Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because it's a complex ban; you might as well say "is the council considering retesting Iron Ball Greninja".
No, they are separate forms, like Arceus or Therian forms. Go into the teambuilder and you'll see. Drives also visably changed Gene's apperance, and can't be knocked off. Unbanning Gene forms is not going to happen, but it's also not near Iron Ball Greninja.

No, they are separate forms, like Arceus or Therian forms. Go into the teambuilder and you'll see. Drives also visably changed Gene's apperance, and can't be knocked off. Unbanning Gene forms is not going to happen, but it's also not near Iron Ball Greninja.
Oh... right, I forgot. Lol never mind then; could be fun in that case :U
That said however; would there be any chance of unbanning some of the more awful Arceus forms; ie Bug?

Arceus-Bug is still an Arceus whose typing changes due to its ability+item, it's not a separate mon. The seemingly different Genesects are actually the same as well, the held drives only change the typing of Techno Blast, so it doesn't make it a different mon. iirc the different forms of these mons are present in teambuilder for custom matches/hackmons, but i'm not sure about this, and them being present separately in the dex doesn't have anything to do with your question, they are just there.

What is the best Wallbreaker set and nature for Kyurem?
I looked at the Pokédex and there was a choice band set with an adamant nature and Ice Beam on it, primarily to hit Lando-T. Is a -nature uninvested Ice Beam enough to kill the most common sets and do I need to hit anything else with Ice Beam?

What is the best Wallbreaker set and nature for Kyurem?
I looked at the Pokédex and there was a choice band set with an adamant nature and Ice Beam on it, primarily to hit Lando-T. Is a -nature uninvested Ice Beam enough to kill the most common sets and do I need to hit anything else with Ice Beam?
Assuming we're talking about Kyurem-B, its best set is usually one of its two LO set, though the Substitute set is neat since it can let you dodge burns and paralysis. The band set is designed more for doubles and isn't that great in OU. When you use the dex, you should check the Tag underneath the item since the ones with OU as the tag are oriented towards OU.

Assuming we're talking about Kyurem-B, its best set is usually one of its two LO set, though the Substitute set is neat since it can let you dodge burns and paralysis. The band set is designed more for doubles and isn't that great in OU. When you use the dex, you should check the Tag underneath the item since the ones with OU as the tag are oriented towards OU.

Thanks! Just read the Doubles tag :>
If I go with the physical Life Orb Set, is it more important to tank physical or special attacks better?

I think the Gene and Arceus formes are listed separately because it makes it much easier to search for and find a specific forme in the Smogon dex.
Oh... right, I forgot. Lol never mind then; could be fun in that case :U
That said however; would there be any chance of unbanning some of the more awful Arceus forms; ie Bug?

I highly doubt it. 120 stats across the board is really, really good. Additionally, we don't really know how they'd fit into OU based on their usage is in Ubers or AG. Even if Arc-Bug or Arc-Electric are ca-ca in Ubers, that's not necessarily a criterion for a drop to OU.

Of course, even if it was the case that certain Arceuses weren't too crazy for OU, testing them in OU would probably be of very low priority for the OU Council. The formes are also decided by an item/ability combination, so the resulting ban would probably be something like "Arceus holding [long list of Plates excluding Bug] is banned". This seems like a complex unban to me, which might estop this inquiry completely. Same goes for Genesect with its drives. There's a small chance that I'm viewing this incorrectly, so let's page AM.

^not me.
Also, q: how bans happen is pretty obv, but where is it discussed/decided if a previously banned mon deserves to be re-tested? Is it upto the council only or is there some form of open participation available?

Thanks! Just read the Doubles tag :>
If I go with the physical Life Orb Set, is it more important to tank physical or special attacks better?
That largely depends on team preference and what you expect him to switch into. I don't think either nature will save him from any noteworthy SE STAB hits from either spectrum, so just choose the nature based on what non-SE attacks you think it'll end up taking.

I was wondering: for the Kyurem-B Substitute Attacker set, would it be better to run 40 HP EVs rather than 56? 40 HP EVs gives it 401 HP, and since Substitutes have 1/4 of the Pokémon's max HP plus one, this will give Kyube 101 HP Subs while keeping HP at an odd number. The other 16 EVs can be put in Speed to outspeed other threats, or SpA for more damage, whichever one's not max invested.

I'm pretty sure that substitute doesn't add 1 HP to it at the end. They just take 1/4 of it, and ignore all remainders. So if you had like 403 HP, you could only make 100 HP subs.

I got this off of Bulba:
Using 25% of its maximum HP, the user creates a substitute with 1 HP more than the amount of HP lost by the user.
I checked the rest of the article, and it didn't say anything about the +1 HP being removed from the move's mechanics.

I got this off of Bulba: I checked the rest of the article, and it didn't say anything about the +1 HP being removed from the move's mechanics.
It's because factors such as the Substitute values and stat increases that would theoretically have a decimal round down. 403 / 4 = 100.75 but taking into account the factor of rounding down it would be 100, hence the 100 HP subs.

It's because factors such as the Substitute values and stat increases that would theoretically have a decimal round down. 403 / 4 = 100.75 but taking into account the factor of rounding down it would be 100, hence the 100 HP subs.
So wouldn't that mean that 401 HP ÷ 4 = 100.25 HP, and ceiling(100.25) = 101 HP?

So wouldn't that mean that 401 HP/4= 100.25 HP, and ceiling(100.25)=101 HP?
No because when there is a decimal value, hypothetical speaking, it rounds down to the next whole number. For example if you went ahead and took something with a stat value of 285 in speed and say it gained +1, x1.5 basically, it would be 285 x 1.5 = 427.5. However because there is a decimal value in there it'll go to the next whole number down, 427. It's not really like your typical rounding where you go up or down depending on its value. It'll go down to the next whole number if there is a decimal value regardless of how close it is to the next whole number going upwards in value.

To help clarify, I think the issue is the wording. If you look at the possible ways to interpret the wiki's wording, we have two scenarios:
(401+1) / 4 = 402 / 4 = 100
(400/4) + 1 = 100 + 1 = 101

note that for integer (non-decimal) division, you always round down.

To help visualize, look at this gif:
Substitute_V.png

If you look, the 114 HP Samurott went down to 86 HP, thus losing 28 HP. Looking at the math:
(114+1) / 4 = 115 / 4 = 28.75 = 28
(114/4) + 1 = 28.5 + 1 = 29

Therefore the first scenario, where the extra 1 HP is added before division, is the correct one

Huh. Well, I just tested it out, and my initial hypothesis was disproven :/
But thanks anyway, guys! On another note, would Sub Kyu-B be better off with Max SAtk/200 Spe, or 200 SAtk/Max Spe?

As with most things, that's going to depend quite a bit on what you intend on needing it to beat.

The difference between 252 and 200 speed means that Cube ends up beating both forms of Gyarados, M-Altaria, Dragonite, Gallade, Mamoswine, Togekiss, Diggersby and Heatran, was well as neutral M-Garchomp Lucario, and Lando-T. Granted, the sub helps to mitigate a lot of that loss, your ability to do damage becomes a lot cleaner with the added speed. The loss in damage between 200 Attack against 252 attack is only about 4%, but I'm not sure what kills that ends up securing, since I don't really use Cube much myself, and typically just try to prepare for the worst he can bring.

Essentially, if those specific threats look like they might be enough to be worth stopping, especially those requiring a 2HKO to get the job done, I'd say you'd best go with speed. If you have enough countermeasures in your team otherwise, or don't mind losing a sub to cut these guys out after they switch, 200 speed will do just fine.

Last edited:
One more question before I go: so say I start out with Breloom while my opponent starts out with a non-Grass type. I use Spore, the opponent falls asleep. I switch out into my Meloetta, while he switches out as well. I decide to use Relic Song so I can change to Meloetta-P, but while doing so, the RNG of Relic Song put the opponent's new Pokémon to sleep, and the first Pokémon has not woken up yet. Would this violate Sleep Clause?

One more question before I go: so say I start out with Breloom while my opponent starts out with a non-Grass type. I use Spore, the opponent falls asleep. I switch out into my Meloetta, while he switches out as well. I decide to use Relic Song so I can change to Meloetta-P, but while doing so, the RNG of Relic Song put the opponent's new Pokémon to sleep, and the first Pokémon has not woken up yet. Would this violate Sleep Clause?
No, because it is not an intentional violation. It is only if you use a move which has a 100% sleep chance.

If I recall correctly, in Showdown, while sleep clause is in effect, attempting to put a pokemon to sleep while another one is already sleeping (outside of self inflicted sleep) will cause you to always fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back