SPOILERS! Scarlet & Violet Leaks Thread - Data/Mechanics

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just saw in reddit that Centro is detailing the "patch notes" for 1.0.1 and multiple times they state that certain pokemon learn certain moves "via Move Tutor." This is the first ove heard of an actual move tutor. Can anyone confirm such a thing exists rn?
There is discussion some pages back, the people doing the leaking and compiling are in this thread and talking :) its an unknown table of moves, they might be raid moves, second table for egg moves, move tutors, something else. We don't fully know.

Just saw in reddit that Centro is detailing the "patch notes" for 1.0.1 and multiple times they state that certain pokemon learn certain moves "via Move Tutor." This is the first ove heard of an actual move tutor. Can anyone confirm such a thing exists rn?
There is discussion some pages back, the people doing the leaking and compiling are in this thread and talking :) its an unknown table of moves, they might be raid moves, second table for egg moves, move tutors, something else. We don't fully know.
Move tutor is essentially a placeholder for "method that isn't TM"
I've found mentions of someone being able to re-teach Sing to Skeledirge, and Sunny Day to Scream Tail. So the "Unknown Moves" appear to just be relearnable moves like I previously mentioned.
They are relearn moves.

I'm very curious about this table, especially since it seems to be fairly small.

Also curious about Male-only mons and Genderless mons having entries in their egg move table! If it's for raid encounters they could've done it consistently since Gen 5 because there's always been non-inheritance methods of getting Egg Moves (Dream World, DexNav, Island Scan and Max Raids to name a few). So it's nice to see them finally bite on it.

I disappear for a few hours and come back to 25 unread pages lol. I want to bring up some interesting new developments that seem to have slipped under the radar.

Scovillain: Stomping Tantrum

Scovillain had no way to hit Fire types with its level-up movepool but thankfully it was given Stomping Tantrum through TM. It's no Earthquake or Earth Power but it should be good enough to get the job done since its Attack is just as high as its Sp.Atk. Admittedly it suffers from "we have a Venusaur at home" syndrome but with how powerful Sun HO is looking to be and with many of the top Chlorophyll users absent, Scovillain may yet find a niche.

Kilowattrel: Thunder, Weather Ball

Kilowattrel is looking like a great addition to rain teams as it has access to 100% accurate STAB Hurricanes and Thunders as well as having Volt Absorb and Weather Ball. Rain may not look as spicy as Sun right now but don't sleep on it or this mon for that matter.

Cetitan: Belly Drum, Earthquake
Belly Drum is an insane addition on a Slush Rush sweeper especially when you consider Cetitan's natural bulk + the defence buff from snow + Aurora Veil. Earthquake is an essential addition to hit Steels which was a concern when looking at its level-up movepoo.l

Rabsca: Revival Blessing, Trick Room

What makes Rabsca stand out is that it's the only Pokemon with the combination of Revival Blessing and Trick Room. Being able to revive a sweeper or another TR setter can be huge with such a volatile playstyle. Its stats aren't the best but I do believe this combination will give it some form of viability however small. Trick Room in general benefits from a more HO metagame anyway.

+1 252 SpA Houndoom Fire Blast vs. -1 252 HP / 252+ SpD Krookodile: 346-408 (67.3 - 79.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
granted earthquake will almost certainly instakill it, but theres nothing stopping chi-yu from tossing a fire blast on the switch and beat it at round 2. its not like ting-lu has reliable recovery.
The Ruin abilities are just Intimidate clones that also debuff allies, right? If so, then this calc isn't very useful, since Chi-Yu is probably not gonna set up right in front of a mon that one-shots it.

Cyclizar moveset ideas?
Shed Tail
3 filler moves
Max HP Max Speed
That’s really all you need on it until Shed Tail is banned.
I wonder what happenes when you use Revival blessing on a Pokemon with Revival Blessing :smogthink:
You could probably use that but you’d keep your PP usage and Item (or lack there of from Knock Off) when you revive. So you can’t do this infinitely.

Well if it is 50% I would consider that pretty ridiculous by any rational standard. You talk as though Sheer Force isn't one of the strongest abilities in the game. It made Nidoking viable in OU lol.
Reality and theory don't usually converge in Pokémon.

Sheer Force is one of the best abilities in the game because it doesn't need any kind of planning. Sheer Force works. It's a 30% boost to your moves, as I said, from turn 1 to turn 50. It doesn't matter. Every Earth Power -or whatever- you use with Sheer Power, is 30% boosted and also negating the damaging effects of Life Orb. Calcs and all that are great, but what truly matters is what can and what can't be done easily, and how reliably it hits.

For Kingambits to receive a boost equal to Sheer Force, 3 mons in your team must be defeated. This, while said, may not sound as much if we don't pause and try to understand the authentic implications of this. I'll repeat it: for Kingambits to receive a boost equal to Sheer Force, 3 Pokémon in your team should've fainted. First, this is worse in every single sense you can imagine. Nidoking, Lando, etc., doesn't need any condition to get this bonus. It's there from the get go. Secondly, in a real battle scenario, your game plan -and win condition- changes depending on MU. What this means is the following: you aren't using Kingambit's ability in every battle. In some battles Kingambit may be an early sack; in others, you can't afford to lose 2 or 3 Pokémon, not even in the late game. What this means when we translate it's meaning again is the following: not only does Kingambits need half your team to be fainted to get a truly great bonus -not broken, just great-, but you can't afford to get this bonus in every battle. Comparatively, Intimidate, Sheer Force, Tinted Lens, Levitate, Moxie, Beast Boost or Regenerator, but I'd keep going with less broken -yet great- abilities, are there from the beginning to the end, and all of them share the same crucial trait: are non-circumstantial. They need no support and they need no gameplan involved to work. Its outcome is always the same and it's always fulfilled by just sending the mon out.

Now, in this context of true battle scenarios, do you think it's still broken that a Pokémon like Kingambit can potentially, in the best case scenario and against all odds possible, come to the battlefield as a last mon scenario, at 100% HP with no hazards nor previous chip, get a 50% maximum boost -which equals a Choice Band- and put X work as a 50 base speed mon -even if it has suckers, which relies in prediction-? I don't think it's broken at all. What are you getting in most cases? A 20 to 30% boost to put some work in one, maybe 2 mons? What are you sometimes-sometimes not (most of the times not) getting in the best of the bests of the bests cases? A Choice Band? Ok, it's great, it should be like that for those rare cases in which you play all your battle with 5 mons and Kingambit is not only your last mon sent, but also the one that can make a comeback out of 50 base speed and prediction alone.

Calcs show how powerful a Choice Band provided by 5 fainted members from a base 135 Attack plus Life Orb/Black Glasses/heck, another Choice Band is, but they don't show how often this is going to occur, and the impact of it ocurring in those cases isn't even enough to outclass mons that already exist and aren't dependant on any shenanigan to achieve the same results.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)