Pokémon Runerigus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warning before post, this is my favorite new pokemon so expect bias. This mon has been doing wonders for me as a lead, maybe wonders is a bit of a stretch but it gets up rocks nigh-every time with some extra hp leftover for a will-o-wisp, eq, or protect to get some hp back. I have been playing around with a Runerigus that looks like this
Runerigus @ Rocky Helmet/leftovers
Ability: Wandering Spirit
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Night Shade
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rock
This specific one can ALWAYS take an icicle crash from a galarian-darmanitan, even banded
(calc for those curious: 252+ Atk Choice Band Darmanitan-Galar Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Runerigus: 270-318 (84.3 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO yes that is adamant)
so you will almost always get rocks up unless some real demonic stuff is in front of you, having two immunities means that it can be a useful way to waste turns on dynamaxes(max lightning from dragapult being the main one off the top of my head). Overall I think the mon is solid but probably not OU worthy. I do think it will be viable in the tier as it is nearly un-OHKOable. Also he looks really cool.
why don't you just use body press instead of night shade... you have a max defense build.

wandering spirit may be good if you meed sandaconda or coallosal.
If you switch out and maintain the ability of course when sending it out later.
Could be handy mon on ocassions.

Looks rock on purpose maybe to make oponets forget about it immunity?

Imagine it with Glare? Accel Rock? it has stats like Pallosand begged for.

Sets up entry hazards nice, Dragon tail would have been better then Brutal swing here.
When would ANY of this be useful???

why don't you just use body press instead of night shade... you have a max defense build.
Mostly for flying and levitate pokemon, corviknight takes a good hit from it and it ignores stat boosts. I do understand why I would want body press but I already have that coverage on the team that I am currently running this runerigus on. Thank you though

Hi. I'm new to Pokemon. I would like to use this as my main Pokemon for my team. However, I don't know who else would be good with it. I play 3 vs 3 locally with my friend. I don't know how to phrase this. Thanks for help.

hey Corwinmenden this subforum is for OU which is slightly different from 3v3, you can check out the subforum for 3v3 here if you want. As for your question I'm not sure what could be a good teammate for Runegrigus as I feel like teams in 3v3 are constructed pretty differently from the OU teams I'm used to making. Maybe asking in this thread (also in the 3v3 subforum) will be better off! Have a nice day and welcome to Smogon :)

So I tried this on my team for a bit. Honestly, I don't think this thing is nearly as good as regular Cofagrigus. For a defensive pokemon, the ground typing doesn't really overlap great with the ghost typing. And now it is weak to G-Darm and all the crazy water STAB moves. It should be a great defensive wall in this meta but its typing makes it pretty vulnerable. Cofagrigus is much better able to take a wider variety of hits. And even though the attack focus on Runerigus seems like cool development in theory, the meta is already geared toward checking physical attackers and it also makes it more vulnerable to burn than its cousin.

The only two things I found I actually liked better for Runerigus were the electric immunity (including prevalent thunder wave) and access to Stealth Rock. The problem was the 3 added weaknesses made it very hard for it to survive long enough to do enough of anything. There were too many threats it just can't switch into, even with 3 immunities.

I'm actually using Runerigus, testing it a lot with different build and attacks.
I'm not a pro but I'm playing it as +def-spd and boosted hp/def ev. After one use of iron guard, body press will kill almost everything not resistant, which makes him a deadly sweeper on trick room. The weakness are not a huge problem since phisical dmg will be meaningless after 1 iron guard.
The ability is wonderful, it could totally reverse a match and cover element weakness. I got hurt by a water attack, Runerigus took damage - THEN Runerigus stole Water Absorb from the enemy and then he got healed for the same damage - making that water attack useless and eventually a second one as well. As a plus, now Runerigus had an immunity over a weakness.
The ability is so good that you might wanna try a team with Runerigus hitting your teammate for the ability, that would be awesome and unpredictable.

I'm actually using Runerigus, testing it a lot with different build and attacks.
I'm not a pro but I'm playing it as +def-spd and boosted hp/def ev. After one use of iron guard, body press will kill almost everything not resistant, which makes him a deadly sweeper on trick room. The weakness are not a huge problem since phisical dmg will be meaningless after 1 iron guard.
The ability is wonderful, it could totally reverse a match and cover element weakness. I got hurt by a water attack, Runerigus took damage - THEN Runerigus stole Water Absorb from the enemy and then he got healed for the same damage - making that water attack useless and eventually a second one as well. As a plus, now Runerigus had an immunity over a weakness.
The ability is so good that you might wanna try a team with Runerigus hitting your teammate for the ability, that would be awesome and unpredictable.
This is actually really interesting. It's also ironic since I already tried running a semi-Trick Room team with Runerigus and dropped it for not being good enough on defense to survive a lot of games. Admittedly, I never thought of combining Iron Defense + Body Press. Are you confirming that Body Press is indeed boosted by defensive buffs and not attack buffs? When I looked into it earlier, there did seem to be some confusion on whether or not it was boosted by defensive buffs, attack buffs, or neither.

Having said that, regular Cofragrigus can do the same Iron Defense + Body Press thing and it might make a better Trick Room threat since it could mix the physical Body Press with a special attack. I guess I'll have to test it.

Last edited:

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I got hurt by a water attack, Runerigus took damage - THEN Runerigus stole Water Absorb from the enemy and then he got healed for the same damage - making that water attack useless and eventually a second one as well. As a plus, now Runerigus had an immunity over a weakness.
Wait, elaborate please. You got hit by a Water move, took damage, then Wandering Spirit activated and stole Water Absorb, and then Water Absorb instantly activated?

Wait, elaborate please. You got hit by a Water move, took damage, then Wandering Spirit activated and stole Water Absorb, and then Water Absorb instantly activated?
Considering this person just mentioned teammates at the end, perhaps they are referring to a double battle in which they got hit by the water type attack, got the ability, then got hit by another water type attack and got hp back. This is only a guess as I know for sure that it does not give you hp back right away when you get hit on cartridge at least.

Considering this person just mentioned teammates at the end, perhaps they are referring to a double battle in which they got hit by the water type attack, got the ability, then got hit by another water type attack and got hp back. This is only a guess as I know for sure that it does not give you hp back right away when you get hit on cartridge at least.
nope, it was on the single attack. Super effective water attack, got water absorb AND a good chunk of damage back

This is actually really interesting. It's also ironic since I already tried running a semi-Trick Room team with Runerigus and dropped it for not being good enough on defense to survive a lot of games. Admittedly, I never thought of combining Iron Defense + Body Press. Are you confirming that Body Press is indeed boosted by defensive buffs and not attack buffs? When I looked into it earlier, there did seem to be some confusion on whether or not it was boosted by defensive buffs, attack buffs, or neither.

Having said that, regular Cofragrigus can do the same Iron Defense + Body Press thing and it might make a better Trick Room threat since it could mix the physical Body Press with a special attack. I guess I'll have to test it.
The damage calculators online fail with body press. it is indeed defence based, I'd say it straight uses defense instead of attack so you might wanna switch def and atk on calculators to see it's possible damage

I come here to learn and share factual information on this forum and the associated discord server. If you go through all of the post history from Matleo you'll find that almost every one of their posts in this subforum is asking about why things don't get moves, stats, or abilities, as well as mindless babbling, irrelevant (mis)information, and poorly thought out gimmick movesets.

Smogon has been the place for information on Pokemon team building and other guidance as long as I can remember.

I don't get why this is still going on. There are many others who feel the same as I do on this one.
I for one see his posts as meta-dimensional, high concept art that we are too primitive to comprehend, such as his ingenious idea, Outrage Rest-Talk Copperajah.

But enough about that. I have a general question about Runerigus.

In the past in Singles there has been cores with Cofag + Slaking. Since Runerigus is ostensibly superior to Cofag in utility with T Spikes and SR is there some way to set up some kind of gimmicky Runerigus + Slaking/Regigigas core? Wandering Spirit is a very useful ability potentially, and I was thinking where Runerigus has Eject Button, switches into Slaking who has Pursuit as to discourage the enemy from switching out so Slaking can get the ability. I'm just spitballing right now but I feel like this has the potential to be a really hilarious team in National dex OU.

I think runerigus could set up trick room, so... do you guys have any sets?
I tried this and it was bad. The ground typing on Runerigus makes it nearly impossible for it to survive long enough to do anything against many of the top threats in the meta. It loses to G-Darm, Dracovish, and even is weak to the grass type moves that are meant check pokemon like Seismitoad, who in turn check Dracovish. My advice is to use regular Cofagrigus since it has a better typing.

In the past in Singles there has been cores with Cofag + Slaking. Since Runerigus is ostensibly superior to Cofag in utility with T Spikes and SR is there some way to set up some kind of gimmicky Runerigus + Slaking/Regigigas core? Wandering Spirit is a very useful ability potentially, and I was thinking where Runerigus has Eject Button, switches into Slaking who has Pursuit as to discourage the enemy from switching out so Slaking can get the ability. I'm just spitballing right now but I feel like this has the potential to be a really hilarious team in National dex OU.
I did this in doubles once on another account. I used Cofagrigus and Assault Vest Slaking. I had Furry Cutter on Slaking just so I could attack the Cofagrigus for minimal damage and get the Mummy ability. It made a rather hilarious anti-lead duo. But that was doubles. I never saw it in singles. As I said above, the biggest problem I have with Runerigus is it just has too many defensive weaknesses for this meta game right now. If you could find a way to make it work with regular Cofagrigus, that would probably be superior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)