How do you kill this? Rhyperior Discussion.

Would Flygon counter it? Switch in on EQ or Stone Edge and 2HKO with EQ. The only thing he can hit you with is Megahorn and I'm not sure if its a 1HKO after a SD.

Would Flygon counter it? Switch in on EQ or Stone Edge and 2HKO with EQ. The only thing he can hit you with is Megahorn and I'm not sure if its a 1HKO after a SD.

Avalanche. Also, EQ does horribly on Solid Rock and I expect Earth Power to do the same. Megahorn is a 2HKO on Flygon, and I doubt Flygon could 2HKO Rhyperior.

Earthquake is a 4HKO from Max Atk, Adamant Flygon ion Max/Max+ Rhyperior. That leaves plenty of time for you to be Megahorn'd into oblivion. Land Power is an average 2HKO from Max SAtk, Modest Flygon to Max/Min Rhyperior; howver SDef EVs close this greatly. Giga Drain from the Same Flygon to the Same Rhyperior is always a 2HKO.

Is no one listening to my idea of Surf Rampardos?

Rampardos's sp. attk isnt that great.

Also wouldn't weezing do well against it?

With pain split, WoW and the ability to haze.

Plus with resistances to EQ and Megahorn along with amazing defenses shouldn't weezing wall a rhyperior well? Weezing might have a tough time doing damage but wouldn't damage by burn along with flamethrowers wearing him down eventually kill a rhyperior?

Also wouldn't weezing do well against it?

With pain split, WoW and the ability to haze.

Plus with resistances to EQ and Megahorn along with amazing defenses shouldn't weezing wall a rhyperior well? Weezing might have a tough time doing damage but wouldn't damage by burn along with flamethrowers wearing him down eventually kill a rhyperior?

Yea he can last a long time if you WoW and use Weezing

Well, has anyone though of Sp.Defensive Rhyperior? For sandstorm teams, it reduces damage from SE hits and gets 313 Sdef if fully EV'd non nature boosted. I've done some calculations and results were pretty scary:

In sandstorm:

HP/SDEF MAX Rhyperior (No nature boost) - Guaranteed KO with Surf:

Stab: 493 STAK
No Stab: 743 STAK (399 for guaranteed 2hko [54% min damage])

HP/SDEF MAX Rhyperior (nature boost - Careful) - Guaranteed KO with Surf:

Stab: 540 STAK
No-Stab: 814 STAK (435 for guaranteed 2hko [54% min damage])

HP/SDEF MAX Rhyperior (No nature boost) - Guaranteed KO with Hydro Pump:

STAB: 393 STAK
No STAB: 585 STAK (327 for 2hko)

HP/SDEF MAX Rhyperior (nature boost) - Guaranteed KO with Hydro Pump:
STAB: 428 STAK
No STAB: 642 STAK (359 for 2hko)

And this is for 4x weakness moves. I mean, he's aleady amonster with 296 (325) defense and solid rock, so for sandstorm teams the 252 HP/ 4 Atk/ 252 Sdef EV build could be more useful, specially for swords dancing Rhyperior.

Well, has anyone though of Sp.Defensive Rhyperior? For sandstorm teams, it reduces damage from SE hits and gets 313 Sdef if fully EV'd non nature boosted.

I was looking at running somewhat of a special tank~ish version of Rhyperior myself on a sandstream team. Something like the following:

Rhyperior@Choice Band
Sassy
Solid Rock
132 HP/ 126 Defense / 252 Special Defense
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Megahorn
-Hammer Arm

He has enough HP EV's to run 404 HP, and gets over 340 Special Defense and over 320 Defense + Solid Rock. Choice Banding him still gives him 474 Attack, and two amazing STAB moves. Going to work out the EV calcs a little (probably could adjust HP a little since he isn't needing 101 subs) but I think it looks interesting.

You do realize...
Solid rock only mitigates the STAB damage portion *aka it takes away a STAB's bonus of 1.5x by multiplying by .667* of a 2x or 4x attack move.

therefore, unless Ramps has the same the same Sp. Attack as a Vaporeon/Starmie/Milotic using the same surf, then you're just as good off by using the Vaporeon/Starmie/Milotic, and you don't waste *yes waste* a moveslot on Rampardos who should be doing Kamikaze Physical move slow sweeps.

If articuno were to switch in on an EQ, would a hydro pump be enough to OHKO?

Okay....

1. Articuno can't learn Hydro Pump

2. Blizzard it can learn though. I did some calcs and found out that Blizzard from Arcticuno does in fact OHKO a no sp def EV max hp neutral nature rhyperior all of the time, any time. Most of the time the rhyperior will have Impish nature and not enough sp def EV's for it to live a Blizzard.

Has anyone suggested Grass Rope Bronzong? I mean its only 3hko'ed by Megahorn and it has grass rope as well as hypnosis. It is a 4hko, but it can do a decent amount of damage to it without dying, so its a start.

that is all for now.

2. Blizzard it can learn though. I did some calcs and found out that Blizzard from Arcticuno does in fact OHKO a no sp def EV max hp neutral nature rhyperior all of the time, any time. Most of the time the rhyperior will have Impish nature and not enough sp def EV's for it to live a Blizzard.

Even with the Sandstorm boost?

Another option is always Hitmontop, with Technician + Triple Kick.

A different approach is to try and Counter it, or Protect + Counter.. using Protect will help you know if it's a CBer and Counter should kill it since most things take over 50% from it's crap, I recommend Swampert for attempting to Counter it. Protect really.. isn't necessary.. >_>

Okay....

1. Articuno can't learn Hydro Pump

Has anyone suggested Grass Rope Bronzong? I mean its only 3hko'ed by Megahorn and it has grass rope as well as hypnosis. It is a 4hko, but it can do a decent amount of damage to it without dying, so its a start.

that is all for now.

Did you factor in the following?:

-Hard Rock canceling out STAB
-The fact that Rock is NOT weak to Ice so Blizzard only has 2x SE
-The fact that Rhyperior has 55 spdef as opposed to Rhydon's 45 spdef

Ice attacks in a sandstorm against rhyperior are only .8888888 times their normal effectiveness if unSTABed. I doubt blizzard would do more damage than surf from something of similar satk.

-Hard Rock canceling out STAB
-The fact that Rock is NOT weak to Ice so Blizzard only has 2x SE
-The fact that Rhyperior has 55 spdef as opposed to Rhydon's 45 spdef

Accordin' to my calcs, No SpA Cuno (226 SpA) does 62-73% damage to Rhyperior with Blizzard, too bad...

You do realize...
Solid rock only mitigates the STAB damage portion *aka it takes away a STAB's bonus of 1.5x by multiplying by .667* of a 2x or 4x attack move.

therefore, unless Ramps has the same the same Sp. Attack as a Vaporeon/Starmie/Milotic using the same surf, then you're just as good off by using the Vaporeon/Starmie/Milotic, and you don't waste *yes waste* a moveslot on Rampardos who should be doing Kamikaze Physical move slow sweeps.

Except not really. No Solid Rock is in the way for Rampardos. It's a novelty killer at best, but it sounds funny anyway.

Couldn't any bulky pokemon with Counter basically beat Rhyperior?

Swampert could take him 1 on 1 with ease, most use a choice band so yeah - if you know it's a CBer, Swampert will beat it.
Requires a sacrifice but let's face it, there's no pokemon that can switch in on Rhyperior, take the hit on the switch, then OHKO next turn, asides from OHKO moves, and ubers.
Palkia would sweep his smelly ass down. >_o

I got a way to kill this guy and all you need is a rocket big enough to carry his giant rock ass to the moon.

On a serious note I don't see any "true" counter for this guy but I do see little counters that can wear him down over time.

I read to about page 4 of this thread, sorry I am at work

While CB Rhyperior has the brawn to damage nearly everything, discussion here assumes it's going to predict right every single time, which simply isn't true. When you look at a situation from a "I secretly wish all strategy worked like Skarm/Bliss" it seems sorta bleak, but still... if you're good at reading your opponent, it isn't too bad to think "oh, he's probably going to use Earthquake. I'll switch in Salamence and be on the offensive advantage!" If you get outpredicted, tough, he deserved to destroy your shit.

Granted, stuff like Breloom will never work well because it takes hardcore damage from everything Rhyperior packs but junk like Salamence/Gyarados/Flygon/Bronzong/Metagross/Cresselia/Suicune/Swampert/Gengar/Tangrowth can take it on. This isn't Advance where you see Salamence and say "well, ok, no matter what that has i can just send in suicune w/ ice beam"

Has anyone thought about Pinsir?

I mean, it has Mold Breaker, thus eliminating Solid Rock. 100 Defense isnt Shabby, meaning it should only be 2HKOd by Rhyperior, especially as, IIRC, it resists EQ and SE and MH.

It can then EQ/Close Combat/Superpower it. It SHOULD (I think), be able to atleast dent it alot, if not be a 1/2HKO

Back