Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v2 [Update on Post #5186]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quickbans felt so necessary this generation because there were so many borderline pokemon that nobody could agree were broken or not. Full-on suspect tests accomplish very little with the playerbase so split and take too much time to suspect each potentially broken element. This is compounded by gamefreak's new DLC releases and dropping of pokemon in the middle of everything. The one thing everyone can agree on is that, to quote finch, we've "stayed around the outskirts of 'good metagame'". Something's wrong, but nobody can agree on how to fix it. I think the only solution is to be a little more liberal with the bans. Think of it this way: it's better to ban something innocent than keep something broken. If we have to sacrifice Sneasler for a metagame without the totally centralizing Kingambit, then we should. And like Schpoonman said, we can always just unban things later if there's enough support. This effectively makes the ban percentage requirement 40%, since the automatic status quo would be banned, and it's 60% unban. This could lead to some probably-ok or flavor-of-the-month pokemon getting banned, but like I said before, that is totally a worthy tradeoff for stability of the metagame.
i agree to an extent. there are so many threats around that we need to switch gears to "guilty until proven innocent" until things are at a point where the insanity stops, but i don't think this is the time for that. the period between dlc1 and dlc2 doesn't really matter because a coherent meta won't even have time to develop before the next big shakeup, and no matter how many things we kick upstairs they'll come right back down to ou in december. i say we ban nothing, give the council the 3-month vacation they've more than earned, and then we can all come back and start doing work that matters when dlc2 drops

• Love
Reactions: MrE
Unlikely, would have to be the verdict of a Tera suspect, which is not currently planned
I do think a suspect would be desirable in the near future, as the amount of things that are broken due to tera is frankly getting a bit out of hand at this point.

Volc, Gambit, Espathra, Valiant (If Tapu Koko comes back it will be banned though, and hear me out), Dragapult; all broken due to tera

Last edited:
Is Hamurott a Suicide Lead? I know it's often a lead for early Spikes pressure but compared to the others I thought it had traits worth not killing itself early for one Momentum grab.
It can be played as one, but it turns out that Sharpness with Water/Dark stab (and Sacred Sword!) is insanely strong.

As is Knock Off, and two forms of priority, and..

BijouMode

wanna rock your body
is a Tiering Contributor
I do think a suspect would be desirable in the near future, as the amount of things that are broken due to tera is frankly getting a bit out of hand at this point.

Volc, Gambit, Espathra, Valiant (If Tapu Koko comes back it will be banned though), Dragapult; all broken due to tera
I personally don't think IVal was broken by tera as it's main strengths are its insane speed, versatility in sets, and raw power. While tera obviously made a good mon even better, I don't think Val was really broken by tera, I think it was more broken by the fact that its just too fast, powerful and adaptable.

suicide leads are not eating well this gen. with the most used mon in the meta benefiting from having dead teammates and the existence of a new move that revives things, i would've thought froslass stocks would be a lot higher
Probably because there's now a suicide lead that sets spikes while using a 97.5 BP STAB attack and is a completely guaranteed progress maker.

Hmm, I think Gambit is probably just broken anyway and Pult was broken in Gen 8 too
ehh, gambit really wants that swords dance on top of supreme overlord which it can't get reliably without tera, without tera it gets walled hard by things like tusk that it would beat with tera.

Also Valiant can circumvent its 4mss to some degree with tera, which is Valiant's main issue that would normally keep it in line to some degree.

If Tapu Koko comes back it will be banned though
if koko comes back, valiant won't be the one banned because of it, koko itself will. access to ice-type tera blast alone makes it borderline, and then there's the potential for tera electric choice sets that nuke every non-ground in its path instead, and these can be either physical or special. that's before considering that it also breaks valiant (more than it already is), moth, and possibly jugulis and hands by simply existing

if koko comes back, valiant won't be the one banned because of it, koko itself will. access to ice-type tera blast alone makes it borderline, and then there's the potential for tera electric choice sets that nuke every non-ground in its path instead, and these can be either physical or special. that's before considering that it also breaks valiant (more than it already is), moth, and possibly jugulis and hands by simply existing
RIP Thorns. Gone and forgotten, cause you kinda suck a--

• Haha
Reactions: MrE

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
Is Hamurott a Suicide Lead? I know it's often a lead for early Spikes pressure but compared to the others I thought it had traits worth not killing itself early for one Momentum grab.
it can be, and it's definitely great at being a lead, but sd, scarf, and that typing are giga worth, esp w/ the added utility of knock to pressure boots heavy structures and the fact ceaseless edge is a broken click

who is doing the final post for SV HOME

are we getting a new thread at all, actually, or are we just sticking here? I assume new one. In general, we are on page 294. We are unlikely to hit page 300, but damn that's a lot of posts.

My thoughts on SV Home retroactively: I think the end of pre-HOME was better. I think I'd overall rate the meta a 5/10. Not on the IGN score but actually numerically, dead average in terms of enjoyment. I think it was ok, but it was not truly good, and I have been enjoying older gens more (still loving Gen 6 OU).

My favorite Pokemon of the meta (not best, but the one I enjoy seeing) is definitely Scream Tail. I was a believer during pre-HOME from the first moment I saw it on a balance team, still a believer today. The little Jigglypuff who could.

are we getting a new thread at all, actually, or are we just sticking here? I assume new one. In general, we are on page 294. We are unlikely to hit page 300, but damn that's a lot of posts.

My thoughts on SV Home retroactively: I think the end of pre-HOME was better. I think I'd overall rate the meta a 5/10. Not on the IGN score but actually numerically, dead average in terms of enjoyment. I think it was ok, but it was not truly good, and I have been enjoying older gens more (still loving Gen 6 OU).

My favorite Pokemon of the meta (not best, but the one I enjoy seeing) is definitely Scream Tail. I was a believer during pre-HOME from the first moment I saw it on a balance team, still a believer today. The little Jigglypuff who could.
Dlc is a new era -- feat. Pokemon HOME Deluxe Edition

well, i didn't get post 6969 so i'll have to settle for trying to get the last word in
yeah, the end of pre-home was definitely more enjoyable and more balanced than what we have right now, but i don't know how much of that can be attributed to the new mons—the three most problematic mons (gambit, bax and valiant) all existed pre-home too, and in a hypothetical meta where home was never introduced, i think the meta still would have developed to a point where those three were banworthy. i do think that, of the new additions, hisuian samurott puts a lot of pressure on the tier in a bad way and i would suggest looking at it in the future; enamorus is also wacky and should probably be looked at

well, i didn't get post 6969 so i'll have to settle for trying to get the last word in

yeah, the end of pre-home was definitely more enjoyable and more balanced than what we have right now, but i don't know how much of that can be attributed to the new mons—the three most problematic mons (gambit, bax and valiant) all existed pre-home too, and in a hypothetical meta where home was never introduced, i think the meta still would have developed to a point where those three were banworthy. i do think that, of the new additions, hisuian samurott puts a lot of pressure on the tier in a bad way and i would suggest looking at it in the future; enamorus is also wacky and should probably be looked at
I am thinking that if tera goes, gambit could be fine, since tera breaks gambit in a similar vein to volcarona. Without tera it can't just set up on things it shouldn't which is why gambit is broken at the moment. Valiant and Bax should 100% be looked at though.

I am thinking that if tera goes, gambit could be fine, since tera breaks gambit in a similar vein to volcarona. Without tera it can't just set up on things it shouldn't which is why gambit is broken at the moment. Valiant and Bax should 100% be looked at though.
that may be true, but until an actual tera suspect is announced (which might not happen until dlc2 given the very short lifespan of this upcoming meta), we should act as though it'll stick around for the whole gen

Reminder that the actual last post will be by the one who closes the thread, either by Finch or Ausma trying to rob each other

So second best it is
erm acshually, that was true for the SV OU first thread, but the last post in the last SWSH thread is a regular post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)