SPOILERS! General Pokémon Anime Discussion

I don't know how to feel about Quaxly and specially Fuecoco evolving so soon. While I'm glad they catch up to Liko, I don't enjoy the middle stages as much -except Floragato who I like the most in its line- At the very least it seems like my boy Fuecoco is going to evolve in a very thematically appropiate battle.
I wonder if after this arc they will go to Area Zero or we will get more unique content.

1721118327749.png

Skitty cameo on a cup!!!! ig you could call it a mugshot...

So in other news, another new milestone for our crew in Horizons:

Dot's Quaxly has evolved into a Quaxwell! The second of the Paldea starters to evolve after Liko's Sprigatito. Now it's Roy's turn...poor Fuecoco ends up being the last of the three but hey, better late than never.

And as another thing:

Roy's Fuecoco is now being distributed as an event. If you're up for it, pick it up.

And as a whole...

GRFPAy8bEAA0SAg

These upcoming episodes will focus on Liko, Roy, and Dot taking their Implementation Tests in their Terastal Training course. Today's episode was Dot vs. Larry, and the next battles will be Roy vs. Ryme and Liko vs. Grusha. These are all 2v2 since the three kids have two Pokemon each.

Kofu and Tulip got the shaft lol.

I posted about this in the Mysteries thread, but I paid translator Aaron Riley ( www.thelanguagequest.com ) to translate this portion of Pokemon Story, a book from 2000 that goes over the early life of the franchise

Pikachu (ピカチュウ), Pages 330 - 338
The video game team gives OLM the freedom to do what they think is best as long as they don’t shatter the world created by Game Freak. Important details like Satoshi’s starter, his traveling companions, and the Time Bokan-like trio of villains are finalized.

I imagine some of this is stuff that's been known in the community for a while, but I thought it was still a good read with stuff I didn't know about.

It's 9 pages so I've just uploaded the PDF to file.io for the time being https://file.io/hTHa9FPrXRRc

e: Actually file.io is kind of terrible for this unless you pay premium lol. So google drive download link it is https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uofuSlQG1PeQlwi_Ge3RRcEDfAu8ZrKY/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
There's a lot of interesting stuff there, and also some other stuff we learned about like how Shudo actually created Lugia because he wanted another legendary bird in the second movie more powerful than Zapdos/Moltres/Articuno, and Gamefreak gave him permission to come up with the concept of Lugia when they were still designing Gold/Silver.

They're probably lucky that Brock/Misty were "young" enough to be companions when they chose companions for Ash. Like could you imagine Lt. Surge or Sabrina traveling with Ash? Nah, they wouldn't fit. Misty and Brock just happened to be the youngest Gym leaders of the region and the first two on top of that, so they were included. And yeah we already knew Clefairy was originally going to be the mascot over Pikachu for some time but changed it.

Tbh I really wish we did have more "behind the scenes" stuff especially for the early days of the anime, so we can get a better understanding of why the writing staff made some of the decisions they did over the course of the show. There's so much stuff fans have speculated on that we might be right about, and some things we were (like the staff telling us to just forget about the GS ball...lol), but some stuff we never really learned why.

It's also weird to think about how the entire concept of the anime would have been different if they stuck closer to the games. Like we didn't get Silph Co. adapted in the anime, they left out the whole Lavendar Town story of Cubone's mother Marowak being killed or being a ghost, Celadon's underground game corner was never in the anime, so much of Red/Blue's plot was avoided or ignored when the first season was written...it's almost like the anime writers took the bare minimum from the games and ignored everything else. The first season especially is probably the most divorced from the games than any later season, Shudo clearly just did whatever he wanted.

Rachael Lillis, the original voice actor for Misty & Jessie among many other human and Pokemon characters (including Jigglypuff, Chansey, and several of Misty's and May's Pokemon), as well of numerous VA roles throughout the dubbing industry, has passed way this last Saturday from breast cancer at age 46. She will be missed, and all the prayers to her family & friends.
80075905_1715948612160525_r.jpg

Variety Report: https://variety.com/2024/tv/obituar...-lillis-dead-pokemon-misty-jessie-1236104010/
GoFundMe Campaign: https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-my-sister-rachael-with-medical-needs
Kotaku Report (with Twitter posts from fellow VAs): https://kotaku.com/pokemon-misty-jessie-jigglypuff-voice-rachael-lillis-1851619597

Last edited:
Veronica Taylor tweeted about it too. Really sad, I was hoping no updates meant good news but saw this earlier today. She was only 46 years old, it's a travesty to die that young. Cancer is horrible, it makes me mad we still have not found a cure for it in the modern world.

Her voice as Misty and Jessie was iconic and legendary, not to mention Pokemon such as Jigglypuff which is still used clips of in Smash Bros. to this day. She really did bring those characters to life for english dub fans and those voices are what I still think of when thinking about the characters even over the Japanese voices. Remember Maddie who voiced Meowth also passed away back in 2008, so now Jessie and Meowth are in heaven together. :(

It's getting scary how few of the original 4kids cast are still alive. Remember Gary's VA (who also voices James/Meowth in the current dub after 4kids) also had a cancer scare recently as well.

It's surreal to think that back in 1998 when she first started voicing the characters, she was only 19 or barely turning 20 since she was 46 this year. I had no idea Rachael Lilis was so young when she first started voicing the characters, especially the range of her voice making Jessie sound so different than her Misty. I mean she was barely leaving her teens voicing characters in the anime while most other teens at the time were still posting on message boards/forums like this one and others back then.

So Fuecoco...didn't evolve in the rematch either? I have mixed feelings abour this. On one hand I like Crocalor the least of the line and I feel like it would lose part of its current charm so the less time it appears, the better. On the other, we know it's happening and would look kind of odd compared to the other two evolved starters, yet thematically this was the perfect moment for it (excluding something with Charizard I suppose?). It's just kind of weird yet amusing since I doubt they will give it a moment as big as Floragato against Rayquaza.

There are some leaks about what the next arc may be about.

Supposedly is called Rayquaza Rising, it gets the focus back on the Six Heroes, and Carmine, Briar and Perrin appear. Starting October 11st.
There is already a lot to say from that alone, but I wanted to check if there is any reason at all to believe them-previous arcs have been leaked I think, but usually with more...substance I guess?

There are some leaks about what the next arc may be about.

Supposedly is called Rayquaza Rising, it gets the focus back on the Six Heroes, and Carmine, Briar and Perrin appear. Starting October 11st.
There is already a lot to say from that alone, but I wanted to check if there is any reason at all to believe them-previous arcs have been leaked I think, but usually with more...substance I guess?
3E3rIRR.jpeg

I have mixed feelings on it tbh. Like on one hand, going back to original content is great and just what I wanted. On the other...it feels like it's still too soon for another Rayquaza battle. Like sure they just finished their training arc, but is it really going to make that much of a difference? I hope they deal with Kleavor and Entei first at the very least.

I just don't want them to rush things. The protagonists still only have 2 Pokemon each (then again since that's actually the norm in the Brave Olivine, maybe it's intended?). I'm enjoying Horizons way too much for it to end too abruptly. Specially since unlike most of Ash's series, there is clear growth in the characters.

Or maybe I'm just focusing too much on Rakua/Rayquaza as their final objectives and they may get new ones sook enough. Who knows. Anyways, if Carmine is still travelling with Briar that could be interesting to see if the series is truly a sequel to SV. Her reaction to Terapagos could be amusing.

Well if nothing else I am guessing the Rayquaza battle would be at the end of the arc so that's like, what. 20+ episodes? That's not an insignificant amount of build up.

I doubt it'd be ending after that anyway, they'll likely want to trot out that shiny zygarde again so there's a vague tie in to Z-A, so new goals are eternal.

There's still the Legends Zygarde game coming out they'll cover, as well as all the other Scarlet/Violet stuff they haven't covered yet. Like the DLC characters/arcs, and they've also completely skipped over Arven, his parents/the professors, and the whole Titans and Team Star storyline. Like there's enough there for another year of episodes.

The funniest thing about this series is since Ash/TR are gone, they can't just do the same filler formula all the past series has, they have to keep splitting up each segment of the show into smaller arcs. So they're going to have to keep coming up with more story content, because it's not like Ash's series.

Back