move 2: Ice Beam / Blizzard
move 3: Fusion Bolt / Imprison
move 4: Protect
item: Sitrus Berry / Dragon Gem
ability: Teravolt
nature: Naughty Nature
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Dragon Claw can OHKO the majority of opposing Dragons, and deals heavy damage to a variety of targets
  • Ice Beam provides Ice STAB, but Blizzard can be used along with Hail to hit two targets at once
  • Imprison can be used over Fusion Bolt to prevent the opposition from using Protect, which is great for adding on offensive pressure
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • A faster spread of 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe can be used
  • Sitrus Berry is generally preferred to extend longetivity, but Dragon Gem allows you to tear something apart with Dragon Claw
  • A Naughty Nature is used for mixed attacking, but you can run Adamant to preserve special bulk, but you will see a drop in power from Ice Beam/Blizzard if you do
[SET]
name: Power Herb Attacker
move 1: Freeze Shock
move 2: Dragon Claw
move 3: Fusion Bolt / Imprison
move 4: Protect
item: Power Herb
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Power Herb provides a reliable STAB attack in Freeze Shock.
  • Dragon Claw provides secondary STAB; Fusion Bolt provides coverage
  • Freeze Shock allows you to avoid losing bulk with a mixed attacking nature

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Like the Standard set, a fast spread of 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe with a Jolly Nature can be used if speed is preferred.
  • Enjoys teammates that can dispose Steel or Fighting types, as they give it trouble.

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Dragon Claw
move 2: Ice Beam / Rock Slide
move 3: Fusion Bolt
move 4: Earth Power
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Naughty Nature
evs: 252 Atk / 104 SpA / 152 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Choice Scarf allows you to hit things like Latios before they hit you.
  • Rock Slide can be used over Ice Beam as a spread attack.
  • Earth Power provides necessary coverage against Steel-types.
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Given speed investment allows you to beat positive-natured base 130's with a Scarf boost, everything else is poured into Special Attack to boost offensive power.
  • If Rock Slide is chosen over Ice Beam, a spread of 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe would be preferred.
  • A Choice Band set with Dragon Claw/Fusion Bolt/Shadow Claw/Rock Slide could be an option, though you would opt for a bulkier spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD to tank hits. It could also abuse options like Zen Headbutt in the moveslots, though this is fairly gimmicky.

[Other Options]
  • Rock Slide (on the non-Choice sets)
  • Resist Berries; Chople, Haban, etc
  • Outrage
  • Hone Claws set w/ Rage Powder support
  • Icy Wind
  • Substitute
  • Dual Screens, Sunny Day
[Checks and Counters]
  • Almost any Steel-type, Scizor, Metagross, Excadrill, etc
  • Fighting types, particularly Breloom, Hitmontop, and Terrakion (Terrakion needs to watch out for Scarf sets, Breloom needs to be careful around bulky attacker sets)
  • Intimidate in general, Kyurem-Black hates losing its offensive power, Landorus-Therian and Hitmontop do the best at screwing it over
  • Faster Dragons, but they fear Scarf set, and need a safe switch in
  • As a last note, Kyurem-Black hates the majority of Sand teams, they spam Rock Slide, which makes it cry

Last edited:

Chinchou

Banned deucer.
Just like to add under other options Shadow Claw. 252+ Atk Kyurem-B Shadow Claw vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Cresselia: 176-208 (39.63 - 46.84%) -- guaranteed 3HKO. Now it might not seem like much, but if it uses it on the switch, it becomes a 2hko. (This is for Choice Scarf set btw.)

Just like to add under other options Shadow Claw. 252+ Atk Kyurem-B Shadow Claw vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Cresselia: 176-208 (39.63 - 46.84%) -- guaranteed 3HKO. Now it might not seem like much, but if it uses it on the switch, it becomes a 2hko. (This is for Choice Scarf set btw.)
Updated the "Additional Comments" on the Scarf set with that.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok, some things it definitely needs: Choice Band (smashes the fuck out of things and puts lots of pressure on weaker mons), mixed set w/ Ice Beam and maybe a Substitute set to take advantage of its nice bulk and typing. Also, not sure how well an Icy Wind set works, so I'd need more convincing on that (what makes using Icy Wind better than just smashing things and leaving Icy Wind to like Cresselia or something). Unless I hear some other opinions on the contrary I think Icy Wind should be in OO.

Freeze Shock Power Herb doesn't feel right as the first set, when 252 hp/252 atk/4 spe works well with just Ice Beam/DCalw/FBolt/Protect. Maybe as a set lower down or an OO.

Ok, some things it definitely needs: Choice Band (smashes the fuck out of things and puts lots of pressure on weaker mons), mixed set w/ Ice Beam and maybe a Substitute set to take advantage of its nice bulk and typing. Also, not sure how well an Icy Wind set works, so I'd need more convincing on that (what makes using Icy Wind better than just smashing things and leaving Icy Wind to like Cresselia or something). Unless I hear some other opinions on the contrary I think Icy Wind should be in OO.
Freeze Shock Power Herb doesn't feel right as the first set, when 252 hp/252 atk/4 spe works well with just Ice Beam/DCalw/FBolt/Protect. Maybe as a set lower down or an OO.
Added a "Standard" set to be at the top, removed "Icy Wind Attacker" and put it in Other Options.

I put "Choice Band" in Other Options, I'm not so keen on the idea of it being an "official" set, since Kyurem-Black is weak to common attacks, Choice Band prevents it from using Protect, and unlike Scarf, it is going to be outsped a lot of the time. Also added Substitute to Other Options.

The Leprechaun

wear nike not fila
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Probably the most effective set, in singles anyway, is the specially based mixed attacker with max special attack and speed, Ice beam/Earth power/D-claw/HP Fire. This allows it to hit mega hard on both sides of the spectrum as well as break through steels, something it might have trouble with normally. I feel that this deserves a mention.

Hmm, can non-QC members even post on these?

I have a suggestion: could you perhaps mention Victini as a partner for the Power Herb attacker set? Victory Star gives a 10% acc increase to the bearer and its allies, putting freeze shock's accuracy at 99 instead of the sometimes-unreliable (I had draco meteor miss 4 times in a row once @_@) 90 accuracy. Plus, the pair can be used for powerful fusion attacks.

I have a suggestion: could you perhaps mention Victini as a partner for the Power Herb attacker set? Victory Star gives a 10% acc increase to the bearer and its allies, putting freeze shock's accuracy at 99 instead of the sometimes-unreliable (I had draco meteor miss 4 times in a row once @_@) 90 accuracy. Plus, the pair can be used for powerful fusion attacks.
Victory Star yes. Missing on a 90% is just wrong.

Gimmicky as crap Fusion combos no. It's been looked at before, and it's really not worth it when V should be spamming V Kill and KyuB has better things to do than spam Fusion Bolt.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Kyurem-B learns Glaciate, which is a stronger version of Icy Wind, btw. Icy Wind is only good if it's paired with Imprison.

I think Outrage is worth an OO mention. Kyurem-B is ridiculously powerful that it doesn't matter what it targets, it will do a ton of damage. I can see CB / Dragon Fang Kyurem-B making the most out of Outrage with some Tailwind support ;F

Hone Claws with Follow Me / Rage Powder support also sounds lethal, too

Kyurem-Black cannot learn Glaciate, at least not in PS. Mentioned Outrage and Hone Claws. Will try to get to adding in team options, but this time of year I am pretty busy, so it may take awhile.

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Mention Excadrill as a counter as it has rock slide and outspeeds Kyurem-B. Also mention Landog as a particularly threatening counter as it both intimdiates and has stone edge which really sucks.

also remove shadow claw from OO

252+ Atk Kyurem-B Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Cresselia: 151-178 (34 - 40.09%) -- 39.14% chance to 3HKO

vs

252+ Atk Kyurem-B Shadow Claw vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Cresselia: 176-208 (39.63 - 46.84%) -- guaranteed 3HKO.

Gaining 4% on cress at the cost of an entire moveslot you can do way way better things is not worth mentioning at all.

Confirming that it cannot. Normal Kyurem learns Glaciate, but when it transforms into Kyurem-B, that slot is replaced by Fusion Bolt.
It's replaced with Freeze Shock if my memory serves me.

Nobody says you have to "spam" it, and please let's not pretend Fusion Bolt isn't one of the main reasons you'd even use Kyu-B.
A powered-up Fusion Bolt is helpful to get past things such as Cresselia and Tyranitar, who otherwise give Kyu-B trouble and makes up for the lack of Outrage (which you shouldn't be using in doubles).

As for Victini, with Intimidate and rain everywhere V-Create isn't consistently powerful in doubles, and the defenses/speed drops are just horrible in such a fast-paced where switching out is very costly. Blue Flare has a similiar damage output on the physically defensive targets that will try to sponge Victini's attacks.

Long story short, Mixtini and Fusion Bolt are neither gimmicks nor something you'd build a team around but it's a nice combo and works well. It needs to be mentioned somewhere.
It's iffy at best, and might deserve an OO at best because of it.

Since the Fusion Bolt & Fusion Flare is not one of the main draws to using Kyurem-Black, and is more of a side option, I will probably not mention it (at least not until I get the team options up).

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Please add a CB set for Kyurem-B - with 170 Base Attack, it's just brainless spam of DClaw and Outrage. Most physical dragons suffer from relying on a weak Dragon Claw as their main source of power; CB changes that for Kyurem-B. Speed may be an issue, but speed control would mitigate that. Pwnemon's successful Team WhiteWater showcased the splendor of CB Kyurem-B, giving this team such frightening offensive pressure. CB certainly warrants its own set ;o

Last edited:
Please add a CB set for Kyurem-B - with 170 Base Attack, it's just brainless spam of DClaw and Outrage. Most physical dragons suffer from relying on a weak Dragon Claw as its main source of power; CB changes that for Kyurem-B. Speed may be an issue, but speed control would mitigate that. Pwnemon's successful Team WhiteWater showcased the splendor of CB Kyurem-B, giving this team such frightening offensive pressure. CB certainly warrants its own set ;o
Well, if you confirm its solid in practice. I just don't see why you would use CB over Life Orb or Dragon Gem, doesn't really make sense to me.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
cb gives you more constant power than dragon gem and doesnt compromise your good bulk like life orb. also it grants 20% more power than life orb, so you're going to be dealing huge amounts of damage (also you're 2HKOing alot of the tier w/ STAB so being locked in isn't too bad)

Stratos

Banned deucer.
cb outrage is the most offensive pressure you can ever imagine, because you can't even predict it and stop it with protect and if it hits a double protect or something then it resets the confusion timer/lets you switch out. If you have a specific thing you want to snipe, cb dragon claw 2hkoes cress and gets a guaranteed ohko on shit like 192/0 thundurus (standard bulky spread). It OHKOes all non-fighting-type intimidate users in the tier (KOes Gyara THROUGH WACAN) and isn't ohkoed by steel gem scizor / fighting gem breloom, the two strongest priority attacks in the game. literally the only flaw with it is that things can outspeed and KO with its common weaknesses. i tried using literally any other kyurem-b set and found myself going "why am i not just using CB." choice band kyurem should be the first set imo, and not even being oo is a literal disgrace.

edit: why would you suggest dclaw / fusion bolt / rock slide / shadow claw the only proper set is dclaw / outrage / fusion bolt / ice beam (or blizzard if hail team) adamant

Last edited:
cb outrage is the most offensive pressure you can ever imagine, because you can't even predict it and stop it with protect and if it hits a double protect or something then it resets the confusion timer/lets you switch out. If you have a specific thing you want to snipe, cb dragon claw 2hkoes cress and gets a guaranteed ohko on shit like 192/0 thundurus (standard bulky spread). It OHKOes all non-fighting-type intimidate users in the tier (KOes Gyara THROUGH WACAN) and isn't ohkoed by steel gem scizor / fighting gem breloom, the two strongest priority attacks in the game. literally the only flaw with it is that things can outspeed and KO with its common weaknesses. i tried using literally any other kyurem-b set and found myself going "why am i not just using CB." choice band kyurem should be the first set imo, and not even being oo is a literal disgrace.

edit: why would you suggest dclaw / fusion bolt / rock slide / shadow claw the only proper set is dclaw / outrage / fusion bolt / ice beam (or blizzard if hail team) adamant
Like I said, I've never used CB Kyurem-B :p

-EDIT-
I'd also like for someone to take over this skeleton, I really don't have the time to finish it atm, so sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)