Ladder ORAS 1v1 [3v3 Team Preview]

I've found that the 3v3 team preview mechanic really has given the old 1v1 meta a breath of fresh air, opening it up to a level of depth it could never reach before.

Now, instead of risking everything on a bland and completely chance-dependent flip-o'-the-coin, I can take a slightly enlightened coinflip which will leave me with a warm, mushy feeling if successful and a dented sense of pride if not.

I live for that warm, mushy feeling. Glory to 3v3 1v1.

Can Species Clause be removed from 1v1? It doesn't add anything to it, someone bringing three identical Char-Ys is not at a particular advantage to someone bringing Char-Y and two random additions. If I want to use three slightly different Shuckles, that should be allowable.

Last edited:
Can Species Clause be removed from 1v1? It doesn't add anything to it, someone bringing three identical Char-Ys is not at a particular disadvantage to someone bringing Char-Y and two random additions. If I want to use three slightly different Shuckles, that should be allowable.
I agree; it would also be fun (not particularly good, though) to run both Charizard-Y and Charizard-X.

I agree; it would also be fun (not particularly good, though) to run both Charizard-Y and Charizard-X.
Even so, you wouldn't be able to do that because of a limited amount of mega stones.
Still, I support this idea. I want to use my 3 kyurem-B sets on one team.

pj

is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
Can Species Clause be removed from 1v1? It doesn't add anything to it, someone bringing three identical Char-Ys is not at a particular advantage to someone bringing Char-Y and two random additions. If I want to use three slightly different Shuckles, that should be allowable.
Nice Idea I support using Charizard Y and X would be Fun

Can the move imprison be removed from 1v1? it's very annoying to deal with it when you can't change pokemon...

It's not broken at all...
ok, i think that if the user with imprison is faster than you, you only have 4 turns (5 if you have leftovers) to kill him with only struggle and it can become very difficult if your opponent use rest/wish-protect/recover. If you are faster you can hit him one time and hope for a OHKO (focus sash solve the problem) then your opponent can use spore/spell powder/yawm, use imprison and you can win only with a 1st turn wake up...

Focus sash is banned in the metagame. The only thing capable of abusing this is Smeargle (spore imprison transform), and that is remedied by a faster Taunt, Lum/Chesto/Goggles, Magic Coat, Magic Bounce, or something faster that can OHKO (not very hard, 85 base speed with really bad defenses).

I believe it is a thing in battle formats on X/Y. I need to double check though. For now...
So yes, perish song falls under the self-ko clause, as does destiny bond.
perish song still works though.

also...

FearRatatta said:
So, before the Perish Song change I'll post this, another set that everyone will hate:

Wigglytuff @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Cute Charm
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Rest
- Thunder Wave

The Sassy nature and 0 Speed IVs are to make it even slower. Uses Perish Song, then uses Protect, Rest, Protect. Thunder Wave is the filler move, but I might replace it with Knock Off to deal with the Probopass running rampant here.
Lapras has better defensive stats and is overall bulkier, even though it is faster at 60 speed, not much is in between 38-23 speed, which is the stuff wigglytuff will get but lapras won't. also items are not factored in (I tried lagging tail celebi), so I imagine paralasis won't be either.

I'd like to showcase my newest successful 1v1 gimmicks (Don't really think this should be an RMT because its 1v1 lol)

Peak: 1723 on 7/13/14

Blissey (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt/Thunder/Counter
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Beam
- Ice Beam

OHKOs mawile, char x, pinsir, garchomp, lando, -1 victini... whatever. The point is, the thing mixes bulk and STAB hyper beam into one pokemon. Thunder can 2HKO gyarados-mega, although losing out on accuracy vs zard Y hurts. Counter beats scarf Kyube and others if you're really worried about accuracy. It's the ultimate lure, and it does a great job at it too, being able to consistently beat certain pokemon.

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Counter/Metal Burst
- Iron Head
- Toxic
- Sucker Punch

Trying to find other gimmicks, I stumbled upon this thing, a pokemon that has 120 base defense, intimidate, access to huge power, priority, and an immunity to toxic. It was the perfect gimmick. Counter helps it beat other mega mawiles (it can live a +1 iron head). Plus it helps when you only take 90% from a -1 megazard X flare blitz. Iron head is there for STAB and coverage against the ever-so-annoying fairies. Toxic beats stallers like mew and chansey (otherwise my team just dies to them). Sucker Punch replaced play rough for much needed priority, plus fairy coverage wasn't that useful with counter around since most dragons are scarfed. Metal burst can be used over Counter along with a max specially defensive EV spread, allowing it to do stuff like live specs greninja hydro cannon and KO back with metal burst.

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Specs
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Rock Slide

I lost to this set once when it OHKO'd my mawile with earth power. I decided that I wanted to try it too, and turns out, it covered my team's weaknesses perfectly. Ice Beam just straight-out OHKOs Mega Venusaur and Whimsicott. Earth Power takes care of Mawile, magnezone, and sturdy users, and a specs Draco OHKOs the Weakness Policy Kyurem-B that Celestial Badger and DeadFred use (which is probably the biggest threat in the meta right now). A -0 attack rock slide OHKOs max hp zard y, and that pretty much covers the rest of the team.

Of course, now that I posted these sets, they won't be nearly as useful, so if you steal it, don't expect to get to top 10 or something because all the surprise value is gone. I better see at least 4 of these teams for OMPL

I'd like to showcase my newest successful 1v1 gimmicks (Don't really think this should be an RMT because its 1v1 lol)

Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Beam
- Ice Beam

OHKOs mawile, char x, pinsir, garchomp, lando, -1 victini... whatever. The point is, the thing mixes bulk and STAB hyper beam into one pokemon. Thunder can 2HKO gyarados-mega, although losing out on accuracy vs zard Y hurts. Counter beats scarf Kyube and others if you're really worried about accuracy. It's the ultimate lure, and it does a great job at it too, being able to consistently beat certain pokemon.

Mawile @ Mawilite
Impish Nature
- Counter/Metal Burst
- Iron Head
- Toxic
- Sucker Punch

Trying to find other gimmicks, I stumbled upon this thing, a pokemon that has 120 base defense, intimidate, access to huge power, priority, and an immunity to toxic. It was the perfect gimmick. Counter helps it beat other mega mawiles (it can live a +1 iron head). Plus it helps when you only take 90% from a -1 megazard X flare blitz. Iron head is there for STAB and coverage against the ever-so-annoying fairies. Toxic beats stallers like mew and chansey (otherwise my team just dies to them). Sucker Punch replaced play rough for much needed priority, plus fairy coverage wasn't that useful with counter around since most dragons are scarfed. Metal burst can be used over Counter along with a max specially defensive EV spread, allowing it to do stuff like live specs greninja hydro cannon and KO back with metal burst.

Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Rock Slide

I lost to this set once when it OHKO'd my mawile with earth power. I decided that I wanted to try it too, and turns out, it covered my team's weaknesses perfectly. Ice Beam just straight-out OHKOs Mega Venusaur and Whimsicott. Earth Power takes care of Mawile, magnezone, and sturdy users, and a specs Draco OHKOs the Weakness Policy Kyurem-B that Celestial Badger and DeadFred use (which is probably the biggest threat in the meta right now). A -0 attack rock slide OHKOs max hp zard y, and that pretty much covers the rest of the team.

Of course, now that I posted these sets, they won't be nearly as useful, so if you steal it, don't expect to get to top 10 or something because all the surprise value is gone. I better see at least 4 of these teams for OMPL
Blissey says hi : she walls your entire team (Chansey also works, but Blissey is generally better in 1v1) Otherwise it's a great and original team, I might steal part of it as well !
I won't post my team that got me over #5 several times, but I also use tons of gimmick/stupidly annoying mons... People should stop running HO teams.

Blissey says hi : she walls your entire team (Chansey also works, but Blissey is generally better in 1v1) Otherwise it's a great and original team, I might steal part of it as well !
I won't post my team that got me over #5 several times, but I also use tons of gimmick/stupidly annoying mons... People should stop running HO teams.
Toxic Mega Mawile deals with blissey and chansey fine. In fact, that's actually the main reason I run toxic on Mawile; to deal with chansey, blissey, and mew.

Toxic Mega Mawile deals with blissey and chansey fine. In fact, that's actually the main reason I run toxic on Mawile; to deal with chansey, blissey, and mew.
It depends on EV spreads and movesets, but Blissey usually 3HKO/4HKO Mawile (guaranted 4HKO with Seismic Toss) while, on the other hand :
0 Atk Mawile Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 136-162 (19 - 22.6%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
Even if you Toxic her, she will kill you faster than you do. Remember that smart Blissey players won't just spam Counter...

Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Beam
- Ice Beam

Mawile @ Mawilite
Impish Nature
- Counter/Metal Burst
- Iron Head
- Toxic
- Sucker Punch

Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Rock Slide

I would suggest putting 136 speed evs in kyurem so it can outspeed max speed adamant dragonite that can kill it in 1 hit with outrage, then i would suggest running relaxed nature with 0 speed IVs on mawile to underspeed other Mawiles which you can metal burst without a speed tie after the change.

Last edited:
I would suggest putting 136 speed evs in kyurem so it can outspeed max speed adamant dragonite that can kill it in 1 hit with outrage, then i would suggest running relaxed nature with 0 speed IVs on mawile to underspeed other Mawiles which you can metal burst without a speed tie after the change.
I'm not going to take the first suggestion of 136 speed evs on kyurem for one main reason: If I do that, it loses out on the ability to beat stuff like Band Garchomp, Mega Zard X, and most importantly, Mega Mawile. I could try the idea, as max spd banded dragonite is a problem, but I fight far more max HP variants than speed variants, and the ability to beat mega mawile is just too much of a price to pay.
As for the second suggestion, I alternate between Impish and Relaxed, because sometimes it's good to outspeed and others it's good to outslow. But you're right, generally relaxed is better for laddering.

Has this been implemented? It seems like a good idea... It takes nothing away from the meta while still keeping the spirit of 1v1, just like having a 3v3 team preview.

I propose banning the moves Explosion, Self-Destruct, Final Gambit, Memento, Lunar Dance, and Perish Song.

The first five faint the user, resulting in an instant loss and making the moves absolutely pointless in 1v1.
Perish Song is a cheap win for the slower Pokemon and should be banned for being uncompetitive.

Also, remove Species Clause - pointless in 1v1.

Allow all of them, except Perish Song. Perish Song is uncompetitive, Lunar Dance has the same effect as Splash, and the others making you lose just punishes you for using a cheap trick.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)