Movepool Revisions - Fidgit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Approved and sponsored by tennisace.

If you are not an experienced member of the CAP community, it is strongly recommended that you do not post in this thread.

This thread is intended to contain intelligent discussion and commentary by experienced members of the CAP project regarding CAP movepools. As such, the content of this thread will be moderated more strictly than other threads on the forum. This is not a Policy Review thread, but requires intelligent posting and serious thought put into every post made.
Introduction:

This is the thread in which we will be revising Fidgit's movepool. All aspects of his movepool, including TM moves, Move Tutor moves, Level-Up moves, and Egg Moves will be revised according to the limits listed below and the requirements listed in this process guide article. All process details for the revisions can be found in this thread.

Base Stat Rating & Movepool Limits:

This is where the BSR Overall Rating and Movepool Limit are decided. In accordance with this process guide article, all CAPs must have a Overall BSR limit that is balanced by the maximum of that CAP's Very Good Move (VGM) limit. The calculator for the Overall BSR of a Pokemon can be found here.
Fidgit's Overall BSR: 340 (Very Good)

Resulting Movepool Size Limit: 75
Resulting VGM Limit: 35

Current Movepool
Reference: X-Act's Winning Movepool
Move Count: 100
VGM Count: 44

Total: 17
VGM: 9 (2 repeats)
(Pre evo: Gust, Tailwind*)
- Teeter Dance (Heart Scale)*
- Disable (Heart Scale)
- Doubleslap
- Acid
- Encore*
5. Acid
9. Encore*
14. Rapid Spin*
20. Mud-slap
25. Whirlwind*
30. Knock Off*
36. Sludge
42. Sand Tomb
42. Gravity*
50. Me First
58. Earth Power*
67. Gunk Shot

Total: 54
VGM: 28 (1 repeat)
TM01 - Focus Punch*
TM06 - Toxic*
TM10 - Hidden Power*
TM11 - Sunny Day
TM12 - Taunt*
TM15 - Hyper Beam*
TM16 - Light Screen*
TM17 - Protect*
TM18 - Rain Dance*
TM20 - Safeguard
TM21 - Frustration*
TM26 - Earthquake*
TM27 - Return*
TM28 - Dig
TM30 - Shadow Ball*
TM31 - Brick Break*
TM32 - Double Team
TM33 - Reflect*
TM34 - Shock Wave
TM36 - Sludge Bomb*
TM37 - Sandstorm
TM39 - Rock Tomb
TM40 - Aerial Ace*
TM41 - Torment
TM42 - Facade*
TM43 - Secret Power
TM44 - Rest*
TM45 - Attract
TM46 - Thief
TM48 - Skill Swap
TM49 - Snatch
TM53 - Energy Ball*
TM56 - Fling
TM58 - Endure
TM60 - Drain Punch
TM63 - Embargo
TM67 - Recycle
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM71 - Stone Edge*
TM74 - Gyro Ball*
TM76 - Stealth Rock*
TM77 - Psych Up
TM78 - Captivate
TM80 - Rock Slide*
TM82 - Sleep Talk*
TM83 - Natural Gift
TM84 - Poison Jab*
TM87 - Swagger
TM89 - U-Turn*
TM90 - Substitute*
TM92 - Trick Room*
HM04 - Strength
HM06 - Rock Smash
HM08 - Rock Climb

Egg Group: Ground
Total: 12
VGM: 5

Wish*
Spikes*
Toxic Spikes*
Pursuit*
Sucker Punch*
Block
Wake-up Slap
Mud Sport
Helping Hand
Follow Me
Metronome
Assist

Total: 20 (3 repeats)
VGM: 7 (2 repeats)
Block
Earth Power*
Gastro Acid
Gravity*
Gunk Shot
Headbutt
Helping Hand
Ice Punch*
Icy Wind
Knock Off*
Last Resort
Mud-Slap
Role Play
Rollout
Seed Bomb*
Snore
Swift
Tailwind*
ThunderPunch*
Uproar

New Movepool:
Move Count: 75
VGM Count: 35

Total: 16
VGM: 11
- Tailwind*
- Gust
- Comet Punch
- Helping Hand
5. Encore*
9. Rapid Spin*
14. Knock Off*
19. Copycat
25. Whirlwind*
30. Body Slam*
35. Sludge Bomb*
41. Toxic Spikes*
47. Gravity*
53. Heal Block*
59. Earth Power*
67. Lucky Chant

Total: 42 (1 repeat)
VGM: 23 (2 repeats)
TM06 - Toxic*
TM10 - Hidden Power*
TM11 - Sunny Day
TM12 - Taunt*
TM15 - Hyper Beam*
TM16 - Light Screen*
TM17 - Protect*
TM18 - Rain Dance*
TM20 - Safeguard*
TM21 - Frustration*
TM26 - Earthquake*
TM27 - Return*
TM32 - Double Team
TM30 - Shadow Ball*
TM33 - Reflect*
TM36 - Sludge Bomb*
TM37 - Sandstorm
TM39 - Rock Tomb
TM41 - Torment
TM42 - Facade*
TM43 - Secret Power
TM44 - Rest*
TM45 - Attract
TM46 - Thief
TM48 - Skill Swap
TM49 - Snatch
TM56 - Fling
TM58 - Endure
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM71 - Stone Edge*
TM76 - Stealth Rock*
TM77 - Psych Up
TM78 - Captivate
TM80 - Rock Slide*
TM82 - Sleep Talk*
TM83 - Natural Gift
TM87 - Swagger
TM89 - U-Turn*
TM90 - Substitute*
TM92 - Trick Room*
HM06 - Rock Smash
HM08 - Rock Climb

Egg Group: Ground
Total: 8
VGM: 2

Disable
Follow Me
Me First
Mimic
Metronome
Sand Tomb
Spikes*
Wish*

Total: 18 (8 repeats)
VGM: 5 (4 repeats)
Body Slam
Double-Edge
Metronome
Mimic
Block*
Earth Power*
Gastro Acid
Gravity*
Helping Hand
Icy Wind
Knock Off*
Mud-Slap
Ominous Wind
Snore
Swift
Tailwind*
Twister

Justification:
Fidgit was finished mere days (August 12th, 2008) after Garchomp was moved to the suspect testing stage (August 8th, 2008). For practical purposes Garchomp was in limbo at the time, but was still in the back of everyone's mind. So essentially the metagame was pre-Platinum/HGSS version of the current metagame. In order to justify some of the wind moves it was proposed Fidgit had a Flying/Poison pre-evo named "Breezy," thus Tailwind, Gust, etc. I have made sure the short list of type-move for Flying is in there plus the regular additions for having wings like Icy Wind/Ominous Wind/Twister.

To start off Fidgit had one of the largest movepools ever constructed. In addition to dropping the VGM down, 25 moves had to be removed entirely. The idea behind Fidgit is to be the ultimate Utility Pokemon, it's whole function to lend support to its teammates. In order to find room to maximize support I had to gut most of its physical movepool. There was an old joke about Fidgit and Vital Spirit and how it would be too fidgety to focus for Focus Punch. Well, Fidgit now has 8 hands but can't throw any punches (except for Comet Punch, which I put in for comedic purposes). Focus Punch, Ice Punch, and Thunderpunch have all been removed. About the only remaining physical moves are those that are Type-Move required. Last on the flavor addition list is Copycat since it just seemed to fit.

I had considered Baton Pass for the trap-passing combo, but there was a strong dislike for it at the time of the CAP's creation, so that's a no-go. The same with Heal Bell which was shot down before the Support moves poll. I had built something around them but I'd run aground of the "respect the TL" rule.

I had to scrap Energy Ball to get all the support options in. It was useful vs. Swampert but not much else, and there's still Hidden Power.

Summary:

VGMs added for type-move and move-move: Body Slam.

VGMs added: Heal Block** (VGM with Persistent, 7 turns to be unable to Wish/Softboiled/Rest etc. is pretty good)

VGMs removed: Aerial Ace, Brick Break, Energy Ball, Focus Punch, Gyro Ball, Ice Punch, Poison Jab, Pursuit, Seed Bomb, Sucker Punch, Teeter Dance, Thunderpunch.

Notable non-VGMs added: Copycat, Lucky Chant, Ominous Wind, Twister.

(I'm not sure if Persistent boosts Lucky Chant, but it should be programmed to. Having it up for debate is fine, but I'll need cuts elsewhere if using a moveslot to avoid critical hits (6.6% chance) for 7 turns is worth it. Tailwind's speed boost, Safeguard's status block, and Gravity's accuracy are all considered VGMs in my count already.)

Your current counts, according to my spreadsheet, are:
Moves: 76 (4 repeats)
VGMs: 35 (5 repeats)
Everything really looks fine. You're one move over, though, so I'd remove something unnecessary and weird like Swagger or Strength. Otherwise, I really like the movepool, I think it has everything that makes Fidgit Fidgit, and it doesn't have all the excess that the old movepool did. Good job, Deck. (I've attached my spreadsheet, as usual)

Attachments

i was just going to say how amazed i was that you managed to trim this movepool without taking away from his support options but then i saw it in the vgms removed list

oh man you axed rain dance? as a support pokemon he really needs it (and yes, i've used a rain dance fidgit, and it's solid). maybe you could get rid of strength or rock climb, or even rest (pokemon with vital spirit don't generally have rest iirc)

also i suppose if you wanted you could argue for strength with something like "HMs are in-game support" lol

ps: you misspelled metronome :V

There's like, nothing that can be removed for Rain Dance, though. I suppose you could feasibly remove Energy Ball for it, but that's basically the only thing I'd be OK getting rid of.

Sorry for posting here even though I do not have much experience with competitive battles, but I wanted to point something out.
So essentially Fidgit has it's core special offensive movepool of Sludge Bomb/Earth Power/Energy Ball/Shadow Ball and has just been a bit streamlined. Screens, Hazards, Rapid Spin, Whirlwind, and Wish/U-turn are still there.
VGMs removed: Aerial Ace, Brick Break, Energy Ball, Focus Punch, Gyro Ball, Ice Punch, Poison Jab, Pursuit, Seed Bomb, Sucker Punch, Teeter Dance, Thunderpunch.
You might want to fix that.
And seeing how this post doesn't really contribute to the project, please delete it once you've checked this small contradiction. Thanks.

Okay, with the edits, the movepool is now down to 75/35 and meets all of my criteria. Great job, Deck, I really like the way the movepool turned out! I've attached the final spreadsheet for posterity.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)