Tournament OMPL XI - Week 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
:greninja-ash: W2 AAA team ranking:greninja-ash:

Had some irl stuff to do so yeah this comes a bit late. Also note that this personal project will be stopped until a point the metagame stabilizes and gets developed enough for me be to more objective and confident to classify things.

#1 The Number Man's team: :garchomp::corviknight::scream tail::glimmora::hawlucha::ceruledge:

:garchomp: Regenerator
:corviknight: Intimidate
:scream tail: Pixilate
:glimmora: Earth Eater?
:hawlucha: Magic Guard
:ceruledge: Desolate Land

Effectiveness: 12/15

Liquidation SD Garchomp and Dland Ceruledge paired with EE Glimmora is a really cool tech. The only thing preventing Glimmora from putting Spikes is EE/Levi Iron Treads that Liquidation Garchomp is luring perfectly. Quaquaval is also an annoying spinner for Glimmora and this is where Dland Ceru comes to prevent it from spinning (although no longer 100% reliable considering modern Quaqua are running BB over CC).
MGLO Hawlucha is something really unexpected that appear from nowhere. It offers some defensive utility although not much and some speed control. In terms of breaking it really lacks raw power and will basically need to get a SD to really start making damages. Coverage is still extremely good but this is set just a prey for Unaware Scream Tail against it can't make any progress. Overall I'm not a fan of this set but it still has some merits and that's a nice catch from TNM.
Not a fan of Scarf Pixi Scream Tail but it makes sense there in terms of speed control. Thunder Wave is also nice to para things like Corviknight or Iron Moth. Trick offers an out against setup.
Garchomp + Corv are classic but solid as always.
Overall I see what TNM had in mind when building and I can definitely say the team has been well thought out in terms of synergy. I take off at least half a point for that 0 speed Garchomp that got OHKO'ed by LO Ada Ceruledge. 0 Speed Garchomp is bad and I hope you learnt the lesson! :blobpex:

Originality: 4/5

MGLO Hawlucha is something that didn't even exist in VRs and increases a lot this mark de facto. Pixi Scarf Scream Tail is quite original too especially considering Unaware rules the meta with some other Pixi CM. Glimmora is still an original pick giving the bad take it's a C-mon in VRs (it is not lmao). Desolate Land Cerulege is not particularly original but still not particularly common either.

Score: 16/20

#2 Ivar57's team:
:meowscarada::iron moth::scream tail::corviknight::garchomp::glimmora:

:meowscarada: Sword of Ruin
:iron moth: Desolate Land
:scream tail: Unaware
:garchomp: Regenerator
:glimmora:Earth Eater?

Effectiveness: 13.5/15

Pretty standard structure without much to say. Moth + Chomp + Corv + Scream is like the full extend of the most consistent defensive core of balanced/fat in the metagame without much flaws. If you add an EE Glimmora on top of that, you get a great bulky balanced team relying on hazard spam. Meowscarada's Knock Off doesn't really help its partners so ig it's here just for the speed control and to give some raw breaking power to the team. Because there's no real SpD wall, powerful breakers like Hydreigon, Lucario and Gardevoir can be extremely scary for such a team especially considering they will abuse any passive turn to try to come in and make progress.

Origininality: 2/5

Out of respect, you all begin with 1 point. Here Ivar got one more because Glimmora is original?

Score: 15.5/20

#2 Hariyana Grande's team:
:ceruledge::garganacl::corviknight::scream tail::quaquaval::rotom-wash:

:garganacl: Sand Stream
:corviknight: Volt Absorb?
:quaquaval: Magic Guard
:rotom-wash: Regenerator

Effectiveness: 12.5/15

LO Dland Ceruledge makes sense with both Corviknight and Quaquaval as hazard control. Opposing Garchomp will be put under a lot of pressure considering the threat of WoW from Rotom-Wash, Salt Cure from Garganacl and LO-boosted hits from Ceruledge making the team quite coherent. I think Corviknight is VA here otherwise the team just collapses against any Electric mon.
Overall solid team prob s/o Lordbox but quite weak to Meowscarada as we could have expected from a Intimi/Fluffy Corv less team. Overall, powerful Dark breakers like Strong Jaw Roaring Moon, BoR/Mega Lauchner Hydreigon are extremely scary for this team. Even things like Lucario considering the below average speed control of this team. Pretty much loses to Solar Beam Iron Moth but hopefully no ones play that nowadays.

Origininality: 3/5

No Iron Moth and no Garchomp is quite rare even though there are both Corv and Scream Tail. Corv is however VA which is not common. Ceru, Garga and Rotom-W are not top tier mon providing again some originaly to the team.

Score: 15.5/20

#4 MZ's team:
:corviknight::iron-moth::inteleon::slither wing::ting-lu::scream tail:

:iron-moth: Desolate Land
:inteleon: Primordial Sea
:slither wing: Magic Guard
:ting-lu: Regenerator

Effectiveness: 12/15

Much better team from MZ this time! Really dynamic team with 4 pivots to enter Slither Wing or Inteleon and make progress. Not a big fan of Scream Tail there because it's a momentum sink and I feel Intimi Corv + Slither's prio + Whirlwind Ting should be enough for setup (you even get this Sludge Wave Moth for Hatt). But anw Scream Tail is pretty much never a bad addition to a team especially considering it helps Corv not solo handling the pressure.
Offensively the team is really good because MGLO is a top tier breaker and Inteleon can be extremely frightening in the right MU and if played well. Kinda scared of RegenVest Drag (not Chomp though) + something handling Slither. Even Iron Moth is difficult to handle because Ting-Lu really needs to be high in HP to handle Fiery Dance into +1 Fiery Dance.
But now defensively things are a bit harder to handle... Talonflame is an extremely rough MU considering Scream Tail doesn't really beat it. Ting-Lu over the classic Garchomp makes the team much weaker to Ceruledge. Overall the team should def focus on exerting pressure and win fast.

Origininality: 2.5/5

Inteleon and Ting-Lu are not so common as well as this MGLO set on Slither (although more and more popular) so it allows to reach an average grade.

Score: 14.5/20

#5 Shiloh's team:
:haxorus::rotom-wash::talonflame::toxtricity::cinderace::kingambit:

:haxorus: Protean
:talonflame: Magic Guard
:toxtricity: Refrigerate
:cinderace: Mold Breaker
:kingambit: Tinted Lens

Effectiveness: 9.5/15

Typically the kind of team you can encounter in low ladd although a bit more refined considering there's this Regen Eject Button Rotom-W. Pretty straightforward team with setup things putting pressure until one is able to sweep. Hard to judge according to standards but the team feels extemely weak, even for a HO. Kingambit, Talonflame and Rotom-W offer some defensive utility but that's all. You lose Kingambit and Chien-Pao pretty much sweeps by clicking Crunch.
But in practise things are not easy considering HO like this one capitalizes on any turn to setup and prevent you from grabbing back the momentum. Corviknight will basically be overwhelmed by Hax + King and loses against anything else anw. Garchomp might be in trouble considering you can expect WoW from Rotom-W or Cinderace making it less of a threat. Scream Tail is also pretty much useless in this MU considering pretty much everything is able to go through (Protean Poison Jab Hax is a nice lure tbh). Iron Moth is often a deadweight against HO and there's no exception here.
Still a fishy playstyle relying on the MU more than usually but that you shouldn't underestimate.

Origininality: 4.5/5

Offense without Screens or Sticky is already something original tbh. Add to that original things like Refri Toxtri or Protean Haxorus and you definitely get one of the most original AAA team.

Score: 14/20

#5 atha's team:
:chesnaught::donphan::toxapex::talonflame::iron moth::garganacl:

:chesnaught: Well-Baked Body
:donphan: Regenerator
:toxapex: Mummy
:iron moth: Desolate Land
:garganacl: Sand Stream

Effectiveness: 10/15

A bulky balances/fat team with some unusual mons. The team looks pretty solid defensively but, for a fat team, I'm kinda worried about how this team deal with setup? No Unaware Scream Tail, no phazing, no priorities, the best option is Talonflame speed control and Toxapex's Toxic which feels kinda not enough for such quite passive team going for long term progress. The team also relies a lot on hazards and any kind of residual damages to make progress but does struggle keeping hazards on the field without anti-spinner. Combination of Regen + MG with possibly Scream Tail Wish support can be really annoying to deal with.
Overall it feels the team really depends on Toxapex to not autolose against many things like Slither Wings, Talonflame, Quaquaval (Brave Bird variant), Chien-Pao, Fluffy Taunt Gyarados, etc. Autolose to Regen SubCurse Dozo, Sub Iron Def Sandy, etc... I do see this team getting broken by quite common breakers with smart gameplans and careful progress without much trouble in any cases.

Origininality: 4/5

WBB Ches + Regenvest Donphan + Mummy Pex are all pretty original things.

Score: 14/20

#7 Osake's team:
:rotom-wash::volcarona::iron treads::tinkaton::meowscarada::slither wing:

:volcarona: Turboblaze
:iron treads: Earth Eater
:tinkaton: Well-Baked Body
:meowscarada: Adaptability?
:slither wing: Intimidate

Effectiveness: 9/15

Quite bold to go for a BO team without any member of the big 4. Defensively speaking first the team isn't that bad considering Regen Rotom-W, EE Treads, WBB Tink and Intimi Slither still cover most of the metagame although not perfectly especially long term. Nevertheless they are flaws like Garganacl being able to spam Salt Cure and Protect for free. Mixed Chomp is really scary in this MU relying only on predicts to somehow deal with it? Tinted Lens Slither Wing gets the 2HKO on Intimidate Slither meaning nothing is able to switch in. Some other mons are scary like Quaquaval (BB OHKO Slither Wing and CC 2HKO Rotom-W), Kilowattrel or Inteleon (2HKO Rotom-Wash).
Offensively I feel the team relies a lot on Volcarona being able to sweep because Meowscarada isn't really a breaker and apart from it, progress relies on hazards, status and chip more than anything else. Running that into Garganacl almost mean losing on the spot tbh. Volcarona effectiveness also relies a lot on Iron Treads being able to remove SR otherwise you should never manage to sweep.

Origininality: 4.5/5

From worst mark to almost the perfect one! Osake built a team without Corv, Chomp, Moth and Scream which is enough to give him 4 already. Turboblaze Volcarona is the star of this team. A rare mon with an unconventional set. Regen Rotom and Intimidate Slither are not that original but still unusual sets and allow Osake to get half a point more.

Score: 13.5/20

#unranked "Tier Acid's" team:
:corviknight::ceruledge::kingambit::tinkaton::talonflame::ting-lu:

:kingambit: Defiant
:tinkaton: Well-Baked Body
:ting-lu:Regenerator

I'm not ranking this team because I learned it was stolen from atha's replay. I don't really care even though I encourage people to build and play their own teams because that's how you learn. But still, I will not give Tier Acid a mark or take my time to discuss the team considering they just didn't build it.

This concludes this W2 AAA team review, thanks for the support last time :heart: Don't forget to boo the council for putting Tinkaton and Rotom-Wash B rank and Glimmora C+ rank! (see usages and WR). Ban Enam rfn too smh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)