The Everything MLB Thread

The Nationals lead the league! I never thought I would see that headline.

Santana is going to have a 2.5 ERA this year he is in the NL ;____; my poor Twins!

Santana will have a lower ERA than that, I will put money on it! Your poor Twins were fucking awesome last night, Carlos Gomez (part of the Santana trade) was 2-3 with a double and a couple stolen bases! Shit Livan Hernandez pitched good. However I still don't see them finishing above 3rd place...

Here's a prediction: Kansas City will probably place above the White Sox this year. White Sox are on the down path, and the Royals are very slowly going up in talent. Same will go for the Rays to place ahead of the Orioles. The O's are a big mess, and they traded away their best player Erik Badard for next to nothing.

The O's are clearly doing straight up rebuilding.

I don't really see KC doing better than the White Sox at this point in time because its simply too early. Also, I hope that the Dodgers do really well this year in their division. Same with the Mariners, but they have tough competition because of the Angels.

Go twins, try not to finish below the royals and white sox please. What solid pitching depth we have this year! Livan Hernandez opening day starter? (he pitched the best game of his life opening day for our 3-2 win) Boof Bonser second in our rotation (9-1 loss today but not all 9 are boof's fault - boof is, at best, a fourth starter in the rotation not a number two guy though) and Liriano is in the minors for two starts - and even then who knows if he will get back to the form he had pre-tommy john.

Though, I must admit Carlos Gomez is hella fun to watch because he is so fast. It sucks to lose out on Torii Hunter in CF, but give Gomez a few years and he will establish himself. Hell, in 2010 with the new ballpark the Twins might be damn good by then - give Gomez, Delmon Young, young pitchers, etc. some time to develop -- and we have Morneau, Mauer, Nathan (screw off old-timer Rivera - Nathan should be considered the new top closer - but he won't because the twins won't gain enough attention with lack of wins) locked into solid contracts (and the young guys too). This year may not be our year, but give us a couple and we should be back! oh and forget the tigers, that lineup may be ridiculous (do you really want to intentionally walk anyone to get to the next batter? not really) but lets see that bullpen win a game/hold a game every night

Same with the Mariners, but they have tough competition because of the Angels.

I was actually thinking about this earlier today, and I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the Mariners make the playoffs this year. Last year, they were in the hunt for the division and wild card until their manager suddenly left and they slumped out of contention. It's roughly the same team as last year, and with the addition of Eric Bedard, who has been one of the best pitchers in the league over the last 2 seasons. The line-up is balanced and fairly solid from top to bottom, J.J. Putz has became one of the league's top closers, and if Felix Hernandez has a decent 15 or 16 win season, then they will be in playoff contention until the end. This could be the 'dark horse' team that makes a run this year.

Any team but the Rangers in the AL West always has a good chance at making the playoffs, since it is only a four team division AND contains the Rangers!

Radke, I am so excited about having Delmon Young on the Twins (although obviously it only makes up for losing Santana like 1/3 of the way).

The Royals are 2-0 after a three hitter against the Tigers by pitcher Brian Bannister, making the forthcoming torrid collapse even more enticing.

I want to see how far the Royals can go with this winning business. I'd like to see them sweep this series with Detroit.

Also, I would like to see the Mariners do well this season. I think they can do it this time around.

I won't say I'm in panic mode, but if the Tigers don't win today then I'm at least a little worried for the offense. I don't pay too much attention to baseball though so maybe the Royals just have good pitching.

The Tigers aren't helped by not having Cabrera in the lineup but that was probably unavoidable.

KC just beat Detroit for the third time in a row this week.

I still do not think there is anything to worry about with the Tigers, but this is still a shocking way for this series to turn out. Not only did the Royals win all three games, but they really shut down the Tigers offense completely.

EDIT: THE ROYALS ARE THE LAST UNDEFEATED TEAM! Their greatest accomplishment in a decade!

EDIT: THE ROYALS ARE THE LAST UNDEFEATED TEAM! Their greatest accomplishment in a decade!

Haha, couldn't have said it any better! The Royals should enjoy it while it lasts, because it won't get topped at any point this season unless they go through win something like 11 out of the first 13 games.

im liking what I am seeing from the jays so far these two games. Great to see vernon come around yesterday, and rios is already on fire (he has been on base 6/8 times, and one of the two he wasnt was a HR that was grabbed from over the wall by damon ;-;)

I am especially sold on our rotation, 4 pitchers are very capable of sub 4.00 ERAs. If the offense can put up 5-6 a game we should be in very good shape.

Predicted Standings:

AL East:
Boston
Toronto - WC
NYY (pitching just isnt there)
Rays
Baltimore

AL Central:
Tigers
Indians
Royals
Twinkies (if liriano doesnt pitch at least 120 innings i put them last)
ChiSox

AL West:
LAA
Seattle (not even close to WC though, incredibly overrated team right here)
Oakland
Texas

NL East:
Mets
Phillies
Braves
Marlins
Nationals

NL Central:
Milwaukee (although gagne is not the answer lol)
Cubs
Cardinals
Astros
Pirates
Reds

NL West:
Dodgers
Rockies - WC
Dbacks
Padres
Syracuse skychiefs (blue jays AAA affiliate)
Giants (oh god)

Who thinks the Mets look like R-tard right now? One day after Pedro Martinez gets hurt, Brian Bannister (traded to KC last year) shuts down the tigers, probably the best offensive team this year?

Soooo many Twins and Jays fans on Smogon. Jays fans your team looks good now but this is how your season is going to play out...a good april, not first place but then...Burnett gets hurt again, Haladay gets hurt again and BJ Ryan isn't the same pitcher after being hurt and gets hurt. Again. Frank Thomas is old, Overbay is still hurt, very few good minor leaguers. You guys better watch out for the Rays.

Twins fans if Liriano doesn't return and pitch like he did in his single half season, you guys better watch out for Gil Meche and KC.

My predictions btw:

AL: New York, Detroit, Anaheim division winners Seattle wild card
NL: New York, Chicago, LA Dodgers division winners Arizona wild card

Made these picks before the season started and now I'm cooked because the Angels and the Mets already have injury problems.

ESPN had Detroit v. Kansas City instead. The game was okay Gil Meche pitched wayyyy better then Verlander.

Gil Meche was easily a top-3 candidate for the Cy Young through the first 2 months of last season and would have won at least 18 games without his abysmal run support. I don't expect anything less from him this year.

Here's a prediction: Kansas City will probably place above the White Sox this year. White Sox are on the down path, and the Royals are very slowly going up in talent.

I couldn't agree more. Yay bias! In all seriousness though, the White Sox have mediocre pitching at best and an old offense. They've been down the wrong path for several years now.

I don't really see KC doing better than the White Sox at this point in time because its simply too early.

Too early for what? And I'm willing to bet money that they will. (Not actual money, but figurative money, y'know.)

The Royals are 2-0 after a three hitter against the Tigers by pitcher Brian Bannister, making the forthcoming torrid collapse even more enticing.

Your lack of faith (or knowledge) disturbs me. We played over-.500 ball for greater than half of the season - the latter half, I might add. With the addition of José Guillen (the power-hitting corner outfielder we needed), I think we have a decent chance of finishing over .500 for the entire season.

I want to see how far the Royals can go with this winning business. I'd like to see them sweep this series with Detroit.

They did! And it was the first time since 1979 that the Royals have begun a season by sweeping a team on the road. It was the Tigers then, too.

The Royals began the 2003 season 9-0, also the last undefeated team. They finished that season 83-79. Both of which, I would say, are greater accomplishments than starting this season 3-0.

Twins fans if Liriano doesn't return and pitch like he did in his single half season, you guys better watch out for Gil Meche and KC.

Looks like we've got a believer!

So yeah, there's obviously a (good) chance that I may end up eating all of my words, but people truly underestimate our team. Not only do most critics fail to acknowledge the talent of our bullpen and/or offseason acquisitions made by us, but they are all eager to jump on the "Royals will have another lousy year" bandwagon. Like I stated before, José Guillen could provide a huge boost to our offense, such as the case in Wednesday's game, and we have an at least decent starting 3 pitchers. And to top it off, we had 4 members of our bullpen last year with sub-3.00 ERAs, if I recall correctly, all of whom have returned.

Oh, and not like anyone noticed I was gone or anything, but I'm not dead.

Gil Meche was easily a top-3 candidate for the Cy Young through the first 2 months of last season and would have won at least 18 games without his abysmal run support. I don't expect anything less from him this year.
Top three might be a little much, but he certainly disproved everyone who thought his big contract was a joke, good call Dayton Moore.

So yeah, there's obviously a (good) chance that I may end up eating all of my words, but people truly underestimate our team. Not only do most critics fail to acknowledge the talent of our bullpen and/or offseason acquisitions made by us, but they are all eager to jump on the "Royals will have another lousy year" bandwagon. Like I stated before, José Guillen could provide a huge boost to our offense, such as the case in Wednesday's game, and we have an at least decent starting 3 pitchers. And to top it off, we had 4 members of our bullpen last year with sub-3.00 ERAs, if I recall correctly, all of whom have returned.

Oh, and not like anyone noticed I was gone or anything, but I'm not dead.

Careful my friend! Brian Bannister and Zack Grienke are both still young. Bannister doesn't overpower anybody and if Detroit or some of the better offenses in the league see him to much they could figure out his tricks and really light him up. Grienke has never ever been consistent, I really hope he gets it together and it looks like after tonight he has. Meche pitched way better last year than he did ever as a Mariner, so...we'll see if he can keep it up.

Haha I'm not trying to burst your bubble or anything, I'd be overjoyed if the Royals were .500 + and were in contention for the wild card. Same goes for the Rays.

I will concede the Royals closer, Soria, is nasty.

I have both Meche and Greinke on my fantasy team and I've been very pleased with their first starts of the season. I haven't watched any of their games though.

I'm an Indians fan and I enjoyed Fausto Carmona' solid game. Sabathia, on the other hand...

Did anybody catch Cueto pitch? The guy's got some nasty stuff.

Wow, im really surprised with the Cardinals so far. They are doing really well even with all the injuries and such.

Also the Brewers are dominating out there lately, i wouldnt be surprised if the Brewers won this beast and the Cards took the WC. Screw chicago.

Not to burst your bubble, but the Royals going 83-79 is not a great accomplishment at all lol (and they are already down to 3-2 now)

Kosuke Fukudome jokes are my new favorite form of dumb MLB humor.

Milwaukee also is off to a hot start, and they definitely deserve to do well after last season's disappointments.

They're 0-5, but it seriously isn't a big deal. They just hit their season slump early in the season. They'll be like the Yankees; have average pitching (well, little better than average compared to the Yankees), but have a mean hitting line-up that'll get you in the playoff race later in the season.

Five losses is a huge deal in a conference that has had an impossibly competitive wild card race recently.

Boston versus Blue Jays has been a good game so far (on TBS).

I want the Devil Rays to beat the Yankees ;D

Back