What makes Smogon fun for you?

congratulations on 5k, oglemi!

i know you probably would have preferred a very well thought out answer with just a touch of sappyness to it, and given the person i am, i too would have preferred that, but time is not on my side.

Instead i'll leave you with this answer as to why i love this place, and although it may not be the paragraph long answer we both want, it is very true and i do mean it when i say the following: What makes me like smogon? the little things, like your awesome pokedex rotating avatar (also love how you pick such cute pictures for each pokemon)

saw this sometime last year. still one of the cutest fucking things i've ever seen

Pokemon_wallpapers_215.jpg

Many props to the people on Smogon. There are people that annoy me a little bit here and there but my petty little complaints usually blow over pretty quick and majority of the time I deal with people I like more than with people I dislike. So in the end, I am really just echoing the sentiments a lot of people have said so far. The community can be pretty great and IRC really just adds to that.

Anyway, congrats Oglemi! I remember in your 4k I posted something along the lines of not knowing you that well but thinking you seemed pretty cool and this time around I can post with certainty that you are pretty cool! Good stuff man, and again, congrats!

And who lives 15 minutes away from you!
He's talking about me, bro

I'm like oglemi in that how i got immersed in this site was by just writing stuff. After writing articles I had to get some GP checks so I went into #grammar and just acquainted myself with Fate, Jellicent, Oglemi and then ibo when he came back and a bunch of other fools who hang out there. I always find some project to get myself into, like Dream World (rip) and Smogon Doubles that keep me involved with the forums.

Rodan said:
i think smogon would be a lot worse off without irc.
Pretty much this.

IRC and Showdown! are also great as like Oglemi I've made a lot of friends that way. There are several Smogon / NB users who I will invite to my wedding and I wouldn't know them if it weren't for IRC channels like #grammar and #smogonwifi.

Damn, you've been here as long as I have and posted way more. Congrats.

I stay on Smogon despite not playing pokemon because its filled with people who are my age or slightly older, yet despite that is very mature. More than anything its a fun community where you can also discuss serious things and read advice from people who have been through the same things you have a little earlier.

Also, October 2009 was definitely the best month for new Smogoners. Just saying.

hmmm... the answer to this question has changed a lot for me over the past four years. initially I joined because I thought battling was fun. it seemed like playing chess combined with classic aspects of rts games. over time the luck aspect of battling turned me off from taking the game too seriously, but i still like building teams. not really in the conventional team rater/tournament player sense where you try to make teams perform the best, but I like taking an interesting set / combination of pokemon / antimetagame idea and making concept teams to play against friends.

I started going on IRC in summer 2009 and since then, with the exception of a few gaps for school, it's been a pretty constant fixture in my life. jumpluff covered IRC pretty well; in a nutshell: talking to people who share your interests is fun.

for a while I contributed a lot to the website in C&C and the smog. when I first started playing, I'd read the strategydex compulsively to learn about everything I could possibly face in a battle. I realized that there aren't too many people who both play a tier relatively well and have the patience to write strategy guides, and I could give back to the community and hopefully make learning the game easier for new-whistles.

anyways around the time BW came out I didn't really come on smogon for most of a school year and by the time I got back I didn't feel like learning a new gen. now I just mostly skim a forum because it's entertaining and go on IRC... don't really battle anymore.

congrats on 5k posts =)

robotic purple haired blushing tsunderes with glasses. and IRC like others have stated. IRC just adds another level and creates opportunities that are otherwise impossible. Without Smogon I'd probably still be playing xbox or have a life. those are fun I've heard.

I don't know many nor am I entirely well known but the people I've had a chance to talk with over the past year and a bit have created this an experience I can take a lot away from.

I can probs honestly say I've outgrown and moved on from smogon, but the only reason I log in every now and then and spew a few lines of bullshit on irc every now is for sentimental reasons

pretty much over the whole internet persona/forum phase in general I think

IRC is what got me truly integrated into this community and is one of the many reasons why I stick around. The others being Pokemon Showdown, the community along with all the little quirks we have together when we interact, and the fact that we're one of the rare communities that has user presence defined on 2 totally different fronts.

i've become far more attached to PS! and IRC than any other aspects of smogon and i must say i'd probably be an extremely lonely and emotionally unstable person without either of them. both platforms are really fun to use, easy to access, and feature the most diverse range of people i've ever had the pleasure to get acquainted with; i think i've made a few valuable and really good friends (with some downs along the way...). however, a few people in particular have made smogon unforgettable for me and since i'm pretty young i'll probably be sticking around for a long time.

Well, I never really did anything on the forums, tbh. I am mainly a contributor to the servers Smogon supports, like Shoddy, PO and now PS!. If you know me, I am a very loud, obnoxious, at times, but also lovable person. I guess you could describe me as something like Pineco, rough around the edges, but ultimately cute and fun. I met some people here, on the sims, who are extremely nice and fun to talk to.

I went on a hiatus after deciding that I wanted to do some activities irl, so in order to not be distracted, I got myself banned from PO. As it turns out, that probably wasn't the best idea. I went through some crazy stuff and, honestly, the stuff I went through are not by any means things that people would want to go through.

However, I am back and I don't plan on not being an obnoxious person on PS! anytime soon. Though, I may not be on as often as I used to. That's pretty much it for me, I suppose.

Also congrats on 5k :D

And who lives 15 minutes away from you!

pedobomb o.o

Honestly this site isn't really that fun for me anymore. I'm sticking around for Little Cup, mainly, but like forum activity and w/e seem like such a chore now. IRC / some parts of the community are still really great though--without that, there really would be no reason to keep this up.

Omicron!!! D:< You're here but not here ;_; Oglemi no cute baby hippos D:

I came to smogon to find something to do and past time back in late 2011. Ended up meeting with so many awesome people; #grammar!!!!!!! I miss the old days where everyone was active :OOOOOO!!!! :'O I'm still here because there's still great people here!!! Psh Oglemi don't you quit !_! Sadly, people are caught up irl and will have to leave sooner or later anywayssss :< If everyone I knew disappeared then I probably will be gone too unless they're on IRC :d

Still miss a lot of the old #grammar folks. SHOO Omicron ;_; Haha, I don't have a lot of time to kill this days but I still try to squeeze some time :o! Smogon is only fun when there's people you want to stay for. IRC is an experience I'd probably never get if not for smogon too!

/me cry

oh and happy 5k Oglemi! You beat fate :p

Smogon is the best at what it aims to do, and that's provide material to a wider audience of Pokemon fanatics who love to play the game. Smogon has, by far, the better players, which promotes its competitive challenge to the max. It is also one of the very few Pokemon communities I can safely say I don't find retarded. I'll always love Pokemon so relating to a community as much as I have with Smogon means that it will always have a place in my heart.

I did quit for the best part of a year and as such, the healthy break that I took made me realize just how much I missed Smogon and so I returned. I actually don't know why because there's not one user I could say I actually missed, but I do love me some Pokemonz.

Jus' kiddin, I love (most) of you all! :heart:

Smogon is fun because I have someone to which I can talk about Pokémon. Also, is at Smogon where I learned to play competitive Pokémon games, so I have to thank you people for all that I learned with you. I initially started visiting Smogon while I was talking with my friend Lucas (that, that I cited on my signature), and this is, speaking of which, a reason why Smogon is fun to me; it makes me remember of the good moments that I had with my friends, especially Lucas, and how I want to teach them to play competitive Pokémon. Also, if weren't for Smogon, there would be people that I wouldn't have met, such as Axelia, and another friend that I have on Facebook.

Smogon, initially, is just a site about competitive Pokémon, but when you look deeper, you know cool people that have much more to say than "Terrakion should run Stone Edge and Close Combat, and the last two moveslots are mainly filler".

The community pretty much. It's unlike anything on the Internet tbh.

I always was a part of the Cicus Maximus circle since I joined, which has plenty of awesome users (billymills hates me so he doesn't count...jk ur awesome bro). League of Legends brought me closer to a lot of users thanks to the constant need for communication. I'm sure if I met most you LoLers irl we'd have a pretty chill time. I don't do much on the forums as much as I used to but I enjoy posting in eh forum and hosting mafia games once in a while.

So yeah the community pretty much is the reason I'm sure most of us stick around for.

I think the thing I enjoy the most is the extremely low level of "noobishness" that tends to plague other Pokémon communities. Know-it-alls, bad spelling, one-liners or ridiculous topics are next to unseen. It's a place where it's possible to discuss Pokémon in a serious manner, and expect intelligent replies in return. It's a very mature approach to a game mostly catering to children, and it does so extremely well.

Though, I have sort of given up the non-Pokémon forums. I guess all that built-up suppressed immaturity has to go somewhere. Most of the ridiculous topics can be attributed to blow-outs from IRC, though.

Kudos for 5k Oglemi ^_^

Er, Pokemon is a big part of my life and it always has been, really. I've frequented this site for quite a while now, and I squeeze the best out of the game with its help.
I'm also socially awkward so I find this place fun, and I don't really like things others do, and I've come to notice I share that with a lot of other members as well. Something I never found anywhere else (Past Youtuber, Pokemon Online, Serebii et cetera)

It's not just a feverish forum phase to me, this is my newer account, it's from 2007, and I'm 19. I love y'all and the stuff we do, as argument-explosive as you can all sometimes be, lol.

The cool people you meet here / occasionally interesting discussion on subjects that most people I know irl don't have an intelligent opinion on.

this website is kind of bullshit right now but the only reason i'm around is to take care of my league of legends kiddos whom i inadvertently got hooked on the game ~_~

also to make one last attempt at reviving CM before i go

Back