Scouting in the rain

SCOUTING IN THE RAIN

by:Shadow Scyther

Hi Smogon ^_^. I present you my most successful team yet. Like most of my teams it features weather. This time it is my all time favourite - offensive Rain featuring Politoed and co. You will see some typical OU Pokemon and sets but also some underrated Pokemon from the depths of UU and twists with movesets. I hope you enjoy reading this RMT and hopefully help me make it even better. If you read it please write a sentence or two to help me improve it. Thanks in advance.

Politoed (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 228 HP / 252 SAtk / 28 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]

A good rain team starts with Politoed. Before I made this set I experimented with lots of different sets on lots of my rain teams. First I tried the Scald defensive Toed which is good but not for this type of team. Scarf version seems really mediocre to me, sure the extra speed is nice but it really wasn't that powerful especially when you're locked in a coverage move and it lacks the bulk. I tried the standard Specs Toed which worked fine but like the Scarf version it lacks the bulk so I shifted the speed Evs into HP. I left 28 EVs to outspeed the standard Skarmory. Hydro Pump is obviously the main attack here. It is amazing how powerful this thing is. It OHKOs bulky +1 Volcarona, sp.defensive Scizor, Skarmory, +1 Reuniclus and many other Pokemon my team has problems with. It also dents things like Celebi and Ferrothorn doing about 50% and 45% respectively. Ice Beam is my main coverage move to hit Grass and Dragon Pokemon. Focus Blast is there mainly for Ferrothorn who already can't switch into Hydro Pump if it has taken prior damage because two Hydro Pumps kills it. Hidden Power Grass is there only for Gastrodoon (who is falling rapidly in usage) and Jellicent (who takes it like a boss). It is better to get locked into Hydro Pump when other water types switch in because lots of them have a secondary typing like Ground and others take almost the same damage as supper effective HP Grass. I am currently thinking switching either Focus Blast or HP Grass for Psychic to beat Toxicroak who gives my team troubles.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 220 HP / 252 SAtk / 36 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Recover
- Leaf Storm
- Earth Power

Celebi is my only support Pokemon with his useful Water and Electric resistances. Originally I had Ferrothorn here. It did it's job good and I still occasionally switch to Ferro but Celebi is more offensively oriented so I use it more. EVs are taken from Nasty Plot set but moves are different. Stealth Rocks are here to support the team by weakening the opponents team and it makes OHKOs and 2HKOs easier for the rest of the team. Recover for the survivability. Leaf Storm as a powerful STAB and Earth Power for coverage since HP Fire is a no no on a rain team. I am considering many changes on Celebi. I like the Thunder Wave support that Ferro gives so maybe T-Wave for Earth Power. Also I am thinking of replacing Leaf Storm with Giga Drain. Maybe a more defensive EV spread on it to take advantage of those key resistances that my team needs.

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Quick Attack
- Pursuit
- Bullet Punch

The classic Choice Band Scizor is chosen to be be the my first scouter. His amazing typing provides useful resistances and only one weakness which is halved in rain. Pretty straightforward tactic - spam U-turn or Bullet Punch depending on the opponent. Pursuit is to trap stuff like Latios which is very important because I don't like taking Specs. Draco Meteors and nothing can really OHKO it. Quick Attack is an interesting option and I switched it for Superpower to take better care of Volcarona and Thundurus (which is banned now). It is still useful every now and then so I am keeping it for now. Because I don't run Superpower there is no need to speed tie with other Scizor so last 8 EVs went into Sp.Def. 248 HP makes a magic Stealth Rock number and full Attack investment is to hit as hard as possible. Considering switching some of the HP EVs to Sp.Def to take special hits better. Help is appreciated.

Jolteon (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
- Thunder

My favourite Pokemon on this team and my second choiced scouter. At first this spot was taken by Scarf Rorom-W. Why I choosed Jolteon: Specs. Jolteon is faster than Scarf Rotom-W, Jolteon is immune to Electric attacks unlike Rotom-W and the raw power of specs Thunder which Rotom can't find a moveslot for. Someone may say that Rotom-W is bulkier. It sure is on the physical side but Rotom can only invest 12 HP EVs in HP because it needs the Sp.Atk EVs to damage something (because it is scarf) and the Speed EVs to be faster than +1 Dragonite so that bulk isn't really worth it. Volt Switch is for scouting and doing some decent damage. Thunder for clean up or if I need to eliminate something that poses a threat. HP Ice for unresisted coverage and Shadow Ball is there for some specific things (remember that resisted Thunder is more powerful than normal Shadow Ball).

Tornadus (M) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Hammer Arm
- Hurricane

My sweeper/scouter Tornadus. It replaced his bro Thundursu when it got banned. And to tell you the big bro from Ubers can be proud. Its ability Prankster doesn't do anything on this set but Tornadus with its Expert Belt sure does prank others in thinking that it runs Specs/Scarf. I run a mixed set with Hammer Arm over Focus Blast because I hate Blissey that much. Hurricane is to rape everything in its path and to get a confusion every now and then. U-Turn is for scouting and HP Ice is to get rid of the Dragons more effectively but I am considering replacing it for something better.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Water Pulse
- Thunder

Last but not least, the finisher of my team, Jirachi. I send it when I know nothing else can touch it or I see something that can't touch its Subs. EVs are standard, max speed to speed tie with positive base 100 and max HP to make those giant 101HP Subs so Blissey can't break it. Water Pulse and Thunder have great sinergy together and they work perfectly in rain and with Seren Grace to make the infamous ParaFusion combo to hax the opponent to death. The rain also halves its Fire weakness and makes it week only to Ground moves which Tornadus takes care of.

THE FINAL LOOK:

I hope you enjoyed reading this and sorry for my bad English it is not my native language.

Good team, nice core+ props to using uu pokemon in a way where they can easily beat some ou. one thing i see if dnite coming in after using something as death fodder, and your locked into a move like hydro. It can easily set up 1 or even 2 ddances and there goes a 5-0. Perhaps make the politoed more of a bulky set?

Thanks for the rate. When Dragonite switches in it goes for Dragon Dance (like you said) 99% of the time. So I switch Jolteon in who outspeeds the 212 Speed EV variant and KOs with HP Ice. I also make sure I get the rocks up. It is still a big threat to my team *cough every team cough* but I don't know what to change to be able to handle it better. I really like the power of the Modest 252sp.atk Specs Toed so I won't change that.

Nice offensive team. With only Tornadus as the Poke who's weak to SR, I still recommend a good spinner. Starmie can fit this role well. STAB Hydro Pump in the rain deals massive damage to anything that doesn't resist it. It also can make good use of the rain and spam Thunder. Since you have 3 Choiced Pokes, I think removing one of them will help you a lot since most people can just protect and see what you will lock yourself into then switch to a proper counter/check. It's either you make that Politoed bulkier or remove Jolteon and replace it with Starmie. Jolteon is still a good poke considering it's speed and high Sp. Atk stat so like orbpom123 said, use a bulkier Politoed.

This is a pretty well-built team you have. I do agree with pwnage77 about having a spinner though. My preference is Tentacruel because of it's ability rain dish giving it more survivability as well being a good defensive pokemon to have. Here is the set I use:

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Protect

Nice offensive team. With only Tornadus as the Poke who's weak to SR, I still recommend a good spinner. Starmie can fit this role well. STAB Hydro Pump in the rain deals massive damage to anything that doesn't resist it. It also can make good use of the rain and spam Thunder. Since you have 3 Choiced Pokes, I think removing one of them will help you a lot since most people can just protect and see what you will lock yourself into then switch to a proper counter/check. It's either you make that Politoed bulkier or remove Jolteon and replace it with Starmie. Jolteon is still a good poke considering it's speed and high Sp. Atk stat so like orbpom123 said, use a bulkier Politoed.
taking out CB scizor for starmie would result in him being walled by chansey/blissey. this team is pretty solid though, tested it out myself and it has won many battles.

Thanks for the rates guys.

I tried Starmie and it didn't work as well you would think. Starmie must run Hydro Pump, Recover and Rapid Spin so I only have one free spot. No matter what I chose I get walled but something my team has already problems with. If I run Ice Beam or Thunder Gastrodon walls it, If I run HP Grass/Grass Knot Dnite can set up on it. Tentacruel on the other hand is to defensive for my team and my team doesn't really benefit from Toxic Spikes support.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ok, your team is EXTREMELY weak to Chansey. If you lose your Scizor, then you've essentially lost against that Chansey. Superpower doesn't even OHKO full health Chansey, and if the Chansey is already in, it can just Softboiled up and it can take another one. Assuming the Chansey user is using proper hazards support (which is likely because Chansey would be on a stall team), it can just Seismic Toss your team until you lose. Jirachi isn't killing Chansey anytime soon, as a +6 Thunder does 31.39%-36.93%. Your Tornadus's Hammer Arm does 36.79%-43.61%, so that doesn't deal with Chansey at all. Specs Politoed Hydro Pump does 22.73%-26.99%. Celebi's Leaf Storm does a pitiful 19.18%-22.59%.

After making all those calcs from each of your Pokemon's strongest moves, it is obvious that you need another physical attacker. I suggest using a Terrakion in the place of Jolteon, in particular the scarfer. The set would be:

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Sacred Sword

This set would ease your team's Chansey weakness significantly while adding a great revenge killer, notably outspeeding +2 Cloyster.

Also, I think your offensive core is good, but it could really use Spikes and Stealth Rocks support. Therefore, I recommend specially defensive Ferrothorn over Jirachi. This would also ease your weakness to Latios.

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

And lastly, I think your Tornadus should change to a Specs variant. Your team supports specs Tornadus well with the changes to your team I made. The set would be:

Tornadus (M) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- U-turn
Hurricane hits like a truck, Focus Blast hits those pesky steels, Hidden Power Grass hits Gastrodon, and U-turn is for scouting initiative.

Anyways, take these changes into consideration, and good luck!

Ok, your team is EXTREMELY weak to Chansey. If you lose your Scizor, then you've essentially lost against that Chansey. Superpower doesn't even OHKO full health Chansey, and if the Chansey is already in, it can just Softboiled up and it can take another one. Assuming the Chansey user is using proper hazards support (which is likely because Chansey would be on a stall team), it can just Seismic Toss your team until you lose. Jirachi isn't killing Chansey anytime soon, as a +6 Thunder does 31.39%-36.93%. Your Tornadus's Hammer Arm does 36.79%-43.61%, so that doesn't deal with Chansey at all. Specs Politoed Hydro Pump does 22.73%-26.99%. Celebi's Leaf Storm does a pitiful 19.18%-22.59%.

After making all those calcs from each of your Pokemon's strongest moves, it is obvious that you need another physical attacker. I suggest using a Terrakion in the place of Jolteon, in particular the scarfer. The set would be:

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Sacred Sword

This set would ease your team's Chansey weakness significantly while adding a great revenge killer, notably outspeeding +2 Cloyster.

Also, I think your offensive core is good, but it could really use Spikes and Stealth Rocks support. Therefore, I recommend specially defensive Ferrothorn over Jirachi. This would also ease your weakness to Latios.

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

And lastly, I think your Tornadus should change to a Specs variant. Your team supports specs Tornadus well with the changes to your team I made. The set would be:

Tornadus (M) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- U-turn
Hurricane hits like a truck, Focus Blast hits those pesky steels, Hidden Power Grass hits Gastrodon, and U-turn is for scouting initiative.

Anyways, take these changes into consideration, and good luck!
taking out scizor would result in terrakion smashing him to pieces.

I am currently testing SubPunch Breloom over Celebi and it works good so far. It has great typing, ability to absorb status, and a 100% accurate sleep move. ONly problem is the lack of Stealth Rocks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)