SS Doubles OU Trick Room Doubles team

My very first Smogon/Showdown team. I don't have a whole lot of experience with the Doubles format, but I've had a decent amount of success with this team, but I know there are quite a few holes in it. I was just hoping for a few pointers to help round out my team a bit.

Hatterene @ Figy Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic
- Mystical Fire

My initial Trick Room setter. Magic Bounce to shrug off interruptions for setting TR. I had trouble deciding what item to give it, but the HP boost from Figy Berry has allowed it to survive opening against two super effective moves to drop the first Trick Room. I couldn't find any better STAB moves to use over the obvious Dazzling Gleam and Psychic. And I went with Mystical Fire to deal with any steel-types. I had a more defensive EV spread at first, but that seemed to be ineffective so I went with max SpA and have had more success with that.

Grimmsnarl @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Darkest Lariat
- Play Rough

I almost always open with Prankster walls on turns one and two, I went with Lariat and Play Rough for some STAB after walls are set but I'll usually just switch out to an attack afterwards. I figured Light Clay was the obvious item to extend the wall duration. I had trouble deciding on how I should distribute EVs, but I've had the most success with max HP and Special Defense.

Dracovish @ Room Service
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Fishious Rend
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Psychic Fangs

My first TR abuser. A bit on the fast side as far as TR teams go, so I went with Room Service to lower its Speed a little more on switching into TR. If Dracovish moves before its target, Fishious Rend does more damage than a super effective attack from its other moves would do so there's no reason not for me to go with it. Crunch and both fangs are just to round out type coverage while also getting boosts from Strong Jaw.

Cofagrigus @ Mental Herb
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball

Secondary TR setter, I'll sometimes lead with Cofagrigus over Hatterene. Maxed both Defenses to take advantage of its already excellent Defense base stats. Shadow Ball after one Plot packs a pretty surprising punch. I was having trouble deciding between Grass Knot and Energy Ball, but the more consistent damage from Energy Ball I felt was much more reliable as a means to round out the moveset.

Stakataka @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Body Press
- Gyro Ball
- Rock Slide

I love this ridiculous Pokémon. 13 base speed is just asking to be put on a Trick Room team. I initially had Heat Crash instead of Trick Room, but after several battles with this team, I felt have a third Trick Room would be more beneficial overall. Its overall bulk makes switching in and setting Trick Room easier than most other potential candidates. Gyro Ball because of its insanely low Speed stat. Body Press because of it's insanely high Defense stat. And Rock Slide for STAB.

Slowbro-Galar @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Quiet Nature
- Shell Side Arm
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock

Of all the Pokémon on my team, I feel this is the weakest link. Shell Side Arm and Psyshock are its STAB moves. Flamethrower and Ice Beam for type coverage. I started using Life Orb on it but I find that Black Sludge on top of Regenerator make it stick around a little easier. I thought about using Quick Draw over Regenerator, but I don't like the unreliable 30% it has to activate.

Last edited:
Hey nice post, and I too am a big fan of Full Trick Room teams. I think your team has some really strong picks, like Hatterene & Stakataka, and a few that could be upgraded. Overall I’d definitely recommend on a full Trick Room team you go for offense, as the idea is to set TR and use powerful attacks to blast through your opponent’s team as quickly as possible. Right now you have a lot of defensive Pokémon & sets, for instance items like leftovers & black sludge are rarely useful in doubles outside of the bulkiest of Pokémon.

So the first change I would suggest is adding an indeedee-f. Indeedee-f and Hatterene are fantastic partners, as Indeedee sets psychic terrain to allow Hatterene to fire off powerful expanding forces, and indeedee can also redirect attacks with follow me to allow Hatterene to set Trick Room easier. I think Indeedee would be a better pick here than your slowbro-Galar. You can try this indeedee-f set:
Indeedee-F (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Expanding Force
- Follow Me
- Helping Hand
- Healing Wish

Healing wish let’s you get out of indeedee-f and into one of your powerful attackers once Indeedee has done its job of helping you set psychic terrain.

Next, I think setting dual screens is a bit too passive for this playstyle, so I’d recommend swapping out Grimmsnarl for a fire Pokémon as you definitely will want one of those to help beat bulky steels that are used to stall out Trick Room turns. Since you have Dracovish, we don’t want to use Torkoal as sun will weaken your Dracovish’s attacks, so instead we can go with Volcanion. Here’s a good set:
Volcanion @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Water Absorb
Quiet Nature
- Heat Wave
- Steam Eruption
- Earth Power
- Protect

Lastly, I think instead of Cofagrigus as another TR setter, you can go for a staple on TR teams, Porygon2. Eviolite makes Porygon2 extremely bulky, and it’s bolt-beam coverage is unresisted in the tier, meaning you can always hit stuff for respectable damage; especially if you get a special attack download boost. We can use the sample set here:
Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Def / 156 SpA / 64 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Recover
- Trick Room

Lastly I made some small improvements to your remaining mons like Hatterene and Stakataka to make them more offensive, such as changing EVs around and giving them more offensive items. Here’s the resulting paste:
https://pokepast.es/57e494dcc9489b3a

Give it a try and let me know what you think!

Thank you so much! The Indeedee is a life saver! It also seems that people are scared to hit my Stakataka with water moves since adding Volcanion as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)