Rain Drops Keep Falling On My Head (Peaked #17 OU)

Welcome the OU RMT of the most successful team I have ever created, reaching spot 17 under the name Cool Joe. This is the most extremely average rain team I've ever made, but damn does it work well. So anyways, here is the team building process.

I wanted a rain team, so obviously I started off with the good ol' bouncing toed.

From there, I decided I wanted the champions of rain from BW1, the amazing combo of Scizor and Rotom-W.

I wanted a dragon, and before making this team, I had scarcely used Dragonite because of his rather low speed compared to other dragons, but I was beginning to see just why people once called for his banning, and he did get benefit from the rain stopping sand and hail damage.

At this point my team was very slow besides my scarfer, and although I did have two priority users, I wanted more speed, and the use of Dragonite does warrant a spinner, so Starmie was the next logical choice.

Now I needed a steel, and what steel is there that fits better on a rain team than everyones favorite durian, Ferrothorn.

A Gastrodon was suggested over Starmie, and this was a very smart choice, as it did a lot to fix my team's problems with fast Volt-Switching and made my team a lot bulkier on the special side, since Gastrodon absorbs opposing water attacks and can even stop most variants of Thundurus-T and Keldeo. However when I gave up my spinner I knew I would need to change my dragon as well since there is little reason to use Dragonite any longer if I was going to be doing nothing to protect my Multiscale. So I looked for a dragon that wasn't SR weak and could handle Ferrothorn, and found myself a CB Haxorus that fit the bill.

Politoed @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Protect
- Ice Beam

As my team was very offensive, I deviated from my usual bulky Specstoed, and ran a physically defensive Politoed to try to keep it in the fight longer, and hopefully protect me from opposing Scizors. Scald is obvious, with good power under rain and burns potentially bringing Scizors and incoming Tyranitars to their knees, Toxic for bulky waters and just as a blanket move to hit any switch-ins like a Latias trying to set up. Protect for scouting and Toxic-Stall, and finally Ice Beam so I'm not total dragon set-up fodder.

Haxorus @ Choice Band
Trait: Mold Breaker
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Dual Chop
- Superpower
- Aqua Tail

Haxorus with a Choice Band brings incredible and undeniable power to the field with no set-up whatsoever. Outrage 2HKO's almost the entire non-steel metagame, and Superpower along with a rain-boosted Aqua Tail take care of what Outrage doesn't. One of Haxorus' most important roles is destroying opposing weather starters and decimating Ferrothorn with his insane Superpower. Dual Chop felt like a great choice for this team as it kills those pesky Focus Sash Breloom leads that this team has trouble with and it breaks subs and continues doing damage afterwards, which is helpful on a team with no phasing moves, especially in the case of Kyurem-B, which Haxorus outspeeds and can OHKO though a substitute with the prior damage of SR and the 25% lost from substitute.

Previously Dragonite:
Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- ExtremeSpeed
- Waterfall

Dragonite is such a versatile pokemon with this set, being able to fulfill the roles of revenge killer with ExtremeSpeed, a breaker with its raw power off the bat or a set-up sweeper with the awesome Dragon Dance. I prefer Outrage's raw power for a STAB over Dragon Claw and I prefer Waterfall's flinch chance and accuracy over Aqua Tail's power. Waterfall works great in the rain, allowing Dragonite to muscle past some of it's usual checks/counters like Hippowdon, Gliscor, Landorus, and even Air Balloon Heatran.

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Trick

Nearly always my lead, Rotom-W is great at obtaining momentum throughout the game with Volt Switch, and is an amazing rain abuser with access to both Hydro Pump and Thunder. The Scarf gives him the speed he needs, and Drizzle gives him the power he needs. Trick is great at ruining his regular counters such as Ferrothorn, Amoonguss, and Blissey. I forewent a Hidden Power to give him Thunder, as also fulfills a role of being a secondary win condition by being a great late game cleaner when the opposing team has been weakened and grass and dragon types are either worn down or knocked out.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Gyro Ball

Ferrothorn is my catch all defensive mon that also sets up rocks and T-Waves anything that I'm not sure how to take care of. With this mixed defensive set he's ready to take on a lot of things, specifically the Lati twins and anything that's fast and spams electric attacks. He really is the glue of this team, stopping what threatens it most, and putting up rocks and paralyzing what I can't outspeed, allowing my offensively inclined team to beat the snot out of other offensive teams. Thunder wave serves this team a lot better than spikes, and I prefer gyro ball to power whip for taking out the lati twins. Leech Seed + Leftovers gives him real staying power against set-mons that would try to force their way through him.

Scizor @ Flying Gem
Trait: Technician
EVs: 152 HP / 252 Atk / 104 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Acrobatics
- Superpower

With the addition of Gastrodon and the loss of Dragonite, my previous set on Scizor didn't seem to fit with the team as well any longer, and I needed something that didn't take as long to set up, and that could muscle past it's counter's better since Haxorus doesn't like switching to hazards repeatedly, and I decided on this set which out speeds many of the bulky waters that force Scizor out. After a SD, there isn't much out there that isn't completely destroyed by a BP, a Superpower or a Flying Gem boosted, Technician Boosted Acrobatics, save for a few bulky ground types which this team has little trouble dealing with. This set catches people off guard almost every game, as it is easy to bluff a CB, especially when running alongside my scarf Rotom-W, and Acrobatics is a rather unexpected coverage move. I've killed more Conkeldurr's, Keldeo's, Forretress' and Celebi's who thought they were switching into a choice locked BP on the switch with Acrobatics than I can even count. I'm very, very happy with this switch.

Previous Set:
Scizor @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower

I'm running a very unorthodox Scizor set, that catches a lot of people off guard, as most expect Bandzor when seeing Rotom W and Scizor on the same team. This Scizor is best late game, but can still perform well mid-game with good prediction. He uses his great bulk to set up a few SD's before, to his opponents shock and dismay, he uses Roost, often resulting in a ragequit. BP for obvious reasons, and I chose Superpower, despite not getting STAB or a Technician boost, for taking out what a +4 to +6 BP can't, mostly steels.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 172 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Gastrodon has been a great addition to this team, and adds an incredible amount of bulk with how hard it is to 2HKO alongside it's instant recovery. Scald and Toxic are some very useful tools on Gastrodon allowing me to distribute the correct status move to fit whatever pokemon, especially alongside Ferrothorn's T-Wave. I run a mixed set with Earthquake as I am beginning to notice a great increase in CM SubRachi, and Earthquake makes mincemeat of it. Gastrodon really takes care of this team's previous problems with Fast Electric attackers, especially Volt-Switchers, opposing rain teams, and most Keldeo sets.

Previously Starmie:
Starmie @ Expert Belt
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Rapid Spin

Bluffing Choice with an Expert belt is a ton of fun and usually nets me one kill a match as Starmie is fast enough to bluff Scarf and strong enough with E-belt to bluff Specs. Starmie is very useful for spinning away nasty hazards that would hurt my team, or worse, break Dragonite's Multiscale, and is still a formidable offensive force, that can revenge kill tons of pokemon. Hydro Pump for that shiny red nuke button under the rain, then I packed the great bolt-beam combo, and the obvious rapid spin for team support.

IMPORTABLE

Politoed @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Protect
- Ice Beam

Haxorus @ Choice Band
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Dual Chop
- Superpower
- Aqua Tail

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Trick

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip

Scizor @ Flying Gem
EVs: 152 HP / 252 Atk / 104 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Acrobatics
- Superpower

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 172 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Earthquake
- Toxic

CONCLUSION
I'm looking forward to hearing any feedback, and please feel welcome to use this team, and give any suggestions you'd like. Thanks for reading!​

Last edited:
Hey.
Quick problem with your team, it hates thundurus-t. It can force a pokemon out, agility, and proceed to wreck your team. Even ferrothorn isn't safe with focus miss. I'd recommend gastrodon, but not sure where I would replace it.
EDIT-Also yeah, replace thunderbolt with thunder. If you can accomodate latias, that too counters thundurus-t. Revenge killing with mamoswine is also great.

Hey man, nice team! It looks pretty solid but I do see a problem, and that is pokemon with the move Volt Switch such as Thundurus-T, Jolteon and Rotom-Wash. So basically momentum grabbing Electric types because they have many opportunities to Volt Switch on your water types, and Scizor can't do too much to them. Your only safe switch in is Ferrothorn, who can easily be forced out by Fire or Fighting types. I recommend what Kingler12345 said by adding a Gastrodon over Starmie. This helps your weaknesses to Momentum grabbing pokemon. Although losing a fast spinner sucks, you now have a pokemon to deal with a ton of Rain threats, which Ferrothorn was your only true answer to. Nice team, I hope I helped!

Scotti

we back.
Hey man, nice team! It looks pretty solid but I do see a problem, and that is pokemon with the move Volt Switch such as Thundurus-T, Jolteon and Rotom-Wash. So basically momentum grabbing Electric types because they have many opportunities to Volt Switch on your water types, and Scizor can't do too much to them. Your only safe switch in is Ferrothorn, who can easily be forced out by Fire or Fighting types. I recommend what Kingler12345 said by adding a Gastrodon over Starmie. This helps your weaknesses to Momentum grabbing pokemon. Although losing a fast spinner sucks, you now have a pokemon to deal with a ton of Rain threats, which Ferrothorn was your only true answer to. Nice team, I hope I helped!
I think you should keep Starmie since 1) Hazards could get annoying 2) Dragonite will lose his multiscale if your opponent gets Stealth Rocks down. Anyway I think you should use this Dragonite set

Dragonite @ Life Orb
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 SAtk / 76 Atk / 180 Spd
Mild Nature
- Hurricane
- Thunder
- Superpower
- ExtremeSpeed

With this set you actually abuse the Rain for Dragonites liking, also you still keep fast Priority with Extremespeed. This set would help you alot, because its hard for your opponent to come in on Hurricane because of how much damage it does, and you hit most pokemon in the OU Tier. You could also run Lum Berry or Expert Belt if you want to bluff like a Choice Band set by using Superpower and Extremespeed. Some people may say change Superpower to EQ or something however since Hurricane and Thunder are special it won't matter that much.

Thanks for the rates everyone, and I honestly cannot believe that I've been using thunderbolt on Starmie for almost two weeks now, as I reconstructed this team from memory and old saved replays after my old computer that held both this team and my ladder screenshots broke down. (Still working on getting my hands on a hard drive adapter to recover all my music, work, and of course, PS teams.) But anyways, I made the obvious switch to Thunder on Starmie. I was thinking about how I could best work in a Gastrodon, as that would allow my Ferrothorn to be more physically defensive, and stop the likes of Thundurus-T, and help deal with Rotom-W and Jolteon, although the latter two aren't nearly as big of a problem as you might expect, as Jolteon is outsped and OHKO'd by Rotom-W's rain boosted Hydro Pump (it really is quite frail), and Rotom-W's trying to stay in on Ferrothorn in order to Will-O-Wisp it, and then getting T-Waved, making it much more manageable.

As Ferrothorn and Volt Switchers are this teams biggest problem, I was thinking about how best to deal with the volt switchers, and I believe the best way would of course be, as Trevorpoke and Kingler said, by adding Gastrodon over Starmie, but without a spinner, Dragonite becomes much less useful, so I would also want to switch him out for something not SR weak that could beat ferrothorn, and I decided on this combo:

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
EVs: 84 Def / 252 HP / 172 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Toxic

Haxorus (F) @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Dual Chop
- Low Kick
- Aqua Tail

Haxorus is without a doubt my favorite fifth gen mon, and would seem to be a great fit on this team as a breaker. I also wouldn't be opposed to running a SD set with maybe a Lum Berry or even a fighting gem/water gem to beat the snot out of ferrothorn/skarmory, respectively. Any suggestions for this guy or what could be used in his stead would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: After a little bit of testing, I've found these two to be huge improvements to the team, Gastrodon becoming a staple to the team instantly, taking care of many of the teams offensive weaknesses (Volt Switchers, and Keldeo mostly, and it straight up walls both of them), and even being a great offensive force itself if it manages to nab a storm drain boost.

On the other hand, Haxorus blows right through many of the teams other problems like focus sash Breloom leads and even Sub Gyarados and Sub Toxicroak if caught early enough, and it decimates the team's biggest defensive threat, Ferrothorn, making him a great addition to the team.

Im going to continue testing a little, and if I like the way things are going with these two, I'll change the first post.

Last edited:
I have to be brief, but I did notice that you have a huge specs keldeo weakness. Specs keldeo can fire off secret swords and not have to worry or predict at all as everything on this team can be 2HKO by it. Rotom-w serves as a good check to it, but it can only switch into it once. The pokemon that can resist secret sword Keldeo a little better, Scizor and Politoed, don't really have a way to hit back hard. Otherwise, amazing team.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Your rmt is hard to read, please change the pictures...

Moving onto the team, you can probably replace Haxorus with Garchomp on your team. It has pretty much the same movepool, but with less attack. The additional speed garchomp has allows you to limit the amount of pokemon that can revenge kill it, and enables it to threaten pokemon Haxorus wouldn't normally be able to like Volcarona, Thundurus-T. It also works better against sand teams because of its superior bulk and immunity to residual sand damage.

Garchomp (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Dual Chop
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail

Additionally, you should really address your lack of a fighting resist. Nothing on your team enjoys taking a close combat or even a mach punch from a breloom. I would just replace Scizor for a Tangrowth. Acro Scizor is basically just a lure for pokemon that are walled by Jelly/Tenta so that it has an easier time sweeping. Tangrowth can provide a lot of utility for your team. It has access to sleep powder and leech seed which can help heal other weakened party members if you want. It's another water resist, can counter most dragon types, and never dies :]. It has some good offensive presence while taking pretty much every physical attack in the game.

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed
- Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Hope I helped!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)