Media General Music Discussion Thread

Since most people prefer music with lyrics, allow me to direct you to Gotye.
HE IS NOT A ONE HIT WONDER!
He has plenty of great songs, like I Feel Better, State of the Art, and Smoke and MIrrors. Criminally underrated.

Speaking of Kendrick, the Grammy award-winning GOAT rapper dropped a new track. I have to say, it's different from a lot of his other work. I wonder if it's because Ryan Lewis wasn't involved with this one?

Mr. Uncompetitive

She had a habit of meeting all of the artists...
is a Contributor Alumnus

Brand new Korean Riot Grrl/Punk Rock band with a loooot of crunchy noise feedback who put out their debut EP last week (I've described them as "Death From Above for the gays"). I don't know if I love their debut, but I do like it and have a weird feeling they're going to get very popular, rooting for them :blobthumbsup:

(Also to sell any Korean music nerds on this band, apparently Meaningful Stone was briefly involved with this band???)

In honor of the recently deceased Steve Albini, here's a Black Flag song that I enjoy. You may know it for being sampled on "Klink" by Death Grips.

EDIT: It seems that I have confused Big Black, Steve Albini's band, with the unrelated Black Flag. I will leave this post up as a monument to my failure.

Last edited:

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Here is an update on what I have been listening to:

I recently got into System Of A Down because I have been doing karaoke and enjoy singing B.Y.O.B. I was told I am pretty good at it, even though a good chunk of the song is screaming.
I also love listening to Nirvana Heart Shaped Box.
I hope to periodically share what I have been listening to document how I constantly change the type of music I listen to depending on what sounds good to me.

Mr. Uncompetitive

She had a habit of meeting all of the artists...
is a Contributor Alumnus
Joanna Wang came back from a hiatus and put out what's probably going to be my Album of the Year, and it also has the coolest album art I've ever seen lol. Go check it out!!!!!! (especially if you're a fan of wacky pop like Lemon Demon, There Might Be Giants, and honestly even Kero Kero Bonito)

For anyone unfamiliar with Joanna Wang (especially video game music fans) I also would HIGHLY recommend her album Galaxy Crisis, it's basically "What if Ashley from WarioWare made an album." Hotel La Rut is still very wacky but it's less vgm-inspired and more theatrical.

Last edited:

Elvira

formerly bruised

Are my Ethel Cain girlies here in the room with me? I absolutely have been adoring her music a lot more recently as I love the story telling. Though some songs she has are a bit on the more graphic side. Gibson Girl and Strangers are my top two favorite ones at the current moment.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hind’s Hall - Macklemore

Music Video [HIGHLY recommend]

Song only (Not Age Restricted - Watchable without age confirmed account)

In my view unquestionably the most powerful sound from ALL of modern music, certainly the greatest art I’ve experienced in 2024.

No need for explanation, nor metaphor— this man did not stutter. An incredible cry for liberty in the face of a dark hour for humanity.

And all proceeds going to UNRWA (United Nations Relief Agency for Palestine) - the only org with significant infrastructure in Gaza for relief, though UNRWA has been badly affected by defunding from the U.S.

Absolutely brilliant Macklemore - free Palestine.

Hind Rajab was a 6-year-old girl from Gaza. In January 2024, she and her family were shelled by the Israeli army while in their car. Hind and her 15-year-old cousin, Layan Hamadeh, were the only survivors, trapped within the car. They called the Palestinian Red Cross Society, with Layan saying, 'They are shooting at us. The tank is right next to me. We're in the car, and the tank is right next to us.' The PCRS sent a team to rescue them.

However, after 12 days, on February 10th, when the Israeli army withdrew from the area, Hind Rajab and her six relatives were found dead in the car, along with the two paramedics sent to rescue them, who were also found dead nearby.

In the protests at Columbia, students deployed a historic tactic from critical protests of the past— occupying Hamilton Hall, which they renamed Hind’s Hall.

Last edited:
im open to everything music wise but recently i noticed - even if i enjoy all sometimes "Home is best" and (i know seems an easy thought but i use listening to new things at work as a distraction from the human reality none of wanna be there lmfao. that said you end up away from your norm for some time often) I went back to some of the rock/metal/even folk my parents liked and growing up and it felt like a warm blanket.
knowing every lyric to a song you love but cant remember last time you listened to is a beautiful thing.
i grew up on that and stuff like insane clown posse and the juggalo realm (which i never left) lol; was nice going back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)