SS OU Hunting Predators

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
This team is one of the most consistent teams I've built thus far. If you've seen the teambuilding competition, this team might seem familiar because this one is an updated version of it. I was able to use the original team to get to around 1650, the highest elo I've ever reached, but then the team's problems became more apparent so I updated it to this. Then the rng says fuck you and dropped me back down to 1500 so I guess I'm cursed to be stuck in this range. I don't particularly mind it since and that doesn't mean I can't ask for advice on the team

:urshifu::landorus-therian::corviknight::slowking-galar::dragapult::garchomp:

Now, if you're curious, here is the original squad. As you can see, that team has a ton of issues and the most notable one was Tapu Koko. When I updated it, I stuck to the original plan which was future sight + bear. I named the team as such because Urshifu is among the higher ups in ou's food chain while Garchomp and Dragapult are the apex predators, mostly anyway

:choice band::ss/urshifu-rapid-strike::choice band:
Unseen Fist
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Aqua Jet
- Close Combat
- Surging Strikes

Starting things off is the star of the team. One of the more reliable yet annoying wall breakers in the tier. By annoying I mean rocky helmet. It's just the garden variety Urshifu you see everyday. I mainly chose it because if you know me, you'd know that I absolutely despise boots. Urshifu is one of the mons that can actually delete Volcarona from existence so this mon has its uses. Any further benefits this mon has is just icing on the cake as I just chose it because it is a wall breaker that does not care how many dances Volcarona has up and can keep my team somewhat safe against it since it doesn't have Heatran

:leftovers::sm/landorus-therian::leftovers:
Intimidate
252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Smack Down
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Next off is the most common used in ou. I chose it to be a buffer against a lot of physical attackers while reliably setting up stealth rock. For the moves, I went with smack down + earthquake to really piss on the metal birds that are so annoying. This also gave me a reliable way to poison Rillaboom. If a metal bird is paired with Rillaboom, it is almost always going to switch to gorilla to reduce eq damage and kill Lando, which most of the time ends up in me poisoning Rilla

:rocky helmet::ss/corviknight::rocky helmet:
Pressure
252 HP / 168 / 88 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- U turn
- Body Press

Zapdos originally had this slot to contain the grass types and not be vulnerable to the cancer known as Magnezone. However, this had a lot of problems with the main one being Tapu Lele. Lele ripped the original team apart and Kyurem ends up having a massive field day. Corviknight helps somewhat alleviate these issues while still maintaining Zapdos' job of containing the grasses. I chose body press as the attacking move because fuck Weavile and Bisharp while u turn allows me to pivot around opposing sd Garchomp, which can be a massive threat to the team

:assault vest::ss/slowking-galar::assault vest:
Regenerator
252 HP / 112 SpA / 144 SpD
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- Future Sight
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower

From the original team, this was regular Slowking. However, Tapu Koko was a massive nuisance and Landorus isn't a reliable answer. I decided to replace it with its galarian form to maintain the future sight, can actually check Tapu Lele and more importantly, ensures Kyurem doesn't get that far out of hand. This also surprisingly ends up helping with the matchup against Rillaboom since I can switch it in on the grassy glide and turns its own terrain against it. At the moment, I am considering replacing fs with psyshock because without teleport, I keep forgetting that I ever click it in the first place. Sludge bomb is for fairies because fuck Clefable while flamethrower is for a certain durian. Ice beam is for Lando and Garchomp who thinks this mon is a free setup while also killing Dragapult. This is completely and utterly walled by Heatran but really, this isn't meant to take on Heatran anyway. For the ev spread, I have no idea what that does. That was just some random numbers I put in

:choice specs::ss/dragapult::choice specs:
Infiltrator
4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U turn
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Draco Meteor

Originally, this slot was Gengar. That was chosen because of how Dragapult plays. If Pult is speed control, what happens if both players are using Dragapult. Gengar allowed me to offensively check this behemoth but then another problem appeared. It's lack of firepower and heavy prediction reliant, heavier than Dragapult since at least Pult has u turn. For those reason I replaced it with Dragapult since Pult has more damage with specs and u turn. It does give me that risk of speed tie but the upsides of Pult is massive compared to Gengar and with galarian Slowking, I still maintain the ability to check the fairies

:leftovers::sm/garchomp::leftovers:
Rough Skin
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fire Fang
- Scale Shot
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

For the last slot, I still needed a sweeper. I chose Garchomp for this role because it can switch it can take a +1 Volcarona and reverse sweep from there. Aside from that, there really isn't much to say since Garchomp is still at the top of the food chain and has like, four checks, that are common anyway. It also serves as a Heatran check which is always appreciated because Heatran is one of the most obnoxious mons to face. Garchomp also greatly benefits from Urshifu's ability to make life miserable for opposing Lando because intimidate is annoying

Threats:

:ss/dragapult:

Surprise, surprise. This is probably the biggest threat because rng is bs. Once I get Garchomp to +1 this mon is no longer a problem but until then, this is a major pain in the ass especially if its some random choice band or dd set

:sm/magnezone:

Does this come as a shock? I think magnet pull still being allowed while arena trap and shadow tag aren't is bs but what can I do. This stupid mon forces me to play carefully

:sm/weavile:

This one isn't exactly a threat but more like a massive nuisance. As I said, I hate boots and I am the world's number one Charizard hater because of gamefreak always simping for it. I do have Urshifu for it but losing my choice band is annoying. Usually I just rage quit whenever I see a boots Weavile because I get so tilted whenever I see a pokemon that should be only half decent but this gen's horrible mechanics make them top tier. It's bullshit

:sm/kyurem: :sm/tapu lele:

Like with Weavile, these two aren't exactly a threat because my defensive core can somewhat contain them but they can still be a major pain in the ass if my defensive core is weakened. Kyurem especially can be a problem because galarian Slowking can't exactly kill it

Well, that's the team. Any advice will be appreciated

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Team structures like this with a small defensive backbone tend to be one dimensional in nature, so it's hard to suggest changes to make, as the teams success usually relies on the ability to pilot the offensive core. I don't really want to completely change your team structure, but I can suggest a few things that might be worth trying out. Keep in mind that these changes won't make the team vastly better, but rather will change up the threats to the team, letting you pick which ones you want to manage better over others.

Weavile>Garchomp is an option to consider if you think dragapult is the biggest threat to your team. It's a soft check but you can tank a shadow ball and force it out so you can do weavile things. I don't think this is the best change because it opens you up to Heatran quite a bit while also making Volcarona a bigger pain. youre stronger vs opposing Garchomps/Lando s and you're more consistent against Torn, but makes pex harder to break and makes the team more frail. I'd go Adamant boots SD because it sweeps through teams with ease if you decide to make this change.

If you keep garchomp, Ferro > Corv and Torn > Lando T changes the defensive core to strengthen the match up against Rillazone and weavile (with BP Ferro), but pult becomes more difficult to pivot around. Rocks ferro also isn't the strongest, but it's passable as it annoys the shit out of corv and non heat wave Torn. You keep a lele check with this change and get more speed with this team as well. I'd go with this change if you think weavile is the biggest threat, but you need to keep garchomp if you do, as you need at least one Ground type to keep zeraora at bay (koko is handled by Ferro + gking)

If you don't want to change any mons at all, I'd make Lando have more spdef (at least 124 EVs) to strengthen the matchup vs volc and pult and put u-turn > smack down. U turn gives you more opportunities to bring in your breakers without having to make double switches.

Flamethrower>Fire blast on pult because you don't get any notable OHKOes/2HKOes and missing sucks.

I'll post the sets below. I like the team, I'm a fan of BO and I think you have a good one here. The ladder is full of garbage and random shit and you can't prepare for everything in the builder. The 1500-1700 range is a lawless place where you face everything under the sun and people that make dumb plays that make no sense. I wouldn't be too worried about losses here. They happen, just learn and move on.

Weavile @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Pickpocket
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Triple Axel
- Ice Shard

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Body Press
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed

EVs avoid OHKO from +2 axel at like 85% and 2HKO from pult shadow ball comfortably

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Team structures like this with a small defensive backbone tend to be one dimensional in nature, so it's hard to suggest changes to make, as the teams success usually relies on the ability to pilot the offensive core. I don't really want to completely change your team structure, but I can suggest a few things that might be worth trying out. Keep in mind that these changes won't make the team vastly better, but rather will change up the threats to the team, letting you pick which ones you want to manage better over others.

Weavile>Garchomp is an option to consider if you think dragapult is the biggest threat to your team. It's a soft check but you can tank a shadow ball and force it out so you can do weavile things. I don't think this is the best change because it opens you up to Heatran quite a bit while also making Volcarona a bigger pain. youre stronger vs opposing Garchomps/Lando s and you're more consistent against Torn, but makes pex harder to break and makes the team more frail. I'd go Adamant boots SD because it sweeps through teams with ease if you decide to make this change.

If you keep garchomp, Ferro > Corv and Torn > Lando T changes the defensive core to strengthen the match up against Rillazone and weavile (with BP Ferro), but pult becomes more difficult to pivot around. Rocks ferro also isn't the strongest, but it's passable as it annoys the shit out of corv and non heat wave Torn. You keep a lele check with this change and get more speed with this team as well. I'd go with this change if you think weavile is the biggest threat, but you need to keep garchomp if you do, as you need at least one Ground type to keep zeraora at bay (koko is handled by Ferro + gking)

If you don't want to change any mons at all, I'd make Lando have more spdef (at least 124 EVs) to strengthen the matchup vs volc and pult and put u-turn > smack down. U turn gives you more opportunities to bring in your breakers without having to make double switches.

Flamethrower>Fire blast on pult because you don't get any notable OHKOes/2HKOes and missing sucks.

I'll post the sets below. I like the team, I'm a fan of BO and I think you have a good one here. The ladder is full of garbage and random shit and you can't prepare for everything in the builder. The 1500-1700 range is a lawless place where you face everything under the sun and people that make dumb plays that make no sense. I wouldn't be too worried about losses here. They happen, just learn and move on.

Weavile @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Pickpocket
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Triple Axel
- Ice Shard

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Body Press
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed

EVs avoid OHKO from +2 axel at like 85% and 2HKO from pult shadow ball comfortably
Thanks. I'll test this out sometime soon when I have some free time. I'm gonna be too busy to actually try to win in a battle this week. I think I'll keep Garchomp over Weavile though because I don't exactly have a problem against opposing Lando. Chomp almost always forces in Lando so I can take advantage of that by future sight or double switch to Urshifu. And I'm also not that familiar with the damage Weavile deals unlike Garchomp or Urshifu where I can almost always estimate how much damage I'm gonna deal

What's the spread that bp Magnezone uses that Ferrothorn can annoy it anyway? And won't replacing Corv and Lando with Ferro and Torn make me lose to opposing Garchomps? I had a team that had those two in it and Garchomp just rips through it and Dragapult does not switch into it at all

Oh and at least 1500 is somewhat manageable. You should see the insanity that lies in the >1400 ranks. You will find guys that actually use Charizard and Morpeko in there

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thanks. I'll test this out sometime soon when I have some free time. I'm gonna be too busy to actually try to win in a battle this week. I think I'll keep Garchomp over Weavile though because I don't exactly have a problem against opposing Lando. Chomp almost always forces in Lando so I can take advantage of that by future sight or double switch to Urshifu. And I'm also not that familiar with the damage Weavile deals unlike Garchomp or Urshifu where I can almost always estimate how much damage I'm gonna deal

What's the spread that bp Magnezone uses that Ferrothorn can annoy it anyway? And won't replacing Corv and Lando with Ferro and Torn make me lose to opposing Garchomps? I had a team that had those two in it and Garchomp just rips through it and Dragapult does not switch into it at all

Oh and at least 1500 is somewhat manageable. You should see the insanity that lies in the >1400 ranks. You will find guys that actually use Charizard and Morpeko in there
Yes, the changes I suggested make garchomp more difficult to play against. Like I said in my original post, any of the changes I suggest just change up what the team is weak to. It's impossible to cover everything with 6 mons. I just thought it might be worth trying out other mons to change the weaknesses of the team up a bit to see if it nets you any better success.

As far as my comments with the better matchup vs rillazone, Ferro doesn't necessarily beat mag 1v1, but between Leech and BP, it can annoy it and make it a 1 for 1 trade. But what I mainly meant is that Torn doesn't get trapped by zone, so rilla won't ever sweep you as long as you keep it healthy. And BP Ferro beats weavile if you keep it healthy

Also don't get me started on the lower ladder I purposefully ignored it to keep my sanity lol

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Yes, the changes I suggested make garchomp more difficult to play against. Like I said in my original post, any of the changes I suggest just change up what the team is weak to. It's impossible to cover everything with 6 mons. I just thought it might be worth trying out other mons to change the weaknesses of the team up a bit to see if it nets you any better success.

As far as my comments with the better matchup vs rillazone, Ferro doesn't necessarily beat mag 1v1, but between Leech and BP, it can annoy it and make it a 1 for 1 trade. But what I mainly meant is that Torn doesn't get trapped by zone, so rilla won't ever sweep you as long as you keep it healthy. And BP Ferro beats weavile if you keep it healthy

Also don't get me started on the lower ladder I purposefully ignored it to keep my sanity lol
I see. I think I'm gonna stick with Corviknight and Landorus because I would rather not lose to Garchomp. I know how terrifying that shark can be since I've turned around so many battles with it

I will make a new account though and play your changes on that one instead. I don't want to get back to > 1400 hell again

At least ss ou > 1400 is a lot better than nat dex > 1400 lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)