List with the most used Pokemon in the new metagame, based in the RTM Subforums

Additionally, Dusknoir's incredible popularity really surprises me. I mean, he's a great wall and everything, but I didn't expect him to make the cut for so many teams, especially when generally no one really wants to exemplify Pursuit and Weavile weaknesses.

Dusknoir is quite a sturdy fellow. Pursuit is no threat if it just doesn't switch, during which time it can just burn the user (primarily T-Tar/Weavile) and Pain Split back to health there or later on. Its high defenses and lack of weaknesses make it a potential counter to a lot of pokemon (it even gets a priority move) and it has the versatility to basically just "fill in holes" for any half-finished team needing one or two more members. It's also a fantastic wall against Rapid Spinners.

And Blissey stops many set-up special attackers as well. CM Celebi is a worry to Blissey not in itself but because it can BP the boosts off to somebody more dangerous. Likewise, PZ is dangerous because it's one of the few strong enough that can punch through Blissey's SpDef (with Adaptability-STAB Normal). Azelf, despite its quick setup, is ruined by Blissey because it can switch in easily and either keep up defensively with Calm Mind or simply cripple Azelf with status.

To add to the physical argument, there's a very good reason most of the metagame's threats are physical. There are just more physical moves to utilize: EQ and Stone Edge are TMs, Close Combat or a similar attack (Sky Uppercut, HJK, Cross Chop) are learned by pretty much anything that could make use of them except poor ol' :@. By contrast, Earth Power and Aura Sphere are highly exclusive and there's no good special Rock attack at all (Power Gem is terrible and even more exclusive than EP/AS). Pursuit became physical and most of the pokemon that learn it are heavy physical hitters. The Sandstorm buff helps a purely physical type (Rock). That's before you even get into Blissey, the 700+ HP, 300+ SpD pokemon with a recovery move and an anti-status trait that is weak to absolutely nothing special but Aura Sphere, which we've already covered as very exclusive; there's no comparable pokemon with that kind of catch-all physical endurance not to mention recovery and status absorption.

And this is an interesting thread, indeed.

It should be mentioned that many (if not most) of the teams are for Wifi, explaining the relatively few Suicune, Zapdos, Raikou, Celebi, Manaphy and Jirachi users; because of the difficulty to get good IVs. Pokemon that require specific hidden power typings are similarly under represented.

Good job filtering through the RMT subforum, though I wish the original post was presented better!

I think it's interesting to note that so many pokemon with high base stats are going towards the bottom, even when wi-fi teams don't discriminate as much for bad movepools.

If you look at the list, below Blissey there is nothing that much higher than the poke below it. The jump from Blissey to Gyarados is huge (70), but from Gyarados to Dusknoir much smaller (30), and so on. Which says to me Blissey is the only one overcentralizing the metagame.

I think banning Blissey alone would bring a lot more variety to the sweepers people use.

Besides Starmie the top 10 are all physical, with Blissey sitting on top by a HUGE margin. If she were banned I bet a ton of special attackers would actually see some use- overcentralizing the metagame much?

Salamence is mostly Special now adays, it's called SpecsMence. Also, to both of you, Blissey is so overused because Special Threats liek Raikou and SpecsMence love to destroy teams without Blissey. If BLissey was banned, Cresselia would be the only blanket Special wall, and she can;t stop set-up sweepers.

Look the top 20:

Blissey 248
Gyarados 183
Dusknoir 152
Rhyperior 138
Salamence 137
Garchomp 135
Gliscor 134
Cresselia 132
Weavile 127
Infernape 121
Starmie 121
Swampert 121
Skarmory 120
Electivire 118
Tyranitar 103
Gengar 102
Heracross 101
Togekiss 100
Bronzorg 95
Metagross 92

Now, I'll deal them in 4 groups:

1st gen: Gyarados, Starmie, Gengar. Total: 3
2nd gen: Blissey, Skarmory, Tyranitar, Heracross. Total: 4
3rd gen: Salamence, Swampert, Metagross. Total: 3
4th gen: Dusknoir, Rhyperior, Garchomp, Gliscor, Cresselia, Weavile, Infernape, Electivire, Togekiss, Bronzong. Total: 10

You can see that the last gen has the half of the top 20. It means that people only look for novelties in new pokes, and they forget other gens.
For example, why Garchomp over Dragonite?, why Brozong over Forrestress?. They both are novelties.

Novelties? more like clear upgrades in response to the metagame.

Unless you've done little to no research and think that D/P is the same old hat game as Advance, there's quite a few surprises for yah.

1. D/P meta has pushed the limits on speed like never before, Choice Scarf and the advent of new faster pokes like Infernape and Garchomp (Both of which outspeed their predecessors Blaziken and Dragonite/Salamence) means that every single speed IV and +speed nature counts.

2. The game has become a lot more about setting up for a grand strategy/sweep than just throwing in SkarmBliss + 4 pokemon, Bronzong has the capabilities to Stealth Rock, Trick Room, set up pseudo-passing. All with only 1 2x weakness. (Bronzong has Gyro Ball too, threatening the ever increasing speeds of such favorites as Weavile and DDtar)

3. (just because i think it deserves its own point) Sandstorm. Garchomp doesn't take damage from it, Dragonite does. Garchomp gains 20% Evasion during it, Dragonite doesn't.

Those two facts combined make it clear that these decisions to include the faster pokemon of D/P and the new movesets that make up the D/P meta currently.

that being said, this list is very helpful in deciding what is extremely important to counter and what isn't such a top priority.

Dusknoir is quite a sturdy fellow. Pursuit is no threat if it just doesn't switch, during which time it can just burn the user (primarily T-Tar/Weavile) and Pain Split back to health there or later on. Its high defenses and lack of weaknesses make it a potential counter to a lot of pokemon (it even gets a priority move) and it has the versatility to basically just "fill in holes" for any half-finished team needing one or two more members. It's also a fantastic wall against Rapid Spinners.

I cannot stress how true this is.

I have 3 teams--2 of them include the highest IV dusknoir's i got.

Dusknoir with about 230/240 hp only takes about 60ish from pursuits, as most people have switched in weaviles, heracrosses, azelfs, and where i could apply fire/shadow punches for massive damage, all they had to answer was a pursuit that cost them their poke.

Im surprised at the low number of Jolteon. Its a great starter imo and can attk and support at the same time. And i thought Ttar was going to lead off the list..not that pink blob of crap...

thoughts from a newbie/longtime lurker:

1. I've loved Starmie since R/B/Y, and I love seeing it place as high as it does, even if its only because its the best rapid spinner. How good a starter would Specs Starmie be?

2. Swampert seems to be the bulky water of choice, unless you call Gyarados a bulky water. Sandstorm strikes again. Swampert seems almost as used as Milotic, Vaporeon, Suicune, and Slowbro combined.

3. Tyrannitar and Hippowdon seeming rare--is this because of the team creator not wanting to deal with sandstorm, at least not wanting to deal with starting one themselves? Lots of pokes are lessened by sandstorm, so these two limit your team options.

4. I've been using Dusknoir myself in casual battles, and he seems to be able to swich in on anything, special or physical. I've switched in on a Garchomp EQ, and survived a second then pain split, then finished Garchomp with an Ice Punch the 3rd round. Granted this was against the DS in the non-wifi Battle tower, and I doubt it was Choice Banded, but its still an accomplishment.

5. Timid Gengar gets a free switch on Close Combat/EQ, packs a fast Hypnosis, and can blast away with the best of them. With those weapons, weak defenses are forgivable.

6. It would be interesting to see what a world without Blissey would look like. My friend Tim refuses to play against my Rest Talk Snorlax, I can't imagine what he would think of the shiny new Blissey I just trained. Just looking at the stats on it hurts.

It would be nice if someone threw together an anti-Blissey tournament, just to see how things would go.

I have yet to lose to a team that carries Blissey, but its a pain, because you know you have to "save" one of your phsyical attackers the whole battle. Each battle I have won against a Blissey, the Blissey was the last Pokemon I ko'ed. Its annoying, because the battle becomes a game of ring around the rosie.

For example, I'll have my Heracross/Milotic/Magnezone left, and the opponent will have a Blissey/Salamence left. It becomes a game of cat and mouse. I'll get Heracross in vs. the Blissey, expect the switch to Salamence, get intimidated, do Stone Edge for about 40% damage/miss alltogether, and have to get Magnezone/Milotic back in. I bring them in, out goes Salamence, in goes Blissey. I'll win eventually, but its just annoying.

Oh, and I am still the only one who uses the games most under-rated Pokemon: Honchkrow

Wow... what is with the lack of Torterra? Seriously, Torterra is way better than all the Tangrowth we are seeing. Not to mention how ever so awesomely it works with Charizard.

^ Well duh, of course you switch out on a pokemon liable to have ice moves. Any way, I don't think you will find many Fire types that can switch in on Torterra without fearing the earth STAB and the only two there are (Moltres Charizard) are OHKOed by Stone Edge. So Tangrowth still has its Fire prob while Torterra gives Fire types problems of their own. Same with flying and bug weakness, Torterra can counter but Tangrowth can't. Besides that is LEafeon which gets NO use and it rocks as well.

Okay. Good, good. Half the pokemon I'm using no one else are using :-p

That means I'm either an expert who sees things that no one else sees... or that I'm a n00b who's missing something that everyone else sees. Lol. :-)

I feel that Azelf needs more use. It's going to be quite hard making a team with one, but I think I just did.

I'm not surprised at all by Dusknoir's over usage. He's amazing, and great at dealing out status conditions. I am surprised by how there are more Cresselia and Gliscor than Weavile and Tyrannitar...

I'm not surprised at all by Dusknoir's over usage. He's amazing, and great at dealing out status conditions. I am surprised by how there are more Cresselia and Gliscor than Weavile and Tyrannitar...
In Smogon, people STILL tend to be defensive, like in RSE/GSC. They miss the old days, I guess. And Gliscor and Creasselia are still owned by TTar/Weaile, as TTar takes away Leftovers from Cresselia and Crunches it, and Weavile has Dark/Ice STAB to take care of both. Anyhow, I love shutting up that big,fat and really, immensily stupid and anoying clown with Screech! Ahahahahahaha! Halved defense! Now time to Pursuit you! Metal Sound works too...

I <3 how much Rampardos was hyped, and how freaking uncommon it is seen according to this list.

Also note that this is based off of RMT users, which aren't generally the highest tier of battlers

Before D/P reached American shores. Everybody couldn't take their eyes off his huge base attack.
So true, so true. My non-expert friends at the time said that Rampardos was legendary (Uber, basically). Well, they said the starters were going to be Dark, Fighting, and Ghost... XD

In Smogon, people STILL tend to be defensive, like in RSE/GSC. They miss the old days, I guess. And Gliscor and Creasselia are still owned by TTar/Weaile, as TTar takes away Leftovers from Cresselia and Crunches it, and Weavile has Dark/Ice STAB to take care of both. Anyhow, I love shutting up that big,fat and really, immensily stupid and anoying clown with Screech! Ahahahahahaha! Halved defense! Now time to Pursuit you! Metal Sound works too...

Believe it or not, but a strong defense is still a very important part of the game. With Skarmory or Blissey, if you can block damage well enough to recover it and have a turn to spare before you need to recover again, you can effectively stall a lot of teams. Blissey actually has a really great offense as well, if you predict a switch and ice beam or seismic toss you can have them on the run despite your speed disadvantage.

Using them has really spared me a lot of pokes. The times where I lose mine the most are when they're outsped by something I didn't think would, or when they've got so much damage they're not even worth another switch in and I need a revenge killer.

Back