Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 23 (READ THE OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I started looking at competitive battling on Smogon, I noticed that there were BL Pokemon. I'm wondering if anyone could tell me the main reason(s) why these Pokemon are BL...
Abomasnow
Crobat
Gallade
Honchkrow
Staraptor
Yanmega

If anyone could explain why all or even one of the above is BL and not UU or OU, I'd greatly appreciate it.

This may be the case for Chansey because it gets Natural Cure in FR/LG. How about Clefable who doesn't get Magic Guard in 3rd Gen? If you say abilities don't change, how's a Clefable with Seismic Toss and Magic Guard even possible in D/P/Pt? Please make your sentence clearer, as I don't get which pokemon you're pointing out or if you're pointing out both [which is pretty impossible].
I believe the deal is that if the Pokemon is capable of only one ability in gen. 3, but two in gen. 4, it will keep its gen. 3 ability upon transfer to gen. 4. However, if it's not fully evolved, there is a 50% chance of its ability switching upon the generation 3 Pokemon evolving in a generation 4 game. The chance is determined solely on the Pokemon's personality value, so it's actually fixed (not random).

'course, I could be wrong.

why is my powerband not working. im ev training my mudkip and it has a powrband on it so it should get 4 extra evs in defense when it levels up but it doesent. what do i do
The power items give 4 extra EVs after a battle with a Pokemon that gives EVs. It does nothing during level-ups.

By "Pokemon that give EVs," I mean wild Pokemon or AI trainer Pokemon that are worth experience. So this excludes another player's Pokemon, Pokemon in the Battle Frontier, and Pokemon in the Trainer House.

Is there an EVing guide somewhere? I am new to EVing
I like these ones:

EVs for a stat will max out at 255, and you can have a max of 510 EVs on a single Pokemon. It is worth noting, however, that the effect of EVs uses division by four and rounds down, so only every fourth EV actually does anything; EV usefulness actually maxes out at 252.

Vitamins (HP Up, Protein, Iron, Calcium, Zinc, and Carbos) increase a Pokemon's EVs by 10 in its category (HP, Atk, Def, SAt, SDf, and Spd, respectively), up to a maximum of 100 in each category. They are useful for a quick jump-start on your pokemon's EV training, but then you have to take it the rest of the way yourself.

The anti-vitamin berries (Pomeg, Kelpsy, Qualot, Hondew, Grepa, and Tamato, respectively) drop the Pokemon's EVs in that category by 10. If the Pokemon had over 100 EVs in that category, it will drop it TO 100 (so if it had 252 EVs in speed, one Tamato and it's down to 100 EVs in speed).

There are other ways to adjust EV acquisition:

• The Macho Brace doubles EVs earned from in-game battles
  • The Power items add 4 EVs to their stat after in-game battles
  • A Pokemon with the Pokerus (or an immunity to it) receives double EVs. This multiplication occurs after the enemy's EVs and the Pokemon's held item are considered, so the max EVs a Pokemon can receive in a single stat after battle are 14 (3 EVs from a Pokemon + 4 EVs from the Power item = 7 EVs. Then multiply that by two = 14 EVs.)
All Pokemon that receive experience from the battle get EVs. This includes a Pokemon that led the party and switched out immediately before doing anything, and Pokemon that never joined the battle but were holding an Exp Share. Unlike experience, which is divided among Pokemon, all Pokemon that get EVs from a battle get the FULL number of EVs (if an enemy is worth 3 EVs, all Pokemon that get experience from it get those 3 EVs).

If you see a Pokemon that has undesirable EVs while training, run. Running from battle gives no EVs at all.

The effect of EVs will not appear until your Pokemon levels up. If your Pokemon is already level 100, look into this "Box Trick" people keep whispering about.

Hope that helps.

Before I started looking at competitive battling on Smogon, I noticed that there were BL Pokemon. I'm wondering if anyone could tell me the main reason(s) why these Pokemon are BL...
Abomasnow
Crobat
Gallade
Honchkrow
Staraptor
Yanmega

If anyone could explain why all or even one of the above is BL and not UU or OU, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Generally, BL is the banlist for UU as Ubers is the banlist for OU. So a BL Pokémon is overpowered in UU but not used quite enough for OU, although it can only be used in OU or Ubers. I don't think it's too smart, I think that BL should be merged with OU, but that's just my opinion. More specifically to answer your questions though...

Abomasnow is superior to Snover in every aspect and those are the only two Pokémon with Snow Warning. What makes Abomasnow BL is Snow Warning and stats higher than those of Snover.

Crobat is extremely fast but unlike Electrode, it can dent a team efficiently. It has very handy and unique weaknesses and a decent movepool, particularly in the form of STAB Brave Bird, Super Fang (and maybe STAB Cross Poison too).
Gallade, I never understood too much. I'm not denying it would be powerful in UU, I just never got to see it in action and therefore am not too sure about it.

Honchkrow is generally viewed as a better Absol. I don't agree, but my opinion isn't considered in the tiering process, or the metagame itself.

Staraptor is the most brutal Normal/Flying bird Pokémon, with a useful ability, high Speed and Attack, and a movepool that is walled by not very much.

Yanmega is just too strong for UU, with Speed Boost or preferably Tinted Lens, it makes a great Choice item user, and can also posess physical or special attacks efficiently

I hope this helped clarify some things

What are the odds of thawing out after being frozen?
It's around 10%, although there are some research threads due to controversy over the actual percentage. Using Flare Blitz, Sacred Fire, or Flame Wheel, (all physical Fire attacks outside of Fire Punch and Fang, and Blaze Kick,) will thaw your Pokémon immediately, or if it is hit with any Fire type move.

64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe is the spread for as a Choice Band Gyarados... could the similar 64 HP/252 Special Attack/192 Speed be used on a modest Choice Specs Milotic?

Also, does my Timid Milotic want a scarf, a specs, or a life orb? I'm using a 31/31/31/30/31/31 Timid one in OU with 252 SPA and 252SPE...

If I wanted to make a defensive Armaldo and wanted to invest in it's Sp. Defense, under Sandstorm conditions, how many EVs I should use if the Armaldo is Impish natured? Enough that Surf isn't a 2HKO I suppose.

depend on the pokemon using surf, but given armaldo defenses you are better off maxing out hp and putting most of the leftover evs in special defense, try to reach a speed mark that dont require a bunch of evs if you can, armaldo can survive 2 milotic surfs has long its not a offensive variant and has long there is sandstorm.

Where are the RNG resources? Link Please?

It's not possible to find out your Secret ID unless you have a legit caught, shiny, right? Also, to find out your secret ID in D/P, one option is to get 5-7 chained shinies, but why 5-7? Isn't one enough?

Where are the RNG resources? Link Please?

It's not possible to find out your Secret ID unless you have a legit caught, shiny, right? Also, to find out your secret ID in D/P, one option is to get 5-7 chained shinies, but why 5-7? Isn't one enough?
Start here.

You could also use a game-altering device, but I'm afraid I can't say much more than that.

Beyond that, what you mentioned seems about right, though I don't know much about it, sorry to say. Perhaps someone else can elaborate on this question?

What happens if I take a pokemon I have with Hidden Power Grass and breed it with a Clone of itself?
I'm gonna vote that there's next to no way of telling. We got three of the offspring's stats that will be identical to its "parent," and the other three are just completely random, so I'd reckon that its a fairly good chance that the hidden power will NOT be the same.

I got a question: if I have a Ditto use Transform, will it temporarily duplicate the IVs and (if applicable) EVs of the opponent, or will Ditto use its own?

What happens if I take a pokemon I have with Hidden Power Grass and breed it with a Clone of itself?
How are you going to get a Pokemon to breed with another Pokemon when they have the same gender? I think there's about a 1 in 48 chance that the Pokemon will have the same SpAtk, SpDef, and Speed as the parents so breeding two Pokemon that have HP Grass together has a decent chance of producing a baby that also has HP Grass.

@ Ford: Trasform makes the user copy all of the opponent's stats besides HP. I don't think it even bothers with Base Stats, EVs, and IVs (at least not since Gen 2 with the shiny Ditto glitch) and just copies the actual stats of the opponent.

@ Ford: Trasform makes the user copy all of the opponent's stats besides HP. I don't think it even bothers with Base Stats, EVs, and IVs (at least not since Gen 2 with the shiny Ditto glitch) and just copies the actual stats of the opponent.
I smell an interesting way to test for RNG seeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)