Ladder ORAS 1v1 [3v3 Team Preview]

I just made a new 1v1 pokemon for fun and i was wondering something about it..

Sylveon @ life orb
ability: pixilate
ev's: 252 spd / 252 sp.a / 4 hp
modest nature
-calm mind
-draining kiss
-hyper beam
-hyper voice

So what I was wondering is should I stick with the life orb/calm mind combo or if I would be better off with choice specs. I'm just looking for the highest burst potential in one hit

Last edited:
i'm pretty sure if anything sticking 3 fairy type moves isn't the way to go

just use choice specs and hyper beam, and maybe coverage moves (shadow ball, hidden power and... something, maybe hyper voice)

These are the sets I use

Golem @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
(Don't worry, I made this 2 months before Dun Deal released it)

Or you can use Golem's twin brother, who gets better boosts:

Crustle @ Weakness Policy
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Aerial Ace

Then there are the obvious powerhouses:

Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Coverage move

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter (to negate intimidate; moxie can be used too)
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Giga Impact
- Stone Edge

And finally, the bane of all physical attackers:

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Reflect
- Toxic
- Rest

Just saying, this beat an adamant mega T-tar with earthquake one on one. It laughs at mega heracross too.

I had a really lovely Sawk set I used in BW, and although it now has more potential, grace á Knock Off, it doesn't quite work as well because a Salac Berry is no subsitute for a Custap Berry.

Sawk @ Salac Berry (miss u Custap, come back in Z)
Jolly Nature, 252Atk/4SpDef/252Spd
IVs: 0HP
-Close Combat
-Knock Off
-Earthquake/Stone Edge
-Ice Punch/Stone Edge

Basically... Smash things really damn hard. You can wreck anything that doesn't resist with Close Combat. Knock Off sorts Ghosts and Psychics which Sawk couldn't handle in the past. Ice Punch helps you getting around Whimsicott and dragons, although WP Dragonite needs to be Knock Offed first. Stone Edge hits harder on single-resists and screws Talonflame rightly. It's a tough toss-up. Maybe EQ is superfluous to this set now. A single-resisted CC is better than a neutral Ice Punch, for reference.
The EVs and IVs are weird. 0HP IVs to reduce the amount of HP SubSeed trolls recover (looking at you you stupid cotton ball). 4SpDef means all Genesect are going to get an attack boost. Haha.
However, this set sort of depended on Custap. Getting down to 1HP, you goddamn needed priority. Salac doesn't cut it. Especially not with priority being a really big thing this generation. Although this set has, theoretically, really nice coverage... Them Game Freaks took our Custap berries. Curse them.

I think you mean mold breaker because moxie is completely useless in 1 vs 1.
mold breaker can be used, but hyper cutter is to stop intimidaters. And after a bit of testing, replacing stone edge with protect works to stop fake outs and stuff.

EDIT: Derp, I put moxie instead of mold breaker. just. fail.

Last edited:
One pretty good set that got me like 106 on the ladder.

Hit Hard (Mawile) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Fire Fang
- Play Rough

Works out really well when fighting physical attackers, because of Intimidate. Then takes most things out in one hit like Garchomp, and only really things like Mega Venusaur, And Aegislash counter it.

In the Smeargle set, what if you replaced dark void with kings shield? Kings shield could be much better than hitting grass types, depending on how the metagame goes, because you can survive hits from physical attackers.

Swellow @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Facade
- Protect
- Quick Attack

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Protect
- Dazzling Gleam

Guts Swellow got me a 9 win streak on the ladder until I faced someone running a pokemon whose job is LITERALLY TO COUNTER SWELLOW like Max HP D-nite with its multiscale intact and every physical wall with a high base power move. Still can't take a hit, and the status orb ensures that it doesn't live long. Too bad most things that don't resist STAB Guts-boosted StatusFacade and are not a physical wall tend to die in one hit. :)

This Whimsicott set arose out of a fear of Flash Cannon and some guy running scarf kyubey with ice beam. Tends to not give the slightest fuck about dragons. Whimsicott<3

This peaked at 1590:

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Dance
- Swords Dance Will-O-Wisp

I use both 1v1 stabs because the drawbacks don't really matter in 1v1. Will-O-Wisp is for Mega Gyarados who kept trolling this set before. Dragon Dance to break through walls and beat some faster threats who can't OHKO Charizard X.

I peaked at 1731 at 6th overall on the ladder under the name "LakeTrout" with this:

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

All I have to say is this thing is an absolute monster, give it a try and see for yourself.

Last edited:
Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Giga Drain / Sludge Bomb

Personally, this set appeals to me. Venusaur has excellent defenses in addition to effectively having two weaknesses: Poison and Flying. This set relies on seed-stalling the opponent, while also being able to immobilize the opponent. Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb can be exchanged, Giga Drain for extra healing + damage, and Sludge Bomb for dealing with Whimsicott, one of the only Pokémon in the metagame holding an immunity to Leech Seed.

With smeargle's set, if you get the oppo to sleep, will it definitely stay asleep until after you've transformed? Cus every time I fight one of these bastards, I never wake up in time.

Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Hyper Beam

This set always satisfy me. Hyper Beam hits like nothing and since steel doesn't resist dark you can choose HP Fire to roast things like scizor and ferro and dark pulse to destroy bronzong and rachi.

I know this is a 13 day old thread, but I honestly don't care.
Using these two sets, I peaked at number 10 on the ladder, although ferrothorn is still a problem:

Haxorus @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker (die dragonite and sturdy abuse)
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Poison Jab (for mega gardevoir)
- Superpower (i forget why i have this)
- Rock Slide (to secure kill on charizard y)

A better version of Kyurem-B that beats Kyurem-B one on one. It's all situational though (if you run jolly, there's a small chance you can't kill said kyurem-b). Destroys half the metagame.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Scald (often games come down to first turn burn, but idc)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Calm Mind (for spdef raise)

Standard physically defensive crocune that walls lots of stuff like anything that isn't a strong special attacker.

Bean

༼ ͒ ̶ ͒༽༼ ͒ ̶ ͒༽༼ ͒ ̶ ͒༽
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
kyuB.png

Let's get some Kyurem-B hype up in here!

I used this set a lot in gen 5 and it allowed my to get many alts high on the 1v1 ladder, but with the addition of fairies in gen 6, my good friend Kyurem-B has become drastically less effective (it's still good though).

Stef (Kyurem-Black) @ Haban Berry
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 192 Atk / 64 SAtk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt / Ice Beam
- Substitute
- Earth Power / Ice Beam

Haban Berry: Halves damage taken from a super effective Dragon-type attack. Single use

This set will beat all dragons, assuming they are not also running Haban berry.

Outrage - Used for obvious reasons, Outrage secures an OHKO on all dragons and frail pokemon like Greninja.

Fusion Bolt - A good coverage move, it allows Stef to beat Gyarados and other aquatic threats.

Ice Beam - Although noticeably weaker due to it's special nature, Ice Beam hits ground and grass (FU Whimsicott) types super effectively, which makes up for the drop in power.

Substitute - In my opinion this move is essential in 1v1, as it allows Kyurem-Black to dodge any status moves headed it's way, along with fooling unsuspecting Counter / Mirror Coat users. Also great for bulkier opponents such as Deoxys-D and the pink blobs.

Earth Power - A useful ground type move is vital in OHKOing Steel-type threats such as Heatran. This move is a little outdated because it was originally for the commonly used Aggron w/ Metal Burst set of gen 5.

PROS
  • Teravolt allows Kyurem to beat Sturdy FEAR users, like aron.
  • A mixture of Physical and Special attacks helps to beat Counter / Mirror Coat users.
  • It looks really cool.
CONS
  • It can do nothing against fairies even with Iron Head (hence I have not included it here).
  • Mega-Mawile is so common and I cri every time.
  • Avalugg is too bulky.

Thanks for reading.

(Credits to Kushalos for helping in the creation of this set)

Posting my most successful set:

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 152 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 100 Def
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Thunder Wave
- Psychic
- Moonlight

Use Toxic, spam Moonlight. If you can't poison it, paralyze it and spam Psychic as much as possible. Deals with most of the meta's common threats, including level 1 things, most Kyu-B's, and Blast Burn Charizards. I've even beaten Mawile and Aggron before. This set actually got me around the top 10 of the ladder, as sad as that is.

And one I just started using today:

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Frustration

I like this a lot. Standard Smogon OU set, except with added benefits; Mold Breaker allows you to beat anything Sturdy, (Magnemite, Aggron, Nosepass, etc.). Otherwise, mega evolve to get Aerilate Frustration, which 2HKOs pretty much anything hit neutrally. Most resists can be taken out with Earthquake. Swords Dance is to set up if you're not doing enough damage already. Quick Attack beats stupidity like Whimsicott and gives you a chance to knock out Smeargles.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/1v1-111447485

Aron @ Shell Bell
Level: 1
EVs: 252 Atk
- Endeavor
- Hidden Power [Dark]
- Protect
- Toxic

pretty self-explanatory; nosepass, aron, and donophan are the only viable FEAR users due to the focus sash ban. and this little guy can work around it's lack of priority move with shell bell + HP dark (because HP dark hits literally everything for at least 1 damage, which is all that is needed). protect and toxic are leftovers counters. sandstorm is not used because sandstorm does not do more damage than leftovers. maybe use protect to see what the opponent's going to do?
EDIT: just beat stall. toxic FTW
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/1v1-111448963

Last edited:

Aron @ Shell Bell
- Endeavor
- Hidden Power [Dark]
- Protect
- Toxic

pretty self-explanatory; nosepass, aron, and donophan are the only viable FEAR users due to the focus sash ban. and this little guy can work around it's lack of priority move with shell bell + HP dark (because HP dark hits literally everything for at least 1 damage, which is all that is needed). protect and toxic are leftovers counters. sandstorm is not used because sandstorm does not do more damage than leftovers. maybe use protect to see what the opponent's going to do?
This is a really common set, but there are a lot of people who specifically use sets that are capable of defeating FEAR users. I for one try to do so whenever I make a new strategy. Also, why Hidden Power Dark, and why do you have 252 attack EVs?

Bean

༼ ͒ ̶ ͒༽༼ ͒ ̶ ͒༽༼ ͒ ̶ ͒༽
Posting my most successful set:

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 152 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 100 Def
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Thunder Wave
- Psychic
- Moonlight

Use Toxic, spam Moonlight. If you can't poison it, paralyze it and spam Psychic as much as possible. Deals with most of the meta's common threats, including level 1 things, most Kyu-B's, and Blast Burn Charizards. I've even beaten Mawile and Aggron before. This set actually got me around the top 10 of the ladder, as sad as that is.

And one I just started using today:

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Frustration

I like this a lot. Standard Smogon OU set, except with added benefits; Mold Breaker allows you to beat anything Sturdy, (Magnemite, Aggron, Nosepass, etc.). Otherwise, mega evolve to get Aerilate Frustration, which 2HKOs pretty much anything hit neutrally. Most resists can be taken out with Earthquake. Swords Dance is to set up if you're not doing enough damage already. Quick Attack beats stupidity like Whimsicott and gives you a chance to knock out Smeargles.
I really like the Cresselia set, and having faced it numerous times I can tell you that it is really annoying to face. I'm pretty sure it beats every pokemon on my rotation. I'm just wondering if it's wise to run both Thunder Wave and Toxic, consindering you can only use one of them, but I haven't used the set so I wouldn't know. Pinsir is good too but I find that it is easily beaten by some common threats like mega-mawile.

Aron @ Shell Bell
- Endeavor
- Hidden Power [Dark]
- Protect
- Toxic

I've faced this set and many similar to it, and I feel that it is really quite niche in that it won't really beat players who are prepared. I always carry sub and once I have subbed down for the 4th time there is nothing this set can do against me.

Aron @ Shell Bell
- Endeavor
- Hidden Power [Dark]
- Protect
- Toxic

A cool set i'm running that can stop FEAR users and also performs well against kyub, gyarados and basically anything that isn't running a flying or a powerful fire attack:

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 224 HP / 32 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Arm Thrust
- Rock Blast
- Pin Missile

With 224 HP Hera still mantains its solid bulk while the 32 speed EVs are to creep other Heracross.

ashiemore

stardust heart
Wow how did I go so long without even noticing this thread existed

I did most of it with five sets, primarily this unorthodox Deoxys-D one:
Deoxys-Defense @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 120 SpD / 136 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Recover
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
Although some might say Deoxys's HP is too low for Countercoat, this is surprisingly not the truth. With 252 HP EV's, it reaches 304 HP, much more than half of most of the metagame. Taunt is another great move to set it apart from other Counter/Mirror coat users, and the Speed EV's and nature let it outpace Smeargle by 1 point and taunt it before it can use Spore (barring a Quick Claw activation) as well as many other threats that would ruin the Countercoat strategy with status or setup moves. 120 Special Defense EV's let it always survive a Blast Burn from Modest Mega Charizard Y and use Mirror coat. Counter and Mirror Coat are obvious, and recover lets it continue to Counter/Mirror coat against opponents with massive HP stats such as Chansey.

Faster opponents with Taunt or a setup move have their way against this Deoxys (Whimsicott comes to mind) as well as physical Ghost types (Aegislash, Banette) and special Dark types (Greninja). However, in general it is easy to use and will net you a lot of wins.

There were also other good sets to use depending on expected opponents

Mawile @ Mawilite
EVs: 220 HP / 252 Atk / 36 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Mawile is the #1 thing that keeps dragon-types from running rampant in the meta like they did last gen. It also has impressive physical bulk, allowing it to take neutral hits like a champ and even some super effective ones; then it hits back with Iron Head (or Play Rough) off effectively base 260 attack. Iron Head is the main attacking move for its reliablility and decent power, and Play Rough is a good secondary STAB to threaten Dragon types and some Pokémon that resist Iron Head. Sucker Punch hits steel types for neutral damage (although most of those will ruin Mawile anyway), but more importantly allows it to finish off targets that have been brought into KO range by a STAB move, such as WP Dragonite or Aegislash. Swords dance takes the last slot to take down Chansey and sometimes Aggron.

The inability to beat the very common Charizard (both megas) is Mawile's greatest downfall, as it is OHKO'ed by any Fire-type STAB from zard-y and Flare Blitz from zard-x. There are many other things that can beat it with enough luck/prediction (Aggron, Arcanine) but it is still one of the best Pokémon in 1v1.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature
- Counter
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled

With the given set, Chansey is able to defeat most opponents that lack a boosting move; simply use Counter against physical attackers and stall out special attackers with a combination of Toxic, Seismic Toss, and Softboiled. All non super-effective physical hits (and most super effective ones) fail to OHKO Chansey and it guarantees and OHKO in return with Counter. However, Choice Band fighting-types as well as Mega Lucario can OHKO Chansey, preventing it from using Counter. Anything with Taunt and a recovery move does the job as well. Chansey is a simple Pokémon, but that doesn't mean it's easy to beat it (unless your name is Bean)

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naughty Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SDef
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Outrage
- Ice Beam

Scarf Kyurem-B is the one of the only Pokémon that can beat both Mega Charizards at the same time (Beating Mega Aggron is a big plus as well). Anything lacking good physical defenses is smashed my Outrage, Fusion Bolt lets it hit things immune/resistant to Outrage while still using its famed Attack stat. Ice Beam is, surprisingly, mainly to hope for a freeze vs things you can't beat otherwise such as Chansey and Deoxys-D. Earth Power will 2HKO Mawile and OHKO with a crit which is useful as you can't harm Mawile otherwise (Kyurem-B will still usually lose to Mawile) and hits Aegislash for the most damage of any of the moves.

Mawile is the chief counter to this Kyurem-B, taking all of its moves at least once and OHKOing with Iron Head. Chansey does the same thing well, KOing with counter if it decides to use Outrage and only losing to an unlucky Ice Beam freeze. Aegislash can also take Kyurem-B's attacks and KO with Iron Head or Flash Cannon.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Overheat/Blast Burn
- Substitute/Focus Blast/Earthquake
- Dragon Pulse
- Solar Beam

This Charizard is the main thing that restricts teambuilding because only a handful of things can beat it. This is thanks to its incredible combination of Drought, massive special attack, and high-powered Fire-type STAB. Overheat is the main STAB because it does an amazing amount of damage in a burst and can still be used afterward to do good damage. However, Blast Burn gives the edge in power for a recharge turn, and still with OHKO almost everything, but is still the lesser option. Substitute gives it an easier time against users of status, while Focus Blast and Earthquake allow it to defeat Heatran (lacking Ancientpower). Solarbeam is for Rock and Water types that would ruin Charizard's day, and Dragon Pulse allows it to damage Charizard X. It should be noted that it no circumstance should you ever use Air Slash on Charizard, as it gives no coverage and deprives you of a valuable coverage move. It's not even worth it for the flinch chance.

This Charizard mainly loses against Chansey, who takes all of its attacks, and Scarf Kyurem-B who outspeeds and OHKO'es with Outrage. Dragonite it an excellent counter as well, as it can take Dragon Pulse and KO with Outrage. Usually, faster Pokémon with a very strong or super effective move can beat Charizard.

That was a wall of text Hope this helped, and see you on the ladder!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)