Nuzlocke Challenge

im in! i'll be doing this on emeralld, and will make it like a fanfic. THE RULEZ

1.can only catch first poke on route
2.Cant buy any higher ball than poke
3. Must store in box if faints, its dead
4. Must nickname all
A few friendly Emerald related comments.

1. There are two trainers, one in Mt.Pyre and the other in the Mossbridge Gym (I think :/) who have Wobbuffet who were the bane of my challenge.

2. Hope you like Houndeynas :)

Well technically this belongs in this thread too. I'm just hear to say that i will soon be starting a Scramblocke Challenge (rules explained later on in post)

Here is the party i received from the Smogon scramble thread:

1. Ampharos - Fire Punch+Thunder Punch
2. Onix - Caught+Evolve after soloing Bugsy at level <13
3. Tentacool - Can evolve after using constrict in two gym battles+Constrict
4. Magnemite - Evolve before Chuck+Evolve again after Misty (343Guilty possibly)+Spark
5. Clefable - Magic Guard+Double-edge.
6. Gastly - Can evolve into Gengar right before the 8th gym leader. Must know Focus Punch.
7. Diglett - Safari Zone+Arena Trap+Earthquake+Evolve after 32 spc.attk evs.
8. Venomoth - Signal Beam+3 non-directly damaging moves
9. Forretress
10. Skarmory - Steel Wing+No spikes+2 tms
11. Eevee - Evolve to corresponding HP. If none, then it stays a eevee
12. Octillery - No surf in battle+Only physical moves after evolving at lv.25 which it must be taught.

Here are the rules i will be following:

*I need 12 Pokemon
*I can order these twelve Pokemon how ever i want, in terms of order of use
*Once one of my Pokemon faints, i must put it in a box labeled 'dead' (i don't like releasing them)
*Once someone 'dies', i replace it with the next Pokemon in the order.
*I may need to repost later to get more Pokemon, because more than 12 might 'die'
*No loading the game when one of my Pokemonz dies (i was allowed to load in my last nuzlocke i did and it reduced the fun)

I will be making this into a comic and a link will be put into my Sig, just telling you guys because i can.

@Texas Cloverleaf
I got the slugma from primo by entering the secret words which vary from game to game depending on your ID I believe. I also got the ho-oh background for the cryo box and the lugia background for my dead box.

I decided as for gift pokemon go I can have 1 of each one, as in one egg from primo and one from the game corner. I'm playing under rather lad rules for my first nuzlocke run I guess. But no pokewalker.

Just a note, technically you aren't allowed to get those eggs from Primo if and egg counts as a Pokemon. One Pokemon from each area, and you have to get the Togepi egg to continue through the storyline so technically you can't get the egg from Primo or the traded Onix. But thats just what i think, depends on whether you class a egg as a Pokemon...

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Restarted my Nuzlocke challenge for SoulSilver, after my abysmal first run (fuck you Kakuna!). First the rules:
The Big Rules

-If a Pokemon in your party faints, you must release it.
-Every time you reach a new route, cave, etc., you must catch the very first Pokemon you see, regardless of your current number of party members. The Pokemon may sit within the box for an indeterminate amount of time as a backup.
-Duplicate clause: If your first wild Pokemon is a species you have already captured, you may ignore it.
-If you fail to catch the first Pokemon you see, either via it fleeing, knocking it out, or having no Pokeballs, you may not catch another. Tough shit.
-This means you can not catch a pokemon in a route you were in before you could catch pokemon, if you fought one. So no route 29 and 30, you were there before you had pokeballs.
-You are, under no circumstance, allowed to get a second pokemon from any given area.
-You must nickname your pokemon so there is some sort of attachment. Each pokemon is a best friend to you, to see them die is heartbreaking.
-If your entire party faints, they all must be thrown away. If you have a pokemon left in a box somewhere, you may continue, otherwise you must start your game over.
-You are not allowed to switch out before the enemy trainer sends in a new Pokemon.
-You are not allowed to use legendaries in battle.

Some nitpicky rules. This is to cover those pesky "what-if" and "can I?" scenarios that people ask a lot.

-Usage of the following is forbidden: Mystery Gift, Daycare, Pokewalker, out-of-game Trades
-In-game Trades with NPCs are allowed, but you must follow the above rules (no catching Pokemon in routes you've already had a chance in).
-You may not use the Game Corner to acquire any Pokemon.
-The Safari Zone counts as one whole area/route, not 6-12 separate areas/routes (you may catch a Geodude and Sandshrew for Baoba's test before you enforce this rule, however if you attempt to catch any other Pokemon this rule is automatically enforced)
-Non-wild Pokemon do not count against an area (ie: Bill's Eevee, the Togepi Egg, Primo eggs in Violet Town).
-Storyline wild pokemon (Red Gyarados, Sudowoodo, Snorlax) DO count against an area. So if you fight a Magikarp in the Lake of Rage before you talk to the Red Gyarados, you may not capture the Red Gyarados.
-If by some miracle you make it through Routes 29 or 30 and get your first Pokeballs without fighting a wild Pokemon, those routes are fair game. -National Park Contest is the same area as the National Park. Meaning if you fight a poke in the park, you cannot capture one in the contest.
-Anything not covered by the rules is fair game.

Some general observations before I get to my story so far. I'm probably going to up the difficulty if I do another Nuzlocke challenge in the future.
Duplicate Pokemon clause definitely makes the game loads easier. That way you don't get stuck with like 5 Rattata, 3 Hoothoot, or what have you. It comes down to "Do you want forced diversity, or do you want a chance at screwing yourself?" Personally I'm all about diversity with my Pokemans.

Unlimited item availability basically means the only thing that's going to kill your Pokemon is carelessness, running out of money, or bad luck, which definitely makes it easy mode. No item usage at all is pretty nutso, and takes a lot of balls to pull off (and I don't mean Poke Balls either). No buying items (and only using items you find) means you have to rely on item drops and/or Pickup, and is probably a more balanced approach. Not sure about growing Berries, but unlike in DPPt Berry availability isn't as much (as you can only grow 4 Berry plants at a time and you have to rely on Mom buying them and delivering them to the Pokemart).

If you're into limited Poke Balls, HG/SS has a serious lack of Poke Balls of any kind later in the game unless you have a Pokemon with Pickup. Could also use Kurt's Apricorn Balls, but since you can theoretically unload 99 Apricorns on him and pick them up the next day, it greatly increases the availability. Then again so does Pickup. Perhaps limiting yourself to only one Apricorn Ball a day and no more (since technically you aren't buying them, and there's a time delay). If you're a purist, the worst Apricorn Balls are Moon Ball (unless capturing a Clefairy, Jigglypuff, or a Nidoran) and Friend Ball (unless you're capturing a Pokemon that evolves by Happiness).

Unfortunately few Pokemon in HG/SS have Pickup, and with a Nuzlocke challenge you're very unlikely to encounter them. Even less likely to find a Pokemon with pickup in HG because Meowth isn't available at all. Aipom you'll have to wait until you get Headbutt and pray they pop out of trees in Route 33 or Azalea Town, and again pray it has Pickup instead of Technician.

No capture in Route 29 and 30 pretty much fucks you if you want a Sentret, which is an awesome HM slave when it evolves into Furret.

As I just recently discovered, getting 3 gift Pokemon from Primo in Violet City is pretty fucking nuts, especially since one of them is a Mareep. I might recommend limiting to one Pokemon only (or even none if you want to strictly interpret one Pokemon/Area and you want to use Togepi). This run I've already gotten all 3 Pokemon integrated into my team (and I'm too lazy to restart again), so no backing out now, but for future runs...

Goes without saying, buying Pokemon from the Goldenrod and Celadon Game Corners pretty much lets you defeat the purpose of a Nuzlocke challenge. Then again you could always limit yourself to how many you can buy (one total, one each, none at all). Keep in mind for Goldenrod, you also get an Eevee later in the game from Bill, so if you're strict about 1 Pokemon/Area, and you want to use Eevee, no Game Corner at all.

If you use the Pokewalker, you can pretty much break the game's difficulty curve if you get a few select Pokemon real early in the game (like Beldum, Munchlax, Kangaskhan, Dratini). But you could adapt it for usage in a Nuzlocke run if you want.

Setting battle type to SET definitely ups the difficulty, makes it harder to level some Pokes against some trainers too.

Enough of that nonsense. Lets get down to business.

Alpha's Pokemon career began like every other Pokemon trainer that began in New Bark Town, or Pallet Town, or what have you, so I'll skip the unimportant details. Alpha had an easy decision: Pick the starter Pokemon Cyndaquil (M) and name it BetaMax, say bye to Mom, and pray to god that she doesn't run into any Pokemon in Routes 29 and 30 before getting any Poke Balls. Unfortunately a wild Sentret in Route 29 and a wild Pidgey in Route 30 ensured it would be a while before getting another Pokemon for this trainer. The douchebag red head Gamma tried to stop Alpha with a stolen Totodile, but Cyndaquil's bad assery proved to be too much.

After receiving the first 5 Pokeballs from Ethan, Alpha proceeded to Route 46 and captured the first Pokemon in sight, a level 2 Rattata (F) that was named DeltaFlyer. DeltaFlyer had Guts, meaning she wouldn't suck so bad in stress-inducing fights. BetaMax and DeltaFlyer plowed through the bug trainers of Route 30 and 31.

Before plowing through Route 31, a quick trip to the Dark Cave was necessary. Our spelunking heroes happened upon a surprised Level 2 Zubat (F). She was quickly captured and named Epsilon 9. The team returned to Route 31, and told Bug Catcher Wade where to shove his Caterpies. Also in Route 31 was the newest member of the team, a level 4 Pidgey (F) named Zeta. Zeta had the fortune of having a Keen Eye ability.

A quick trip to Route 36 to pick up HM06 followed by a visit to Route 32 led our heroine Alpha to the ultimate anti-Falkner weapon: the Level 6 Mareep (F) named Eta Meson.

Alpha, BetaMax, DeltaFlyer, Epsilon 9, Zeta, and Eta Meson quickly bonded into a team. They enjoy long walks on the beach, delicious food, and kicking the tar out of Bellsprouts in the Sprout Tower. Although they bumped into a few Rattata along the way, no new friends made their acquaintance.

Finally the time came to challenge the bird brained gym leader Falkner and his two Bird Keeper lackeys Abe and Rod. Eta Meson scoffed at the ill-equipped minions, and with a couple bursts of electricity sent them crying to their mamas. Falkner was not amused, and opened his assault on Alpha and Eta Meson with a Pidgey. The Pidgey must have been retarded because it used Sand Attack instead of a useful attack. A thundershock was all it took to cook that goose.

Angered, Falkner sent his secret weapon: Pidgeotto. This bird charges at Eta Meson, hurting the pink sheep. However it counter-attacks with a strong ThunderShock. Pidgeotto charges again, striking home, but this time static electricity paralyzes the oversized rat with wings. Eta Meson unleashes another ThunderShock, scoring a critical hit, and turning Falkner's dreams into lunch meat.

Alpha leaves the Gym with Zephyr Badge in hand. Professor Elm calls says to pick up an egg in the Poke Mart. Alpha also uses this opportunity to verbally assail some lunatic TV guy in the Pokemon Center for three more eggs.

Night falls and a return trip to the Sprout Tower is in order. At night wild Gastly haunt the place, and as luck would have it one would attack our heroine. Unphased by the Level 5 Gastly (M), the team weakens the ghost, the Poke Ball finds its mark, and Thetality joins the ranks.

It's not long until the four eggs hatch, giving rise to the next four members of the team:

Togepi (M) named Iota. Delightful egg Pokemon, but it has a worthless Hustle ability. Being born with Extrasensory makes it a powerful force even at level 1.
Wooper (F) named KappaKappa. It's ability is quite Damp.
Another Mareep (M) which is named Lambda.
Finally a Slugma (F) named Mu Mu Milk.

Lambda and Eta Meson don't get along at all (Eta Meson is the Alpha Female), so Lambda goes into stasis for another day as a permanent backup. It's unlikely it will be needed anytime soon, if ever. Thetality isn't a good fit to the party either, and is relegated to backup status.

Route 32 is fairly uneventful, although Fisherman Henry's Poliwag is a pain due to Hypnosis. Now our Heroine Alpha rests in the Pokemon center, and her Pokemon are enjoying a good night's rest too.

Current Party

BetaMax: Level 11 Cyndaquil (M)
Epsilon 9: Level 11 Zubat (F)
Iota: Level 10 Togepi (M)
Zeta: Level 11 Pidgey (F)
DeltaFlyer: Level 11 Rattata (F)
KappaKappa: Level 8 Wooper (F)

In Stasis

Lambda: Level 1 Mareep (M)
Mu Mu Milk: Level 8 Slugma (F)
Thetality: Level 5 Gastly
Eta Meson: Level 13 Mareep

Deceased

None (yet)

*edit* honestly, I might just toss out this attempt on account of Primo's eggs (Togepi is much sexier than Slugma anyway).

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Just a note, technically you aren't allowed to get those eggs from Primo if and egg counts as a Pokemon. One Pokemon from each area, and you have to get the Togepi egg to continue through the storyline so technically you can't get the egg from Primo or the traded Onix. But thats just what i think, depends on whether you class a egg as a Pokemon...
Yup, depends how strict you want to interpret the rules. The way I see it, using Violet Town and Goldenrod as an example, you can interpret it several ways:

Gift Pokemon don't count:
Togepi + 3 Primo eggs + any wild Pokemon = 5 total Pokemon from Violet.
Eevee + all 3 Goldenrod Game Corner Pokemon = 4 total Pokemon from Goldenrod

I can speak from experience when I say this significantly eases the early game difficulty in HG/SS. Goes without saying though that unlimited Goldenrod Game Corner Pokemon is against the rules, at most I'd only allow 1 of each Pokemon, and even that's pushing it. That's assuming you treat the Game Corner as a gift giver and not as a store.

Gift Pokemon don't count (If a Gift Giver offers multiple Pokemon, you only get one):
Togepi + 1 Primo egg + any wild Pokemon = 3 total Pokemon from Violet
Eevee + 1 Goldenrod Game Corner Pokemon = 2 total Pokemon from Goldenrod

It's still a lot of Pokemon, that's for sure.

Only allowed one Gift pokemon per area:
Togepi OR 1 Primo egg + any wild Pokemon = 2 total Pokemon from Violet
Eevee OR 1 Goldenrod Game Corner Pokemon = 1 total from Goldenrod

Significantly less than before.

Only one Pokemon per Area. No exceptions:
Togepi OR 1 Primo egg OR any wild Pokemon = 1 total Pokemon from Violet

This is the most strict interpretation. In Violet's case, you either get the Togepi egg (you don't need to hatch it to continue the story), a Primo egg, or a wild Pokemon, and that's it. At least for early game, this is definitely the most challenging approach.

The way I see it, as long as you remain consistent in your interpretation throughout the challenge, that's the important part.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Eh I might do another HG Nuzlocke run soon. Still gotta finish Plat though.

On a side note though watch out for Cal in the Vieridian Trainer House. He almost damn near forced me to sac my pokemon.

Isn't Cal unnessecary to battle?

Oh, and HG seems to have slightly less variety than other games at first, not counting RBY and FRLG of course.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah you don't have too but I did and man was he hard.

Anyway im updating my Platinum, run. (look on the previous page to see my first update)

I entered the Galactic Headquarters on a rescue mission. As I battled a swarm of green haired Galactic members I questianed why Cyrus needed to even capture the Lake pokemon, what did he need them for?

I made quick progress and the members of my team grew a lot stronger, especially my Fire Storm. In no time I faced off against Cyrus in a battle to save the Lake Pokemon. Cyrus was defeated due to a combination of my FireStorm and my Bipolar penguin. however, after the battle Cyrus fled after giving me permission to free the lake pokemon before announcing that he would "put an end to it all". Sounds omminious I thought before tellingmyself that it was not my most pressing concern a the moment. I rushed to the room where the Pokemon were and saw a horriable sight. There, in the room were Uxie, Mespirit and Azelf. Both were clearly in pain and suffering greatly. Sorrow filled me but that was quickly replaced with anger. How could Cyrus do such a thing to these legerdary pokemon?

Saturn was no obsticale to me and the Lake pokemon were quickly freed. I then wasted no time in setting out for Mt Coronet. Again after defeating many Galactic members I finally reached the Spear Pillar. My path was blocked my the 2 remaining Galactic Commanders: Jupitar and Mars. I swallowed. Both trainers were skilled and I did not hold much hope for victory. Help came from an unexpected quarter however, as Barry showed up to help me tag batle them. Barry served mainly as a punching bag while my team crushed the Commanders pokemon with ease. I turned to face off against Cyrus when I saw that time had run out.

Cyrus was laughing as the ground began to runble and 2 orbs appeared which quickly materialised into Dialga and Palkia. "This is very bad" I stated to myself. With both Dialga and Palkia at his command Cyrus could create his new world. Nor could I stop him since Dialga and Palkia were far to strong for my team to beat. I was utterly at his mercy, Cyrus could do whatever he wished to me. Azelf, Uxie and Mespirit appeared but even they were unable to stop Dialga and Palkia. Suddenly the air began to ripple. Then a dark hole materialised before Cyrus and a creature of Darkness appeared. It gave a screan, the Air rippled and the "Pillars" twisted, rippling and changing shape. The shadow screaned and the gave a lunge at Cyrus, he was gone.

Even with the departure of both Palkia and Dialga and the Shadow Pokemon (which I learned was named Giratina) it was clear that something needed to be done. So I jumped into the dimention after Cyrus.

I entered a place that was unreal. No gravity, water in random areas, it was crazy. I managed to navigate it successfully however until Cyrus barred my way telling me that not even I could interfear with his plans.

Cyrus Lead with his Houndom which I stared with Fire Storm. Fire Storm took a heavy hit from a Dark Pulse but was able to blast Houndoom with a Focus Blast. Gyarados was destryed by Cyber. Engel took to the skies against Cyrus's Honchkrow weakenin it with a U-turn before Bipolar entered te field. My penguin survived a Drill Peak and a Heatwave before ending Honchkrow with an Ice Beam. To his credit, Cyrus remained confident. Weavile was his next choice. Bipolar weathered a Fake Out, and 2 Night Slashs before Flash Cannon was able to kill Weavile. Again Cyrus was unfazed as he called out his last, a Crobat. I realised that I may be in trouble. Bipolar was crippled after taking on both Honchkrow and Weavile and Fire Storm was already crippled by Houndoom from the start of the match. I called on my Engel. Engel showwed his strength in this battle. It was knocked out of the air but Crobats Air Slash before Engel poured on its speed flying high above Crobat before diving and slamming into Crobat. Cyrus shruggede as though it was little concern. Crobat would still beat Engel, Fire Storm, Bipolar and Gnaw and both Cyber and Tempist were frail. Engel took another Air Slash before slamming into Crobat and vanishing. Cyber stood in its place. Cyrus's face ttwisted in rage as he realise that I had got the better of him. Engel was never mean't to win the battle, it as mean't to weaken Crobat a little bit efore acting as a shield to get my Cyber into the battle safely. Crobat blasted my Cyberinto the ground with a blade of Air beore hitting it again before cyber could fire off an attack. This time however, Cyber was prepared and it blasted an electric blast around Crobat, knocking it out of the sky and ending the battle.

With Cyrus's defeat the only thing that remained was endig the chaos of this world. I was able to capture Giratina (which I named shadow) before flying to Veilstone to prepare for my last gym batte at Sunnyshore Gym.

Thats it guys, Here is my current team.

Engel (Staraptor)
LV 47
Mild
-Close Combat
-Fly
-U-Turn
-Aerial Ace

Cyber (Porygon Z)
Lv 47
Serious
-Psybeam
-Signal Beam
-Recover
-Discharge

Tempest (Gabite)
Lv 47
Adamant
-Earthquake
-Slash
-Dragon Rage
-Dragon Claw

Fire Storm (Magmorter)
Lv 47
Modest
-Fire Blast
-Flamethrower
-Focus Blast
-Thunderbolt

Bipolar (Empoleon)
Lv 46
Docile
-Surf
-Brine
-Flash Cannon
-Aqua Jet

Hope (Blissey)
Lv 45
Mild
-Fire Blast
-Toxic
-Softboiled
-Thunder

I regarded the eggs from primo as gift pokemon and allowed myself one of the eggs. I choose slugma because I didn't choose cyndaquil. Gift pokemon I'm not counting for as the one for the route. for the game corner one pokemon doesn't seem to make the challenge too easy. Especially when that pokemon is ekans. Pokemon on the map such as lapras and gyrados count for the route so that eliminates lapras for me. I don't know what I will do for the safari zone, it seems that most people are counting as one area.

Yup, depends how strict you want to interpret the rules. The way I see it, using Violet Town and Goldenrod as an example, you can interpret it several ways:

Gift Pokemon don't count:
Togepi + 3 Primo eggs + any wild Pokemon = 5 total Pokemon from Violet.
Eevee + all 3 Goldenrod Game Corner Pokemon = 4 total Pokemon from Goldenrod

I can speak from experience when I say this significantly eases the early game difficulty in HG/SS. Goes without saying though that unlimited Goldenrod Game Corner Pokemon is against the rules, at most I'd only allow 1 of each Pokemon, and even that's pushing it. That's assuming you treat the Game Corner as a gift giver and not as a store.

Gift Pokemon don't count (If a Gift Giver offers multiple Pokemon, you only get one):
Togepi + 1 Primo egg + any wild Pokemon = 3 total Pokemon from Violet
Eevee + 1 Goldenrod Game Corner Pokemon = 2 total Pokemon from Goldenrod

It's still a lot of Pokemon, that's for sure.

Only allowed one Gift pokemon per area:
Togepi OR 1 Primo egg + any wild Pokemon = 2 total Pokemon from Violet
Eevee OR 1 Goldenrod Game Corner Pokemon = 1 total from Goldenrod

Significantly less than before.

Only one Pokemon per Area. No exceptions:
Togepi OR 1 Primo egg OR any wild Pokemon = 1 total Pokemon from Violet

This is the most strict interpretation. In Violet's case, you either get the Togepi egg (you don't need to hatch it to continue the story), a Primo egg, or a wild Pokemon, and that's it. At least for early game, this is definitely the most challenging approach.

The way I see it, as long as you remain consistent in your interpretation throughout the challenge, that's the important part.
well, if someone wanted to, you have to obtain the egg to continue, nobody said you couldn't chuck it into the dead box, then don't catch any in sprout tower

EDIT: Almost forgot, emerald update

players note:i decided not to make it a fanfic until i finish a fanfic on another site.

name:Lan

*met May
*Saved Birtch from Zigzagoon
*Obtained Geico(Treeko) from Birch
*Ginded to lv 8
obtained pokeballx1 from mertient
Absorbed (ate, lol!) mays torchic
Obtained pokedex from birch
Obtained pokeballs x5 from may
Obtained running shoes from mom
rested at mom's
caught poochy(Poochyena♀) on route 101
caught pooch(poochyena♂ (i swear its cuz of poochy) on roue 102)
pooch almost died(2hp)
made the zigzagoon faint on route 103
grindid pooch and poochy to lv 5
Pooch died to youngster calvins critical hit poochyena. (I was literally gonna cry)
put pooch in dead box
R.I.P pooch

Pooch: lv 4-Pooch lv 5 R.I.P

team:
Poochy lv 5
Geico lv 8
Box:
none
Dead:
Pooch

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
well, if someone wanted to, you have to obtain the egg to continue, nobody said you couldn't chuck it into the dead box, then don't catch any in sprout tower
True enough regarding the Togepi egg. Get it, stick it in the bank, and *hand wave* it's existence. Or hatch and release if you want to take the time.

Pokedex entries say Sprout Tower and not Violet City when dealing with the Sprout Tower, so that makes it fair game to capture whatever you find there in my book.

Same goes for Burned Tower, Bell Tower, Slowpoke Well, Whirl Islands, Ice Path, Cliff Cave (the cave in Route 47), Cliff Edge Gate (that area between Route 47 and Cianwood City), Dragon's Den, Tohjo Falls, and the Cerulean Cave. They might technically share a map square with their host cities or routes, but the Pokedex treats them as separate areas.

Though technically the Cliff Edge Gate might as well not exist until you get HM08 at the end of the game. I could see the argument for making Cliff Cave part of Route 47, but again the Pokedex says Route 47 and Cliff Cave are separate, so I'm siding with what the Pokedex says.

Keep in mind there are wild Pokemon you can get in Violet City using Headbutt, Rock Smash, Surf, or Fishing.

Interesting enough, Team Rocket HQ in Mahogany Town is the only place in all of Mahogany Town you can capture "wild" Pokemon (Geodude, Voltorb, Electrode, and Koffing). You must fight the Electrodes to advance the story, which gives you a chance at capturing them. The other three are floor traps (and they all like to use SelfDestruct, grr)

Meh, all this pretty much depends on how hard you're being on yourself through out the challenge. When i re-do the challenge, i will probably get Togepi and a Primo egg, and just chuck the Togepi egg into the dead box, like Landog said. Or you could just scramble the egg, eat them and then no-one will ever know that you even had a Togepi.... unless Nuzlocke is spying on us *glances up*

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
I can't recall. Are there other Pokemon games besides HG/SS you can receive more than one gift Pokemon in the same area? At least that early in the game.

Started this on ruby yesterday, doing alright so far, but im probably going to fail at the first gym :(

So far I have
chosen torchic as my starter
caught seedot :(
seedot fainted to a level 2 wurmple
caught zigzagoon
Picked up rare candys, nuggets etc
trained both pokemon to level 13
accidentally killed shroomish, when i meant to catch it
reached the gym in rustuboro
probably going to fail here, my attacks are all weak against rock type pokemon :(

I might give this a try soon, probably on Diamond, or HG or SS when I get (one of) them. Looks pretty fun and very challenging.

Started this on ruby yesterday, doing alright so far, but im probably going to fail at the first gym :(

So far I have
chosen torchic as my starter
caught seedot :(
seedot fainted to a level 2 wurmple
caught zigzagoon
Picked up rare candys, nuggets etc
trained both pokemon to level 13
accidentally killed shroomish, when i meant to catch it
reached the gym in rustuboro
probably going to fail here, my attacks are all weak against rock type pokemon :(
I've pretty much failed this challenge already, going to start again later

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Nuzlocke update.

Part 1

Cleared Bugsy without any issue. However I was completely caught off guard by the douchebag rival Gamma. What ensued is one of the most epic Rival battles of all time.

Croconaw vs BetaMax (who has now evolved into Quilava). Plus BetaMax has a disadvantage that he was paralyzed by Gastly's Lick. With a TON of luck with SmokeScreen, a lucky burn from Ember, and rediculous potion usage (even using a Hyper Potion as I ran out at the very end), BetaMax proves it's the superior Pokemon.

I lucked out and caught a metric buttload of Pokemon on the way to Goldenrod (after returning to the various cities I passed once I got Headbutt), including an Abra in Route 34 (those things are a pain to catch! I chucked an Ultra Ball and prayed), who I nicknamed Upsilon.

The next gym leader is Whitney who I'm predicting will be a pain. So I decide to spend time leveling up my new Pokemon Sigma the Exeggcute. Also DeltaFlyer is an HM bitch now, knowing Rock Smash, Cut, and also Headbutt from the dude in Ilex.

To prepare for the upcoming epic fight with Whitney, I'm going to need some TMs from the Game Corner. I swear, Voltorbs hate me.

After a tediously long time, I finally earn enough coins to buy Thunderbolt for my Mareep Eta Meson (who promptly evolves into Flaaffy).

Shortly afterwards, I challenge the trainers in the National Park, and I stumble across School Kid Jack and his ...you guessed it, Voltorb.

I fucking hate Voltorbs.

The death of Eta Meson cripples my plan to take down Whitney, and I'm not happy about it.

Current Party
NuYorkCity - Level 10 Magikarp (M) - Eta Meson's new replacement for Whitney.
DeltaFlyer - Level 15 Rattata (F)
Epsilon 9 - Level 15 Zubat (F)
Iota - Level 16 Togetic (M) - Just evolved
BetaMax - Level 19 Quilava (M)
Sigma - Level 16 Exeggcute (M)

In Stasis
Lambda - Level 1 Mareep (M)
Mu Mu Milk - Level 8 Slugma (F)
Thetality - Level 5 Gastly (M)
KappaKappa - Level 13 Wooper (F)
Xilophone - Level 6 Slowpoke (F)
Omicrongng - Level 8 Spearow (F)
Pi Sees - Level 6 Aipom (F)
RhoYaBoat - Level 4 Hoothoot (M)
Upsilon - Level 10 Abra (F)
Tau Shi'ar - Level 4 Ledyba (M)
Zeta - Level 16 Pidgey (F)

Dead
Eta Meson - Level 16 Flaaffy (F)

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Fuck Koga. He came close to murdering almost everything on my team, but only managed to take out my Venusaur. Miss you already, Cladior. ;_;

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Wow, Whitney loves to cheat. Her Miltank flinched and Attracted my Sigma (Level 20 Exeggcute Male) for 5 turns or more. Kept me from Leech Seed, Stun Spore, Reflect, and basically making her life hell.

I finally got the edge on her when I switched to DeltaFlyer (Level 20 Raticate F), and somehow managed to out-speed her and get some flinches of my own with Headbutt, followed by a killing blow with Sucker Punch.

And here I was worried about Rollout, when I should have been worried about Stomp!

Party is the same except levels, NuYorkCity is level 15 while the rest are level 20-21. Ones in cryo are same levels as before. Still mourning the death of my Eta Meson.

PokeAthlon dome, here I come. And I guess I'll catch Sudowoodo and train it. I've never actually trained a Sudowoodo before.

Man this took a long time to edit!

Note: In this update, I'm trying a different style. It's a combination of both of my previous styles.

Today on my team:
Link the Treeko
Howling the Poochyena
Beelzafly the Beautifly
Sombrero the Lombre
Freya the Taillow

In Box:
Pikablu the Marill
Megaphone the Whismur

-Rusturf Tunnel-
We ran back to the Rusturf Tunnel.

Apparently the Aqua Grunt took a Pokemon Hostage. Also this event has disrupted the Whismur's Rave.

Did I get Pwn'd by the Aqua Grunt?

The Aqua Grunt sent out his Poochyene. I countered with Link my Treeko. Two Cuts from his wooden sword and the Poochyene fainted. The Aqua Grunt released the Goods and the hostage. He then legged it from the scene of the crime.

I got another Great Ball... yay? But this time I got a PokeNav! I am now officially a delivery boy!

I then ran back to Route 116 and finished of the Trainers

When we returned to Rustboro City, We had to face the wrath of May!!

I had to choose a team up for the challenge. I chose Freya and Pikablu as my anti-May task force.

May used a Lotad and her Torchic.

Freya - "That Lotad was a piece of cake. Sure, it did get me with two Nature Power Swifts, but a couple of pecks on the cheek and it fell!"

Pikablu - "YAY! GG! Torchic and I faced off. Its scratches hurt pretty bad, but my Water guns took it out quickly! So GG!"

We then went back to Route 104, where we met up with the Furry... I mean Sailor Mr. Briney and his darling Peeko!

With Luck, he gave us a ride to Dewford. We're on a boat! (There it is the obligatory "On a Boat" reference.)

-Meanwhile on the Boat-

"Are you ok, Amigo?" Sombrero noticed Link looked down.

"I'm not sure the Master likes me anymore. I'm still at my base stage and you and Beelzafly have evolved!"

"Don't think like that, Amigo! You and the Master share a bond! You are his starter pokemon and you will always be special to him!"

Link smiled. "Thanks Sombrero, you're right!"

-Dewford Town-

Once we got off the boat, I turned to my Party.

"Ok, Link is going to accompany through the caves by himself. We will catch a new member and find Steven!"

Link looked speechless. "Why me?!"

"Because I feel you could use a couple more levels! And I feel, you being my starter pokemon and all, that you should accompany me on such missions!"

"Thank you, Master!"

-Granite Cave-

I caught a Makuhita. A number of names came to mind: Wideload, Tubby etc, but I decided to name him "DynamoJoe".

Link, DynamoJoe and I continued through the cave. None of us had "Flash", so we ran into walls often -_-.

There was then a light at the end of the tunnel. We met Steven, the former champion. He gave us the TM for "Steel Wing".

-Rustboro City-

I then rushed back to Rustboro City and obtained the Exp Share!! Yes! To explain my excitement, I give you a Flashback!

-------------------
I was fishing in Dewford Town.

"You really don't have to catch a fish just for me!" Howling showed her gluttony

"Nah. I'm just want to add a new member to the team!" Then something tugged at the Fishing Rod.

"Wait... you don't mean!!" Howling realised my plan. "No, don't catch it!!"

Leviathan the Magicarp joined our Team.

"Why did you catch such a useless Pokemon?" inquired Howling. I turned to look at her.

"Simple. We get the Exp Share soon. And very soon, this Magicarp shall rule the Seas!!!"
-------------------

I immediately equipped Leviathan with the Exp Share.

-Dewford Gym-

Here are the Pokemon that I took into the Gym:
Link the Treeko
Freya the Taillow
Leviathan the Magicarp

I stormed through the Gym. I was surprised that it wasn't a water gym. I mean it's on an Island, dark as the bottom of the ocean and the Gym Leader liked to surf.

Then I met up with the Gym Leader:

Name: Brawly
Type: Fighting
Badge: Knuckle Badge
Signature Move: Bulk Up
Rating: *See below this Profile

Pokemon on his team:

Machop
Level 16
-Bulk Up
-Leer
-Karate Chop
-Seismic Toss

Meditite
Level 16
-Bulk Up
-Focus Punch
-Light Screen
-Reflect

Makuhita + Sitrus Berry
Level 19
-Bulk Up
-Vital Throw
-Arm Thrust
-Reversal

I legged it out of the Gym. I still have nightmares from the first time I fought him! I then did something I'm not proud of... I grinded for my life.

Yeah I remembered how tough he was and I didn't want to die to him again!

I mean how am I supposed to defeat a Super-Sayian? (Yes, I know it's an over-used joke...)

Link discovered the Master Sword! Link evolved into Adult Link!

Anyway, after grinding for what seemed like ages, we re-entered the Gym.

My Team:
Link the Grovyle
Freya the Taillow
Leviathan the Magicarp

I'm still not sure, even with the Grind-Fest, whether I'm going to be able to defeat the Brawly.

We then faced off.

He started the battle with his Machop. I sent out Adult Link! He started with Bulk Up, where as I started with a good hard Cut! The Machop then came in with a Karate Chop. A.Link survived this and countered with Absorb. Machop then came in with a Critical Hit Karate Chop. That hurt... A LOT!

A.Link was hurting, but finished off Machop with Cut.

Brawly sent out his Meditite. I kept in A.Link. It was mainly a battle of Absorbs and failed Focus Punches. Eventually A.Link beat the Meditite, although still looking worst for ware.

The Super-Sayian sent in his Powerhouse, the Deadly Makuhita. I knew A.Link wouldn't survive any attack. I switched in Freya. Makuhita used Bulk Up, and Freya used Wing Attack. Then the Sitrus Berry healed all of the damage. -_- Dammit.

Another Wing Attack. Makuhita used Arm Thrust. That Hurt. I decided to use a Quick Attack, to finish it quickly. Super Potion. -_- Dammit again. Another Wing Attack from Freya. The next Arm Thrust. Freya was badly battered, but managed to finish it off with a final Wing Attack.

YES!! We finally got the Knuckle Badge! Now we can finally leave this Island!

-Slateport City-

After sorting out the problem in the Museum, I decided to take a trip to the battle tent. I managed to finish it and win the Full Heal.

-Route 110-

After the Trick House, we met a familiar foe.

Yes, it's that time again!

Round 2 VS. May

My Team:
Pikablu the Marril
Beelzafly the Beautifly
Sombrero the Lombre
Megaphone the Whismur

My Opponent:

Name: May
Type: Miscellaneous
Badge: N/A
Signature Move: N/A
Rating: She's a Rival, so you should be able to defeat her.

Pokemon on her team:

Wingull
Level 18
-Wing Attack
-Supersonic
-Water Gun
-Growl

Lombre
Level 18
-Nature Power
-Growl
-Astonish
-Absorb

Combusken
Level 20
-Peck
-Ember
-Focus Energy
-Double Kick

May first sent out her Wingull. I countered with Megaphone. Wingull tried to use Supersonic, but failed (Thank Arceus for Soundproof!). It then was beaten down by Uproar.

She then sent out her Lombre. I countered with the Winged Demon known in Legend as Beelzafly. The Lombre was convinced that if it kept on spamming Astonish, it would take down Beelzafly.

Beelzafly swatted it away the attacks and gave it a couple of sharp gusts for the win!

May not wanting to lose, sent out her powerful Combusken. I sent out Pikablu, sensing victory. Oh what a fool I was. The Water Gun did quite a lot of Damage, but then... Disaster. Double Kick. Critical Hit. OHKO! My first lose.

Poor Pikablu. You were a good friend. I really needed you at this moment. The Fire Gym is going to be tough without you. So is the flying gym, but for now rest amigo. You did a good job, my friend.

Combusken had to pay. It would fall to the sound of righteous music! I sent out Megaphone. I got a Critical Hit off of Uproar. Combusken didn't stand a chance! But I paid for my actions. The first death in my run. R.I.P Pikablu, may your spirit continue to dance in joy and song.

-Mauville City-

I got the HM Rock Smash! ~Do-Da-Do~!

I then proceeded to beat the crap out of Wally. The less said about that, the better!

Now next on my hit-list is Wattson!

My Team (Note: Did some Levelling and some Catching!):
Link the Grovyle
Howling the Mightyena
Beelzafly the Beautifly
Sombrero the Lombre
Freya the Taillow
Leviathan the Gyarados

In Box:
Megaphone the Loudred
DynamoJoe the Makuhita
Squidgy the Gulpin
Raibolt the Electrike
Midnight the Illumise

Deceased:
R.I.P Pikablu the Marill

- Will we defeat Wattson and obtain the Dynamo Badge?
- Will we find a way to the next Gym?
- Will another member of our team fall?!

Find out the answer to most of these questions next time on Pokemon Emerald!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)