XY OU XY OU Mega-Scizor Team

My Mega-Scizor Team
scizor.jpg

So I have this team put together. So far, I've only lost twice in showdown out of 13-14 OU battles or so. Although I've been winning quite a lot, somehow I still feel like this team needs improvement. Any suggestions? The team is built around Mega Scizor by the way.

PREVIEW
212-mega.gif
646-black.gif
485.gif
462.gif
381.gif
184.gif

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE TEAM

212-mega.gif

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 44 Atk / 248 HP / 100 SpDef / 116 Def
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Roost

The main event. Mega-Scizor is the main focus of the team. Once all his checks and counters are gone, setting him up for an easy win is doable. The main role of his teamates is to remove all of his hazards so that he may set up properly. Once set up, he can wreak havoc. This is the typical Bulky Swords Dance set. EVs are used to allow Scizor to come in on a bunch of threats like Azumarill and Bisharp, allowing it to easily set up.

646-black.gif

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpAtk / 200 Speed
Mild Nature
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power

Kyurem-Black shares some defensive synergy with Scizor and it can take out foes that can easily check/counter Scizor like Heatran, Rotom-W, Zapdos, Skarmory, and Mandibuzz. He is also a wall-breaker with his very good wall breaking capabilities so he threatens mons like Chansey and Clefable. The EVs are used to grant 101 Substitutes, meaning Chansey's Seismic Toss won't break Sub, while the rest is dumped into SpAtk and Speed.

485.gif

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 244 Speed / 12 SpDef
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power

Heatran is a sponge for fire attacks and Earth Power takes down fire pokemon. Heatran's purpose here mainly for the Flash Fire and Earth Power combo. His job is to switch in to any fire type easily, sponge the fire-type moves, and take them down with Earth Power. This is also running the SubToxic set. EVs are used for maximum fire power and Speed, while keeping a small investment in SpDef.

462.gif

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpAtk / 84 Speed
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Magnezone's role is to trap steel types with Magnet Pull and kill them with HP Fire. He is great for steel types that wall Scizor hard like Ferrothorn and Skarmory. Also, he has good coverage for the team as a Steel and Electric type, giving help in bringing down pokemons like fairy-types and water-types. Magnezone is all about wall breaking, so it's EVs are tailored as to such. Max SpAtk, and good HP investment, since it's speed is already pretty low

381.gif

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Speed
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Defog

Latios is there for Defog and for dealing with Dragon types. Dragon pokemon can be tricky because sometimes, they have fire-type moves too so Latios is there to deal with them. Latios is also sure to kill at least one enemy with his high invested speed and Sp attack. Full Speed investment and Sp Atk allows Latios to hit as hard and as fast as possible.

184.gif

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Speed
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Waterfall

Azumarill is there for sweeping purposes as well with that amazing Belly Drum. When Azumarill is allowed to set-up Belly Drum, it can destroy mons from there. The Sitrus Berry is there to regain health after using Belly Drum. Furthermore, it's there to check and or counter fire types as well so that Scizor can set up. 92 EVs give Azumarill some bulk, while 164 Speed is used to out speed certain threats. The rest of the EVs are dumped into Attack.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CONCLUSION

Mega-Scizor is the main man of this team with the group playing like a 5-protect-1 team. The role of all the other pokemon is to remove all of M-Scizor's threats so that he may be able to set-up for an easy sweep. I've had great success with this strategy since when all of the threats of Scizor are gone, I can set him up easily and grab a win from there.

Additional Questions:
* Who do you guys think should I lead with? I usually lead with Heatran.
* I feel like using a wall like Chansey or a cleric like Sylveon. Would that be better for the team?
* I feel like replacing Azumarill with a bulkier water type like Rotom-W or Slowbro. Would this be wise to do?
* Should I go for Entry Hazards?

All suggestions are highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Synergy looks pretty good. Azu forms nice partnerships with both Magnezone and Heatran. Offensive Heatran can be a real threat but you're team is pretty offensively oriented as it is. Personally, I'd try out a slightly more standard Heatran set... something like:

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Earth Power
- Lava Plume
- Toxic / Roar
- Stealth Rock

Should ease some pressure and allow you to switch him in a little more. You can keep toxic for residual (can be nice w/rocks) but roar can be a pretty neat bailout as Heatran checks and counters a good number of pokes in the metagame.

Also, you might want to try a more specially defensive EV spread on Mega Scizor (248 HP / 216 SpD / 44 Spe). This makes you nice and bulky where it counts whilst still letting you outspeed defensive variants of Heatran (for a potential Knock Off KO). In my experience, with the right team support MScizor is pretty easy to set up with so Atk investment isn't really mandatory. He'll hit like a truck at +0 with no investment anyway. He's a good check to Aegislash with that spread and can use it as setup bait.

Just a couple of ideas, not that you have to implement them haha. Best to make small tweaks at first and then go from there. Let me know how you get on :)

Good luck!

Synergy looks pretty good. Azu forms nice partnerships with both Magnezone and Heatran. Offensive Heatran can be a real threat but you're team is pretty offensively oriented as it is. Personally, I'd try out a slightly more standard Heatran set... something like:

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Earth Power
- Lava Plume
- Toxic / Roar
- Stealth Rock

Should ease some pressure and allow you to switch him in a little more. You can keep toxic for residual (can be nice w/rocks) but roar can be a pretty neat bailout as Heatran checks and counters a good number of pokes in the metagame.

Also, you might want to try a more specially defensive EV spread on Mega Scizor (248 HP / 216 SpD / 44 Spe). This makes you nice and bulky where it counts whilst still letting you outspeed defensive variants of Heatran (for a potential Knock Off KO). In my experience, with the right team support MScizor is pretty easy to set up with so Atk investment isn't really mandatory. He'll hit like a truck at +0 with no investment anyway. He's a good check to Aegislash with that spread and can use it as setup bait.

Just a couple of ideas, not that you have to implement them haha. Best to make small tweaks at first and then go from there. Let me know how you get on :)

Good luck!
Hi thanks for the input. I tried out the Heatran you suggested and I must say I like it a lot more. My question is, which one would be better for this team, belly drum or choice band Azu?

Hi thanks for the input. I tried out the Heatran you suggested and I must say I like it a lot more. My question is, which one would be better for this team, belly drum or choice band Azu?

Banded Azu would work fine, but since your team is tailored around getting MScizor's checks and counters out of the way, perhaps sticking with Belly Drum would work better, so you don't have to be locked into a move, which helps quite a bit. Plus, if MScizor ever goes down, you will always have a backup sweeper. The team also is very nice, with Magnzeone trapping Ferro, which both Azu and and MScizor need gone for a truly successful, easy sweep.

A key threat to your team is Lando-I, so just another set for Azu, in case you are finding BD not doing as well as it should, but don't want to go banded, you can always try:

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 112 HP / 234 Atk / 4 SpD / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature

- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off / Superpower

A nice support mon, cranking the special bulk a couple notches, and functioning as an emergency check to Landorus, which your team could struggle with, depending on the set Landorus runs. Anything without Sludge Wave you will survive comfortably, as shown here:

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 112 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 183-216 (49.5 - 58.5%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO

And against Sludge Wave: 252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 112 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 183-216 (49.5 - 58.5%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO

Obviously don't swap it in during a Magnezone vs Landorus scenario, but perhaps against Ferrothorn or when one of your Pokemon faints.

Keep in mind, this is your team, do what you need it to, and if you don't like any ideas, don't use 'em, that's including my own.

Team looks great as it is, so GL with it!

In your case I'd say BD is better than CB. Mega Scizor - especially weak to Fire. Kyurem-B - especially weak to fighting (priority is a real problem) and so is Magnezone (fire as well...). Heatran - weak to water etc... Azu can cover loads of these big weaknesses and shouldn't find it too hard to set up a BD.

Which pokemon should I lead with in this team? I was thinking Heatran to set up SR?
You lead with what can counter the opponents possible lead. You don't have to set up hazard on turn 1 but when you get a free turn when switching in Heatran causing the opponent to either switch out or use a move that Heatran resists.

This team looks very weak to stall as it seems like chansey/quag can 6-0 this team easily.

You could try switching kyurem-b's set to lifeorb with icebeam/fusionbolt/earthpower/outrage with the 56 evs in attack in order to break through stall but even still it would die to life orb recoil and any status quickly, and once it goes down both of your setup sweepers get hard walled by quagsire and the special attackers get beaten by chansey and no progress can be made. You would need to play it extremely well in order to stand a chance. As your team stands now I don't see how its possible to win at all. You have a lot of different options you could pick that in tandem with the change to the kyurem set would add up to give you a pretty good matchup against stall and if you need some suggestions I can give them. As for the heatran set I would use Fireblast/earthpower/taunt/sr with a balloon and 252specatt/200speed/48hp/8specdef.

It's cool that magnezone traps skarm and ferrothorn but its kind of trapping the wrong thing because quagsire beats drum azumaril and m-scizor harder than those two ever could lol. its still a nice concept for a team though gl

Would you say that I should replace some poke's? Like magnezone for example? What would you replace them with? :)
If you're particularly worried about pure stall Pokemon such as Blissey and Chansey, or Quag with Unaware, you could try and replace a member of your team with Gothitelle? Has good synergy with Magnezone (my RMT on here featured Zone and Goth) and can clear particularly troublesome members of the opposing team to clear the way for a sweep.

http://pastebin.com/78BZjv4p

try that

taunt gliscor beats everything on stall except mega-venu which you can send in heatran or kyurem on after taunting it. Rotom-w is a bigger problem but you can actually stall rotom-w out of hydro pumps with roost with gliscor as long as they dont crit, or you could go to magnezone on a burn and slow volt switch into kyurem-b to threaten a kill. Gliscor deals with aegis and landorus pretty well so you could shift all of scizors spec def evs into defence in order to deal with azumarill a lot better.

i wouldnt use two trappers as generally trappers arent as good as regular ou pokemon unless theyre like pursuit users. Using two is kind of handicapping yourself. I don't like goth on most teams and magnezone is probably better in this case.

try that

taunt gliscor beats everything on stall except mega-venu which you can send in heatran or kyurem on after taunting it. Rotom-w is a bigger problem but you can actually stall rotom-w out of hydro pumps with roost with gliscor as long as they dont crit, or you could go to magnezone on a burn and slow volt switch into kyurem-b to threaten a kill. Gliscor deals with aegis and landorus pretty well so you could shift all of scizors spec def evs into defence in order to deal with azumarill a lot better.

i wouldnt use two trappers as generally trappers arent as good as regular ou pokemon unless theyre like pursuit users. Using two is kind of handicapping yourself. I don't like goth on most teams and magnezone is probably better in this case.
I haven't really considered Taunt Gliscor for stall breaking this gen so thanks for bringing it up - thinking about it, it actually seems like quite the threat to a lot of teams. Is it really that good?

Also, as I found with my last 1600+ team, sometimes Goth is just flat out necessary to get rid of things like Quag or Chans/Bliss whilst still retaining offensive pressure. She may not be the best Poke in the game but she has a very important niche. Same goes for Mag, although to a lesser extent.

try that

I'm curious about that 4 speed you invested on Scizor. What was that for? And you also suggest Heatran with Fireblast/earthpower/taunt/sr with a balloon yet you put up a Specially Defensive Heatran set. May I ask why? :)

Last edited:
its a speed creep in order to outspeed opposing mega-scizor. You often run a little bit of speed evs to get the leg up on mirror matches and similar speed tiered pokemon. I usually dont go past 16speedevs+the recommended set evs because then it starts to lose its effectiveness in bulk or power. 4 in speed should be fine.

i think spec def might be better because idk i just felt like it after looking at the completed team. You could use a different rocker than heatran though it is a bit redundant with the rest of the team. Maybe 3att+lo deo-s idk.

mixed thundurus really does a lot of damage to your team especially if its defiant which is commonly seen on Deo HO teams.

I would replace azumarill with a scarf tyranitar. azumarill is currently the only pokemon on your team that gives venusaur a free switch in and that can really pressure your team depending on the moveset of the venusaur. Scarf tar brings sand to wittle venusaur and limit the synthesis recover, and it beats Bisharp/pinsir which your team really struggles with.

Tyranitar_v_2_by_Xous54.png

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

You really dont need defog on your team. None of your pokemon are vulnerable to stealth rock and defog only becomes a liability. You should probably replace tbolt for EQ and defog for roost. EQ allows you to bait in Tyranitar and more importantly Heatran and take them out for your Scizor to do a lot of work once heatran goes down. Roost is pretty much there for stall teams to help with its survivability. thunderbolt would only be useful against azumarill and skarmory and azumarill is handled by scizor and skarmory is trapped by magnezone.

additionally I would put stealth rock somewhere on heatran's moveset. it's the best move in the game and will wear down scizor switch ins like rotom. things like pinsir and talonflame become a lot easier to deal with defensively by having to do less damage to them as well.

Also consider going - spdef nature on kyurem to take priority a bit better.

Hi,
I would suggest giving hp fighting instead of thunderbolt since you you have magnezone for thunder moves and hp fighting would be surprise for many people it can kill bisharp and many dark and steel type which may help you.

So taking in all the suggestions, I came up with this. How does it look like?

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 112 Def / 100 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 32 SpA / 224 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 220 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Protect
- Stealth Rock

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 204 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Roost

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

Gliscor and T-tar were added because of the suggestions. :)

I wouldnt really do both suggestions at the same time. That team^ is super keldeo weak and to water types like greninja and shit in general. You can use azumarill>ttar or latios>gliscor to have a good switchin to it but having both is pretty bad. i think ttar with latios is super stall weak but its probably better in some different areas. I agree with defog not being that needed. Try both suggestions for the team seperately. dont use scarf on kyub with ttar team

i tried it out for a few matches. Definitely go with deo-s over heatran with psychoboost/superpower/icebeam/sr 12att/244specatt/252speed. It's much better

Last edited:
Hi,
your team dont have any Defogger and Rapid Spinner Which may Cause you problem sometimes so i would suggest having Defogger or rapider spinner in your team.
mixed thundurus really does a lot of damage to your team especially if its defiant which is commonly seen on Deo HO teams.

I would replace azumarill with a scarf tyranitar. azumarill is currently the only pokemon on your team that gives venusaur a free switch in and that can really pressure your team depending on the moveset of the venusaur. Scarf tar brings sand to wittle venusaur and limit the synthesis recover, and it beats Bisharp/pinsir which your team really struggles with.

Tyranitar_v_2_by_Xous54.png

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

You really dont need defog on your team. None of your pokemon are vulnerable to stealth rock and defog only becomes a liability. You should probably replace tbolt for EQ and defog for roost. EQ allows you to bait in Tyranitar and more importantly Heatran and take them out for your Scizor to do a lot of work once heatran goes down. Roost is pretty much there for stall teams to help with its survivability. thunderbolt would only be useful against azumarill and skarmory and azumarill is handled by scizor and skarmory is trapped by magnezone.

additionally I would put stealth rock somewhere on heatran's moveset. it's the best move in the game and will wear down scizor switch ins like rotom. things like pinsir and talonflame become a lot easier to deal with defensively by having to do less damage to them as well.

Also consider going - spdef nature on kyurem to take priority a bit better.
Why using Ice beam on Tyranitar ?_? as its Physical not Special you can have ice punch over Ice beam

Lando-T and Gliscor can eat up ice punch all day, whereas ice beam hits them in their not-as-high spdef, which will do more damage as a result. Also, as chimp said he doesnt need defog or rapid spin, as his team doesnt care about SR at all outside of Kyurem-B, and that isnt the focus of the team.

Lando-T and Gliscor can eat up ice punch all day, whereas ice beam hits them in their not-as-high spdef, which will do more damage as a result. Also, as chimp said he doesnt need defog or rapid spin, as his team doesnt care about SR at all outside of Kyurem-B, and that isnt the focus of the team.
Even Ice beam Does not OHKO Lando-T and Gliscor
4- SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 284-336 (80.2 - 94.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
'4-SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 272-320 (85 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

so its better using Ice punch it can atleast use physical attack move would be nice to attack Neutral pokemons

Even Ice beam Does not OHKO Lando-T and Gliscor
4- SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 284-336 (80.2 - 94.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
'4-SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 272-320 (85 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

so its better using Ice punch it can atleast use physical attack move would be nice to attack Neutral pokemons

Look, your calculation is wrong, TTar is naive, not jolly, so try changing that at first.
Also, ice punch being physical means that it won't do nearly as much after intimidate.

4 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 316-376 (89.2 - 106.2%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Tyranitar Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 184+ Def Gliscor: 220-260 (62.1 - 73.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal

4 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 300-356 (78.5 - 93.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

-1 252 Atk Tyranitar Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 248-292 (64.9 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Aaand in case it had max def:
-1 252 Atk Tyranitar Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 176-208 (46 - 54.4%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Convinced that ice beam is better?

being locked into a ground move that you dont even invest into is pretty bad. Being able to use a stab dragon move and also switch after is pretty nice so you can choose which type of dragon move is better for the occasion.

dont switch out earthpower on a sub set though

u wanna talk with me on showdown dude im on right now send me a pm

actually im going to bed srry lol its like 5am i hear birds wakin up

i will tomorrow though

Pretty good team. It looks like the only problem as someone else pointed out is that it struggles with Mega Pinsir, but what team doesn't...

Back