Gen 4 Ribbon Reef [DPP OU]

DnB

#DnB4608, its way easier on discord :>
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi, after some time, I thought, it's time for another RMT.

I built this team about a year ago with a good friend of mine. We were both bored and I just wanted to use Sub Machamp + Zapdos, because they work quite well with each other. I used the team in many tournaments and roomtours and I'm quite surprised how well it did, but it just needs some refinement.

Zapdos @ Lum Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature

- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Lead Zapdos is just a great mon. It has a great matchups against many slower leads, although it can't prevent rocks that good, it at least damages something heavily and starts to soften up the enemy, so Machamp and Gyara can go ham. I chose Lum Berry as the item to bluff a choice set and prevent annoying Roserades from sleeping me. Its also nice against Rachi or Breloom in the mid game and I never really missed the power of Magnet or Life Orb. I event went for some HP EV's (can't remember why exactly but we calced a lot around, so I'm sure it has its uses lol). Moves are pretty much standard. HP Ice is kinda needed for Roserade and DNite, even though HP Grass would be nice for Swampert. But the opponent can never be sure which moves I run, so most of the time they just switch around, trying to scout if I have Heat Wave and which Hidden Power I run.

Machamp @ Leftovers
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 128 HP / 248 Atk / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature

- Substitute
- Dynamic Punch
- Payback
- Stone Edge

This thing is the king. Zapdos lures in special walls and U-Turns on them, resulting often in a free Sub for Machamp, making it one of the most threatening mons in the meta. Dynamic Punch is just stupid, the Confusion gives me a chance to hax physical walls like Skarm or Hippo down and Payback + Stone Edge allows me to hit everything at least for neutral damage. It is important though to not reveal Sub on Machamp too early. Sure, I could go for it early on against Blissey or Clefable, but it is way more punishing to bring it in later in the game, when the opponent is already weakened. Most offensive Teams don't really have good switch-ins and even stallteams struggle a lot, especially when Dynamic Punch does its job. The only real answer I sometimes face is physical defensive Jirachi (Wish + CM), but even that doesn't like to be confused.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 156 HP / 72 Atk / 96 Def / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature

- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Protect

Gyara is just insane at the moment. You basically have to run Scarf Flygon/Rachi/Lati with electric coverage, just to not get completely destroyed by this thing (even though I dont do it myself lol...). After testing, I found that Bulky Protect Gyara fits best. It can take a hit or two and still hits back really hard after a boost. I started to love Protect on Gyara. Typical scenario: I get Gyara in on something that can't hurt it and I just click DD. My opponent goes into Rachi/Flygon to revenge me, and here comes Protect into play. I can scout which move they go for, normally Thunder Punch and now I create a 5050 situation. Do they play it save and go for Thunder Punch again, giving me the option to go into Zong/Champ to take advantage of that, or do they switch-out, trying to predict my switch. But the greatest feeling is just, when they go for U-Turn, because they expected me to switch, so I can go for the 2nd DD and win the game.
Protect is also pretty good against mons with explosion, I never have to fear things like Heatran and it's just a great feeling, when they click boom und you just Protect in their face.

Starmie @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Natural Cure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk

- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Colbur Starmie is another Set I started to like. It got more common in the last months, but it is just great to be able to Spin against Scarf TTar, allowing Zapdos/Gyara/Weavile to switch around more easily. Sometimes I'm not sure if a bulky spread would just be better though, even max SpAtk Starmie is kinda weak, but sometimes the extra punch is just needed for some things. Also I just could not fit Recover on it, BoltBeam Coverage is too important on this team.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Atk / 48 Def / 88 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe

- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Explosion

This spot got switched around so many times, I just could not find a Rocker that fits into the team. Bronzong though provides great defensive utility, is super bulky and can take something dangerous out with boom. Gyro and EQ are also needed for things like Dnite or Rachi und boom is my only way to kill Gyara, if it decides to Set Up on Weavile, but if Zong is already weakened, its just GG...

Weavile @ Expert Belt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature

- Ice Shard
- Pursuit
- Low Kick
- Night Slash

I just love Weavile in DPP. It is a really underrated threat in the tier and really outperformed Scarf TTar, which I ran in this spot in the first place. Weavile outspeeds Scarf TTar and everything else without a Scarf in the tier. EBelt is just a great item, many people just assume it's banded when they don't see the LO Damage, allowing Weavile to get another kill, after Pursuiting something. It also gives me great Priority in the form of Ice Shard, allowing me to revenge Flygon/Duggy or Dnite. Night Slash usually performs better than Ice Punch, because it also hits Waters and Rachi.

Although I used the team many times in tournament, I couldn't find any good replays, except 1:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4ou-973351772
Tournament Match in a german team tour against Daup, which shows pretty well how the team functions. From the moment I saw Blissey I waited for the right moment to bring Champ in against it and secure the game, which worked out pretty well, Champ got me that important Blissey kill and weakend Rachi so Gyara could sweep in the end.

But yea, I also know that the team has many flaws. It relies too much on Bronzong taking all the hits and I'm super weak against other Gyaras, but I just could not find a good solution, that's why I'm hoping some Smogon DPP guys can help me out :)

I hope you liked the team and can give me some suggestions on how to improve it.

Shoutouts to the german community, especially max & felix :*
and ofc my boy alex :*

Hey man,
his team looks great. I love dpp and Zapdos in my opinion is one of the best pokemon.

You have a good structure and everything thought. I like the Weavile set that seems forgotten or ignored in the tier and is a dangerous poke. You can remove things like Latias, Gar, Starmie. I find the option of EBelt interesting, pretending to be CB, you are not afraid of getting caught in a single move. You can remove both Scarf ttar and DD. It makes easy what for others is impossible.

Now going back to your lead Zapdos if you really care about those annoying Roserades with Sleep powder or Stun you can leave it like that but with HP Fly on Ice. You are faster and you do more damage. It can also be useful for Champ, Loom or Hera. Another option may be the set specs with Sleep talk if you intuit Spore Breloom at some point.

Zapdos @ Lum Berry
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Flying]

Zapdos @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Flying
- Sleep Talk
- U-turn

wearing Protect in gyara as the last slot can be helpful if you predict explosion but it can also be a nightmare of free DD or SD. I find it useful to wear SE in place for other Gyara or Nite. Otherwise having only Waterfall and EQ I don't think it's a threat.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 156 HP / 72 Atk / 96 Def / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)