Project RU Research Week: Week 14 - Porygon-Z, Marowak-A & Reuniclus

Mac3

im reminded theres no finer place to kiss
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Sorry for the delay, but congratulations to Jaytop31 for winning this week's Research Week!

zizalith used Cobalion and seems to have found it a good sweeper with SD 3 attacks. He was able to catch a lot of people off guard with Stone Edge, as they haphazardly switched in with Chandelure, Alolan Marowak, or Noivern expecting a rocks set. It is useful for offense as it checks a lot of common mons while also, from ziza's experience, being a great breaker. Life Orb was the chosen item as it is able to boost Cobalion's relatively low attack in conjunction with SD to net some important KOs.

Both Jaytop31 and zizalith used Defog Volcanion, as, from ziza's experience the waters often used on RU ladder match up well against subtoxic Volcanion. Jaytop felt the same way, Suicune being able to take advantage of Volcanion often made offensive variants lackluster. This led both to try defog, and they both felt that this set was more useful, as it was able to perform multiple roles and also had a good matchup against the rockers in the tier.

There were no comments on Stakataka, but I assume that it does mostly what it did in gen 7, break under trick room.

Anyway, this week's selection will be:

:ss/politoed:
Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: [insert]
[insert] Nature
-
-
-
-

Rain has seen no usage in tours to my recollection, even though we have Kingdra, Kabutops, Electrics, and Tornadus to abuse it. There are also mons like Toxicroak that appreciate rain to give it passive recovery. Recently we've also seen Slowking rise, which made rain much more viable in theory, as Slowking was one of the biggest counters for rain teams.

:ss/torkoal::ss/ninetales:
[insert] @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
[insert] Nature
-
-
-
-

Similarly to rain, sun has also seen no usage in tours to my knowledge. We still have most of the abusers of sun we had pre-dlc2 as well as Shiftry being unbanned from RUBL. Very few teams have reliable answers to fire types like Darmanitan or Charizard under sun, and Chlorophyll mons like Shiftry and Vileplume are able to take advantage of the fastest common scarfers being base 105s.

:ss/abomasnow::ss/aurorus::ss/vanilluxe:
[insert] @ Icy Rock
Ability: Snow Warning
[insert] Nature
-
-
-
-

Hail saw a resurgence with the release of the fossil's hidden abilities, Slush Rush, the drop of Alolan Ninetales was also big for hail as it gave it a viable setter, although usually, hail wasn't the main focus of the team, Aurora Veil was. In the weeks after the first drops, the number of broken sweepers in the tier could abuse the heightening of their defenses.

In order to participate you must do the following:

• Post here with a fresh RW alt (such as RURW8 Mac3) and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
  • Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
  • Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!
  • Post replays of this Pokemon in action against other teams - don't just tell us, show us
  • The winner of the challenge will be the person who has the highest ladder ranking on the Pokemon Showdown RU ladder with their RW alt at the time the challenge ends. Winners will also receive a permanent spot in this thread's Hall of Fame.
  • Ladder will be checked Sunday the 3rd, 9pm GMT +1

Last edited:

Mac3

:politoed::toxicroak::seismitoad::kingdra::tornadus::ludicolo:

I played 18 games on my alt with Politoed, although I've been using rain for quite a bit in room tours and the like. Rain has a bunch of cool offensive options like Kingdra, Tornadus, Ludicolo, Seismitoad, Kabutops, etc, and these are able to destroy a lot of teams that rely on Zarude as their water resist. Another addition I decided to go with on my rain team was Toxicroak. Toxicroak allows for rain to have a solid Zarude and Suicune check, while also pressuring Registeel and other bulky cores that try to switch around to stall rain turns. From my experiences with rain, I think it's an interesting HO pick, which although reliant on matchup, gets the desired matchup quite often.

GoldCat

BOSSARU CUP WINNER
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a defending SCL Champion
Drought
:ss/torkoal: :ss/shiftry: :ss/heliolisk: :ss/xatu: :ss/porygon2: :ss/darmanitan:
(Click for Pokepaste)
The first sun team I tired out is very akin to the style we've more or less seen throughout the whole generation. The archetype's strengths remain the same; absurdly strong wallbreakers and deadly sweepers. However, the weaknesses have been heavily packing on as meta has progressed with drastic changes due to tier shifts. Xatu is more useless than ever before, struggling immensely to prevent hazards from staple setters such as Rhyperior, Metagross, and Cobalion while only being good against Registeel and Steelix. At least with the Choice Scarf set, you can cripple something with Trick. While providing excellent defensive utility by checking Chandelure, Toxtricity, and Noivern, Porygon2 is also a massive momentum hog despite Teleport. The old sun staples couldn't keep up, nothing surprising there, so let's start over and try something new. First, let's look over the main threats and see if they can be covered while also playing to the playstyle's strength more.

Major threats:
  • :mienshao: -- Choice Scarf Mienshao was a real nuscense with it outspeeding everything without sun up. It easily abuses Torkoal/Xatu/P2 and eventually forces a Knock Off on Torkoal. Mienshao + an Electric was basically a death sentence.​
  • :obstagoon: :heracross: :incineroar: :golisopod: -- Strong Knock Off users were able to easily take advantage of the team due to lack of any switch-ins.​
  • :darmanitan: -- Opposing Choice Scarf Darmanitan was a menace, as it abused the team's own sun and only Shiftry can revenge kill it.​
  • :cloyster: -- Cloyster on Screen cheese doesn't outright win, but it can flinch Torkoal and thus leave you vulnerable later on without sun.​
  • :stakataka: :cresselia: :glastrier: -- The team can stall out the Trick Room turns, but some of the abusers are so fat that they can win in the end.​
:ss/torkoal: :ss/shiftry: :ss/darmanitan: :ss/heliolisk: :ss/mesprit: :ss/mienshao:
(Click for Pokepaste)
The idea with this team is to minimize hazard weakness and reliance on removal. Instead, the focus lies on sheer offensive prowess, and this approach showed a lot more potential very quickly. Who would've guessed that playing to a playstyles strengths yields better results? Like always, boots spam was the answer. I also found Mienshao to be an excellent addition for being the fastest (and best) Choice Scarfer, its Rock-resistance, and Regenerator. A Regenerator Scarfer is amazing for the team, as it can switch in on an offensive threat, take a big hit, and then heal a good chunk after threatening it out. Mesprit's usefulness was a welcomed surprise. Its bulk, typing, access to Knock Off, U-turn, and Healing Wish brings appreciated defensive utility to the team.
Conclusion:
I found sun teams to need a lot more experimenting before becoming as deadly in practice as on paper. It's a matter of finding the 6 'mons which synergize between offense and utility enough to put up a fight against most of the meta. I don't think sun as a playstyle will currently ever truly get rid of its matchup fishing nature, but I guess that's a part of the deal with weather teams. Incineroar being in tier complicates this further. I've only scratched the surface, and there's so much more to explore, which hopefully you try. It might be a fruitless endeavor, but who knows if sun will ever get to shine once again unless someone tries.
Sun setter:
:ninetales: :klefki:
Ninetales is the obvious other choice of sun setter and can work either by itself or together with Torkoal. Ninetales lacks all of the team compression which Torkoal offers with it being a Rocker, Spinner, and creates switch-in opportunities with Yawn. But, it does have a good speed tier and offensive presence. Works best on semi-sun, but on full sun it can be used together with Uxie as the Rocker. Klefki provides Spikes, Defog, Thunder Wave and is a secondary Sun setter.
Sun abusers:
:chandelure: :Charizard: :entei:
All three are a nightmare to switch into under sun. Chandelure's only switch-ins are Porygon2, Snorlax, and Incineroar, but the Snorlax and especially Incineroar weakness holds Chandelure back on sun team's quite a bit, as the style overall struggle a lot with those two 'mons. Switch-ins to Solar Power Charizard are non-exsistent, but being slower than Zarude hurts it a lot and makes a generally inferior choice over Heliolisk. Entei has better Speed, bulk, and access to E-Speed, but worse coverage than Darmanitan. Still, the choice between Darm and Entei is mostly down to personal preference.
Support:
:uxie: :cresselia: :noivern: :incineroar:
Uxie is a nice Rocker on sun without Torkoal or as a secondary Rocker with Torkoal. Cresselia takes on troublesome 'mons like Zygarde-10%, but it's passive. CM Cresselia might work with other weather being non-existent and Moring Sun healing 75% in sun. Noivern is the best hazard removal at sun's disposal tho make sure to cover Diancie. Incineroar helps with Chandelure, has Knock, and it as pivot, but stacks weaknesses which might not be desirable for the team.
Drizzle
:ss/politoed: :ss/seismitoad: :ss/kingdra: :ss/raikou: :ss/klefki: :ss/tornadus:
(Click for Pokepaste)
I never ended up using Rain, but this how I would go along when building: Seismitoad for setting Rocks and Electric immunity, Kingdra is the overall strongest choice for a primary Rain abuser, Raikou to not lose to Thundurus and Xurkitree, Klefki for secondary Rain setter and Zarude check, and lastly Tornadus for its wallbreaking prowess and emergency Rain setting. Like Sun I think Rain teams has potential to be more than a gimmick and a legitimate choice for even tour games, but currently we're far from there and need more experimenting to do with the playstyle.

i wanted to build around :vanilluxe: as opposed to full hail cause the mon was a blast to use in sm and i hadnt seen a single one since i started playing.

:ss/vanilluxe:
Vanilluxe @ Never-Melt Ice
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Ice Shard
- Taunt

i started out with the signature sm set bc i didnt know what else to run. i paired it with xatu and spikes to wear down its checks and protect it from rocks, and it was decently effective in my experience although it still really struggled with steels despite team support. metagross being able to run bulkier sets made the bulky offense matchup very limited in what it could do. taunt and freeze dry let it check cune pretty reliably, which made building with it less awkward than it used to be, but overall it felt pretty mediocre as a breaker unfortunately.

these arent exactly stellar but heres some replays showing off its utility:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ru-1252491519
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ru-1252502174

and the team i was using:
:vanilluxe: :xatu: :golisopod: :seismitoad: :cobalion: :marowak-alola:
Vanilluxe @ Never-Melt Ice
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Ice Shard
- Taunt

Xatu @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Teleport
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Giga Drain

Golisopod @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- Liquidation
- Spikes
- Knock Off

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Knock Off

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
Jolly Nature
- Flame Charge
- Poltergeist
- Fire Punch
- Swords Dance

i soon realized my team was lacking something. something like...
:ss/arctozolt:
Arctozolt @ Life Orb
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 116 Atk / 176 SpA / 216 Spe
Naive Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Low Kick

this thing is so good. it provided decent speed control and some really needed breaking power. like, zolt really does have 0 counters in the tier. the combo of zolt and vanilluxe weakened steel types together for the other to abuse, and allowed it to sweep after vani was no longer needed. i had run it on full hail before, but this time, i only had a semi hail core with vanilluxe, and i was kinda worried it wouldnt have enough turns to do its thing. and yeah, it often was a pretty limiting thing in games. i realized taunt vani just wasted too many turns to take advantage of its breaking capabilities, so i decided to switch sets.

:vanilluxe:
Vanilluxe @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Water Pulse
- Explosion

although this made vani more prediction reliant vs balances, teams without registeel were really hard pressed to switch into this thing. specs blizzard does like 60 to cobalion, after which the mon cannot check either vani or zolt again, and with some chip can 3hko rocks metagross as well. generally it made both hail turns and hazards way more efficient, as its breaking power was boosted significantly from the get go. it also got coverage for fires which are also a threat to hail. when no longer needed to break, vani could come in on a slower mon, set hail and boom on its face to start an arctozolt sweep.

unfortunately i didnt save any replays with the new combo, but ill drop the final version of the team which i though took advantage of the semi hail core really well.
:vanilluxe: :xatu: :suicune: :marowak-alola: :cobalion: :arctozolt:
Vanilluxe @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Water Pulse
- Explosion

Xatu @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Teleport
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Giga Drain

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
Jolly Nature
- Poltergeist
- Fire Punch
- Swords Dance
- Flame Charge

Cobalion @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Volt Switch
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock

Arctozolt @ Life Orb
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 116 Atk / 176 SpA / 216 Spe
Naive Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Low Kick

as for full hail.. although i havent built much with it in this meta i echo the sentiments on full weather teams in the posts above. it is by nature a matchup fishy archetype, but double arcto cores are reeallly hard to switch into, and have ways of bypassing their counters in a way that sun and rain wished they had. its big issue is that even with slush rush they arent super fast and are very vulnerable to scarfers faster than base 95, as well as the obvious defensive holes that stacking ice types brings with it which makes it very tricky to build. again though, id love to see more experimentation with full hail so it can really reach its full potential.

this research week was really fun and id hope the weathers get more usage in ru cuz they are super underexplored atm. pce:blobwizard:

Mac3

Sorry for the delay, but congratulations to GoldCat for winning this week's Research Week!

GoldCat used sun and experienced some difficulties in building. Starting off with the early DLC 1 standard sun archetype he later transitioned to a newer model, turning to a much more offensive variant, with offensive pivots such as Mienshao and Mesprit instead of Xatu and Porygon2. Using HDB spam he was able to forgo hazard control other than Torkoal and instead focus on offensive pressure, with the team being able to volturn around and allow Shiftry good opportunities to set up. However, GoldCat still thinks there are ways to optimize the archetype, as it needs to further balance offense and utility.

This week there were to different rain teams posted, the team GoldCat posted and mine. Both teams shared the core of Politoed, Tornadus, Kingdra, and Seismitoad, although differed in the 5th and 6th slots. GoldCat added Klefki as their Zarude check which provides a third rain setter and spikes, while I added Toxicroak, which helps vs Suicune and bulky steels. Then I added Ludicolo as my 6th mon for a third rain setter and another abuser, however GoldCat added Raikou for another check to electrics such as Xurkitree and Thundurus. We both agreed that rain teams have a lot of potential in this meta, as long as they are explored further.

zizalith used Vanilluxe and had great experiences when using it in conjunction with Arctozolt, although this could be because of Arctozolt's near unwallability within the tier. However, Specs Vanilluxe was also good according to him as teams without Registeel, of which there are many, find it really hard to switch into the ice cream. He never used full hail, but agreed with sentiments shared with other weathers, mu reliant offenses that are generally underexplored.

Moving on, this week's selection will be:

:ss/sylveon:
Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: [insert]
[insert] Nature
-
-
-
-

Sylveon has created a niche as a solid wish passer in this metagame, however, Specs Sylveon is an absolute powerhouse, and with people resorting to Crobat or Steelix as their fairy resists, or even just a blanket check, sylveon is able to rip through a lot of teams right now. However, what'll be interesting to see is how its speed tier impacts its breaking ability, if it does at all.

:ss/regidrago:
Regidrago @ [insert]
[insert] Nature
- Dragon Dance
-
-
-

Regidrago's main drawback is the limited coverage options it has, however with a physical DD set, your able to have coverage for both steels - in fire fang - and also Togekiss - with thunder fang or explosion. This allows Regidrago to be a deadly lategame sweeper, or a way to weaken walls in the midgame for other threats. Although you miss out on Dragon Energy, you gain both a boosting move, and also viable coverage, which Regidrago lacks with the normal special set.

:ss/slowbro-galar:
Slowbro-Galar @ [insert]
[insert] Nature
- Trick
-
-
-

Galarian Slowbro has been used a lot in tours recently so it might seem like a weird mon to do a research week on, however, I wanted to explore Trick Galarbro. This set aims to trick the opponent a choiced item or some other unappreciated item, like a toxic orb or a black sludge, and weaken checks for teammates that share those checks. You could even go mono attacking trick cm, if your team is able to cover what needs to be covered in those cases.

• Post here with a fresh RW alt (such as RURW9 Mac3) and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
  • Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!
  • Post replays of this Pokemon in action against other teams - don't just tell us, show us
  • The winner of the challenge will be the person who has the highest ladder ranking on the Pokemon Showdown RU ladder with their RW alt at the time the challenge ends. Winners will also receive a permanent spot in this thread's Hall of Fame.
  • Ladder will be checked Sunday the 10th, 9pm GMT +1

Last edited:

GoldCat

BOSSARU CUP WINNER
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a defending SCL Champion
Dragon Dance Regidrago
:ss/regidrago:
As someone who has previously only dabbled with Choice Specs Regidrago, it was a real shocker to find out how much more useful the Dragon Dance variant was on average. The most use you got out of Specs Regidrago in an average game was taking advantage of the Fairies and Steels it forced in. But with the DD set, it can actively make progress mostly by itself, although it can do next to nothing against Steelix, Weezing-G, and Doublade. So for the moveset, I decided to go DD + Substitute with Outrage and Thunder Fang. A quick calc showed that Outrage out damages Fire Fang, so I didn't see its appeal. Plus, Substitute makes Regidrago much more effective with it safely setting up against bulky Waters and Registeel. When it came to team-building, I went with two approaches: first, a screens HO team so Regidrago'll have its gargantuan HP stat and actual defenses; the second approach was a more standard build.

Sub + DD Regidragon Screens HO
:regidrago: :druddigon: :klefki: :cloyster: :slowbro-galar: :mimikyu:
(Click for Pokepaste)
Regidrago brings some really nice defensive utility to Screens HO mainly as a Thundurus check. It can even live a +2 Focus Blast from full without Light Screen up. I chose Druddigon as the Rock setter for Glare, which compensates for Regidragon's (and the overall team's) low Speed. Klefki was chosen over Espeon for Spikes to wear down Steelix among others. It also checks Zarude. Cloyster is an excellent partner to Regidrago, as after a Shell Smash you OHKO Doublade and Weezing-G after Rocks with Hydro Pump. Then Slowbro-G and Mimikyu were added, as they work great on Screens. Obviously, they can also help Regidrago by weakening Steel-types.
With this team, I wanted to see how well Regidrago can fit on a standard build. I knew from the start that Regidrago and Toxtricity would make a potent core, as Toxtricity reliably weakens Steelix. Zarude compliments both since it can safely get Toxtricity in against Weezing-G and Togekiss with U-turn. One big downside to the core is how both are slow, which can restrict one's options. Overall, I didn't find Regidrago too difficult to build around, as it brings nice defensive value in a Dragon-typing and average-to-good bulk while its shortcomings weren't hard to cover.
Conclusion:
Honestly, I'm sold. DD Regidrago is a legitimate pick and threat, which can't be written off if there's a Fairy-type on the team like with Specs/Scarf. It currently exploits common teams with Togekiss as the Fairy, especially if another Steel is chosen over Steelix. It has its massive flaws like being defense-less against Steelix, Weezing-G and Doublade. Regidrago's average Speed and bulk doesn't help either. Going by VR standards, I think that Regidrago is currently a strong B- 'mon maybe even B, as it can be incredibly potent when built around with the necessary support.

Dragon Dance Regidraco

I had another but I lost it because my laptop is a jerk it was hard to get them because most of the time the forfeit half way thru when it works. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ru-1258538466-thccij4xesg08ext87z134c0xya4smzpw https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ru-1258661117 https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ru-1258733729

Team Time: I made 2 versions IDK which is better also i'm not the best builder and these were made by only me on purpose so they might be trash https://pokepast.es/438f847994aeae48 deiced to completely base it around him and make it balance because he seemed to go on pretty good he works when he works hes not awesome but good I deiced to use sub dd personally I chose a core of cobaltion sylveon and regidraco + klefki ofensive seismetoad and Scarf Darmantan kinda weird I know but they work.

Back to regidraco he loves to be a counter lead along side colbaltian and klefki because it makes it look like he wont be the lead he wrecks xatu and as they will attempt to roost stall you he also loves coming in on rockers as the rock you sub they attack don't break you dd they panic switch you dd you kill whatever they send in he also destroys cocky togekisses and loves to come in on weak paralyzed targets especially metagross because they cant break you with equake only metor miss meaning free dd and sub also you can para them your self with body slam to be a nuscinse.

Team Time 2: I liked sylveon and regidraco so much I did it again except offense this time https://pokepast.es/af30534d35274f74 alot of the same mons but now bulky utiltitoad that rocks thuderus is just kelfki and gardivoier checks zydog and zarude some other stuff to and no longer sub dd regidraco just dd.

The Verdict: Overall good cant be thrown away and should be considered in building and play not the most splashable mon but with good support definitely a threat able to work on just about all styles of team so in conclusion 7/10 more than a gimmick but not crazy good.

Edit: Also say if you want to learn more about the other mons on the team cause I'm just a bit rushed other wise I would have.

Last edited:
:ss/slowbro-galar:
so the mon i was investigating was trick glowbro. i was kinda stumped on what to make the set but i def knew i wanted to build a team that took advantage of steels being tricked. i ended up using this:

:slowbro-galar:
Slowbro-Galar @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Trick
- Sludge Bomb
- Grass Knot
- Future Sight

now, this set was surprisingly consistent and i often found i was clicking trick at least once per game. i had to build around getting stuff like seismi / regi / doub tricked so i think this sets strengths are very much dependent on the way you build.

here's what i ended up having.
:slowbro-galar::sylveon::articuno::seismitoad::dhelmise::entei:
i ran gknot glowbro because often people threw their seismitoads at me and ruined a trick that could have crippled a more threatening mon like registeel, and also because it wasn't a particularly common move on cm and it was important that the opponent knew that so they would switch their steel types in. it was also effective at keeping hazards off for articuno if that was their rocker. Future sight acted similarly and allowed me to pivot more effectively or lure steels in. with seismi removed or future sight revealed, the targets for trick were often steels like registeel, doublade and metagross. once crippled, the game plan usually revolved around setting hazards and constantly chipping them, at which point both cm sylveon and subtox articuno were able to come out with no counters in between them left.

i only added entei because it fit the color scheme of the team better. darmanitan is probably better.

both of the mons that took advantage of steels being dead are as scary as you would expect once the steel is removed. its also very useful that because steels are so common in the first place neither cm sylv or articuno are common at all, so opponents don't usually expect this on preview, which is a strength that trick bro teams can take advantage of. anyways this mon was super cool and way more consistent than i initially expected - even once something had been crippled it could fire off future sights or sludge bombs that made it very hard for the opponent to position themselves against.

unfortunately today i also learnt i did not save a single replay of me using this team so L

Mac3

Congratulations to GoldCat for winning this week's Research Week!

GoldCat and Drivetacos both used Regidrago to seemingly good success. Goldcat saw that DD Regidrago was much more useful than special, as it could make progress vs fairies by itself, without having to rely on trick ring target to be able to hit fairies. They both thought that Regidrago was easy to build around, and also concluded that although it needed support, it can be extremely dangerous for Togekiss teams, and is a legitimate pick when building.

zizalith used Trick Galarian Slowbro, and was surprised at its consistency. Unlike what I've used in the past, he decided on a more offensive approach, pairing Trick with Sludge Bomb, Grass Knot, and Future Sight, in order to force in steels and then tricking them. To take advantage of this fact, he paired it with Articuno and CM Sylveon, two mons that become extremely dangerous once Steels are gone or weakened. He also noted that it wasn't just a Trick gimmick, and that Slowbro could continue being a threat with Sludge Bomb and Future Sight even after tricking away Black Sludge.

We didn't get any comments on Specs Sylveon, which is a bit unfortunate. Moving on, this week's selection will be:

:ss/Barbaracle:
Barbaracle @ [insert]
Ability: Tough Claws
[insert] Nature
- Grass Knot
- Shell Smash
- Liquidation
- Stone Edge

Barbaracle is an extremely dangerous sweeper thanks to Shell Smash boosting both attacking stats and speed two stages. This allows Barbaracle to sweep through unprepared teams with extreme ease, which is also where Grass Knot comes in. Many teams have Seismitoad as their rocker, and because of this, become very weak to this Barbaracle set.

:ss/Necrozma:
Necrozma @ [insert]
Ability: Prism Armor
[insert] Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Photon Geyser
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor

With generation 8, Necrozma was given access to Dragon Dance. This might allow it to be a dangerous sweeper to common teams that rely on Zarude as their psychic counter. Necrozma does have some issues though, being prone to status and Steelix being so common, although Steelix doesn't do much back unless it's Toxic, which is rather rare.

:ss/Crobat:
Crobat @ [insert]
[insert] Nature
- Nasty Plot
-
-
-

Crobat is a common mon in RU, although not for the set you will be researching this week. The common set is a utility-based one as it has access to Defog, Taunt, and U-turn. However, you will be researching nasty plot, having amazing coverage in Giga Drain and Heat Wave, recovery in Roost, and being able to choose between Air Slash or the more powerful, albeit inaccurate, Hurricane as STAB move.

• Post here with a fresh RW alt (such as RURW10 Mac3) and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
  • Ladder will be checked Sunday the 17th, 9pm GMT +1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)