Resource SV OU Post-HOME Viability Ranking Thread [ Final Update: Post #280 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some noms while I try to decompress from the heat outside

:Slowking-Galar: A+ -> S
This really feels appropriate at this point. The through the roof WCOP and success is a great illustrator of how splashable and effective Glowking is. It's absolutely staple status, and easily one of the best pokemon in the tier. The practical typing, giant move pool and incredible pivoting potential make it immensely reliable in any given game.

:Samurott-Hisui: A -> A+
While the crazy usage early in WCOP has since leveled out to a saner pace, Samurott has proven itself a key piece of the metagame and a notably influential pokemon with the efficiency in its hazard setting. The practical, flexible typing and solid threat itself means it does more than just set hazards, even being capable of contributing some defensive utility to certain teams.

:Landorus-Therian: A- -> A
It's not the crazy #1 glue pokemon from previous gens as it had its legs cut off by gamefreak, but we've been seeing more usage of 'ol LandoT throughout WCOP, and putting in its usual good work. It doesn't fit on as many teams as Great Tusk, but LandoT is still a reliable pivot and capable of being offensively threatening itself. It's still a very good pokemon, and plenty splashable overall.

:Greninja: B- -> B+
This is partly just Gren being underranked in the first place. While it is understandable early on, the direction of the offensive metagame is nice for Greninja. Experimentation with Battle Bond sets have proven on occasion to be solidly effective as a late game presence, while Specs appreciates the general decline of sturdy water checks, notably less AV Pex and Clodsire. And the speed tier as a whole is very appreciable in the current metagame.

:Moltres: C+ -> B+
I actually nommed this early when it was uncommon and thought it was underrated, but now it's hard to say that given the spike in usage it's been enjoying as a result of being discovered to be quite good in general. The low amount of knock off helps it maintain HDB throughout a game, and the typing lets it check a surprising range of pokemon. Notably the two big fairies Enamorus and Valiant, but also providing a generally useful check to the likes of rock move lacking Lando, Sneasler, Zamazenta, Kingambit, Cinderace, Great Tusk... And tera helps in the event it does lose boots to a knock off, softening the hazard issue.

:Ceruledge: C+ -> C-
When was the last time this was at all a threat? It was already mediocre by the end of pre home, and with many new pokemon introduced to limit it, this mon only gets worse. It's a bad tera hog when it wants to use BU sets, and weak armor sets are just terrible in a hazard heavy metagame when so many checks exist. It's so difficult to build with, and other pokemon are just worth the slot more. I really can't see a reason to use this anymore outside very very specific structures.

I'd like to vote for Floatzel to move up to C- Tier. If it wasn't for how dupes clause works, I'd say Floatzel belongs in D Tier, but thanks to Basculegion Female having a place in the meta, it allows Floatzel to fill out the niche for a Physical Rain Sweeper when paired together. With Tera, it's also capable of outspeeding and OHKOing Basculegion and Battle Bond boosted Greninja in the Rain. That being said, I can't see it being placed any higher than that thanks to being nearly useless outside of rain, and being somewhat Tera reliant.

I'd like to vote for Floatzel to move up to C- Tier. If it wasn't for how dupes clause works, I'd say Floatzel belongs in D Tier, but thanks to Basculegion Female having a place in the meta, it allows Floatzel to fill out the niche for a Physical Rain Sweeper when paired together. With Tera, it's also capable of outspeeding and OHKOing Basculegion and Battle Bond boosted Greninja in the Rain. That being said, I can't see it being placed any higher than that thanks to being nearly useless outside of rain, and being somewhat Tera reliant.
I support this nomination although I’d say the bigger thing giving it a niche is its partnership with :greninja: under rain, which allows it to turn its “here for a good time, not a long time” nature into an advantage by launching off a nuke or two before dying to recoil allowing :greninja: to come in for free on a weakened foe and threaten to activate battle bond.

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
Hi all, I’m going to be handling this slate as Finch is on LoA. We want to update this resource as WCoP comes to a close so I’ll be working on a slate in the coming days and have an update for you all before the weekend. Locking for now

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
Weekend? I meant week; it definitely autocorrected, trust me :worrywhirl:

Rises
  • :gholdengo: A+ to S-
  • :cinderace: A- to A
  • :walking-wake: A- to A
  • :hatterene: B+ to A-
  • :rotom-wash: B+ to A-
  • :glimmora: B to B+
  • :iron-moth: B to A-
  • :greninja: B to A
  • :meowscarada: B- to B+
  • :rillaboom: B- to B
  • :scream-tail: B- to B
  • :torkoal: B- to B
  • :clodsire: C+ to B
  • :hawlucha: C+ to B-
  • :iron-hands: C+ to B-
  • :moltres: C+ to A-
  • :scizor: C+ to B
  • :alomomola: C to C+
  • :blissey: C to C+
  • :maushold: C to C+
  • :polteageist: C to C+
  • :thundurus-therian: C to B-
  • :armarouge: D to C
  • :breloom: D to B-
  • :floatzel: D to C
  • :abomasnow: UR to C
  • :brute-bonnet: UR to C+
  • :froslass: UR to D
  • :frosmoth: UR to C
  • :iron-jugulis: UR to C+

Drops
  • :dragapult: S to A+
  • :iron-valiant: S to S-
  • :garganacl: A+ to A
  • :roaring-moon: A- to B+
  • :ursaluna: A- to B+
  • :volcanion: A- to B+
  • :slowking: B+ to B
  • :basculegion-f: B to B-
  • :tornadus-therian: B to B-
  • :arcanine-hisui: B- to C+
  • :mew: B- to C+
  • :articuno-galar: C+ to C
  • :ceruledge: C+ to C
  • :braviary-hisui: C to D
  • :kleavor: C to D
  • :regidrago: C to D
  • :slowbro: C to D
  • :zapdos-galar: C to D
  • :electrode-hisui: D to UR
  • :tyranitar: D to UR
Rises:

:greninja:: +4 Subrankings (B- to A)
To anybody who has been playing on the OU ladder or paying attention to WCoP lately, this meteoric rise should be a surprise to nobody. Even with its nerf, Battle Bond is still a shockingly great ability, providing +1 Special Attack and Speed to Greninja who packs an elite dual STAB combination, great coverage, and very serviceable power that's able to be augmented by its own Spikes, HO-oriented teammates, or Rain support. With this, Greninja can not only be a very potent wallbreaker, but also a monstrous cleaner that can be hard to stop without dedicated tools.

:moltres:: +4 Subrankings (C+ to A-)
Moltres's good bulk and defensive typing alongside access to Flame Body and threatening natural power allows for it to serve as one of the tier's best Iron Valiant checks while also packing utility into Kingambit, Great Tusk, Dragonite, and Zamazenta-Hero with the combination of Will-O-Wisp and Flame Body. With very respectable usage in WCoP and high ladder alike, Moltres has found itself rising quite dramatically alongside Greninja.

:breloom:: +3 Subrankings (D to B-)
Even with the power creep brought in by Pokemon HOME, its access to Spore, powerful priority that threatens Kingambit, and solid resistance profile into rising star Greninja and Hisuian Samurott enables it to be a solid revenge killer, wallbreaker, and good check into many deadly options at offense's disposal, while being a boon for offense itself.

:brute-bonnet:: +3 Subrankings (UR to C+)
Brute Bonnet has proven to still be an excellent resource for Sun in WCoP lately with the raw power of Protosynthesis and Loaded Dice-boosted Bullet Seed alongside the utility of Spore and Sucker Punch. This helps greatly for the structure's otherwise inconsistent matchup into Kingambit while also being generally useful for cleaving past annoying bulky Water-types like Dondozo and the obnoxious Garganacl.

:iron-jugulis:: +3 Subrankings (UR to C+)
The distant future isn't without its own UR to C+ candidate; Iron Jugulis has seen success as a versatile tool for HO. Alongside Speed-boosting Quark Drive, it is able to make effective progress with the combination of STAB Knock Off regardless of its middling base Attack and Taunt to remove items and block recovery/Court Change while also packing a punch. Relying on Hurricane, though, can be a really dicey Achilles' Heel.

:iron-moth:: +2 Subrankings (B to A-)
Iron Moth has seen a resurgence, boasting very respectable success on Sun and HO structures with its Speed-boosting Quark Drive sets and its weirdly flexible defensive profile into Iron Valiant and Sneasler. Its set flexibility enables it to run Substitute to blank Garganacl and take advantage of its bulk alongside Tera, or it can choose to dive deep into its great coverage profile or simply go balls to the walls with Tera Water or Ground Tera Blast.

:meowscarada:: +2 Subrankings (B- to B+)
Meowscarada's Speed tier alongside access to STAB Knock Off, Spikes, U-turn and Taunt keep Meowscarada a reliable lead and offensive pivot. Its Speed tier alongside Protean give it some nice utility as a Choice Scarf user, too, which can be useful against dangerous cleaners like Iron Valiant, Speed-boosting Great Tusk, Greninja, and non-Ice Shard Baxcalibur.

:clodsire:: +2 Subrankings (C+ to B)
While its passivity can hurt, its great special bulk and access to Water Absorb enable it to serve as one of the tier's few reliable checks to Greninja, while being an effective option into Iron Valiant, Dragapult, and Walking Wake. This alongside its access to Toxic and hazards give it far more applicable utility on bulkier structures than before.

:scizor:: +2 Subrankings (C+ to B)
Scizor's access to powerful priority that threatens Iron Valiant and Enamorus alongside a solid defensive typing, Swords Dance, and STAB U-turn give it solid cleaning and revenge killing ability.

:thundurus-therian:: +2 Subrankings (C to B-)
Choice Specs and dual dance sets go brrrnt.

:abomasnow: + :frosmoth:: +2 Subrankings (UR to C)
Abomasnow and Frosmoth are partners in crime, so it probably makes sense to discuss them together. Abomasnow's ranking is mostly carried by Snow Warning and Aurora Veil, making it a decent dual Screen setter that also can enable Frosmoth (and other teammates) easier setup opportunities by setting Reflect and Light Screen simultaneously. Frosmoth, on the other hand, is truly what reaps the reward of this rise. With Snow, Tera, Aurora Veil, and Ice Scales, it can easily accrue several Quiver Dance boosts and use the combination of Tera Blast and STAB Ice Beam to wipe out unprepared teams.

Drops:

:dragapult:: -2 Subrankings (S to A+)
With the extremely commanding success of Kingambit and the annoying presences of Ting-Lu, Amoonguss, Speed-boosting demons like Iron Valiant, Garganacl, Dragapult's strength can be very hit or miss. Though, it is still a phenomenal option in the metagame with its unparalleled Speed tier, spammable dual STAB combination, pivoting, and fantastic status spreading ability, just not one that was as dominant as it used to be.

:iron-valiant:: -1 Subranking (S to S-)
Its versatility precedes it, but the metagame is continuing to adapt to its presence in spite of its absurd offensive flexibility. Widespread use of Galarian Slowking, Amoonguss, and an uptick in Moltres/Clodsire usage means that moveslot limitations are continuing to catch up with it. As such, it isn't quite able to succeed Magearna or Volcarona in the realm of beating anything it wants to anymore.

:garganacl:: -1 Subranking (A+ to A)
Call in False Swipe Gaming to make the Garganacl Theorem, because it is the face of a Pokemon that puts a chokehold on the metagame when simple adaptations fall out of favor, but when they come back, it loses that broken kick. Covert Cloak isn't quite as common as it used to be, but instead it's really Encore, Taunt, and Substitute that get in its way this time.

As per usual, the thread will also be open for anybody who has questions about any rises/drops that haven't been explained in the list above or for any Pokemon that received no changes for about 24 hours or so. Nominations will not be open yet!! Furthermore, If you have a question, please just see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Thank you for your patience!

ausma

token smogon furry
OU Forum Leader
I'm really confused by this. Why did Garg drop? It's had a good WCOP showing and is a generally great Pokemon.
Also going to use this as an opportunity to say that if you have a question you should also check the Noteworthy Changes spoiler too before asking it

ausma

token smogon furry
OU Forum Leader
Cresselia rose from UU to OU this month but it didn't see a corresponding rise in VR This time around. Why is that?
Cresselia is definitely viable and is pretty popular on ladder so it's not shocking that it rose to OU proper, but the big thing is that Cresselia is not performing really beyond B+ when it's hurt so badly by the iron grip Kingambit has over the tier, alongside it also really hating the increased Taunt and Encore usage.

Baloor

Tigers Management
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
PUPL Champion
Cresselia rose from UU to OU this month but it didn't see a corresponding rise in VR This time around. Why is that?
its not that good. A- is too much for it. insanely straightforward gameplan that good players don't really have a issue getting around it with really simple counterplay in gambit, taunt, encore etc.... B+ is being too generous imo but I digress. its a popular ladder pick which is notable due to the season we are in but its not really performing elsewhere.

the metagame staple, dead and buried, everyone. to think it was so pitifully over-reliant on pursuit as its claim to fame.
Eh, even if it still had Pursuit it would've fallen off this gen anyway imo. Kingambit would have it too, there aren't too many Ghosts and Psychics to trap anyway, and Ttar still lets Great Tusk in for free.

ausma

token smogon furry
OU Forum Leader
to not make this a one-liner, what exactly is the reason for iron hands’ rise? tusk is one thing, but being weak to moonblast spam and future sight while being THAT slow is a huge drawback.
Alongside being a rare Kingambit check, it also is just a really good tank with Swords Dance + Drain Punch, STAB Thunder Punch, and Ice Punch to make it able to throttle bulkier structures with Tera support and take a trade or two against offense

not too familiar with the difference between D and UR, but why did Froslass get the bump up? Is it because it's a finicky answer to a mon like Kingambit with willo/destiny bond? Or is it bc the bumps that abomasnow and frosmoth got?

ausma

token smogon furry
OU Forum Leader
not too familiar with the difference between D and UR, but why did Froslass get the bump up? Is it because it's a finicky answer to a mon like Kingambit with willo/destiny bond? Or is it bc the bumps that abomasnow and frosmoth got?
Froslass has a found a niche as a Spikes lead on some HO comps with its access to fast status, an innate Rapid Spin immunity, and other utility like Taunt and Destiny Bond.

As for your first mention, the main difference is that D-tier Pokemon have a readily-applicable game-to-game niche but are either very outclassed or simply just don't do it that effectively or consistently. Unranked Pokemon are usually just not worth using over other Pokemon.

Hisuian Samurott.png

His success in wcop, popularity (top5 usage last two months) and many noms highlignting his versality prior to the VR update made me think he would rise.
What reasons made him stagnate instead?

Edit: forgot pic

ausma

token smogon furry
OU Forum Leader
View attachment 542928
His success in wcop, popularity (top5 usage last two months) and many noms highlignting his versality prior to the VR update made me think he would rise.
What reasons made him stagnate instead?

Edit: forgot pic
Its speed tier and middling stats in general really sting it a lot, but it's for those reasons you mentioned that it definitely at least still belongs in A. Though it was definitely a close vote to rise; I could see it maybe rising in the next slate if it continues to see success!

viivian

beep boop
is a Tiering Contributor
tyranitar no longer being UR is unfortunate but i have to ask why frosmoth is ranked? from what i can tell it only really has a good matchup against great tusk and its defensive typing and speed stat make it too inefficient to reliably sweep with QD. sure theres terastallization but i wouldnt have expected that to singlehandedly give it a niche in OU

would it be possible to see the voting slate for future vr changes.?

I am very surprised Ursaluna didn't drop further.
I am also not quite sure why Hawlucha rised and would like an explanation if possible, seems to me as if it struggles to find an actual spot on teams, even on terrain teams compared to other possible users but I'm probably missing something.

tyranitar no longer being UR is unfortunate but i have to ask why frosmoth is ranked? from what i can tell it only really has a good matchup against great tusk and its defensive typing and speed stat make it too inefficient to reliably sweep with QD. sure theres terastallization but i wouldnt have expected that to singlehandedly give it a niche in OU
It's mentioned in the rises, but it is an obnoxiously bulky pokemon against special attacks under Aurora Veil, even before Tera. Like Clodsire bulky.

It does rely on knowing when you can swap it in, but if you can get a QD or two off, it can absolutely run away with a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)