Media Things You Would Consider "Peak Fiction"

Do you know Tarkovskiy's Solaris? Not Anglo, so you wouldn't have listed it. If you like sci-fi movies about "human connection" (I also think Blade Runner and A Space Odyssey are fantastic), it should appeal to you...

Do you know Tarkovskiy's Solaris? Not Anglo, so you wouldn't have listed it. If you like sci-fi movies about "human connection" (I also think Blade Runner and A Space Odyssey are fantastic), it should appeal to you...
I've read Solaris but haven't seen any film adaptations. I loved the book; in my head I group it with Ubik by Philip Dick and The City and The City by China Mieville, as I read them around the same time and they all deal heavily with themes of reality and memory.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I know its been said to death, but sherk 2 really is a perfect sequel. I don't think its possible to make a better sequel then it. (and best sequel ≠ best movie. It's much more easier to make a perfect sequel then a perfect movie and I definitely don't think sherk 2 is the best movie ever made)
tbh, I somehow ended up watching Shrek 2 before watching the original as a child. (would have been 6 - twin sisters 5 at release vs 9 and 8 so maybe does make some sense) Always felt weird going back and watching Shrek (still great) but yes Shrek 2 is ridiculously good. The cast feels much stronger outside of Shrek/Donkey/Fiona. (Also I Need a Hero is so peak its like the peakiest peak of the movie).

So many good takes. The Sopranos is amazing. I am a huge ATLA fan too! I just recently started watching One Piece (only on episode 47 or so), so I am hoping I get the peak fiction experience
I honestly get a little jealous when I see someone starting OP for the first time - you’re so lucky to experience that! Hold on, you’re in for the ride of a lifetime.

marillvibes

formerly PacificMarill
is a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
tbh, I somehow ended up watching Shrek 2 before watching the original as a child. (would have been 6 - twin sisters 5 at release vs 9 and 8 so maybe does make some sense) Always felt weird going back and watching Shrek (still great) but yes Shrek 2 is ridiculously good. The cast feels much stronger outside of Shrek/Donkey/Fiona. (Also I Need a Hero is so peak its like the peakiest peak of the movie).

I honestly get a little jealous when I see someone starting OP for the first time - you’re so lucky to experience that! Hold on, you’re in for the ride of a lifetime.
I am on episode 50ish right now, and am really enjoying it! The Sanji intro arc was my favorite so far!

Let’s do something no one’s done before
1713042533308.jpeg

It just got that vibe to it, like every song is trying to make you reminisce of the good old days, and how simple things were. It helps you cope with what troubles your going through, and it will make you cry repeadedly. Not my favorite album, but it’s absolutely peak fiction, and I don’t see much people talking about it.

Attachments

he man is what you would call peak fiction. The storylines are freaking awesome, the characters are cool as heck (especially Orko) and lots more, y'all should watch it sometime

Attachments

Laputa - Castle in the Sky

There is like 1 scene in the entire movie that I would change or alter, everything else is amazing
It instills such a sense of wonder an escape for me, the entire opening credits scene is a masterpiece of its own, the cozy town and landscape at the beginning are great, the amazing airship designs, how weird and mysterious the floating island actually is, and the characters are also great.
Magnificent music to go along with it, and you actually have 2 versions of the OST, though I prefer the original.

video game: super mario world - im actually playing this for the first time (was an n64 kid) and im blown away by how magical the game feels, the platforming is perfect and the difficulty increases at a reasonable level, discovering secrets make the world feel much bigger yet more deliberate than tons of open world games out there today

tv show: true detective s1 - i thought itd be hard for something to top mindhunter but the mixture of mystery and character drama makes this perfect in almost every way. i was breathless at the end of that 1 ep...

anime: gintama - might be a polarizing pick but my sense of humor completely aligns with how stupid this show is most of the time, reminds me of me goofing off with my friends or family. i swear i could watch the main trio narrate paint drying and id love it. and this doesnt even get into how amazing the serious arcs are

manga: berserk/nana - cant pick between the 2 but nana is prob the best character drama ive ever read

comic: batman arkham asylum by grant morrison - batman with a tinge of horror... always liked batman but i didnt love the noir detective comic stuff/storylines since i felt they werent very interesting and relied more on the hero aesthetic than anything, this comic sort of turns that stuff upside down and does a more "mature" (i hate that word lmao) take on batman and his rogues gallery. its incredible and written beautifully and the art is some of the most unique things ive ever seen

book: the road by cormac mccarthy - this book genuinely sounds like music. the way the sentences are crafted and how every word is chosen perfectly... i know some ppl hate his use of polysyndetons but i think its effective since the moments in which they are used literally leave u breathless. its one of the best examples of form supporting the narrative. i actually couldnt read anything afterwards LOL bc they all sounded so boring and clunky in comparison. only toni morrison, nabokov, and pynchon survived

havent watched enough films to pick 1 but the witch by eggers, shoplifters, and persona (1966 or w,e year it was) stand out to me

The original RWS of TTTE, Seasons 1-5, and all the fan media (especially the fanscripts and the Trainz stories/adaptations) based off them are peak quality!
This classic to prove it :

I said this earlier, but a series of unfortunate events. specifically, the tv show. count Olaf is in my opinion the best villain ever written. I cannot recommend this enough.
ASOUE is probably the most "intellectual 12 year old" show ever. I would know. I was the intellectual 12 year old.

I do like the show. I really do. The general story loop is great, but I really can't get over the entire sugar bowl shenanigans. The VFD is perfectly fine as a conspiracy, but the mycelium/sugar bowl subplot feels kind of... rushed. If it was hinted towards throughout the story, and not shoved in halfway through, it would be a little better, but I wish it had more story significance than it actually does. From it's introduction, it's portrayed as this massively important object that would be key to the story, but it ends up just being a cure for some obscure spore that then only serves the purpose of making the main characters not die at the end. What should have been this grand goal for the main characters to discover ends up as more of a plot device than anything meaningful to the overarching story. And they definitely had time to rehash this part of the story. They've clearly been improving on the book as a whole, so why not make a change to the biggest issue in the book? I doubt there would be a single longtime fan of the book that actually cares that they got rid of this subplot and changed the ending, or made the sugar bowl a more important part of the story.

ASOUE is probably the most "intellectual 12 year old" show ever. I would know. I was the intellectual 12 year old.

I do like the show. I really do. The general story loop is great, but I really can't get over the entire sugar bowl shenanigans. The VFD is perfectly fine as a conspiracy, but the mycelium/sugar bowl subplot feels kind of... rushed. If it was hinted towards throughout the story, and not shoved in halfway through, it would be a little better, but I wish it had more story significance than it actually does. From it's introduction, it's portrayed as this massively important object that would be key to the story, but it ends up just being a cure for some obscure spore that then only serves the purpose of making the main characters not die at the end. What should have been this grand goal for the main characters to discover ends up as more of a plot device than anything meaningful to the overarching story. And they definitely had time to rehash this part of the story. They've clearly been improving on the book as a whole, so why not make a change to the biggest issue in the book? I doubt there would be a single longtime fan of the book that actually cares that they got rid of this subplot and changed the ending, or made the sugar bowl a more important part of the story.
my main problem with the show is that it did not capture the spirit of the original book, that being solving the mystery yourself. nothing was given to you in the books, and every answer brought up more questions. there was even a supplementary book made that "answered" all the questions, and lets just say that it was the first book to ever turn a glossary into a scavenger hunt. the show just tells you the stuff.

that being said, my main problem with the books is that they are kind of boring, and lack any flair. take a look at any of count olafs scenes in the show, and you will discover that that is not a problem. i consider a moment from penultimate peril in the show to be one of the best scenes out of any show. neil patrick harris did an outstanding job as count olaf, patrick warburton as lemony snicket should not work nearly as well as it does, and k todd freeman delivered each and every one of his lines as mr poe with incredible comedic timing. the story feels more... there. i really wish that the books and the shows did a better job at the others successes, because if either of them did, it would be truly incredible.

I think now would be a good time to bring up Limbus Company as the undisputed best gacha game ever made. I know that doesn't really say much, but it stands as one of the best games standalone, and when you compare it to the pools of questionable quality mobile games that get passed around (Blue Archive, HSR, Etc.) Limbus Company can stand clear above the rest. Being a project moon game, it is stupidly difficult, and it retains aspects of the somewhat luck-based gameplay of Library of Ruina, but the game is still definitely fun. The real shining point of the games is the characters. Canto 4 was an almost perfect story about depression and coming to terms with your future, and I honestly thought that the story would peak there, but it doesn't. Canto 5 continued improving on the storytelling, and Canto 6 subverted all expectations by punching the focus character of the chapter, Heathcliff, so far down that there's basically no point in writing him an actual redemption. Mili continues to do a fantastic job with the soundtrack, with the lyrics almost perfectly describing their characters while simultaneously not straying from Mili's standard song "formula." Overall, Limbus Company is probably my favorite PM game, undoubtedly my favorite gacha game, and one of my favorite games of all time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 0)