Ladder STABmons (the old one)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next up: the unmatcheable terror that is...

Yanmega, ultimate sweeper of

no I'm sorry I can't do it Yanmega sucks too much

OK. Let's be honest: Yanmega's stats are low. Its Speed tier is gimped. (You're fast! But not fast enough to care without some kind of boost) If it wants to outspeed things in actual fact while acting as a setup sweeper, it needs to either take Tinted Lens+Quiver Dance, sacrificing overall power to allow it to push through resists, or more realistically it takes Tail Glow+Speed Boost so it can pull ahead in power and Speed. Its typing is awful, and in particular is doubly weak to Stealth Rock. It's depressingly fragile and has no out on that. (Access to Defend Order+Heal Order+Oblivion Wing does not help) Its offensive STABs are not very complimentary. Its coverage is pathetic, being limited to basically Shadow Ball, which admittedly pairs well with Bug+Flying.

You know what you should use if you're thinking of using Yanmega?

Scolipede. Take Speed Boost, Tail Glow once, or twice if you can pull it off, and then Baton Pass off to Espeon with Stored Power+Dazzling Gleam or some such. Or pass it to Zapdos or some other Special Flying type, I dunno.

this isn't me crapping on other people this is me being intensely disappointed with Yanmega after I tried to use it myself and found it sucks too much. whyyyyy

Fissure

Cotton Candy Thighs
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Only posting this since people seem to like it.
upload_2015-1-9_0-45-0.png

Magmortar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Searing Shot
- Thunderbolt
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
I just wanted to use a mon that could face lead Sableye. Dark void does not work because of vital spirit and will-o-wisp does not work because of being a fire type. As long as it is not mega, I can taunt it. Also works against E-killers. People never see the sash coming and get hit by a searing shot. With a 30% to burn + STAB, it will do massive damage, if not kill the mon by the second turn. Now I know what you are saying to yourself right about now, "But Fissure, why aren't you running a Timid nature if you want to taunt mons that will set up on you with shell smash, geomancy, etc..." The reason is simple my good reader, I can't taunt magic bounce users like Espeon and Mega-Sableye so why try to out speed them? If you are using a geomancy Togekiss, do you run modest or timid? Most of you would say modest because you want to hit things hard and why boost your speed when you out speed almost everything without a choice scarf at +2. This is important because modest Magmortar out speeds modest Togekiss and can taunt it and then proceed to 2HKO it if it is not invested in special defense. That T-wave/geomancy ain't got nothin on suicide lead Magmortar. Plus hp ice for dragons and stuff. Thanks for reading my post :) I hope you have a wonderful rest of your day/night!

Last edited:

EV

Banned deucer.
Only posting this since people seem to like it.
View attachment 33483
Magmortar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Searing Shot
- Thunderbolt
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
I just wanted to use a mon that could face lead Sableye. Dark void does not work because of vital spirit and will-o-wisp does not work because of being a fire type. As long as it is not mega, I can taunt it. Also works against E-killers. People never see the sash coming and get hit by a searing shot. With a 50% to burn + STAB, it will do massive damage, if not kill the mon by the second turn. Now I know what you are saying to yourself right about now, "But Fissure, why aren't you running a Timid nature if you want to taunt mons that will set up on you with shell smash, geomancy, etc..." The reason is simple my good reader, I can't taunt magic bounce users like Espeon and Mega-Sableye so why try to out speed them? If you are using a geomancy Togekiss, do you run modest or timid? Most of you would say modest because you want to hit things hard and why boost your speed when you out speed almost everything without a choice scarf at +2. This is important because modest Magmortar out speeds modest Togekiss and can taunt it and then proceed to 2HKO it if it is not invested in special defense. That T-wave/geomancy ain't got nothin on suicide lead Magmortar. Plus hp ice for dragons and stuff. Thanks for reading my post :) I hope you have a wonderful rest of your day/night!
*Searing Shot is 30% for burns, not 50%.

I've seen this in action and the surprise factor can really trip up opponents unfamiliar with Magmortar in STABmons. I would even slash EQ with Hidden Power to bop any Heatran thinking it can muscle its way in. That would also give Mag a way to hit Tyranitar a little harder, since Ttar also makes a good check to this set.

Fissure

Cotton Candy Thighs
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
*Searing Shot is 30% for burns, not 50%.

I've seen this in action and the surprise factor can really trip up opponents unfamiliar with Magmortar in STABmons. I would even slash EQ with Hidden Power to bop any Heatran thinking it can muscle its way in. That would also give Mag a way to hit Tyranitar a little harder, since Ttar also makes a good check to this set.
Thanks for catching the mistake; I would have never seen it. Yeah, I should have double checked my facts but I get really lazy at 1 A.M. and I just wanted to finish the draft. I also found a battle showing off the set.
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/stabmons-196496733

I agree that it had niche. But when you see a Magmortar pop up in the team preview, you can guess its role pretty much yourself.

Well, that doesn't make it any less viable anyway.

It has the tools to shake up many common walls. But if you're up against a HO team, it's more or less a liability.

Last edited:
Honestly, Magmortar has a not-bad Attack of 95, so Sacred Fire isn't out of the question if you really want that 50% burn. Would still stick with Searing Shot though.

canno

formerly The Reptile
this is why we bring Gunk Shot on our Greninja kids

40 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 406-478 (100.4 - 118.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
40 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 222-263 (34.5 - 40.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

clean 40% on chansey not bad
inb4LowKick

40 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Low Kick (60 BP) vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 221-265 (34.4 - 41.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

for some reason chansey the fatty is light as fuck ;_; Hits other shit tho like TTar and Ferro so mehh

EV

Banned deucer.
My Azumarill was 252 HP / 16 Def, so there is a small chance to live and assuming I use Crabhammer rather than Play Rough, I could follow up with a Water Shuriken for KO. Odds aren't in my favor regardless.

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
Eevee General is Greninja being banned?
I'm not TEG but I'm on the council.

I'm going to say the answer to this question is probably no. Dark Void and Nasty Plot are nice additions, but due to it still being weak to revenge killing (which is even more common in STABmons due to Diggersbae and other FakeSpeeders) and having more common things that wall it (Chansey and Defensive Azumarill [yes this is a thing due to reliable recovery and good defensive typing] for examples), it isn't broken. Heck, you have to pick between 2 of Nasty Plot, Dark Void, and Gunk Shot, so Greninja gets quite a bit of 4MSS as well. Not to mention that Nasty Plot sets are stopped by Sableye if it switches in.

tl;dr Greninja got some nice additions, but the power creep in STABmons makes it not as good as it is in OU.

... wasn't the council dissolved?
The council will no longer have the sole authority on Suspects any more, because of reasons already known to frequent visitors of the thread.

But it will continue to take on Frontier challenges, influence the Underrated Sets thread and generally be (as I myself put it) 'Evil Ministers to the General' as far as STABmons is concerned.

So I told the council first and now I'll share my decision.

I've decided to dissolve any form of an official council and handle suspects like I have been doing in Inverse. That means anyone who posts in this thread has a say, but I will take certain opinions over others, particular ones backed up with evidence like replays, calcs, and/or ladder ranks*. The former council members are just as welcome to contribute.

*Ladder ranks aren't foolproof in such a small metagame but players who consistently rank near the top generally have a better understanding of it than someone who got lucky with one replay.

That being said, the last suspect decision on Slowbronite is reversed and banned. Quoting myself in the convo:

tl;dr - No more council, TEG makes the final decision on bans, going to be more liberal with them in order to foster better metagame.

Air out any complains on my profile. I'd rather we move forward from this (major) hiccup. The Immortal I'm gonna keep you busy bby.
In what way is this post not "the council no longer exists"? It outright uses the phrase "former council members"! Either you guys are lying or mistaken, or Eevee General fundamentally misrepresented his decision here.

Let's not do this again. We've had too much of silliness here already. Enjoy the metagame. Restrict the non-meta debates to messages or the Room.

Given that what I'm hearing is that the ex-council still has sizable influence on the metagame (Or behaves under the belief that they do), I'm trying to imagine how I'm supposed to just "enjoy the metagame" when hanging over it is some kind of bullshit, and failing. I'm also not seeing how "the council of the meta itself that is supposed to not exist anymore" is not a cogent topic of the meta itself. I'm also not seeing how you speaking as if from a position of authority is in any way appropriate.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
on top of that, im pretty sure the immortals question was more "will you follow OU on greninja, or will it be alright in stabmons" which should be eevee's choice, given its his metagame, and stabmons follows ou's ban list, barring a few lucky ubers. imo, if its an actual suspect for stabmons purposes, then we should all have a say, otherwise, if its something due to the outside, then eevee should be able to make a firm decision, and then if we disagree, then we should talk about it. otherwise we will be forced to suspect mediocre stuff in stabmons(which could take 2 weeks to a month), which could take us away from actual potential suspects in stabmons.

on top of that, greninja sucks in stabmons regardless, so its not like this decision was a bad one.

EV

Banned deucer.
on top of that, greninja sucks in stabmons regardless, so its not like this decision was a bad one.
It doesn't suck. Greninja's quite good from my experience. I've used a Dark Void set with Leftovers that sleeps foes and blasts them with an ever-increasing-in-power Water Spout. Its Speed is what sets it apart from other Dark-types as well, so it isn't completely outclassed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)