MLB 2013 Season Thread

red sox are tearing it UP and will continue to do so even more once ortiz gets back!

shame that even with both jeter and a-rod gone till the all-star break the new york geezers are somehow in 2nd...

Surprised at how bad Jackie Bradley was doing, tough break for him to get sent down. I really liked him for some reason.

I like discussion, let's discuss umpires! (because umpires, man)

I wish MLB actually enforced the strike zone that they write in rules, because umpires have a tendency to do some silly stuff.. Did you know that:

- the strike zone for can vary by up to 50% depending on the count? Always rooting for the underdog, those umpires

area_v_rv.png

- umpires expand the outside size of the strike zone for left handed batters, but not for right handed batters?

- corner's are not something to be dealt with, apparently.

sz07a.gif

^ kind of a dumb post imo. I'd love to see you try to flawlessly call every pitch a major league pitcher throws, given that you have less than a second to make a decision and many of them curve and twist in unbelievable ways and the context of the situation can psychologically affect what you might call. This inconsistency adds an element to baseball that isn't really present in any other game, and is what adds to the charm of the sport. I strongly hope nothing ever changes.

^ kind of a dumb post imo. I'd love to see you try to flawlessly call every pitch a major league pitcher throws, given that you have less than a second to make a decision and many of them curve and twist in unbelievable ways and the context of the situation can psychologically affect what you might call. This inconsistency adds an element to baseball that isn't really present in any other game, and is what adds to the charm of the sport. I strongly hope nothing ever changes.

it's not about flawlessly calling a game, it's about being consistent. I'm not sure sure why people would be for a game that is called inconsisently, and not to the book, but sure... whatever floats your boat. Are you not for enhanced instant replay?

it's not about flawlessly calling a game, it's about being consistent. I'm not sure sure why people would be for a game that is called inconsisently, and not to the book, but sure... whatever floats your boat. Are you not for enhanced instant replay?

Absolutely not. I would probably never watch baseball again.

That 13-0 loss for the sox still really stings, but how about their season so far. they are easily one of the favorites to rep the AL at this point. also, I dont see arod or jeter contributing in any way, so that isnt an issue for me. And jackie bradley is young. expect to see him back up sometime in the middle of this season, and probably putting up number by next year. remember, even bryce harper was once a minor leaguer

That 13-0 loss for the sox still really stings, but how about their season so far. they are easily one of the favorites to rep the AL at this point. also, I dont see arod or jeter contributing in any way, so that isnt an issue for me. And jackie bradley is young. expect to see him back up sometime in the middle of this season, and probably putting up number by next year. remember, even bryce harper was once a minor leaguer

Pretty tough for injured players to contribute.

I mean when they come back, i dont see them contributing in any way silly :P

You're right on A-Rod, but Jeter was still elite last season (.316 batting average, still excellent defense, 15 homers), and I don't really know why things would change in that department. People have been saying "Jeter is finished!" for years now and he always comes back as strong as ever.

This.

During the Nats slump (that they hopefully came out of with their great win over Cincy yesterday) their hitters would constantly find themselves down 0-2 because the umpires were giving opposing pitchers ridiculous calls. Jim Joyce's crew during the St. Louis series were particularly dreadful. It is so frustrating to see your team going against a pitcher who is having a great game like Wainwright was against us and the umpires ensure you won't be getting ANY offense going because they are not gonna let you take a pitch. LaRoche struck out all four at bats against Wainwright and you have to ask if it would have happened if he wasn't put into a bad situation where he felt like he had to swing at everything because there wouldn't be any balls called by the ump. His final strikeout came late in the game with the tying run on first with two outs. On a 3-2 count he took a ball that was at least four inches off the plate outside which should have loaded the bases and put the winning run on first for one of our few hot hitters but it was called a strike. There was no late break or frame job by the catcher to make you think, "oh, he could have missed it." just an ump who had called a huge zone for one team and a small zone for the other the entire game.

I hate it. If they can't get umpires to take their fucking pathetic overinflated egos out of the game and stop acting like they're bigger and more important than the players they need to turn to technology for balls and strikes calls. I see too much stupid shit like Angel Hernandez trying to make it about himself and calling an absolutely HUGE zone against Harper last year presumably on the archaic self-important basis of Harper not earning Hernandez's respect yet. Absolutely disgusting and the worst part of the game.

And of course if you talk about this you're just a whiner and you get dumb fans talking about how it is part of the game and tradition and blah blah blah. The only thing it is is fucking dumb.

You're right on A-Rod, but Jeter was still elite last season (.316 batting average, still excellent defense, 15 homers), and I don't really know why things would change in that department. People have been saying "Jeter is finished!" for years now and he always comes back as strong as ever.

Jeter is not and has never been excellent defensively, he makes flashy plays on balls that would be routine for any other shortstop because of his terrible range... http://www.fieldingbible.com/jeter.asp is an interesting read on the subject...

Regardless he is still a good offensive shortstop, although he should be declining some and likely wont be as good as he was last year

A fun fact that I'm sure Stallion will enjoy - the only batter who swings more frequently than Josh Hamilton is Delmon Young.

Grienke / Billingsley / Tolleson / Elbert / Crawford / Mark Ellis / now maybe HANLEY gone? Is this what being a Cubs fan feels like?

Back