Team preferences

Which team do you prefer to use

• Total voters
When scouring the sub-forums in Stark Mountain, I noticed that both the Ubers and UU sub-forum have a thread discussing about different team types. So I decided to post this thread asking users which play style (as outlined in the poll) they prefer to use. I would also like for them to explain why they prefer to use their preferred style over others and explain why you like using that play style. If you like using more than one play style please explain as well.

Here is an example of a response:

I currently play HO teams due to ease of breaking down stall and its fast-paced games that result from playing it. I also like using Bulky Offense since it allows me to take hits while still posing an offensive threat, but the pace is too slow to my liking. Those are also the same reasons why I prefer not to play stall teams. Meanwhile, balanced teams are too little specialized for my liking.

Edit: It has also came to my attention that the play styles people play aren't the same as their preferred style. If that is the case for you, please identify the play style you use and the reason why you use it over your preferred play style.

Personally, I prefer just to overwhelm an opponent's walls then sweep, so heavy/hyper offense is my favorite play style.

Looking at the results of the poll, it looks a lot like obi-stall really isn't very popular. I assume that's because of the difficulty involved in playing stall, and most players simply aren't skilled enough to run stall teams. That's just my guess though, any other ideas?

I prefer Bulky Offense and Balanced, but lately I've transitioned to Heavy Offense as it is easier to use and matches up better against most teams IMO.

I've never played stall, and am unlikely to do it much.
I've tried aspects of HO, but I'm not sure I've fully adopted it. (TBH I'm not entirely clear what it is) I've also used bulkier offense, and balanced teams.
My teams have tended to have one thing in common - I use what I call supporters. A supporter is normally a wall, but with moves to benefit teammates. Baton Passers obviously, and also screeners and wishers. Something like Clefable with Wish, Light Screen, Reflect, Seismic Toss. Its purpose is to help other things set up and thus sweep. Behind screens, a lot of things that normally counter your sweepers are less able to. Uxie's another good example, Memento forcing a switch thus giving a free setup - though of course you can only do that once, so it has to be made count.

EDIT: Stall is unpopular because where's the appeal? Sitting there waiting while sandstorm and toxic accumulate, spamming recover or roar, whatever. I just can't see I'd find any satisfaction playing it.

HO is great. Unless the opponent has some specific problem pokes on their team you can usually get the sweep within three switch-ins.

This thread is going nowhere...

In an attempt to start some discussion, why do you like your chosen play style?

I like HO because it is almost impossible for a single dedicated wall to stop your entire team, which is what most people run, just one or two. All there is to be done is send somebody in on what they can set up on, set up on the switch, and try to get a couple of kills, wash, rinse, repeat. It's a simple, but effective play style. I'm naturally an impatient person, so quick games are really what I like.

I find it funny how a lot of people are voting HO yet I don't see it much on the ladder. o.o I find that stall and semi-stall is much more common...

This thread is going nowhere...

In an attempt to start some discussion, why do you like your chosen play style?
Added that into the OP; though, I thought people would do that anyway without me asking.

I would like to tell users to properly explain why they use their play style if they post in this thread. This includes why you prefer not to use other playing styles.

1338 said:
I find it funny how a lot of people are voting HO yet I don't see it much on the ladder. o.o I find that stall and semi-stall is much more common...
Keep in mind that this is a thread about preferred play styles, not the the ones that they use - most people with a good ranking play more stallish teams since its more consistent than HO.

I like HO because it is almost impossible for a single dedicated wall to stop your entire team, which is what most people run, just one or two. All there is to be done is send somebody in on what they can set up on, set up on the switch, and try to get a couple of kills, wash, rinse, repeat. It's a simple, but effective play style. I'm naturally an impatient person, so quick games are really what I like.
I agree with you completely. Most of my teams are just brute force desimating my opponent if succesful although my highest score on Shoddy is only 1450s. It's fun and fast paced so that's why I chose HO.
I really enjoy using rain dance teams, set up rain and sweep. Not many walls can withstand the right combination of rain dance pokes (I'm a HUGE fan of rain dance pokes). Only way I normally get owned with rain dance is Vaporeon (if my Ludicolo is down) or T-tars + other auto weather pokes in OU.

I sometimes attempt to play with BO but I find that too time consuming and I will get destroyed with good well thought out HO teams.

I really hate stall, I've attempted it once on Shoddy, never again ^^. It's not very fun, sorry

I'm a fan of bulky offense and balanced, but my current favorite playstyle is modern stall, specifically semi-stall, because it takes advantage of all the residual damage stall uses while still maintaining offensive tempo.

I don't really like stall, as the play is too slow-paced for my liking, and I've never tried heavy offense before.

The SPrinkLer

Banned deucer.
Heavy Offense is so easy to beat, so I don't know why it's so popular. All you need is a Scarftar to beat their Azelf when they inevetibally Taunt, SR, and Crunch. Nextly, you just need a great mixed attacker like Expert Belt Jirachi. I've never lost to Heavy Offense with my current team due to this.

My favorite playstyle is semi-stall. I like it because you can be offensive while retaining great defensive capabilities. You have a lot more freedom due to this IMO.

Ripping through half the opponent's team is very satisfying. Thus, I try and create the conditions for that to happen. Not many things will stop a +4 Lucario or a twice-danced Salamence. +4 SD Mach Punch Breloom is another big threat, and perhaps a little harder to stop setting up when behind screens and with Poison Heal (whereas even behind screens, Luke can get OHKOed by Earthquakes, and Salamence by powerful ice attacks)

A risky gamble paying off is also satisfying. To use an example I've mentioned before: I'll bring my Scarfgar in on opposing Rotom-H. Now the obvious thing to do is Shadow Ball. But if I expect my opponent will bring in a Heatran or normal-type, (because they did so last time it was Scarfgar vs Rotom-H) I might decide to chance a Focus Blast.

Conversely, I'll try and not be too predictable myself. Often I'll have more than one way to deal with an opposing Pokemon; against Infernape, say, I might go to Vaporeon the first time, but Heatproof Bronzong the second. (This is a general example; I'm not 100% sure how sound either of them really are as Infernape switch-ins.)

I don't tend to use choice users much. Sure, they pack a punch, but they result in more switching than I'd like. When you switch something in, you expect it to possibly scare off what your opponent has. With a choice user, you thus need to predict the switch in; get it wrong and you have to switch yourself, even if your opponent can't really threaten back. The number of times I've had to switch Scarfgar out, then back in, in order to change moves, is enough to put me off choiced variants on many other Pokemon (even though Scarfgar himself is an excellent revenge killer). And, of course, choice users make terrible last Pokemon.

Lead-wise, I favour Aerodactyl. Anything faster can't put up rocks, anything slower it stops. TrickScarfers don't bother it that much because it still has a strong Earthquake and Rock Slide to work with. No doubt someone can explain to me why (insert favourite lead) is better.

Heavy Offense is so easy to beat, so I don't know why it's so popular. All you need is a Scarftar to beat their Azelf when they inevetibally Taunt, SR, and Crunch. Nextly, you just need a great mixed attacker like Expert Belt Jirachi. I've never lost to Heavy Offense with my current team due to this.
Maybe its because you made an entire thread promoting it e.e

Err I like stallish teams. They are really reliable as there is such a strong defensive backbone to fall back on.

a little more toned up version of heavy offense , or ballanced offense with usually at least one or two pokemon that can stall. I like using rain dance teams and dislike choice items other than choice scarf.

Stall is the playing style that I do the best with but it can get a little boring after awhile so in both UU and OU my favorite style of play would have to be Bulky Offense.

I like that I still have the defenses to make safe switch ins but still have enough offense to break walls and/or sweep.

I play Bulky offensive or balanced, but I'm a offensive type of guy.

I can do stall, but it takes to long and I don't prefer it.

Normally, I would play stall, but HO is quickly becoming one of my favorite play styles. Though, from the beginning, I have always been used to balanced teams and they are actually pretty good.

In a metagame where you have a mix of teams such as stall teams and HO teams everywhere Balanced teams seem pretty good. For example, a G/W/F core is actually viable in OU, as long as you have a spinner. These teams like to switch a lot due to resistances and so a spinner can actually be useful. A wish-passer and cleric make stall's job extremely difficult, and HO can only hope to get passed 2 sub toxic staller, especially when one of them has roost. A solid revenge killer can round things out. With mini plans like these it becomes quite easy to handle most teams.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
EDIT: Stall is unpopular because where's the appeal? Sitting there waiting while sandstorm and toxic accumulate, spamming recover or roar, whatever. I just can't see I'd find any satisfaction playing it.
The appeal of stall is knowing how annoyed your opponent is getting (and who doesn't enjoy the suffering of others?)

When I play Pokemon, it's me vs. some threats. My main thought is, if I see a threat, I want to get rid of it asap. That's why I can never get into stall - it takes too long to get rid of threats. It's also why I can't really get into HO that much - you ever seen a HO team with zero set-up sweepers? And on the turn that you set up, your sweeper either takes a hit or is faced with an insurmountable obstacle (unless the sweeper is Salamence), and that's assuming that there is ample opportunity for the set-up sweeper to come in in the first place - it is not possible to completely shut down the opponent's strategy in the first turn unless they have a shit team. Usually when I make teams, I consider all six pokemon to be of equal importance and I only sacrifice pokemon when I have no choice and/or I know all of my opponent's team and so can decide which pokemon I do not need. That's why I stick to bulky offence and balanced teams.

Also, every team I make has to have a cleric. I am paranoid about parahax.

I prefer and play a balanced team because there is just so much you can do with it. More surprise can come out of a balanced then any other team IMO. And the element of surprise is important in the metagame. There are a lot more usable pokemon that can play on a balanced team as opposed to being restricted to using certain pokemon in other types of teams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)