The Everything NFL Thread - 2012 Season (Up til 2013 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless you actively put your money where your mouth is and do it well like me, then I really do not give a shit about what you think of how I discuss things. Like YTP alluded to, I am interested in situations/dynamics/possibilities much more than actual results. The Falcons and Ravens are both much less talented than other teams who made the playoffs, it would be a real shame for all serious football fans if both made the Super Bowl - it would be one of the worst of all time.

My favourite statistic of that game is this one:

Teams leading by 20+ points in the postseason are 56-1 (only loss was the '92 Oilers against the Bills, which i am sure DM remembers fondly)

So as long as Atlanta does keep this blow-em-the-fuck-out mentality in the first half I see no real issue with them doing just fine. B)

Ravens LB Brendon Ayenbadejo calls the Patriots hurry-up a gimmick.

After the Ravens D just finished playing 177 snaps in two weeks you'd think they'd be more worried about the speed of the Patriots hurry-up, rather than trashing it.

Ravens LB Brendon Ayenbadejo calls the Patriots hurry-up a gimmick.

After the Ravens D just finished playing 177 snaps in two weeks you'd think they'd be more worried about the speed of the Patriots hurry-up, rather than trashing it.

I wouldn't use the word gimmick, but I understand what he's trying to say. That doesn't mean he's right. The Patriots' style of offense right now, when perfected, is indefensible. The word "gimmick" kind of holds the connotation that something is for fun and doesn't work, which I don't really think is the case.

Unless you actively put your money where your mouth is and do it well like me, then I really do not give a shit about what you think of how I discuss things. Like YTP alluded to, I am interested in situations/dynamics/possibilities much more than actual results. The Falcons and Ravens are both much less talented than other teams who made the playoffs, it would be a real shame for all serious football fans if both made the Super Bowl - it would be one of the worst of all time.
Matt Ryan's first Super Bowl while it being Ray Lewis' last? I think the "serious" fans will survive.

I for one don't really want to see another Patriot SB, I've already had too many of those in my lifetime.

I fail to see how the Falcons, with the best 1-2 combo of WR's in the league lack talent CK.

Same with the Ravens who have some all worlders on defense and a QB with probably the strongest arm in the league.

It's not like it'd be a Colts/Redskins SB dude -_-.

I fail to see how the Falcons, with the best 1-2 combo of WR's in the league lack talent CK.

Same with the Ravens who have some all worlders on defense and a QB with probably the strongest arm in the league.

It's not like it'd be a Colts/Redskins SB dude -_-.

post lost all credi.....

For real thou, I think that if the Ravens can get past the Patriots, they'll win the superbowl. There is way to much emotion around them to lose. All of the players on that team are playing their asses off harder than ever before, because "it's for ray, let's win these for ray". That kind of push is really all the motivation they need to go 200% imo. They are a scary team.

idk why everyone is counting the ravens out against the pats. in recent years baltimore has always played hard against new england, be it in the playoffs or regular season.

because having two good WR makes a team soooo interesting, especially since superior quarterbacks never need a second 1000 yard WR

I'd love Falcons Ravens not just because I'm a Falcons fan. Matt Ryan vs Joe Flacco, Gonzalez and Ray Lewis going out together would make the game for me. Not to mention that it would be cool to win a Sb in the saints dome.

So like I said, that makes you a non-serious fan. Any serious fan would prefer 49ers-Patriot. The game would involve better coaches, better offense, better defense, and should offer MUCH better execution by both teams (although you can never guarantee this in any sport, of course). It is not about which teams you have biases to like, which teams have the "coolest legacies" at stake, and certainly not about being sick of a team because it is..too good, the laughably worst excuse. Niners-Patriots or Packers-Patriots were the best potential matchups start of the playoffs. Even better, both do have a lot of historically fun implications, but that is not even .1% as important as the quality of the games we would expect to get. The quality of a Ravens-Falcons game would be expectably somewhere between Raiders-Buccaneers and Colts-Bears on the revoltingly awful/boring scale.

Ehhh.. today isn't the day. We'll never change our opinions. Blahblahblah we'll let the players play etcetc

CK 1737372
YTP 0

:'(

I'm finding this extremely funny since this is coming after the Broncos-Ravens in which many people said it would be a boring game, but it turned into the best game of the season. But hey what do I know, I'm not a "serious" fan.

disclaimer for moderators: THIS IS ACTUALLY A JOKE (ONE WITH SOME subtle DEPTH TO IT!!)

Unlike most of these boobs, I can actually tell when you're being facetious.

Teams leading by 20+ points in the postseason are 56-1 (only loss was the '92 Oilers against the Bills, which i am sure DM remembers fondly)

Oh yeah, that was back when the Bills played football. Good times.

idk why everyone is counting the ravens out against the pats. in recent years baltimore has always played hard against new england, be it in the playoffs or regular season.

Exactly what I was going to say.

DM WaterBomb deleted my last good joke

no one seems to have noticed or at least not cared, but (along with my psychic powers of being so right) I just literally ordered the QBs by the amount their teams lost by & which teams had lost, good times (although unfortunately I think 49ers won by 1 more point relatively, so I guess I was not completely correct fuck!!)

Ravens are being counted out because Joe Flacco literally completed 12/23 and 18/34 of his passes this postseason. Did anyone actually WATCH the Broncos/Ravens game or just enjoy it? Almost every short pass he threw was 1-2 yards off target. Dude has no fucking game. All he does is toss the ball up and let Anquain Boldin and Torrey Smith bail him out. Yeah, it has a chance of working out. It also has a pretty good chance of being a massacre. Ravens D is not going to bail them out against a real coach, although it should probably keep it close. Flacco is just that bad though, any game he is involved in could end up with just 3-14 points scored by the Ravens.

I like the Ravens infinitely more than the Patriots and would rather see them win on Sunday. Therefore I am not a "serious" fan.

Just remember, every playoff win is worth millions for Flacco's new contract!

(tagging Flacco will leave them very little cap space, even though they'll have about $18 mil to work with come offseason a franchise tag would cost something like $15 mil)

There's a lot of cap issues in the NFL headed into next year, with 5 teams (in ascending order, Steelers/Panthers/Saints/Cowboys/Jets) projected to be $10+ million over the cap limit. The Cowboys and Jets have it especially bad, at $18.2 and $19.4 million in the red. We might be seeing a lot of big names cut from these teams in the near future. The Jets are doubly fucked, because they have loads of starters from this past season headed into free agency.

DM WaterBomb deleted my last good joke

no one seems to have noticed or at least not cared, but (along with my psychic powers of being so right) I just literally ordered the QBs by the amount their teams lost by & which teams had lost, good times (although unfortunately I think 49ers won by 1 more point relatively, so I guess I was not completely correct fuck!!)

Ravens are being counted out because Joe Flacco literally completed 12/23 and 18/34 of his passes this postseason. Did anyone actually WATCH the Broncos/Ravens game or just enjoy it? Almost every short pass he threw was 1-2 yards off target. Dude has no fucking game. All he does is toss the ball up and let Anquain Boldin and Torrey Smith bail him out. Yeah, it has a chance of working out. It also has a pretty good chance of being a massacre. Ravens D is not going to bail them out against a real coach, although it should probably keep it close. Flacco is just that bad though, any game he is involved in could end up with just 3-14 points scored by the Ravens.

This is true. The Ravens offense is still extremely flawed and prone to do nothing depending on the WRs. Sort of like BBall. You live and die by the three, you live and die by the deep pass. Offenses that rely on the deep pass are the ones that are "inconsistent". And it's usually teams with good defenses as they can afford wasting a couple of plays trying to get that huge pass. It usually takes 1-3 of these passes to win a game. Which is what the Ravens managed to do in the last two games. It's the same ol Flacco week in and out, it's just that his offense is not perfect every week. Or his WRs aren't making amazing catches every week.

With the new GM, the Jets should clean house but I feel that Woody Johnson won't accept a rebuilding project.

Agreed. Even Revis should be traded. But they can't get rid of Sanchez. Though i'll admit Sanchez is not the worst qb they could have. Could be worse. Just get him a lot of help. Ride out the guranteed part of his contract and then dump him.

DM that's the second time you've come in to say "I don't get why people are counting out the Ravens" and both times I am baffled as to why.

I'd have to check but I'm pretty sure that more people are picking the Ravens to win than picking the Patriots to win in the prediction thread. I'm also rather positive that there are very few people in here who are actively talking about the Patriots beating the Ravens easily (Just because CK manages by some superpower to be loud on the internet doesn't mean that he's on the side of the majority).

Let alone the fact that if you turn on ESPN you're probably gonna catch a few strong whiffs of their storyline hype of the "Team of Destiny". So far the main storyline for the Patriots is "They don't have Gronk" with a headline of "Are the Patriots Doomed?" on PTI.

If you honestly think that you need to convince people that the Ravens can make this a game, you need to get a better read of the room, as it were.

EDIT: This needs to be quoted for posterity.

Agreed. Even Revis should be traded. But they can't get rid of Sanchez.

The current poll on ESPN had like 20% of people choosing the Falcons, but 40% choosing the Ravens. Understandable I guess, if all teams involved play exactly the same as they did last week (which happens in the NFL far less often than it should). On Yahoo right now, it looks like 25% are choosing the Falcons and 22% the Ravens, which is more on the side of a blowout in pick-percentage (comparatively, 9% chose the Ravens last week, 10% chose Houston, 25% chose Cincinnati in the wild card round).

I saw an interesting stat earlier today: The Ravens have a career 55.3% winning percentage in the regular season (150-121-1), and a 63% winning percentage in the playoffs (12-7).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back