Ladder ORAS 1v1 [3v3 Team Preview]

This is a really common set, but there are a lot of people who specifically use sets that are capable of defeating FEAR users. I for one try to do so whenever I make a new strategy. Also, why Hidden Power Dark, and why do you have 252 attack EVs?
the EVs don't matter (meant to do sp. attack...) and HP dark hits all foes for at least 1 damage, which is all that is needed. also, some things that counter fear (like stall) don't counter this. most do, but select few don't.

Kushalos

ÜN ÜN ÜN
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
OUPL Champion
I have had a lot of succes with this set on the ladder and i peaked #2 or something, this is my first set i ever made for XY 1v1 so dont h8 plz :x

Stef 2.0 (Charizard-Mega-X) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 212 HP / 64 Atk / 232 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Will-O-Wisp
- Outrage
- Flare Blitz

The HP EVs are to live outrages from scarfed dragons while in normal form:

252 Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Outrage vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Charizard: 264-312 (75.4 - 89.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Outrage vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Charizard: 295-348 (84.2 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

then you dragon dance to outspeed them, you mega-evolve, and proceed to kill them with an Outrage of your own.

Will-o-wisp is a great move for sturdy and multiscale mons like golem and dragonite, who im able to beat one on one.

Flare Blitz is a powerful secondary STAB move that hits steel and ice types harder.

I saw a guy earlier that had a similar moveset posted here(i didn't see that set before i made this one), but imo this EV spread works a lot better, try it out yourself!

Last edited:
I have had a lot of succes with this set on the ladder and i peaked #2 or something, this is my first set i ever made for XY 1v1 so dont h8 plz :x

Stef 2.0 (Charizard-Mega-X) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 212 HP / 64 Atk / 232 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Will-O-Wisp
- Outrage
- Flare Blitz

The HP EVs are to live outrages from scarfed dragons while in normal form:

252 Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Outrage vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Charizard: 264-312 (75.4 - 89.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Outrage vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Charizard: 295-348 (84.2 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

then you dragon dance to outspeed them, you mega-evolve, and proceed to kill them with an Outrage of your own.

Will-o-wisp is a great move for sturdy and multiscale mons like golem and dragonite, who im able to beat one on one.

Flare Blitz is a powerful secondary STAB move that hits steel and ice types harder.

I saw a guy earlier that had a similar moveset posted here(i didn't see that set before i made this one), but imo this EV spread works a lot better, try it out yourself!
Can confirm that it's terrible, loses to my brightpowder Togekiss

Pfft why would you run bright powder when you can use a scarf and win every time
Togekiss @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam
- Fire Blast
- Trick
Get your inner focus ready.
Timid nature and the speed EV are wasted on Togekiss (unless you really really want to outspeed Weavile). Modest + 152 EV outspeeds non-mega, fully invested Gengar and secures possible some OHKO. It gives you a better probability of OHKOing a certain Prankster abuser and Mega-Mawile. Also, Dazzling Gleam isn't really useful (unless you really really really REALLY hate Weavile), Ancient Power deals with Char-Y and Talonflame and has a 20 percent chance of trolling everything.
You should also invest some EV in Def to always live some common attacks (read : Char-X's Flare Blitz).

A few days ago I was second on the ladder with this set :

Mc.Flinch (Togekiss) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 152 Spd / 252 SAtk / 104 Def
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Trick
- Fire Blast
- Ancient Power

Don't use it too much though, otherwise you'll be hated. As far as I know, it only looses to Magnezone, Mega-Aggron, and things that outspeed you AND kill you before you get an Ancient Power boost.

Timid nature and the speed EV are wasted on Togekiss (unless you really really want to outspeed Weavile). Modest + 152 EV outspeeds non-mega, fully invested Gengar and secures possible some OHKO. It gives you a better probability of OHKOing a certain Prankster abuser and Mega-Mawile. Also, Dazzling Gleam isn't really useful (unless you really really really REALLY hate Weavile), Ancient Power deals with Char-Y and Talonflame and has a 20 percent chance of trolling everything.
You should also invest some EV in Def to always live some common attacks (read : Char-X's Flare Blitz).

A few days ago I was second on the ladder with this set :

Mc.Flinch (Togekiss) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 152 Spd / 252 SAtk / 104 Def
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Trick
- Fire Blast
- Ancient Power

Don't use it too much though, otherwise you'll be hated. As far as I know, it only looses to Magnezone, Mega-Aggron, and things that outspeed you AND kill you before you get an Ancient Power boost.
To be fair, Dazzling Gleam provides a secondary STAB, and Ancient Power does worse against the Charizards because it can't flinch, which is bad when you're locked in.

And ashiemore, this is why:
Mawile used Iron Head!
NOT HAX avoided the attack!

Hey guys! I was tirelessly searching for an answer to a lot of the common 'mons lurking around in 1v1, and I found something with a lot of potential! And it's original! >:}
"Please don't copy me, or... I'll sue!" >:{

Sedimentary (Crustle) (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sturdy
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 156 Spd / 252 Atk / 100 HP
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Rock Wrecker
- X-Scissor
- Counter

I know what you might be thinking at first glance, but this set really works for me! I tested this under a new name and got to 21W-3L in around a half hour.

Lum Berry allow it to beat FEAR Aron and gives you a free turn against Prankster 'mons that tried to status Crustle. (You need to play a little prediction mind-game against those with FEAR Magnemite or else it will be able to stall out X-Scissor's PP.)

Max out that Attack to do as much damage as possible. 156 Speed EVs are needed for Crustle to attack faster than base 100 Speed 'mons with a positive speed nature like the extremely common Charizard and it's Mega-Evos. "Ha! And by 2 measly points too." I just dumped the rest into HP to give it some nice bulk.

Shell Smash is mainly for boosting Attack and Speed, giving you a chance to OHKO if you're against a (hopefully, after the boost) slower 'mon that either attacked or tried to use a status move.

Rock Wrecker's the most powerful Rock-type move there is. So it will nicely dent anything that might resist it. "That recharge turn sucks though..."
+2 252+ Atk Crustle Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aegislash-Shield: 117-138 (36.1 - 42.5%)
+2 252+ Atk Crustle Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aegislash-Blade: 234-276 (72.2 - 85.1%)

X-Scissor is for STAB. And you all should know what Counter's for. But just in case you don't know...

Sturdy and Counter go very well together against most physical attackers. "G'night, Dragonite and Slaking." It's all easy picking, unless they have Sturdy also... and not a lot of 1v1 'mons have Sturdy. (It has a small problem against Prankster 'mons. It loses to ExtremeSpeed, and it's a bit of a crapshoot trying to Counter 'mons with mixed sets.)

Last edited:
Well here are a few of my tactics. I made it to the #8 position on the ladder in 1v1, but then I accidentally laddered with that alt and got haxed 3 games in a row x_x

Anyways, here are the teams I use-

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Speed
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron head
- Play Rough

I bet most of you people have seen this before. =P Yeah, its pretty common.

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
Adamant Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Roost

I keep it bulky so that it can take some hits. Will o wisp really hinders physical attackers. A fast version of this is also viable.

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP/252 SAtk/8 Speed
Modest Nature
- Water Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Counter/Mirror Coat
- Substitute

Substitute is to defend against stallers out there in 1v1. Luckily, most stallers are slow, so this makes it a bit easy. I keep alternating between counter and mirror coat, since I find both pretty effective in countering sweepers

Ok here's the last. And this is particularly my fave-

Aggron @ Leftovers/Lum Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef
IVs: 0 Speed
Relaxed Nature
- Protect
- Counter
- Metal Burst
- Heavy Slam/Taunt/Substitute

Now this set NEEDS low speed. So go with 0 speed combined with relaxed nature. You want that metal burst to hit last. First use protect to scout your opponent's move. Then set out for Metal burst or Counter accordingly. This pretty much makes it one of the best sweep-killers. Heavy slam is a filler move. If you're going to use leftovers as your item, go with Heavy Slam. But if you're going with Lum Berry, use Taunt or sub. This helps shut down stallers. Suppose you're against a sableye, and it uses will o wisp. You heal with lum berry, and then you taunt it or put in a sub. However, metal burst and taunt work out better against whimsicott, which carries encore.

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
Adamant Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Roost

I keep it bulky so that it can take some hits. Will o wisp really hinders physical attackers. A fast version of this is also viable.
Togekiss and Whimsicott say hi.

Anyway, that bulk doens't really help when it comes to Cube or CharX's Outrage (Every offensive dragon will outspeed and kill you). I don't say it's a bad set, but Char is better at OHKOing slower things or faster mons lacking super effective coverage.
I think you should drop Outrage or Earthquake for Flare Blitz. While the recoil is annoying for something that tries to be bulky, it will prevent things like Air Balloon Aegislash or Whimsicott from ruining your day, and gives a chance in a million of getting past Togekiss.

Yozora - Hmm yeah you're probably right. Maybe I'll try that out. Aegislash has king's shield to stop flare blitz, but that probably wouldn't matter, since will O wisps shut down offensive aegislashes. I may need flare blitz for special sets though...

Furfrou @ Leftovers
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 8 Spd / 248 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Cotton Guard
- Baby-Doll Eyes
- Protect
- Toxic

This is my best friend which is a good jirachi, aggron, kangaskhan, kyurem-b, mawile (every physical attacker) what i just do it spam baby doll eyes, and when i know i will survive next turn i pop up a cotton guard an when i get the oppurtunity i give them a toxic, what totally beats this set are special attackers, stallers and taunt users.

blinkie

¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯ dank meme crew
Furfrou @ Leftovers
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 8 Spd / 248 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Cotton Guard
- Baby-Doll Eyes
- Protect
- Toxic

This is my best friend which is a good jirachi, aggron, kangaskhan, kyurem-b, mawile (every physical attacker) what i just do it spam baby doll eyes, and when i know i will survive next turn i pop up a cotton guard an when i get the oppurtunity i give them a toxic, what totally beats this set are special attackers, stallers and taunt users.
Hi, this loses to anything that is immune to toxic and even if you aren't immune to toxic a special attacker will beat it(or just a crit)

lol it pp stalls the stuff that are immume
Aegislash is immune to toxic and can bypass Cotton Guard with Sacred Sword and SD. And a lot of things carry Toxic to deal with PP Stallers lacking recovery, and will win since they can damage you with direct attacks. Other steel types (Aggron, Jirachi, Excadrill) will just wait for a crit. Magic Guard trolls this set hard, so do Substitute (hi Whimsicott), Magic Coat, Rest, SD Mawile, MegaCham...
It does beat most physical sweepers, but Mold Breakers are really common and will most likely outspeed and OHKO. If you want to beat all physical sweepers that badly, try Intimidate, Sturdy+Counter+Lum or Sableye.

It's a fun set to use if you can pull it out, though :).

fufrou stalled alot aggrons and mega mawiles
Well, almost every single Mawile runs Sword Dance and :
+5 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. +6 248 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Furfrou: 119-141 (33.7 - 39.9%) -- 27.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
It will last several turns but I can't see how Mawile could lose this.

ok, I found something that brought me first on the ladder on pokemon showdown,

FrogGG (Greninja) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Hydro Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ground]/Hidden Power [Fire]/Echoed Voice
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot/Dark Pulse

this set is awesome, choice specs with modest nature and protean rocks
hydro cannon is there to kill stuff that is neutral or resistance to th other 3 moves,
hidden power ground is there for the magnezones and mawiles
you may wanna use hidden power fire if the magnezones have air balloon
echoed voice could work well against yache berry whimsicott and other stuff spamming substitute or stallig with protect.
ice beam kills garchomp, dragonite and whimsicott.
grass knot is for gyarados-mega.
Dark Pulse is there if there are any mirror coaters.
(just basically slap any of the moves + hydro cannon on to counter your opponent well)
IM 1!!!.png

Last edited:
Hollywood posed a question the other day about Focus Sash being banned. To be honest, it was included in the bans because it existed in the BW 1v1 OM.

I would like to know what you guys feel. Should Focus Sash be allowed in 1v1, or would it be bad for the metagame?

I think that Focus Sash should be allowed. It hasn't been tested since BW1 (if I read correctly), and I know that the metagame has changed a lot since then. If it proves to still be OP, we can just ban it again.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm not sure if it should be allowed or not, but I do think it merits testing.

The thing I don't like about Focus Sash in 1v1 is that it kind of centralizes thing around strong priority. A lot of games in 1v1 w/ Sash are Turn One: hit something very hard -> Turn Two: priority. I remember I laddered up to no. 1 a few times in the early stages of having the ladder with Dragonite and Sash Breloom because both of them did this so well.

But the thing I do like about Focus Sash metagame is that shit like SPECS HYDRO CANNON GRENINJA CAN'T JUST AUTO WIN AGAINST ME.

so it's a toss-up really.

Last edited:

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
Keep in mind that XY has given us many bulky attackers, especially most mega evolutions, who can easily defeat common Focus Sash users (re: mostly frail attackers) with a combination of their sheer bulk and offensive stats.

Hollywood posed a question the other day about Focus Sash being banned. To be honest, it was included in the bans because it existed in the BW 1v1 OM.

I would like to know what you guys feel. Should Focus Sash be allowed in 1v1, or would it be bad for the metagame?
Sashed+Counter Blissey anyone ? (I'm kidding)

I think it would balance things like Banded Cube or Pixilate Hyper Beam a bit (although I'm a huge fan of Gardevoir), but do we seriously want Sash+Leech Seed Whimsicott, for god sake ?

EDIT : Cottonee would be better because of the lower HP stat. Or even worse : FEAR Whimsicott.

It would also nerf Weakness Policy users (Magnezone, Aegislash), which is kinda sad.

Okay, I play a bit of 1v1, I'm not great seeing as I peaked at like 214 on the top 500 as EAZY-E C.R.E.A.M. I've only ran one pokemon the whole time
SUCKU PUNCHU (Mawile) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Fire Fang

Here's the reasoning behind fire fang, when I sat down and spent a night playing and tweaking this thing, Genesect was very popular, and Kyurem-B was getting one hit by an Iron head, so I dropped play rough and countered Scizors and Genesects all night long. Would it be worth keeping fire fang, or should I switch over to play rough once more. I'm like 40 wins 18 losses if anyones interested

EDIT: Also, focus sash would be such a huge pain in the arse, it just makes the prankster teams or stuff with counter so much harder to deal with
EDIT 2: So I changed fire fang for play rough, its way better, as of writing I got myself up to rank 40 so that's cool. Mawile is incredible in this tier, sucker punches do so much, and you got bulk coming out of your ears, with a shit ton of resistances.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)