Undying Turbulence

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Introduction

Hey Smogon, it's ebeast back again with another RMT. The basis of this team is Bulky Offense with Pelipper and Metang as a defensive core to support the team. The idea of using Pelipper came from the knowledge of how effective Mantine was with its defensive RestTalk set and how well its Water/Flying typing would do in the current metagame. I am not a big fan of using RestTalk on non-Stall teams and I was not daring enough to push the limits of my teambuilding abilities by attempting to make a stall team with Scolipede and Jynx in the tier. I saw that Pelipper shared typings with Mantine, but had access to Roost, which sold me over to using it. I was teambuilding with my friend AgentDell, and we got started by making a Pelipper + Piloswine core, which works very well, but I didn't like the way I had to support the team by using Electric-type to beat Flying-type Pokemon or doubling up on some weaknesses. I decided that Pelipper + Metang was solid enough and went from there. CB Golurk + Metang is a combination that I enjoy using and I felt fit really well on this team by providing a separate Flying-type counter and Volt Switch absorber rather than putting all that stress on a single Golem. From there I just added Kanga to gain some valuable priority and Eggy to beat Kanga's counters while making quick work out of Alomomola. Zebstrika fits in there as a secondary Volt Switch absorber and a really cool revenge killer in the metagame with the right speed tier and moves to destroy a lot of new common Pokemon.

This is probably the team I feel most comfortable using at the moment and I really like the way it works. I'm surprised that the first team I made for the new metagame I managed to do so without using any of the drops.​

Team Strategy

The thing I really like about Bulky Offense is that it can be both defensive and offensive at the same time. While this team doesn't really have a specific win condition, it gets its wins by using Pokemon that synergize well with each other. For example Exeggutor is a great partner for Kangaskhan thanks to its ability to easily beat Alomomola and Tangela, who make quick work of Kanga. Golurk and Eggy can beat down Regirock so that Kangaskhan can freely spam Double-Edge against everything. Eggy also helps Golurk in by removing Alomomola for Golurk to spam Choice Band Earthquakes much easier. Pelipper and Eggy together remove Ground-type Pokemon for Zeb to freely Volt Switch or Tbolt against anything and Metang and Golurk prevent the team from being destroyed by Jynx and Musharna. Pelipper is really important to the team as it not only takes on the dangerous Scarf Zard but also Ludicolo, Samurott, Golurk, and Scolipede. Kangaskhan tears through teams apart once Alomomola is gone and its Fake Out helps take down fast, but frail threats such as Haunter and Jynx.​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pelipper
/

@ Leftovers

~EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 176 SpD / 24 Spe
~Nature: Calm (+SpD -Atk) ~Ability: Rain Dish
323 HP / 251 Def / 206 SpA / 242 SpD / 172 Spe

- Scald / Roost / Toxic / Hurricane

Pelipper is a really cool Pokemon to use in the metagame thanks to its awesome Water/Flying typing and access to Roost. Its typing lets it take on Scolipede, which only really uses Megahorn and Aqua Tail in this metagame, Samurott, Ludicolo, Charizard, Golurk, Gurdurr, Piloswine, and even the rare, but dangerous Combusken. Scald and Roost make Pelipper extremely annoying to deal with as it can land Burns on anything that switches in and begin stalling with Roost. Toxic lets me nail Alomomola and Tangela even if Exeggutor goes down, while also allowing me to cripple Ludicolo and Samurott before I spam Hurricane. As long as Samurott lacks Taunt or Hidden Power Electric, the former being used less due to Jynx making sets carry Megahorn and the latter not being as common as HP Grass, Pelipper can easily beat Samurott by Toxic + Roost stalling or hitting it for decent damage with Hurricane. With Hurricane Pelipper can also put the hurt on any Grass-type Pokemon that think they can safely switch into a Scald such as Exeggutor or Vileplume. Jynx also does not enjoy taking a Hurricane, especially after Stealth Rock.

EVs: 248 HP and 176 SpD Evs with Calm Nature allow Pelipper to take on Ludicolo and Special Samurott. 24 Spe Evs are to speed creep Base 60 Pokemon such as Alomomola and Tangela and those that attempt to outspeed them like Golurk and Exeggutor. The 60 Def Evs let Pelipper take on some physical hits better such as Samurott's Waterfalls or Primeape/Sawk's Close Combats.​

Metang
/

@ Eviolite

~EVs: 248 HP / 176 Atk / 56 SpD / 28 Spe
~Nature: Adamant (+Atk -SpA) ~Ability: Clear Body
323 HP / 253 Atk / 236 (354) Def / 210 (315) SpD / 143 Spe

- Stealth Rock / Meteor Mash / Toxic / Bullet Punch

I've been using tons of Metang recently because it's really damn good right now. It's extremely underrated looking at it's only #68 in the usage stats, but it really pulls its weight in a metagame full of Jynx, Kangaskhan, and the like. Metang still makes an excellent counter to Musharna, Zangoose, and Haunter, who haven't been used as much in the current metagame, but remain extremely dangerous. Stealth Rock is as always an important tool to have on every team to wear down annoying Pokemon like Charizard, Scolipede, and Jynx, and score some extra KOes. Meteor Mash is a great STAB attack and hits a lot of offensive Pokemon for solid damage, while hitting annoying Pokemon like Regice super effectively. Toxic lets Metang beat Musharna and status Tangela and Alomomola in case Eggy goes down too early. I never really found much use in the last slot before Jynx dropped, and I just had random attacks like Rock Slide which I never used. However with Jynx in the tier, Bullet Punch becomes an extremely good filler move to hit the Lady and take her down after Stealth Rock.

EVs:This is Annoyer's EV spread. 176 Atk with Adamant hits a jump point while 28 Spe allow me to speed creep other base 45 Pokemon like Piloswine and Regirock. 248 HP and 56 SpD give Metang great bulk and the ability to avoid a 2HKO from LO Gardevoir's Focus Blast even after Stealth Rock.​

Golurk
/

@ Choice Band

~EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
~Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA) ~Ability: Iron Fist
337 HP / 381 (571) Atk / 196 Def / 196 SpD / 192 Spe

- Earthquake / Shadow Punch / Drain Punch / Ice Punch

Choice Band Golurk is extremely powerful. A free switch into this beast is basically an easy KO teams not using Alomomola or Tangela. Golurk finds many opportunities to switch in thanks to its Ground/Ghost typing, which allow it to check Electric-type Pokemon such as Rotom-S and Zebstrika as well as Fighting-type like Sawk, Gurdurr, and Primeape. Golurk is also an amazing switch into Regirock and a good check to Golem, especially ones that have Explosion over Sucker Punch. Tearing big holes in opponent's teams is excellent as it allows my other Pokemon to break through easier. Earthquake, Shadow Punch, and Ice Punch hit everything in the tier for at least neutral damage and Drain Punch is a nice luxury to give Golurk some extra recovery if needed. Drain Punch has been a lifesaver in some situations, like in a battle I had vs Zebraiken where Drain Punch recovery allowed Golurk to clutch the match by giving me enough HP to survive Kanga's Fake Out + Double-Edge and take down both Kanga and Regirock. To put in perspective how strong CB Earthquake is, it 2HKOes Seperior, 2HKOes Max/Max Alomomola after Stealth and a bit of prior damage, and clean OHKOes Scolipede.

EVs: 184 Spe Evs allow Golurk to outspeed max Speed Golem, standard Garbodor, and other Pokemon that attempt to outspeed max Speed Golem. 72 HP doesn't help specifically against anything as far as I know, but it can probably come in handy.​

Kangaskhan

@ Silk Scarf

~EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
~Nature: Jolly (+Spe -SpA) ~Ability: Scrappy
351 HP / 289 Atk / 197 Def / 196 SpD / 306 Spe

- Fake Out / Double-Edge / Earthquake / Sucker Punch

Kangaskhan is a Pokemon full of utility, from its priority in both Fake Out and Sucker Punch to its awesome 105/80/80 bulk, Kanga puts in a lot of work vs many teams. Scrappy is the icing on the cake as I can just spam Double-Edge without a care if a hostile Missy comes in or not. Fake Out is really awesome when I desperately need extra damage on dangerous Pokemon such as Jynx, Haunter, Charizard, you name it. Fake Out can also be used to put things in Double-Edge range like Golurk, half health Missy, Samurott, or Skuntank (More like EQ range for Skunk). Kanga also is deceptively strong, everytime I use it its damage output really impresses me as I don't expect much from neutral nature Base 95 Attack being boosted by just a Silk Scarf. Fake Out + Double-Edge is enough to take down Nasty Plot Missy and Earthquake does surprisingly good damage to Metang, netting a solid 3HKO. The same can't be said about Regirock though, that thing can tanks hits left and right from Kanga although is a free switch to CB Golurk or Eggy to start doing some work.

EVs: Nothing special here, just a 252 Atk / 252 Spe spread. Could use Adamant for the extra power, but I like Jolly for the ability to outspeed CB Sawk and NP Missy.​

Exeggutor
/

@ Lum Berry

~EVs: 152 HP / 40 Def / 144 SpA / 68 SpD / 104 Spe
~Nature: Modest (+SpA -Atk) ~Ability: Harvest
369 HP / 216 Def / 354 SpA / 183 SpD / 172 Spe

- Sleep Powder / Rest / Giga Drain / Psychic

Eggy is a pretty important member of the team as it takes care of a bunch of annoying Pokemon that my team doesn't like, like Alomomola and Tangela. Exeggutor's typing and good bulk also make it a great check to a bunch of Pokemon like Sawk, Kangaskhan, and Regirock. Harvest with Lum and Rest is an awesome combination and beats Synthesis any day thanks to its ability to also absorb status and bringing Eggy to full HP without any repercussion. Eggy's STAB combination is also very powerful and hits a majority of the tier for big damage. Anything capable of taking it well enough like Skuntank gets put to sleep with Sleep Powder and is taken care of by a teammate. Sleep Powder is also really cool in that Eggy is capable of tanking a hit, putting something to sleep, and then Resting all the damage off using the free turn that Sleep Powder provides. Eggy also clears the way of checks and counters to Kangaskhan and Golurk, which lets them break through teams well enough for Zebstrika to clean up late game with Scarf Tbolt. The Evs on this set lets it check much more than than a simple 252 HP would do and it's amazing to be able to tank a Primeape U-turn just to Rest it all off and pose a threat against the opponent's team again with a healthy Eggy. Going up against Samurott is a bit riskier due to the chance of it having Megahorn, but the ability to tank a LO Ice Beam and then recover back to half HP after Giga Drain is awesome.

EVs:Annoyer's Ev spread again. 152 HP / 40 Def / 68 SpD does a few things: always live Primeape U-turn (Eggy has a chance to even live one after SR), always live CB Sawk Ice Punch even after SR, and live Timid LO Samurott Ice Beam. 104 Spe Evs allow Eggy to outspeed Base 60 Pokemon such as Alomomola and Tangela as well as standard Golurk.​

Zebstrika

@ Choice Scarf

~EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
~Nature: Modest (+SpA -Atk) ~Ability: Lightningrod
291 HP / 162 Def / 283 SpA / 163 SpD / 331 (496) Spe

- Volt Switch / Overheat / Thunderbolt / Hidden Power Grass

Originally a Rotom-F, I changed over to Zebstrika due to its ability to outspeed Scarf Charizard which was really annoying for my team. I would lose an extra Ice-type resist, but what I gained from it was a Scarf Pokemon that wasn't weak to Stealth Rock, a Volt Switch absorber, and a reliable way to check a big portion of the metagame. Scarf Zeb's draw is that it outspeeds pretty much every even with Modest, including popular Scarf Pokemon like Jynx, Primeape, and Charizard. Lightningrod is an awesome ability as it gives me another answer to Rotom-S and switches over the momentum to my side. Zeb having Overheat is also really cool because it allows it to check Scolipede, Jynx, Sawsbuck, and Serperior reliably. Hidden Power Grass is definitely my least used move, but it could come in handy against a Seismitoad or Golem switch in, although my team doesn't care about Seis at all and Golem usually won't last for very many turns to have the ability to switch into Zeb. Hidden Power Ice is probably a good Hidden Power on this as well in case of a random Dragon Dance Altaria or Fraxure, who could be really threatening.

EVs: Generic 252 SpA / 252 Spe EV spread.​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zebstrika @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Pelipper (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 176 SDef / 24 Spd
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Roost
- Toxic
- U-turn

Metang @ Eviolite
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Atk / 56 SDef / 28 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Toxic
- Bullet Punch

Kangaskhan (F) @ Silk Scarf
Trait: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Golurk @ Choice Band
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch

Exeggutor (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Harvest
EVs: 152 HP / 40 Def / 144 SAtk / 68 SDef / 104 Spd
Modest Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Rest
- Giga Drain
- Psychic

Quick Threat List:

Shell Smash Carracosta: Almost certain death if this thing gets up a Shell Smash, as +2 Adamant LO Aqua Jet takes down Zebstrika if it's taken any prior damage. Thankfully as long as I don't have Zeb locked into Overheat or Golurk locked intro Ice Punch, I don't really give it a free chance to Shell Smash.

Calm Mind Serperior: If this gets up a few Calm Minds, it becomes much harder to check it with Zebstrika or Exeggutor. Hidden Power Fire sets also hurt Metang a lot, but thankfully Meteor Mash is doing a hefty 41-49% which means 2 Meteor Mashes + Bullet Punch takes it down regardless of if it's using Life Orb or Lefties. If Metang is low then Meteor + Bullet is enough for Scarf Zeb to revenge with Overheat. Sets without HP Fire are easily beaten by Metang however.

Regice: Its big special bulk makes it really annoying to face for my team. Metang is the only real reliable switch to it and a RestTalk set is capable of walling a large portion of my team. Thankfully it's not that common and Stealth Rock wears it down.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
you could fix the major problems on your threat list by running scarf jynx over accelerator. to be honest i don't think this will make you that much weaker to scarfzard since it's weak and easily worn down. it can't break through pelipper with all that special defense and carracosta or serperior are much bigger threats to worry about.

also i would slap hurricane somewhere on pelipper so you could actually hit bulky grass-types which are actually quite annoying for this team to face (maybe not so much if not that you have scarf jynx). i don't think u-turn is very useful since switching pelipper in and out is usually not a good idea because of its stealth rock weakness and making it take a hit for the opponent can open up your team to a certain threat later on since you lose a quarter of you health once you switch in. it;s usually better to just roost up and switch out right away so you should replace u-turn in my opinion.

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I'm totally fine replacing U-turn for Hurricane on Pelipper. I didn't like Hurricane > Toxic, but I did think about possibly adding it on over U-turn at some point. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'll definitely try out Scarf Jynx over Accelerator to deal with Carracosta and Serp a lot better, but there are a few things I don't really like about the change. Without Accelerator I have to rely only on Golurk to stop Volt Switch and having Jynx around also makes me a bit weaker to Skuntank. I know I don't have to use Lovely Kiss on Scarf Jynx, but that can also screw around with Eggy's strategy a bit.

Something interesting that I've been thinking about has been Scarf Sawsbuck instead of Accelerator. It still resists Aqua Jet and takes down Carracosta after a Shell Smash with Horn Leech, but can also check Serperior thanks to Sap Sipper and it commonly carrying HP Rock instead of Fire or Ice. Double-Edge does good damage to it, and I could even use Megahorn if I really needed to. What does everyone else think? I would be interested to hear what other people think would be the best course of action.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ok, I'm very late with this rate, but I have tested the options of Scarfers. Personally I feel that Sawsbuck is the better choice simply because I found Jynx to be too easily worn down by hazards. It also deals with Carracosta better, and can hit Serperior even after it Calm Minds too many times. Other than that, your team is pretty consistent so I haven't really been able to find anything to change that wasn't already mentioned (at least without changing too much of your team).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)