Mario Kart Mafia (NOC) END: VILLAGE WINS

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Well it was more of an empty threat than anything IMO but I can certainly see Eagle doing it.

Scum list: Jalmont, Marquis and Barty.
I have put reasoning in other posts for the last two, but for Jalmont he is just playing very passively and not really contributing to the chats much. Instead of saying people aren't reading posts in your posts why not do worthwhile things, you have become very defensive very quickly, so unvote barty, vote Jalmont. Barty, get stuff done here or you're dead....

what do you mean by "becomes defensive" quickly?? I think I have a right to explain myself when accused. When I'm calling out vapor for being "defensive" I'm mainly referring to the fact that he lashed out to me instead of giving an explanation or responding to what I'm saying. He didn't acknowledge my concerns and so I suppose I could've used a better word other than defensive.

"contribution" means different things to different people. your idea of contribution seems to be large walls commenting on every single post. i can't stop you from doing that, but I find that succinct, short posts that discuss stuff going on in the game is much more helpful then forcing yourself to post on every event in the game. If people aren't reading my posts and misquoting and misrepresenting me I think it's well within my rights to clarify my position. I feel I am doing "worthwhile things" so you are going to have to clear up what exactly are "worthwhile things" and explain to me why I'm not doing such "things."

Ok I'm on a phone right now because I'll be out for longer than I intended so this post may be a bit rushed and all over the place. I will elaborate on anything unclear when I'm home again. Also prepare for loads of metagaming!

@Jalmont's first (relevant) post sound nothing like normal village Jalmont behavior, it's a post that appears to be long but only restates general knowledge and gives no real insight of his own. His most recent long post sounded like the old Jalmont (challenging other players, sass, etc.) and was much better, but just because Solar Vapor/SL hypocritically pointed out the flaws in your previous post doesn't mean he was wrong in his accusations.

@Solar Vapor doesn't "scream" town to me like he did in Mafia From the Depths but this could be due to adopting a new play style. Just something to take note of.

I liked @Marquis' tl;dr post apart from the part about barty the beetle, which I disagree with. In my experience I feel like the "Cheerleading" mentality is normal for new players that are just excited to start playing and alone is not indicative of alignment. To be honest I think you blew that way out of proportion. I also found it weird how no one voiced suspicions of barty until you brought it up and all of a sudden people jump on the "barty seems scummy" bandwagon (I forget who though).

@Metal Sonic , Eagle can't confirm or deny anything so are we just supposed to take your word for it? And why didn't you bring that up in your first post?

I am disappointed in @Aura Guardian's contribution thus far. But this is a very minor point, I just expect more from him and he could be a valuable asset! It is also worth noting that he is playing drastically differently than in TP NOC where he was mafia, the main difference being he posts dramatically less. This could be a conscious change to appear cleaner though.

I still have a bad taste in myself about @Celever, his recent long post didn't change that. It's a lot of summarization and fluff other than his comments on Marquis.

@FireMage and @Woodchuck need to be more active. Woodchuck has been lurking since the game started and it's unacceptable that he has done NOTHING

Unvote Metal Sonic
Vote Woodchuck

Anyway, those were just some comments I had for some people. I hope to have a list of reads tomorrow (EST) where I will hopefully have even more content to work off of!

FireMage

Disgraced
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't know many of you terribly well and none have actually approached me (as I would've presumed someone would have :x) my current vote is for No lynch

I'd need some convincing before I'd choose to lynch someone. I've read the above posts and think it could boil down to a few people. (Read: Celever, metal Sonic , solar vapor and Jalmont ) But based on forum experience with those listed (limited as it may be) posts seem consistent. (Although I've never seen celever type a wall of text like that )

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Sorry, guys, I agree that my activity level has been poor, I'll try to post more!
I don't really like Celever's walls of shallow reads but I guess I have to provide some content for you guys to read me with, so sorry if it turns out like his posts. Hopefully this will be closer to color commentary than play-by-play.

Honestly, I'm thinking Metal Sonic might be legitimately tired of playing the fool and wants to post "normally"? Maybe he's seen that his oddball act was distracting from an actual scumhunt for the better part of the opening days of previous NOC games. I guess I came off a little strong in my "fuck him and his bullshit" but that really was how I was feeling at the time v_v. Metal Sonic, I hope you know that you can still contribute and make solid reads even with a higher standard of writing than Sonic fanfics.

Spiffy started off with putting some good pressure on Celever early in the game and has continued to work on players... somewhat infrequently, but he's busy and is experienced enough to look like village while being scum so I don't think I can give a good read on him either way. He's offering good advice to the newer players in this game.

Celever has been posting stupidly, but I don't remember Celever being particularly skilled in RNG NOC... and you'd think that if he was scum his mafia friends would have called him out in their scumtalk board to stop him from looking so stupid. His play right now kind of reminds me of Box's play in RNG NOC, who was pretty close to getting policy lynched if he hadn't violated NOC and gotten godkilled. Celever did get godkilled in RNG NOC, but that was actually to help the village...

Barty the beetle posts like someone incredibly new to mafia, and I'd think that someone who had been in at least one NOC mafia or even read one before would understand how important the use of votes is at ALL stages of the game. Keeping this in mind, I would heavily suggest that everyone in this game who has not played/read NOC before should read an NOC game to get an idea of how the village should operate. That means you, FireMage. Of course, Mafia have been winning NOC games recently, but that's another matter.

barty actually does look scummy to me because he keeps asserting himself as MC but "no one can be sure of that", and he then goes on to heavily emphasize how new he is and closes with "go ahead and lynch me" -- and says vaguely that we'll regret it. This looks like a vague power role claim to me, and I have to say that if I were in his position with a power role, I would definitely avoid pulling the power role card until there was a great deal more lynch pressure--or I'd run the risk of calling attention to myself from the mafia and getting nightkilled. (Just like how I got nightkilled night 1 of RNG NOC v_v) He also seems overly intent on justifying what he's doing when he's not checking the thread.

I'll try and post some reads later on other people like Jalmont and SL Solar Vapor's spat going on.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
Oh, and vote barty the beetle. Maybe it's bad to call so much attention to this, but the mafia has probably already picked up on your claim that we would regret lynching you, so I'd like to see you explain why you would make what looks like a vague claim of power role with so little pressure on you.

FireMage

Disgraced
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think woodchuck is just mad. I've read various NOC Mafia and still don't get why a no lynch vote is a bad idea. At the moment I don't know who to vote for and would rather not vote for someone without a particularly good enough reason too

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
FireMage, we use votes to put pressure on people and indicate our suspicion of them. Your vote is by no means final, so as long as you're not adding on to a bandwagon of 3+ votes, you're not really in danger of ending the round and lynching someone early. As Spiffy said earlier, votes are essentially our most powerful tool for scumhunting, so you should at least pick at someone you find suspicious and put a vote on them. Just going "I have no idea who to vote for" is not going to help the village. Point out any inconsistencies / faulty reasoning / possible scum tactics that you can! Votes are by no means final, and you can always remove yours later -- but if you don't use your vote, you're wasting an appreciable fraction of the village's power to put pressure on potential mafia.

Celever

i am town
I don't know many of you terribly well and none have actually approached me (as I would've presumed someone would have :x) my current vote is for No lynch

I'd need some convincing before I'd choose to lynch someone. I've read the above posts and think it could boil down to a few people. (Read: Celever, metal Sonic , solar vapor and Jalmont ) But based on forum experience with those listed (limited as it may be) posts seem consistent. (Although I've never seen celever type a wall of text like that )
No lynch is a bad idea until late game I think.
I sometimes write text walls in RU but besides that I only do it in mafia. Check out the TP mafia where I bowed down late-game with the largest post I have ever written.

@Jalmont there was a lot of activity so I decided a large post was easiest, that's all. You are defensive IMO because you have not defended yourself in any way, you are on all out offensive. Give some unbias reads, analyse things. You are also saying a bunch of useless comments, "that's a bad reason to godkill someone" etc.. Contribute more.

I just hope Barty isn't a power role since I can realistically see him getting lynched today.

Woodchucks's spurt of activity is good, now just keep it up.

FireMage is acting very noobishly, which is odd since iirc he has played in at least a couple of mafia games before. I feel like he is trying to create diversions more than anything else. I am going to go ahead and Unvote Jalmont, Vote FireMage. FoS' on Marquis, Jalmont, FireMage and Barty, if dies down with his activity again then he will be on the line too.

FireMage

Disgraced
No lynch is a bad idea until late game I think.
I sometimes write text walls in RU but besides that I only do it in mafia. Check out the TP mafia where I bowed down late-game with the largest post I have ever written.

@Jalmont there was a lot of activity so I decided a large post was easiest, that's all. You are defensive IMO because you have not defended yourself in any way, you are on all out offensive. Give some unbias reads, analyse things. You are also saying a bunch of useless comments, "that's a bad reason to godkill someone" etc.. Contribute more.

I just hope Barty isn't a power role since I can realistically see him getting lynched today.

Woodchucks's spurt of activity is good, now just keep it up.

FireMage is acting very noobishly, which is odd since iirc he has played in at least a couple of mafia games before. I feel like he is trying to create diversions more than anything else. I am going to go ahead and Unvote Jalmont, Vote FireMage. FoS' on Marquis, Jalmont, FireMage and Barty, if dies down with his activity again then he will be on the line too.
This is actually my first forum mafia - I've only done the live version in which is a lot different from forum mafia like this (at least in my experience)

Celever

i am town
Ok then basically no lynches are not recommended early in the game because it essentially creates a day of a little bit of evidence but no kills or such whilst the mafia get a kill at night, so the town go 1 down pretty much immediately. Just stick a vote on whoever you think is suspicious.... on this game it shouldn't be too hard :x.

In other news I am going to sleep now, if you lynch me by the morning I will be very sad :P

hey Celever I actually believe his noobishness- apparently it's a given that he hasn't been in an NOC before, which is vastly different from any other mafia game you'll see here. also as I can see from your posts after my big one please don't tell me that you're keeping your scumread on me just for the sake of not flipflopping, which is terrible reasoning

FireMage, No Lynch is a bad idea because typically the town has no other way to remove mafia (this isn't a big game) and I'd rather not just duck around waiting to be killed

Jalmont, I'm mad. you know how I get when peoples' senses of humor differ from mine

Barty post more and don't be so defeatist, that hurts the game regardless of alignment. Granted it could be seen as new instead of just plain scummy, but I feel you should be defending yourself a bit more as town

Woodchuck's vote on Barty was pretty opportunistic though calling for more pressure with already a few votes on him especially given the fact that he's even deliberately presenting himself to the game as an easy lynch

Metal Sonic step it up. For the last 3 on your random out-of-nowhere early game readslist, explain what that "magic content" is, a real reason why I'm scum/admit you can't actually read me, and for Spiffy talk about yourself less and explain if I'm reading this wrong but are you calling him town because you want him to be town or what

(also I really hate the principles of policy lynches, and god forbid a policy godkill for "acting retarded" like every player plays their own way, and if you can't deal with Metal Sonic, it's you who needs to suck it up or push him to contribute more/better or w.e ...I just hate how you guys are fucking complaining about his playstyle because it's not normal, this will look like insane buddying to some of you but I'm just so pissed off at the "godkill for not acting how I think you should act" thing when it's not even a matter of being rude/vulgar)

will post more later, I have a life

Marquis's so called "life" is actually watching glee 24/7. smh
Spiffy it doesn't matter if vapor is right or wrong the point is he did not defend himself and moved straight to attacking me. and then i'm not too sure what my "first relevant post" is but I am quite confident I will probably disagree that it doesn't say anything!
FireMage has a list of people he would lynch from but he doesn't say why. That isn't helpful. You need to state exactly why you think x is mafia or village, otherwise it's impossible to make connections between players. Saying "x is mafia" without providing a reason makes it really easy for scum to do the same thing and lets the get off the hook from providing thoughts.

I don't really get where the "post unbiased reads" and "analyze more" is coming from considering that's exactly what I have been doing. I can't find any useless comments either (minus the one you posted out but I think it's a trivial thing to argue). If you want to call me out for not posting any content please point out examples of not doing so. Try reading my posts again and tell me that I'm not contributing because claiming I'm not is absolute bullshit.
"these two people are scummy but i'm going to vote someone else anyways" - houndoomsday also fuk balotelli hehe
Metal Sonic did what I specifically said not to do, and while my word isn't law or anything, it sure look bad to me.
If you are trying to read me based on "meta" go look at smogon games. Those are more indicative of my playstyle here. Besides, the fact you claim my posts are descriptions shows that you aren't actually reading my posts and sticking to a past assumption on me. (you being ms btw) Your reads post didn't anything of real value and is compromised of a lot of nothingness. Funny you call me out for description when you are the one who is sticking to summarization (also celever but that's a different story).
Ugh shining latios. I'm almost willing to give him a pass here just because "it's shining latios" but his response to me was really bad. He got really defensive really quickly, didn't address anything I had to say, and then goes on to accuse me? I mean again, it really shows who is actually reading posts (hint: vapor isn't) when people say silly things like "you've just been labeling people scum or town," when that isn't true at all? Not giving an opinion? Try reading my posts again and/or look up what an opinion is lol.
put my money where my mouth is heh
Lynch solar vapor
Solar Vapor is making my alarms go off right now. He's made a few "whatever" posts and what I mean by that is little one-liners that in general don't say much, but look good in keeping appearances and the like. His one major content post was (ick) a long read post that did a good job of summarizing stuff up, but didn't offer much in terms of opinions on the game. At the moment, lists like those look pretty, but don't do much on the whole for the benefit of the town.
I feel like I know Solar Vapor under a different name. Someone help me out here lol!
Please don't waste time making a list of reads unless you have something thought-provoking to say. It clutters up the thread and it's a good escape route for mafia to go and post, as it's really easy to make up fake and convoluted reads that don't really say anything at all. The last two NOC games on smogon that I played that was a huge indicator of scum (as in two people who do so were scum) so I think I would advise against encouraging such play.
Marquis is legitimately the definition to "tl;dr" at the moment, which sort of goes against what is normal for him? Granted I haven't been in too much early game play with him (limited to substitutions / hosting games he has been in). Answering inside quotes is annoying and hard to respond to fyi.
YO it's like the very beginning of the game, I don't really see how people can definitively label people "scum" or "village" when the game's literally only just started. At this point, I think it's safe to say we are out of RVSing and can actually start "playing" the game now.
we have an unlimited deadline so there's no need to go around saying "lets lynch THIS DUDE RIGHT NOW" because there's not enough to go off of - it's better to use up as much time as we need to decide on who to lynch
don't take this as me saying "sit around idly" but let's just not get too overzealous here
also activity is good so far, i hope we keep that up as much as possible. don't be afraid to chime in with thoughts etc
Yes I am "accusing" (used lightly because I am really just pointing out inconsistencies and such) other people because I am trying to find the mafia. Let me know if you have any further objections over this.

I really like woodchuck's posting style as it makes it much easier for me to figure out what he's trying to convey. basic observations and his commentary are exactly what I find to be the most helpful in finding mafia. I hope others can do that as well.

Blackhawk11

one on one
A couple quick reads and opinions,

I'm leaning village on FireMage if only for the fact that if he was mafia his buddies would have informed him of the game and urged him to post. The reason (as far as I understand) that we shouldn't do no lynch is this: we have unlimited time. As long as we continue to actively search for mafia, we don't ever have to leave Day 1. So with that timeframe, we want to use as much time as possible to talk, create relationships, and gather suspicions. Deciding on a quick no lynch defeats that purpose. Even if we lynch a villager, we still gain a lot of info that could lead to finding mafia. Regardless, I don't think FireMage was arguing for a no lynch anyway, just using it as a placeholder, which is pointless.

barty seemed to turn 180 degrees in his most recent post, much more calm than he was yesterday. I'm eager to see how his play continues from here on out, and I'll leave my vote there until I find someone who I feel more strongly about.

I'm not sure what the hype about Jalmont is about, looking back on his posts (before he got into the mini-debate) I don't see much more than him pointing out things that he felt/saw. If we can't do that then how are we going to proceed?

Tagging @Aura Guardian again because I saw him viewing the thread earlier without posting after I tagged him initially and it pisses me off.

You know what, Unvote Woodchuck
Vote Aura Guardian

@Jalmont do I really have to spell this out for you?
YO it's like the very beginning of the game, I don't really see how people can definitively label people "scum" or "village" when the game's literally only just started. At this point, I think it's safe to say we are out of RVSing and can actually start "playing" the game now.
You didn't think this was self explanatory? Why did you feel the need to point this out?

we have an unlimited deadline so there's no need to go around saying "lets lynch THIS DUDE RIGHT NOW" because there's not enough to go off of - it's better to use up as much time as we need to decide on who to lynch
Eagle already talked about the unlimited deadline in the rules.

Basically you just mention things that everyone could (should) have inferred for themselves. It's all fluff, and you don't normally post fluff, which is why I called you out on it. Obviously I'm not excusing Solar Vapor's behavior.

and for Spiffy talk about yourself less and explain if I'm reading this wrong but are you calling him town because you want him to be town or what
@Marquis (if you're talking about barty) It's just that I don't think that "cheerleading" is a scumtell. I already said it sounds like an player excited to get the game started. "Cheerleading" being your only reason for voting him is pretty ridiculous when you pointed out the greater sketchiness of other players' posts. And I don't really understand the question. What does that even mean? lol

After reading Woodchuck's reasoning for voting barty he is making tons of sense, so I am not entirely sure of my read on barty now. So Marquis it's more that I'm saying "I don't agree with your reasoning for voting barty" and not "barty is town".

Speaking of Woodchuck, his first actual post of comments was insightful and original, and made me rethink my barty read (which is always a good thing). @Woodchuck I want to hear more of your thoughts on certain players, so what do you think of Blackhawk11, Jalmont, and Marquis?

Echoing Jalmont's sentiments that @FireMage should explain why he is willing to lynch the players he said he was.

Votecount 1.2 - Mario Kart Double Dash was totally the best in the series

barty the beetle: (3) Marquis, Blackhawk11, Celever, Woodchuck
Aura Guardian: (2) Marquis, Solar Vapor, Blackhawk11, Spiffy
FireMage: (2) barty the beetle, Aura Guardian, Celever
Solar Vapor: (1) Houndoomsday, Jalmont
Blackhawk11: (1) barty the beetle
Woodchuck: (1) Houndoomsday, Spiffy
No Lynch: (1) FireMage
Metal Sonic: (0) Woodchuck, Spiffy
Spiffy: (0) Celever
Marquis: (0) Jalmont Solar Vapor, Houndoomsday
Celever: (0) Spiffy
Jalmont: (0) Marquis, Spiffy, Celever
Not voting: Metal Sonic

Ok, since I'm being called out for some reason... *checks*

@Spiffy: yeah, I should post more, but I've been a bit caught between PSW Playtest, some books I was recently introduced to, and brushing up on Calculus III before my upcoming Electricity and Magnetism Course (WHY is the stuff important to E&M in the LAST chapter of Calc?). Also, I sometimes view a thread, but don't reply because I can't think of anything worth saying, sometimes because other people said it already in similar terms, and I'd rather avoid redundancy of that type (yay, activity is NOT an issue any more).

@Solar Vapor: I think I already said why I didn't RVS, but I'll repeat it, I guess: Because enough people had already done so, that more votes would not help significantly enough to be worth clouding stuff more.

Anyway, after looking at Barty the Beetle's posts, I agree with the suspicions on him, but I'd rather not encourage more votes on him just yet. The sudden reversal should be explained, but I think he's under enough pressure as-is.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
Okay, here goes.

Blackhawk11's post #53 has a similar view of barty the beetle as I do, but in post #96 he notes barty's 180 in attitude... without making a read on it. I'm not sure if Blackhawk sees barty's 180 as making him look cleaner or not, but I think it could just as easily be barty getting advice from his mafia teammates to calm down. I need to see more from barty but his abrupt change of demeanor doesn't make him look any less scummy to me. I'd like to know what Blackhawk thinks about this, as he did pick up on barty's behavior but didn't voice any opinions as to what it meant.

Jalmont's first non-trivial post is to warn us to slow down a bit before lynching someone and instead use up the time that we have for discussion. This is said by at least someone in literally every NOC d1--whether by a villager or a scum trying to align him/herself with the village--so that post doesn't really offer much to the discussion other than village cheerleading. I haven't played NOC with Jalmont before, so I don't really know if his early posts tend to be more constructive than this; a more experienced player would probably give a better read. By the second page and post #57 he is pointing out the quality of Solar Vapor's posts. Most of Jalmont's posts are calling out others for lack of helpful content or calling people out for posting lists of shallow reads... but I don't see a lot of content or analysis coming from of Jalmont, especially for someone saying he contributes significantly. Jalmont, can you try to give reads on people beyond "lists of shallow reads on every post looks scummy" and "shining latios posts poorly"? Most of us know that. Especially the latter :P

I'm going to take a little break in my post from actual reads and just say that I fucking hate reading posts like THIS. Celever, can you please not go over every. fucking. post. and fill up a page with play-by-play commentary that makes scrolling past your post in order to get some actual reads a chore. Trying to read any content out of your posts is a pain, especially when you bury calling out people and votes in there without even bolding them. I don't even know what's going on with your reply to Marquis's post #45. You go on rambling for line upon line while vomiting incredibly shallow reads while offering virtually no constructive insight or discussion into anyone. Can you at the very least organize your posts in a way that makes sense to anyone but you? This almost looks like a tactic to prevent people from trying to get reads on you because I don't think anyone wants to read that. If you want to contribute to village discussion, please do it legibly. I know I'm coming on as a bit harsh, but it needs to be said.

Marquis kicked off RVS and made some interesting analysis in post #45. Interesting in that it was a good read! He comes on a bit strong with the scumtells and calls me out as opportunistic for jumping onto putting vote on barty the beetle when he already had... two votes on him? I've already explained why I feel more pressure than that is justified on barty and I'd still like to see an explanation from barty. Anyway, I haven't seen Marquis's playing style before, but he comes off as a town who posts strongly (in tone as well as analysis, I guess) at this point. I wanted to wait until later to give a read on Marquis, actually, because a mafian that kicks off RVS and points out scumtells on a number of people might be the one to try and set off a mislynch bandwagon later--but that would probably be a bit too novice of a mistake for Marquis to make.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)