It's a trap! A smogon doubles team

Hi guys, this is noobcubed, and after a few months of bumming around in the hundreds somewhere on the ladder with my smogon username's account I made a new alt and reached number one with it without losing a match! Admittedly most of the wins were against lower ranked players, and I had a bit of hax here and there, there were definitely times I thought I was going to lose, and won because of random number generation or opposition misplays, and maybe this is an indication of the state of the ladder more than anything. So, anyways, here is a screenshot to prove it, complete with an awful pun for a user name:
stuff.png

So, anyways, I should probably get on with the team. Feel free to suggest improvements, massage my ego a little by showering me with praise, or start a massive flame war about how unjust it is that such a badly-constructed team ever did so well. Actually, don't do that last one.

The team:
a.png

Politoed @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP/252 Sp Def/8 Speed
IVs: 0 Atk
Calm Nature

- Surf
- Helping Hand
- Perish Song
- Protect

A fairly standard Politoed set, and its job is to do what any Politoed set does: bring rain. Specially defensive Politoed isn't OHKO'ed by that much, for example modest Shaymin-S's seed flare does a maximum 99% without a boosting item. Even without attacking investment, Surf can hit decently hard when boosted by its own weather. Helping hand is mainly for sweeping through teams with Kingdra, although stuff like enabling Hitmontop to OHKO Latios with sucker punch can be crucial. As for perish song, well it has other uses such as shuffling out random stuff like calm mind Cresselia and tail glow Manaphy, but if you've read the title and you've seen the idea before you probably know what's coming later on...
b.png

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Sp Atk/4 Sp Def/252 Speed
Modest Nature

- Muddy Water
- Draco Meteor
- Substitute
- Protect

If I think I can get away with it from the team preview, I'll just lead with Politoed and Kingdra from the get go and try and sweep through the entire team. Realistically though, that doesn't happen to good opponents. Muddy water and draco meteor are the standard attacks, and Kingdra doesn't really need coverage after that. I mainly use substitute when I spot a Thundurus on the other side, as Kingdra has often been wrecked permanently by prankster thunder wave, and subbing on the switch removes the problem; sub is also great against sucker punch users. Often, though, instead of sweeping, I'll reserve Kingdra to revenge kill a particular threat, such as Kyurem-B. Muddy water can be distressingly miss-prone at times, so I'm considering changing to surf instead.
c.png

Hitmontop @ Fighting Gem
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Speed
IVs: 0 Sp Atk
Adamant Nature

- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Sucker Punch
- Detect

So far, so generic. This Hitmontop set is far from original but it is very good, providing both support and offensive presence. In particular, it helps me win the weather war against sand by giving me something to scare the pants off Tyranitar with. Switch in Hitmontop, watch as Tyranitar protects or runs away and then Fake Out his partner, giving yourself a free turn. Works every time. Fighting gem gives a massively powerful close combat but dark gem is also usable as it enables me to one-shot Latios, as well as the inexplicably-popular-on-the-ladder Gengar.
d.png

Thundurus @ Yache Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 208 HP/252 Sp Atk/48 Speed
IVs: 30 HP/30 Atk/30 Def/30 Sp Atk/30 Sp Def
Modest Nature

- Thunder
- Hidden Power Flying
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

There is often not a lot players can do to stop Thundurus paralysing half their team. I guess I am trying to have my cake and eat it with the EV spread, trying to have power and bulk, and I may change this. 48 speed EVs outrun and speed creep uninvested Whimsicott, allowing me to taunt the thing into submission. Thundurus is great at slowing down the opposition and allowing my bulky mons to outrun them. Hidden power flying allows me to hit grass types, particularly Ludicolo and Abomasnow, more powerfully than hp ice, and Kingdra hits everything else ice covers anyway. I'm sure I'm not the only person who wishes Thundurus had hurricane, though.

e.png

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP/212 Sp Def/44 Speed
IVs: 0 Sp Atk
Careful Nature

- Power whip
- Leech seed
- Thunder wave
- Protect

People say that there are no defensive threats in doubles, only attackers and supporters. However, Ferrothorn is one of the few exceptions. In fact, on several occasions, Ferrothorn has often been a win condition for me by leech seeding everything to death after the stuff that can kill it has gone, which it can do even when two-on-one. It's also a reliable paralysis spreader, at least for as long as it can avoid being taunted, and the paralysis can kick in at crucial times to give Ferrothorn more time to stall for leech seed recovery. Finally, having something that can switch into stuff like Latios's draco meteor without batting an eyelid is a luxury that not many teams have. 44 speed EVs allow me outrun paralysed Terrakion, while keeping Ferrothorn slow enough to do good work against middle-speed trick room, and I've gone specially defensive because intimidate support helps on the other side.
f.png

Gothitelle @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP/164 Sp Atk/92 Sp Def
Calm Nature

- Psychic
- Skill Swap
- Rest
- Protect

Be honest, you knew this was coming, it's the inspiration for the team's name even. Gothitelle's niche is admittedly Shadow Tag, which I use to keep stuff locked in when affected by intimidate, leech seed, and of course perish song, which i depend on to kill Cresselia and a few others (maybe Jirachi if it gets popular now the event has happened). On the surface there is little else going for it. Ergo, skill swap gives Shadow Tag to something much better which can be massively useful. Also, if Gothitelle acquires Politoed's drizzle or Hitmontop's intimidate, these abilities immediately reactivate, which is a nice bonus. For example, against lead Tyranitar, I can lead the Politoed/Gothitelle combination, skill swap to Politoed as Tyranitar destroys me with crunch, to keep him trapped and change the weather. A few turns of time stalling later I am 5-4 up and have won the weather war. Gothitelle's other use is to trap and kill fighting types, after which not much can kill Ferrothorn in the rain; the EVs guarnatee a kill on 252/4 Hitmontop after it has fired off a close combat. Chesto/rest improves Gothitelle's longevity, which is crucial as it will be often stalling for time, but being able to switch into and trap Breloom and Amoongus as they fire off a spore is also really nice.

Thanks for bearing with me, I'll do an importable if people want to see it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)