Blue Frog's Thread Spam

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
What do you do when you start making a region?
You make a huge map of it of course

The words underneath the title of the location are notes on it. The black stars (★) indicate that the evil crime team, team Umbra, appear there, which is a big part of the storyline, obviously. If there is an asterisk next to the location name, it means that there is something significant in the town (other than team Umbra) or the things that happen within the area are extremely vital to the plot of the story. I don't want to spoil anything yet, and I'll update this periodically with more and more of the storyline while still continuing the fakedex.

Last edited:

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
This is one buff Malamar

for once I actually like the background in this. I think it fits well with the foreground.

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Do you see that big, ugly map of my region 3 posts ago?
I made a better looking map for it.

The first map was definitely not to scale, and this one has no labels, but if you can try to guess which city is which on this map if you want and then reply, because, you know, I really want to break this posting streak.

Oh also my region is based off of Hong Kong island. Yeah. That is all.

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Most of my updates now are going to be fakedex related, so yay for you if you like badly designed pokemon, ugly drawn people, and a lot of words.

"WELCOME TO THE JEIKU REGION! Here, you will discover your very own Pokemon adventure blah blah blah blah blah blah!

(in this, there will be commentary from me, which will be in blue. Events which occur are in yellow, and within these symbols <>. Dialog is in black)

ok the opening scene of the game is identical to every single other Pokemon game, except the professor is a woman named professor Fern and she looks like this:

she proceeds to ask you all the normal questions like are you a boy or a girl and whats your name and all that stuff. If you look on the 3rd page theres a really old and bad drawing of the boy and the girl; it was so bad I decided to redraw it so here

then she asks your name, all that stuff, whatever. she also shows you the guy who will be the rival of the game

and she asks his name. His real name is supposed to be Preston, but you'll probably name him something like ASSFACE or something. He's a real dickhead anyway so he deserves it.

Then she's all like, YOUR ADVENTURE IS ABOUT TO BEGIN and then she shrinks you and thats when the real story starts.

<You are in your home, in Brightfern Town, watching the news. It is talking about the evil crime syndicate, Team Umbra>

News Anchor: "Police are still trying to locate the missing girl and her Pokemon, who are believed to have been abducted by members of Team Umbra. The girl was the daughter of the Mayor of Ethicode town..."

<Your mom appears>

Mom: (Player Name), you need to get up from the TV for once! Go outside and get some exercise!

<You get up>

Mom: Thank you.

<She leaves>
oh by the way I forgot to draw the mom. i'll do it later.

<You're supposed to go down the stairs and go outside. When you get outside, you are greeted by your rival who's right outside your door>

Rival: Oh hey, (Player Name)! How's it goin'?

<Suddenly there is a loud scream>

Rival: What was that?

<You approach the sound of the scream, which coming from the Pokemon Professor's lab. Inside, you see the Professor, Fern, cornered by two team Umbra grunts.>
the grunts look like this:

i am aware that they look like raven from teen titans, and that it's probably hard to do grunt work in those outfits— you'd probably trip a lot— but i spent a lot of time trying to draw that guy's hand, so you'd better appreciate it.

Fern: Let go of me!

Grunt 1: Not until you give us the research!

Fern: Never!

Rival: (Player Name), we have to help!

<Suddenly the professor's aide comes inside the room. He is holding a yellow bag.>

Aide: Professor, I brought your new Pokemo— AAAAHHHH!!!!!

<He runs out of the lab, dropping the bag behind him>

Rival: There, (Player Name)! Inside the bag! We can use those Pokemon to fight and distract the grunts!

<You both run up to the bag>

Rival: Here, you can get yours first.

<Inside the bag are the three starters, Calflora, Fryno, and Ophiorb (refer to the first post for more info). You choose one of them>

Rival: Alright, I'll take this one then. Let's beat these guys!
of course he takes the one with the type advantage because he has to have an unfair advantage

<You approach the two grunts>
Rival: I'll take the ugly one!

<You go to the first grunt>
Grunt: Ha, do you seriously think you can beat me?

<You engage in battle. The grunt has a level 5 Beakie with the moves Tackle and Growl. Professor Fern is watching the battle, giving you battle advice along the way>

Fern: Great job! You've helped me so much, now let me help you! (gives you all those pointers that they do at the first battle)

Grunt: Hey! Stop helping him/her! That isn't fair!

(If you win)
Grunt: But... how? You're just a kid!

(If you lose)
Grunt: Haha! Now onto getting the research!

<After the battle, regardless of winning or losing. You don't white out if you lose the battle, by the way.>

Grunt 2: Come on, we can still get the computer!

<The two grunts both run to Professor Fern's computer>

Grunt 1: H-Hey! why won't this turn on?

Fern: Because, while you two were distracted while battling those kids, I was able to dismantle my computer and preserve my information elsewhere.

Grunt 1: Uh oh, let's get out of here!

<Two policemen enter>

Policeman 1: Not so fast, you two! You're under arrest!

<The policemen walk to the grunts and then lead them away>

Fern: Wow, that was amazing, you two! Great job!

<Fern's aide walks in>

Aide: Um... uh... professor, the ultra-rare Pokemon you requested are here for you...

Fern: Hmm... they're not mine anymore. (she faces you and your rival). Hey, how would you two like to keep those Pokemon?

Aide: B-but...

Fern: Quiet, you! (facing back to you) What I just witnessed was a special bond between you and your Pokemon, that I've never seen before. You two are destined for greatness. I'm sure of it. I'm giving you these Pokemon as a gift. Would you like that?

Rival: Yes, yes! Of course we would! Thank you so much!

Fern: And I think you two are just the right people for a mission I'm thinking of! Take these.

<She goes up to you and gives you a Pokedex>

Fern: That is a Pokedex. In it, you can register all the Pokemon you find.

Rival: Does- does this mean—

Fern: You are now official Pokemon Trainers!

<She goes up to you again>

Fern: Here, take these.

<She gives you 5 Pokeballs>

Fern: Use all these tools I've given you, as well as your new friend, for good. I'm certain that you two can change the world if you try.
yuck, cheesy, mushy shit, but professor fern gets cooler after this. just watch.

Rival: Awesome!! Mark my words, (player name), I'm going to be the greatest person this world has ever seen!

<He rushes out of the lab, and at that point you are free to roam around the town and stuff as you will>

yay, the first part has been completed. cool cool cool. i'm pretty sure no one really cares anyway, so for those of you who've gotten this far, i commend you for your stamina. stay tuned for the next instalment of the jeiku region story!

Last edited:

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Most of my updates now are going to be fakedex related
ok screw that
i got bored of the whole region thing by the time i finished writing that huge script

I've been talking to myself for the past two weeks and so i really hope that this next drawing will be good/bad enough to warrant a reply.
In honor of Ellie Goulding's repackaged album coming this month, I drew her (again). It's not amazing, but I spent a crapload of time on it (by my standards), and I'm happy with the way it turned out. Hopefully fellow Gouldiggers will appreciate it or something. Hopefully.

~Why don't you be the artist, and make me out of clay?~

Ok yeah this is a good context to also show everyone this awesome song by her that came out recently

Last edited:
Well done on your posting streak record! You must feel very happy!

Nah I like your Ellie Golding piece as it looks a lot like her but one thing to improve would be the nose as it looks ... Unnatural idk but
this might help to improve the nostrils and stuff. I also like the pose of the Tropius and your art is less hazy definitely, although I do like your style of Haines in pictures such as Yveltal and jellicent (which I really like). I also like the brush you used in the Cotton Candy pokemon (sorry forgot its name) as it kind of looks like an oil painting! Also hope your next post streak isn't so long lol!

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Thanks, Hollymon! I do think that I need to un-blur some of my images, however.

I drew two versions of the same image; the first is very flat but I think it's very sharp and not blurry at all, and the other is closer to my old pieces and more 3D, and I hope it's not too blurry.

Flatter:

3D-er (?):

Which one do you guys prefer?

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Most definitely the latter. The former has a very flat shading, where the shades and highlights stay very close to the lineart and edges of Virizion. The latter, however, have the shades and lights stretch further into the body to show off its curves and overall shape, thus making it a more realistic drawing. Some parts, as its hind legs, could even be completely shaded as the light source appears to be straight above it, and the same could be said about its face although some light can be reflected along its jawline. Either way, you're on the right track, so keep practising!

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Thanks, Bummer! Your advice is always greatly appreciated and your artwork is always of utmost quality, something I need to work on :p

Speaking of amazing Smog Staff members, I had the awesome opportunity to do art for the 29th issue of the Smog, which is incredible, by the way; everyone should go and read it.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey Blue Frog, I really liked your work in the previous smog issue, especially the S-rank pic for NU, keep up the good work :).

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
ok this drawing didn't come out the way i wanted it to so i just drowned it in effects
It's blurry and basically the opposite of what I'm trying to do in my drawings (make stuff less blurry), but I think it looks ok.

Last edited:

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The blurryness in that picture actually works fairly well since the darkness naturally wraps around it. One thing you could do to set the mood even further is to add a glow to its eyes and hand diodes, so if you have the option to paint some bright colors in a different layer and then change said layer's blending mode and/or opacity, it could make for an interesting effect in the dark. Also be wary of making the eyes too large, they're touching its chin there. :N

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Bummer, I edited an image for once!

I actually messed up on a lot of the random markings on Elgyem's face anyway, so this edit should've happened. The eyes look like that because I tried to make it look like it was looking up at you, but I guess I failed at that. The green diode is a bit dark, but I'm so sick of this drawing, so I'm going to finish it here.

I actually Love your Elygem so much ! I think it is your best piece ever and I just really think it is amazing! Well done on that! But I think your exaggerated proportions are good aswell. They are cute but I prefer your other work. I think you need to edit them so the left flipper of shuckle is down a bit to be in line with the right arm and also to have a different angle on the furthest foot of politoed. Make it so you can't see the bottom of the foot, just the front toe and a tiny partof the foot.

But that elygem, I can't get over how fantastic it is! The colours you have used are perfect and the shading and lighting is beautiful !

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
I actually Love your Elygem so much ! I think it is your best piece ever and I just really think it is amazing! Well done on that! But I think your exaggerated proportions are good aswell. They are cute but I prefer your other work. I think you need to edit them so the left flipper of shuckle is down a bit to be in line with the right arm and also to have a different angle on the furthest foot of politoed. Make it so you can't see the bottom of the foot, just the front toe and a tiny partof the foot.

But that elygem, I can't get over how fantastic it is! The colours you have used are perfect and the shading and lighting is beautiful !
Thank you for the feedback! It's funny how the Elgyem, which I kinda gave up on and decided to have some fun with ended up being one of my best pieces, haha. I'll fix up the politoed and shuckle.

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
ok some stuff with lineart cause i need to get good at lineart

that's a spheal on shroomish's back. Little cup pokemon are so round.

what a dunce

and am I the only person who thinks igglybuff is the MOST TERRIFYING POKEMON EVER

sorry for the crappy shading and stuff in that last one, I was trying to go for the psychotic/really don't want to put effort into this look.

Andrew

beep boop
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Hey I really think you're improving a lot and your work for the Smog was great :) If you are trying to improve at lineart, here are a couple of suggestions: 1. It looks like you are using a pencil or marker/watercolor tool for your black lines in the last couple of pieces. You could try using a pen tool with will full opacity as it can make them look smoother and cleaner. 2. You could try out cell shading. As bummer told me, it goes well with the pokemon style and line art. (you may have already tried these things with your past work but I don't recall at the moment.) 3. You can check out tutorials at Professor Smeargle; particulary these two: Nastyjungle: Adding Texture , Volmise: Lineart.
They are two great tutorials for line art and cell shading by two of the best artists here.
Like I said, your work is improving greatly and I love the elgyem piece. Also, your style of realistic painting is inspiring me to try this appoach more often :) Sorry if you already knew these things, just trying to add my two cents for someone who does so much art :)

I have some thoughts, though I don't know if you're looking for feedback (If not, just ignore me, haha)

This is also to be taken with a big grain of salt because while I do render things, I'm not sure I would ever call myself a painter-- but maybe some of these ideas can help you out, haha.

right now your usual method of painting stuff out feels like it could be stronger-- you use mixes of colors with brushes to create varying shades and tones, and that's definitely cool, but a lot of your pieces feel a bit "washed out", or like they lack a bit of realism (or life-like vibrance) and I think it's because you might be mixing in white and black to shade your forms and shapes, and taking an oversimplified approach to color.

White and black are useful in painting, but a little goes a long way. Part of the reason I believe that adding pure white and pure black to make tones takes away from realism is because, in real life, light sources are never pure white, and shadows are never purely black.

The tones of objects in the real world are more complex-- They're influenced by light sources, but also sometimes by other forms and objects nearby. If you hold something colored up against a white wall, for example, you might see some of that color influence how the wall looks.

As well, objects themselves are seldom consistent in color-- skin tones are a prime example. If you look at your hands or arms, for example, you'll see dozens if not hundreds of colors working together to create an overall tone.

I definitely feel like you've got this down in some part, because I see it in your elgyem piece (which I think is very cool, haha). And while this observation about your colors may not be the kind of thing that would cause you to undergo a dramatic change from what you're already doing, I think it might be a good area to experiment with if you feel like you're stuck.

For examples of what I'm talking about, one of Yilx's recent pokemon pieces is something I feel illustrates this concept pretty well. Check out his lighting techniques and all the colors he's got going on there. There's some white-looking tones, but also a big mix of yellow, and alternate light sources of red, light blue, and purple as well. His shadows get pretty dark, and maybe black in some cases, but there's a ton of dark brown, dark purple, and navy interspersed. You don't necessarily need to get that complex or anything, but it's something I think it'd be helpful to be aware of!

Icepick is another smogon artist who messes with painting stuff, and I think this piece by him is also a cool example of some "advanced tech" color work. He's got a lot of crazy color things going on there, but you'll note that all of his shadows (save for torterra's nose) are actually a dark brown/olive color, rather than black. Food for thought.

I'm sure @Yilx and @icepick could both either better advise on this or tell me I'm dead wrong, but they are both artists whose work could be a fine place to check out some painting techniques. There are a bunch of other artists out there doing stuff like this, but these two spring to mind for me, haha.

One thing either of those two might suggest for practice/improving color stuff quickly would be to do some painting from life. Get a bunch of objects together (on your desk, shelf, someplace nearby) and see what you can do to paint them. Really try to see what's going on with the colors, break them down, and pull them as best you can into your study. Paint what you actually see, not what you think you see, etc, etc.

I want to stress that I think you've got some good things going on here, so this critique and suggested path would be a thought for if you want to bring your work to "the next level" and all that.

Lastly, I don't mean to throw @andrew3391 under the bus or anything, but I'm not sure those lineart and texture tutorials will be of too much use to you if you're sticking with painting. Maybe give Nastyjungle's painting in photoshop tut a look, or see how Sentret paints (which is completely different, haha).

I think you can't go wrong observing some techs, trying some stuff out, and making it your own :)

Sorry for the long post, and if any other artists want to call out any part of what I've said and/or correct me, that would be awesome!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)