CAP 4 CAP 4 - Part 3 (Secondary Typing Poll 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Poison/Ground
SR, Sandstorm and toxic immunity would be cool as and works realy well in the OU environment.

2. Poison/Flying
Flying is just a cool STAB to hurt the other CAPs with and can force Phazing that will help with SR and Spikes.

I did a quick tally, if anyone's interested.

Electric . 30
Dragon . 24
Steel ..... 20

NST ...... 12
Ground . 12
Dark ..... 12

Psychic . 5
Flying ... 4
Rock ..... 4
Water ... 2
Bug ....... 2

Types with no votes:

Normal
Fire
Grass
Ice
Fighting
Ghost

Electric, an interesting type defensively, and offers good attack (being able to threaten Gyarados is never bad). Doubles the ground weakness, but that never hurts Heatran, and psychic is only used for STAB really, so its easy to predict. Thunderwave, Magnet Rise, Lightscreen/Reflect, Gravity, and Trick Room all fit with the electric/poison flavor, especially with that computer virus idea, which I love.

Dark, doesn't have the resistances that electric has, but only one weakness and an immunity. A really natural flavor too. This is mostly because I still want this guy to work as a great rapid spinner, and to do so it would need to be able to immediately threaten most ghosts.

Steel is my first vote because it has good resists and not too many weaknesses. The major annoyance is that ground weakness, but maybe this can be rectified by giving it Magnet Rise or something, which would be awesome. (Similarly, Poison/Electric would be excellent with Magnet Rise, just it wouldn't have important things like Ice resistance)

Dragon is my second vote since the resistances would be cool and Toxic Spikes absorption is useful with those resists, but it isn't going to be the greatest Pokemon ever with weaknesses to the two most commonly used moves in the game; Ice Beam and Earthquake.

Dark, because dark is a cool type, and dark pokemon usually have utility moves, while most other types wouldn't have gravity and the like (psychic utility moves)

Psychic, basically the exact same reason as above.

Steel provides great resistances, as well as providing for an interesting design.

Dragon pulls a close second, for slightly more random resistances.

I notice a lot of people are suggesting poison/ground, but I think the positives of poison/ground are all found on poison/fighting with added bonuses. Poison/fighting keeps the fighting/bug/rock/poison and adds dark and grass resistances. But without the water and ice weaknesses, making it a better wall for fighting types in general and generally less vulnerable. It adds a flying weakness, and I know all 3 cap projects have a flying weakness, but the fact is, flying is just not a common attacking type. It also compounds the psychic weakness, but if I had to pick a type to be 4x weak to, psychic is probably the one I would pick. Nobody has psychic unless they get stab so it's hardly an unpredictable attack. Just something to think about if you are allured by the tempting resistances of poison/ground.

Poison/Dragon
I like the greater risk and reward of more resistances coupled with more weaknesses. It may seem dumb, but it works with Celebi.

Poison/Psychic
For a pokemon that has a 4x fighting resistance without being a duplicate.

I notice a lot of people are suggesting poison/ground, but I think the positives of poison/ground are all found on poison/fighting with added bonuses. Poison/fighting keeps the fighting/bug/rock/poison and adds dark and grass resistances. But without the water and ice weaknesses, making it a better wall for fighting types in general and generally less vulnerable. It adds a flying weakness, and I know all 3 cap projects have a flying weakness, but the fact is, flying is just not a common attacking type. It also compounds the psychic weakness, but if I had to pick a type to be 4x weak to, psychic is probably the one I would pick. Nobody has psychic unless they get stab so it's hardly an unpredictable attack. Just something to think about if you are allured by the tempting resistances of poison/ground.
Not that I support a second typing, but Flying is actually more well-used a type now thanks to the last three CAPs and Revenankh raised Psychic usage more, as well.
Ground also makes more sense flavour-wise as a Utility Pokemon, gives some sense to Gravity and lends Sandstorm immunity.

I presume the few who wanted Ground are choosing it over Fighting for these reasons.

1 - Bug - Removes Ground Weakness, and doubles fighting resistance, two of the most common threats. Isn't flying so that TS are still removed. Grass could also go here, which would be useful for things like leech seed, aromatheraphy, but i guess a bug type could still have access to those moves

2 - No Type - Poison has a nice set of Resists already, lets keep it that way. It shouldn't affect the moveset that much!

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
My first vote would be No Second Type.

My second vote would be Electric. It's simply the typing that adds no weaknesses, and adds a nice number of resists as well. As to how the hell can an Electric/Poison Pokemon ever exist... I'm banking on other people to submit their own ideas!

Electric - agreeing, it's a great utility type, and a not too scary, but not too game breaking STAB. and it'd definitely spawn creativity!!

i'm reserving my second vote for later. i'll edit into here if i remember. i'm going back and forth between rock and ground, which are both ideas that have potential. i particularly like the idea of ss immunity and possible sdef boost, but i'm not crazy about steel poison (and if electric poison is hard concept wise, what is steel poison going to be? a drug addict's needle?)

so. we'll see.

Edit: Dragon - i've been convinced. neutrality it is.

My first vote will be Dragon. A defensive Dragon has always interested me, especially do to all the resistances the type provides. However, it wouldn't be to broken due to the weaknesses it does have.

I'll choose my next vote later. Will I have to edit my post or just quote this and say my second suggestion?

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'd just like people to not base their votes on possible "existing" issues, alright.

Who cares if you have problems envisioning an Electric / Poison Pokemon...we can make something up.

We are a creative community, we have it in us to come up with something acceptable for any type combination, lol.

That said, I don't really like Poison / Electric at all due to what I am fearing as a limiting effect.

Remember, in the submission accepted for the concept, Wish, Encore, Gravity, Trick Room, Tailwind and the like were emphasized, while the common utility moves like Toxic Spikes, Thunder Wave and the Screens were accepted but preferred as non priorities. With Poison AND Electric, I am afraid we will take our limited move slots and fill them with non exciting utility moves.

Poison / Dragon offers a much more useful set of resistances first of all, but also the Dragon typing and its "mystic" aura allows for us to emphasize a much more varied set of utility moves than Electric would offer us.

That said, Sunday please note in my original post that I have changed my vote. Dragon is now first, and Steel is now second. Thank you.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Electric/Poison only turns a x2 weakness into a x4 one. If you're already weak to Ground, you already need to be careful of Ground moves, be them x2, x4 or x20 weaknesses.

Also Aldaron, why can't an Electric/Poison Pokemon learn Wish, Gravity, Trick Room and/or Tailwind?

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Fighting - everything ground has but better. Also toxicroak would be a good poke if it had better stats and you could use that as a guideline.

Dark

If you are looking at an ability I suggest making one that increases the length of trick room/gravity (heat rock but ability form)

Poison/Dragon is my first vote, just because I want to see an OU utility dragon, and i'ts just a great typing with good resistances and few common weaknesses to keep it from being broken.

My second vote would be Poison/Ground. Like it was previously mentioned, toxic, thunder wave and sandstorm immunity and a SR resist are great for a utility pokemon to have.

i can definitely see poison/electric learning gravity and trick room, and if it's cute, definitely wish too. pikachu learns wish, so do the eeveeons, etc. tailwind is a stretch, but not totally unreasonable...

poison/electric would just be fun. dragon would be ok too. i'm thinking of that being my second vote...

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
It absolutely can; what I'm saying is that as Sunday pointed out in the first topic, we have a limited number of moves that we can give this thing, so much so that he might actually have to create a few polls to narrow this choice down.

Since the Poison typing pretty much guarantees Toxic Spikes (I know it doesn't absolutely guarantee it, but comon lol), at least one if not all of Acid Armor, Gastro Acid, and Poison Powder, and the community as far as I can tell is dead set on giving this thing Rapid Spin, I am afraid the Electric typing will force us to give it Thunder Wave, Charge Beam, Reflect and Light Screen, which, when combined with the Poison type stuff, really takes away a good chunk of the open move slots.

I want to give this thing everything ;_;

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Why would you want to give gravity to an electric/poison? So you can let this thing get killed to the most common/powerful move during gravity.

No Type--Poison seems like a fairly viable mono-type to make into a tank

Electric--This gives one extra weakness and a host of resistences, but would mess up the flavor imo.

1. Electric- I agree with X-Act. Electric adds no weaknesses, while giving an extra 3 resistances. Also, in response to yoshididdy, gravity won't hurt this in any way, since a grounded pokemon with a ground weakness just keeps the same weakness after gravity. It's not really shooting itself in the foot by using it.

2. Steel- The mercury idea is definitely appealing to me. Plus, the poison/steel combo has a GREAT set of resists.

No additional typing for reasons already stated by others.

Dark yields only one (Ground) weakness although no really useful resistances, which I think is important - we don't want this thing to be invincible and if it's to have stellar defence stats it still needs to be killable and not some superpowered with a decent HP stat Shuckle (aka unkillable)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)