Your love pours down on me, surrounds me like a waterfall (#43 on ladder for now).

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hello Smogon community! This is the one of about 87 different versions of the Shuckleking! So I know most of you do not know me (and that’s ok- even I don’t know anyone who would truly want to be the king of the shuckles anyway), but I’ve been an Nu battler since more than a day ago. I’ve made some half decent teams- and some half assed teams, yet with some of the players online, I can get some wins with any team I put out there. And that’s why NU is a great tier- you can put some pretty bad ass, bad, or ass pokemon on a team, and still be somewhat competitive with a goal in mind. However, the recent ladder has some pretty high standards, and I usually don’t have the patience or the luck or enough motivation to push my way up there. Until now. Just kidding, I still don’t have any of those attributes. I just had a half decent team and decided not to troll for a change.

So I received the idea of a rain team actually when I was at a parade. I heard the great song by Calvin Harris ( I would be listening to it now if my speakers on my laptop weren’t broken..) and was so moved by the phrase “surrounds me like a waterfall” that I flinched. And then he sang it again. And I flinched. I was wondering why I was flinching so much during this song, and it came to me- Floatzel. And there became the shining star on the team. That is, until it was raining on my parade.

So I had Floatzel, and it was raining, so a rain team made sense to me (it usually doesn’t because I’m a troll, so when I think illogically, which is logical for the rest of us, I knew I had to go with it). So I had to build a team around Floatzel. And then I thought of Beartic. Haha, just trolling you guys. Beartic Sucks. So now I had my alt, BearticSucks. And, from this, I will place together my team.

The “I feel so close to you right now” poke

Gorebyss @ White Herb
Trait: Swift Swim
Evs 4D/252SA/252Speed Timid (+Speed- Attack)
Shell Smash
Ice Beam
Surf
Substitute

I mean, who wouldn’t want to be so close to this poke, it’s a pretty sexy sea monster to. And deadly. This poke can be the most dangerous to those that aren’t ready. The metagame has adapted pretty well to this poke though, and was a very difficult poke to use. If you come in on a status, this set is not nearly as effective. If you overcompensate its ice beam power against supereffective pokes, you’re also screwed. This is the perfect foe to set up on common walls such as alomomola and lickilicky. Substitute is used mainly to block stats either directly or indirectly from a move. With shell smash, especially in the rain, it’s basically over until the rain dissipates. Surf is a very reliable move that will deal a significant amount of damage, without worrying about a miss. Ice beam hits every else for the most part pretty hard. Now Alomomola and lickilicky can take hits, but lickilicky can go down easier with surfs, and alomomola really cannot do anything, especially if rain is not boosting up her waterfall. I run timid nature to ensure I will outspeed choice scarfed sawk, and I believe the added speed is more important than the little extra power, especially in rain. Gorebyss also has great team synergy with Ludicolo, as people often look over Gorebyss’ base 105 defense, and Ludicolo’s base 100 special defense.

It’s a force field

Sawk @Choice Scarf
Trait: Mold Breaker
Ev’s 252A/4 SD/252 Speed Jolly Nature (+Speed –SpA)
Close Combat
Earthquake
Ice Punch
Toxic

This pokemon is truly a force field. Even though it’s not adamant choice band sawk, my favorite and most manliness version, this poke definitely fit right in. You may wonder, “why have a poke on a rain team that doesn’t benefit from rain?” Or you may not wonder that. I don’t know, and if I did, that would be kinda awesome. But Sawk’s main purpose is to take on as many walls as possible so that way my three main sweepers (Floatzel, Ludicolo and Gorebyss) can win me the battle. I believe the term for this poke is a “wallbreaker.” Even with Choice Scarf, it can still break through walls, even though it is annoying I cannot nab KO’s with CC on common Stealth rock leads. First three moves are very common for sawk, as they all have great coverage. Toxic is a move that comes in handy, and if I am having difficulty taking down a poke, a nice and fast toxic has been so beneficial. The unreliability of stone edge is not really needed, Hydro pump does that for me already! Sawk, surprisingly, is often my “fodder” poke and is sometimes the most expendable poke on this team, but it definitely is not my weak link. Also, it is my fastest poke on my team, and I felt that I needed the speed when rain was not up.

I wear my heart upon my sleeve, like a big deal

Rotom-S-->shreads that heart because it’s a fan @ Damp Rock
Trait: Wonder Guard-no wait, levitate
Ev’s 248HP/8D/252SpA Quiet (+SpA-speed) 0Speed IV’s
Air Slash
Volt Switch
Rain Dance
Thunder

Ah, Rotom. Just look at it. It’s smiling at you. Now consider that there are three big blades on it’s head. If only one could use those in battle, it would be unstoppable. Of course, there appears to be limited space to place a brain in this poke, let alone a heart, but that’s besides the point. When most think of Rotom, they think Choiced Scarfed. Well, they shouldn’t if it’s on a rain team. But people do anyway. I can almost everygame get 2 rain dances up if needed, and I believe it has never died before using rain dance. This is a bulkier version that utilizes a semi-slow voltswitch to get into swift swimmers. Air Slash may seem a little pointless then, and writing this, I can see that, but the stab move is nice, and especially because this is my major poke to check grass types. I know, scary thought. Especially with rocks up, I won’t be taking very many moves. I’m screwed already. Hidden power water might work, but I only run that on Rotom-F (different team), but that might work in theory. A faster spread may also be better, though the bulk is nice, especially because I am checking grass types. This is definitely my most expendable poke, and suggested pokes that could take on grass types would be nice. (Don’t suggest Beartic. It sucks.)

Your love pours down on me, surrounds me like a waterfall

Floatzel @Choice Band
Trait: Water Veil (JK, Swift Swim)
EV’s 48HP/252A/208Speed Adament(+A-SpA)
Waterfall
Ice Punch
Crunch
Switcheroo

Waterfall in rain vs. Standard CM musharna--> 51-61%, 92% chance to 2HKO, 2HKO with rocks (Crunch 98% 2HKO with rocks)

Waterfall in rain vs. Standard Alomomola 22-26% and worst percentage against any NU poke. Too bad. Switcheroo hurts though.

It’s an absolute monster in rain, a monster even beartic would be afraid of. Just imagine essentially a 240 base power move with a chance to flinch if the poke happens to stay alive. It’s a great thought isn’t it? Well, it’s actually a reality. Basculin is another poke that could fill this role, as adaptability and choice band would make this poke even stronger, or have the same power and speed with choice scarf. The difference here, however, is Floatzel’s higher initial speed and access to switcheroo for those pesky pokes trying to set up. Floatzel is also a great lead against stealth rockers, as they would have to often sacrifice their poke for rocks, and may be flinched so no rocks are on the field. I could go life orb, but that isn’t strong enough, plus I cannot imagine your love pouring down on me with a life orb and a waterfall. That would be like hail or rocks falling down a waterfall. Ice punch and crunch to hit foes that threaten Floatzel, though under the rain, waterfall is almost always the best move. EV spread may be a little weird, but not really. With rain, there is no poke in NU barring choice scarf timid ninjask, choice scarfed swift swimmers with higher than 50 base speed, ludvisc and ditto. This spread beats out base 95 pokes such as haunter and sawsbuck without rain and can kill them with the appropriate move. Rest of investment in its decent 85 base hp, which has definitely come in handy.

And there’s no stopping us right now

Seismitoad @Damp Rock
Ev’s: 32HP/252SpA/224Speed Modest (+SpA-A)
Stealth Rocks
Rain Dance
Hydro Pump
Sludge Wave

There really is no stopping seismitoad right now. It’s a 5 foot 137 lb poke that has blistering speed in rain, so it has the bulk and the power. I wanted to find stealth rocks somewhere without losing momentum, and Armaldo just isn’t good enough for this spot. Plus, I absolutely needed an electric immunity poke (if only Seaking had stealth rocks…). Though rocks aren’t really that important, as this team has so much sheer power, however, if its really beneficial, I will get them up. Essentially if I can win the game short term, use rain dance early on, and it’s gonna be a more difficult battle, rocks. This is also a great lead as it outspeeds many common SR pokes and demolishes then with hydro pump. Especially under rain. Sludge wave is there to nab at predicted grass pokes that think they can come on in for free (those grass pokes neutral to sludge wave=biggest threats to this team). Earth Power may be helpful in that circumstance, but sludge wave is extremely helpful for cacturne- a huge threat to this team. Speed investment is to outspeed modest ludicolo and get them for the quick kill when it’s around half health.

The guy dancing to music

Ludicolo@ Life Orb
Ev’s 252SpA/4SpD/252SpeedModest (+SpA-A) 29IV’s HP (Also, all nonphysical attackers have 0 IV in Attack
Giga Drain
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Rain Dance

There’s only six lines to the song, and two of them repeat. The music is pretty catchy, so of course Ludicolo is dancing to the beat. Ludicolo is easily a top 3 or 4 poke in the tier in my opinion (along with sawk) and certainly one of the best performers on this team. Though I thought I would abuse him more often, I have relied on Floatzel probably the most. But this is a very typical Ludicolo, nothing special here. Hydro Pump over Surf just because more power is nice, and a poke can usually come in and finish the job if ludi dies because of a miss. Also modest for extra power, though timid might be a nice option. The speed with rain dance is suitable for me, as it outspeeds most pokes, and can take one or 2 choice scarfed volt switches.

So there you have it. A typical Rain team, with a little of my Fiji waterfall water for extra taste. With this team, I am currently 30-3, ACRE Rating of 1869, Glicko2 rating of 1987± 77, and am 43 on the ladder. It’s a pain getting on the ladder because there are some very good NU players and extremely impressive ratings (Watashi can just leave please), so getting up in the top half ain’t that bad. I’m not done though, I want to hear some suggestions to see how high I can get this team- maybe in the top 20, so when you open the ladder, you see that Beartic Sucks, and will teach those that Beartic isn’t that good.

Beartic has swift swim, which is nice, but base 50 speed really holds it back. It has great attack, but because of its low speed, will still be outspeed by common scarfers and fast pokes. It also has a nasty stealth rock weakness, and a rain team really cannot afford time to spin. It also only has stab aqua jet, which won’t be doing much. Beartic has to decide if it wants Choice band, which will force switches, which isn’t good for a stealth rock weak poke, life orb, which will greatly hinder its long term effectiveness, choice scarf, which no, or other moves that will not provide it enough power. No STAB in the rain also stinks. Just like Beartic. There’s my teaching lesson.

Some pokes off the top of my head that defeat this team:

Cacturne- water absorb in general is terrible, but with a great stab, swords dance, encore, sub, or seed bomb, it’s hard to predict. There aren’t many pokes to take that strong of an attack from cacturne. Usually depend on seismetoad with a surprise kill.

Cradily- Just sits there, takes ice beams fairly well, toxics and recovers all day. Usually rely on sawk to 2HKO with close combat

Vileplume- Just so bulky and a very underrated poke. With rain dance, moonlight is not that effective, but giga drain is, especially with 4 water types on the team. Usually rely on rotom-s to get a couple air slashes and generally chip away at its hp by any poke. Very troublesome

Exeggutor- was mini swept by a salac berry sub exeggutor with giga drain and psychic. So annoying. Won’t face many of those, but it’s a bulky grass type to not underestimate, especially if it comes in on a sawk close combat

Rotom-S choice scarfed. Can wreck through team with t bolt if seismetoad and ludi are dead, or air slash if rotom and seismetoad and ludi are dead. Rely on keeping at least seismetoad and/or ludicolo alive until rotom is dead, or waterfall in rain with floatzel.

Spikes? Never encountered them yet. Thank goodness. Do not have a reliable poke to take out garbodor unless waterfall flinch from floatzel or hydro pump from ludicolo- but you have to watch out for speedy garbodor with ludicolo.

Toxic Spikes would be scary too.

Para hurts, but really isn’t that bad when only 1 or even 2 out of 4 swift swimmers gets it. Floatzel can still outspeed stuff while paralyzed.

Musharna can set up, though I only encountered it maybe 3 times. Haven’t had much difficulty, as rain really hinders its effectiveness, and special rain moves and floatzel hurt it enough to force a 1 poke for 1 poke kill.
I can imagine trace choice scarf gardevoir really causing problems, but ludicolo can handle it very well.

As I typed this, I considered a specially defensive rain dance Skuntank with toxic/pursuit/crunch/sucker punch/poison jab/explosion could mesh well with this team. So keep the suggestions coming! There’s no stopping us right now! Thanks Guys

BearticSucks

Shuckleking87

maybe it's just my personal opinion, but i don't really see the need for gorebyss; it's quite annoying to have to necessitate yourself to have both rain dance and a shell smash set up. you don't absolutely need a shell smash user, so you might as well be using a different rain sweeper, such as mantine, that would help your team more against trouble pokemon. mantine is threatened less by certain grass-types like the vileplume you mentioned, and it provides a secondary fighting-type resistance that would give a buffer against the likes of sawk or gurdurr (though you obviously cannot expect to directly switch in).

another thing to note is your spread on seismitoad; it's made for a timid nature because seismitoad would otherwise be outpaced and OHKO'd by timid ludicolo, which is still almost everywhere right now.

mantine @ life orb | swift swim
modest nature | 252 spa / 252 spe / 4 def
rain dance / hydro pump / air slash / hidden power electric

Shuckleking87

I definitely learned how to use gorebyss the more times I played, and it has been coming in the clutch during my most recent battles. It's initial physical bulk is what entices me. Mantine is a great option that I did not even consider, but having 2 Stealth rock weak pokes is not that enticing. I also enjoy having at least 1 set up poke or substitute poke on my team. But gorebyss doesn't need both rain and shell smash simultaneously, it can easily function with 1 or the other. But I see your point. The special bulk is very nice, but Ludicolo has sufficient bulk as well. If I can find room for a sub/set-up poke, that would be awesome.
Looking at usage statistics, I am not sure how you came to the conclusion that timid ludicolo is everywhere, as there is a 50%-4% discrepancy for the top 6 stat distribution last month. That being said, I will make the switch to timid. Thanks!

Shuckleking87

So I kept same team and now I am #17, which is in the top part of the ladder screen, so I'm happy. Thanks Ium though!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)