Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because Dragon gained a new immune match-up does not make it a bad type. Sure if the opposing team has 3-4 fairy types then your dragon-type STAB isn't going to be very good. But the opposing team will likely not have 3-4 fairys. Dragon still has fewer NVE match-ups than most other types. And it will continue to be a good type for Dragons to use, just not as good anymore.

Just because flying-types are immune to ground-types doesn't make ground-type attacks bad. Ask Earthquake.

Also Outrage won't disappear, it'll likely stop its raging effect when met with an immune pokemon just as Thrash stops when used on a ghost-type. So theres no huge drawback to it other than the regular "it doesn't hurt the fairy type".
Yes it will. The point of Outrage is to KO something, right? You KO something with Outrage, a fairy switches in. You have to use the move so it'l say "It doesn't affect Azumarill!" and in that time the fairy has a free turn.

Just a thought, but since the freeze dry battle pics depict a brown Tyrantrum, is it possible that the red sugimori art is his shiny form?
No, it's the lighting. Pink pokemon like Swirlix and orange-ish Pokemon like Dedenne have similar issues

It makes 0 sense to have the shiny version be the default artwork, anyway.

MegaMawile as a dragon check? You do realize it's weak to both Fire and Ground, right?
So? So are other Dragon-checks in the current metagame. Look at any Steel type: Bronzong, Jirachi, Heatran, Skarmory, Forretress, Ferrothorn... All of them are famous Dragon checks because of the Steel in them. All of them are weak to either Fire, Ground, or both, yet here they stand as Dragon-stoppers. Mawile takes it a step up and is straight up immune to Dragon, can Intimidate if you predict properly and switch in on, say, Dragon Claw before it MEvolves, and resists some coverage common Dragons carry like Rock or Psychic. It's as good a Fire/Ground-weak check as any other OU Steel type.

EDIT: Minus Air Balloon Heatran, before that's brought up.
EDIT 2: Or Air Balloon Heatproof Bronzong...

That'd be "Baby-Doll Eyes". We don't know for sure if it gets that move though, or even if it's physical. Unless there's a reallllllly good reason otherwise, Huge Power abusing is a must on Mega Mawile, especially cause if it's SpA doesn't change, base 55 is not even remotely threatening. Draining Kiss might be physical cause a kiss is contact, but I highly doubt giving sad eyes to an opponent to damage them will be physical...
So how does one abuse huge power.

So how does one abuse huge power.
One uses moves that are based on that Huge Power-boosted Attack stat. Physical moves instead of Special moves. If Draining Kiss turns out to be Special (and seeing how well Sylveon used it against Politoed for being rumored 60 base power, it likely is...), then Mawile has little to no use for it since Huge Power won't affect it.

See 70 Bp, 90 Bp, and the difference between gen 2 dragon moves and gen 3 dragon moves.
That's more the fault of lack of high power dark attacks & high power electric attacks, though
If this was a situation where they lacked good stabs, they would have like...Bite. And Thunder Fang. And that would be it.

The real fear is that Mawile has a rerun of gen 3 where it had no steel type attacks beyond Iron Defense.

The problem I have with that though, is that bite has only what, 10 less base power then nightslash? Its just appalling to me. :(
Lead Beat Up has reeeeally high BP(135) and even with 3 mons statused/KOed it is still 67 BP. I will forever wonder why it isn't standard since Weavile has never been a late-game mon.

Crunch has 80 BP and Bite has 60 BP. TaiCrunch you should stop posting incorrect info and read a Pokedex.
Also, Darkrai.

Bite has like 30-40 BP. You may be thinking off Crunch, which has 60 and a chance to lower Def. They may be far from the strongest moves, but the added effects really help to make up for the lack of power.

Though I'd really like to see Yvetal with a high BP Dark type signature move. I can't imagine our first Dark-type legendary (right?) without anything stronger than Night Slash. edit: apparently Darkrai doesn't exist. But even Nightmare requires the opponent to be asleep.

Bite has like 30-40 BP. You may be thinking off Crunch, which has 60 and a chance to lower Def. They may be far from the strongest moves, but the added effects really help to make up for the lack of power.

Though I'd really like to see Yvetal with a high BP Dark type signature move. I can't imagine our first Dark-type legendary (right?) without anything stronger than Night Slash.
Bite's BP is 60 with a chance of flinch, Crunch is 80.

Also, all of those other steels run HP and defenses (or in Jirachi's case, are simply faster with Scarf). Mawile's resistances will be useful, yes, but it doesn't have room for leftovers and you'll really want it to be offensive to take advantage of Huge Power. It's more like Lucario with higher physical defense and that's not saying much.

Unlike many folks, I don't care about spoilers in terms of pokemon. Maybe a story spoiler might throw me off, but if its stats, movesets, abilities, etc I am VERY happy to know. I'm going to save and restart the game until I get a modest Fenneken. That's the sort of player I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)