Some thoughts on leading Pokemon

Hypnosis/Uturn Crobat has been my lead for awhile now, it works quite well, Sleep their lead or the Pokemon they switch in, then U-Turn the next turn, switching to counter whatever they do, leave in the sleeping Pokemon or switch to something else. This really puts the opponent on the ropes really early.

Hypnosis/Uturn Crobat has been my lead for awhile now, it works quite well, Sleep their lead or the Pokemon they switch in, then U-Turn the next turn, switching to counter whatever they do, leave in the sleeping Pokemon or switch to something else. This really puts the opponent on the ropes really early.
When using this though you must beware of any sleepers with Lum Berry who can take any attack you throw at them, especially in Item Clause tournaments. Spiritomb works perfectly as a lead for this thanks to Pain Split, which makes Leftovers less important and thus freeing up the item for someone else. If this is a possible situation against an opponent, I would U-turn first and switch to a Sleep Talker for example.

mm2001's idea for a gengar moveset was one of the most innovative things ive seen so far this generation. I won't say what it is here, because I'm sure he wants to keep it private for now

fuck it it's hypnosis/explosion/counter/hp ice or fighting i think@focus sash

I know this is like, a page later... but DanDan... mm2001 totally did not come up with that... Ive been using that since before the US DP release... though I use Destiny Bond over Explosion...

Yeah its a good idea, but you're in a bit of trouble if the Lum Berry Spiritomb I mentioned earlier shows its face. Then again, there are probably 100% counters to that too, so ignore me if you so wish.

so swampert as a starter is a bad idea due to gyarados? i'm still having trouble deciding on a lead.

is jolteon still a good lead in this generation? i'm afraid of random scarfers taking me out.

I would think Jolteon makes a good lead and a Jolteon saves EVs in Speed so you can focus on SpAtk with a Scarf, but then you can't Sub n' Sweep. I always lead with Heracross ala Scarf or something else fast.

I would think Jolteon makes a good lead and a Jolteon saves EVs in Speed so you can focus on SpAtk with a Scarf, but then you can't Sub n' Sweep. I always lead with Heracross ala Scarf or something else fast.

Unless you have Hidden Power, I wouldn't advocate any Choice Item on Jolteon, since he can sweep with Thunderbolt, Shadow Ball, and uh. . .anything else? (Steelix laughs at Jolteon with no Hidden Power)

Steelix laughs at any Jolteon barring HP Fire, Fighting or Ground.

I have a question, so I'll just post it here to avoid making a thread.

What's the preferred Speed on a CS Gengar? Does it run more than 270? The analysis didn't cover that unfortunately and I'd like to know.

Unless you have Hidden Power, I wouldn't advocate any Choice Item on Jolteon, since he can sweep with Thunderbolt, Shadow Ball, and uh. . .anything else? (Steelix laughs at Jolteon with no Hidden Power)
Just make sure you EV train properly, as ignoring HP and Sp.Def leaves you vulnerable to SubPetaya Jolteon with HP Grass/Ice should you decide to switch in. Max HP/Min Sp.Def is sufficient to take two boosted HPs from Timid variants, however, Modest variants require some Sp.Def investment without Lefties. 40 EVs would suffice according to my calculations.

EDIT: Sorry adman 2, I meant to quote CWW.

Back