Tournament NeverUsed World Cup - Format Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Greetings all!

We here in the NU community have finally decided it's time for the inaugural edition of the NU World Cup!

First of all, we are excited for this as much as you and we can't wait to get started. However, this is one big issue that needs to be tackled before we do. The meta format has already been decided on as follows:

4 SV NU, 2 SS NU, SM NU, Bo3 (SV, SS, SM)

That's 8 slots with a minimum of 2 subs and a max of 4 subs (10-12 players per team). So, the discussion that will take place here is how we want to play out this tour. It will most likely be a 12-team tour with the following countries being our ideas:

US West
US Midwest
US South
US Northeast + Canada
India
China
Asia
West Europe
East Europe
Oceania
Latin America
Brazil

And now the subject of this thread: we would like to hear the community's ideas or thoughts on which style we'd like to play this tour in. There's already a couple of great ideas that have been brought up. They are:

1) Pools: We'd divide the teams evenly (12 / 2 = 6 teams into 2 pools, maybe 16 / 2 = 8 into 2 pools if we get enough country involvement) and then play the tour on a weekly basis. Basically, every slot (SV1, SV2, etc) will play a round robin format with the other players in that slot in their team's pool. The player with the best record out of these games for that slot will get a W for their team's overall record. Whereas, the teams who didn't get the best record, get an L. This would be the same for all the other slots. The top 2 teams from each pool would advance to the playoffs and go from there.

2) Random: The other idea is everybody is not separated by pools, but rather everyone for the given meta they're chosen to play by their respective captain, will be randomly matched against 3 other people for that meta. The scoring is the same, but the idea is the randomness and players wouldn't be limited to only teams within a pool. This format could be expanded to 14 teams and the top 6 advance with the top 2 teams getting byes while the other 4 play in the quarterfinals to advance.

Bear in mind that this thread is for additional ideas and discussion, it's NOT for signups. We'll get to those, don't worry. With that in mind, have at it!

etern

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NU Leader
I don't think committing to regions yet is a good idea, we're better off waiting until people have signed up to gauge interest and then adapting from there. For example, Oceania usually ends up being a mix of OCE + players from the rest of the world that didn't fit into US / LA / Europe but dont have enough turnout to form their own specific teams. 12 Teams also seems a bit overkill but maybe I'm underestimating how many people will signup, tbd.

In terms of the tiers, can we please not have bo3 again. Bo3 in pools is a disaster waiting to happen, and nobody is gonna want to prepare or play that many matches, especially when it's likely that all bo3 slots wont have a great grasp on all 3 of the tiers. Ideally you could just make it a second SM slot since it's weird to have two SS and only SM being the odd one out, but 5 SV wouldn't be the worst thing either.

Danny

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
ZU Circuit Champion
agree with etern about the bo3 slot it seems weirdly placed. if anything we base this off of ruwc which just happened. waiting for signups to go up and then basing it off population is the best course of action. ofc if ppl can actually field a full team id be fine giving them a slot and having some sort of regulation basis in place if we have too many slots. id just play it by ear based on signups like etern said.

also in to manage us south with Togkey :)

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
I don't think committing to regions yet is a good idea, we're better off waiting until people have signed up to gauge interest and then adapting from there. For example, Oceania usually ends up being a mix of OCE + players from the rest of the world that didn't fit into US / LA / Europe but dont have enough turnout to form their own specific teams. 12 Teams also seems a bit overkill but maybe I'm underestimating how many people will signup, tbd.

In terms of the tiers, can we please not have bo3 again. Bo3 in pools is a disaster waiting to happen, and nobody is gonna want to prepare or play that many matches, especially when it's likely that all bo3 slots wont have a great grasp on all 3 of the tiers. Ideally you could just make it a second SM slot since it's weird to have two SS and only SM being the odd one out, but 5 SV wouldn't be the worst thing either.
my understanding from our discussions was the regions aren't final and just are an early proposal based on what we'd expect to be fieldable. I personally am very happy to change them up based on interest like you said

similarly i'm happy to nuke bo3 in favor of sv5 or sm2, probably the latter due to personal bias but also 5 sv slots sounds like a special kind of hell no one should be forced to endure

Stories

history? what about herstories?
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
bo3 just seems odd in a format that only has gens 9-7 anyway, I feel it’s best reserved for the NUPL format. I think 5 NU slots would be fine, even if some teams are kinda samey, the tier is in a much better spot than it was pre-home shifts.

Stories

history? what about herstories?
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
bo3 just seems odd in a format that only has gens 9-7 anyway, I feel it’s best reserved for the NUPL format. I think 5 NU slots would be fine, even if some teams are kinda samey, the tier is in a much better spot than it was pre-home shifts.
some other thoughts:
-please give us some breathing room after NUPL, tier tour, and now ladder tour.
-instead of trying to clutter multiple of the same gen, why dont we just add oras instead of bo3
-im not sure if a WC format is feasible in NU without looking at signups ngl, idk which regions have enough players and if there's even enough regions for a competitive tour

Ren-chon

Lifesbane, 36 layers. How does it look?
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
Short post, but just to clarify that Bo3 was suggested by me back when we were still planning on doing a regular r1 format (like in PLs). Its obv not ideal for pools since that would be a LOT of games in a short period of time, so for now lets just assume this is a filler slot that could be traded for any other tier (like another SV/SM or ORAS)

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Thank you to all who posted their thoughts and opinions in this thread. I am going to lock it now and start the signups thread. I just want to make a note of a few things before I do that:

• We have decided to play the tour as 2 divisions (most likely a Scarlet division and a Violet division) and the top x teams from each will advance to the playoffs.
    • i.e. if we end up having 8 teams, it would most likely be the top 2 from each division playing in semis and so on....
  • The amount of slots and regions that will get teams will be based on signups.
    • If there is clearly not enough from one region, we may merge it with another or just unfortunately have to proceed without it.
  • The formats played will also depend on signups.
    • We will also include a potential SS suspect slot for those would want to play SS NU. In your signup post, I will include an option on whether or not you'd welcome the idea or not.
    • The suspect slot would be SS NU, but without Groundvally, Rotom-Mow, and Vileplume.
  • Building off of that last point and after much discussion, the 2 formats that'll happen are as follows:
    • 3 SV, 1 SS, 1 SM, 1 ORAS OR
    • 4 SV, 2 SS (1 suspect slot), 1 SM, 1 ORAS
    • Again, the format will be decided based on preference in your posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)