General Doubles Metagame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neliel

Sacred Sword
Is there a particular reason why detect is used over protect? i did some battles and i've seen it sometimes

Is there a particular reason why detect is used over protect? i did some battles and i've seen it sometimes
Imprison. All Imprison users learn protect but most don't learn Detect (Zoroark and Azelf being the excepts). Most Imprison users hit for nothing but Kyurem-B learns Imprison and their partner can also attack. Rule of thumb, if your pokemon learns detect, use it over protect.

I've noticed that Shuckle usage is starting to gain momentum. There are A LOT of interesting doubles strategies with Shuckle. The bulk helps in this metagame, the low speed helps for trick room and the trolly movepool is unpredictable at times.

Also, I just started trying out trick room... it is unstoppable.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Also, I just started trying out trick room... it is unstoppable.
TR is certainly a good play style, but I don't know if I would call it unstoppable. In the context of the current ladder meta, it's probably the strongest archetype, but I would guess that's largely due to the singles players typically using teams with lots of fast frail Pokémon and inexperienced players in general not knowing how to deal with it.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
^ IF tr is unstoppable then im an eskimo

As to the Stealth Rock discussion, penguinx is absolutely right in his analysis. When i was using SR the pokemon was basically on my team "to set SR," and if anything else got done by that member it was bonus. I'd often have my leadape use SR while my toed surfed ffs (if there were no fake out users on the opponent's team of course). i'm sure that players will find a way to integrate SR into good sets so that you only need three other moveslots to be successful in the future, if it's as good as we're thinking it is.

Perhaps something like this?

Cradily @ Sitrus Berry/Expert Belt
Storm Drain
Sassy
(i'm bad at EVs, but probably something with HP/SpD)
0 Spe IV
-Stealth Rock
-Rock Slide
-Giga Drain
-Protect

Surprisingly useful two-move coverage that serves to more or less demolish a lot of common Rain Pokemon such as Gastro, Politoed, Skymin, Thundurus. SR is useful in beating out Sun and Hail teams, cradily's absurdly low speed is useful in combatting Trick Room, and it gets easy SpA boosts. This is more or less talking out of my ass, but in theory this could be a potent set.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Perhaps something like this?

Cradily @ Sitrus Berry/Expert Belt
Water Absorb
Sassy
(i'm bad at EVs, but probably something with HP/SpD)
0 Spe IV
-Stealth Rock
-Rock Slide
-Energy Ball
-Protect

Surprisingly useful two-move coverage that serves to more or less demolish a lot of common Rain Pokemon such as Gastro, Politoed, Skymin, Thundurus. SR is useful in beating out Sun and Hail teams, cradily's absurdly low speed is useful in combatting Trick Room, and it gets easy recovery if you use it on a rain team with surf abusers. This is more or less talking out of my ass, but in theory this could be a potent set.
Cradily gets Storm Drain, not Water Absorb. So you could gain Sp.Atk with surf abusers so it may be worth using AncientPower/HP Rock over Rockslide. But then again Rock Slide does hit 2 foes so it may be more useful especially when you don't have a boost in Sp.Atk. Also Giga Drain is legal with Storm Drain now thanks to the BW2 tutors now. It does get recover but with Stealth Rock it's difficult to fit into a moveslot. Cradily does seem like an underated pokemon to use to combat many rain pokemon though, a water immunity is a great thing to have in this meta, I find.

I'm loving Harvest Exeggutor right now on my TR team, full Sp. Attack and then investing in his bulk and practically nothing KO's that you can't work around with Protect/partner deals with.

Under sun it's extremely potent and very demoralising for your opponent to see the berry used, harvested and then used again.

Another replay from my TrickSun team: http://www.pokemonshowdown.com/replay/smogondoubles9347756

I particularly liked my opponent's comments at the end.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Just went through and had to delete a bunch of posts. Let me make this clear: this is not the place to compare VGC with Smogon Doubles. This thread is specifically meant to introduce the idea of an unofficial doubles ladder and discuss strategies people find successful in the environment. It's not against the rules to say, "Oh hey, this strategy works really well in VGC, and I find that it's application in Smogon Doubles works." What is against the rules is comparing the two and bickering over which one is "better" or "more competitive". Take those discussions to IRC, or better yet, learn to live without them.

I've updated the original post of this thread to make this point clear. Please continue as you were~

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
TR is certainly a good play style, but I don't know if I would call it unstoppable. In the context of the current ladder meta, it's probably the strongest archetype, but I would guess that's largely due to the singles players typically using teams with lots of fast frail Pokémon and inexperienced players in general not knowing how to deal with it.
That, pretty much. Chandelure (who easily murders Psychics not named Cresselia) and Cresselia are good for either reversing or Imprisoning it, if not setting it up yourself (like against a Rain team.) Uxie might be good, since it's got the fastest Imprison afaik (note: in my limited experience, it was not), but Cress does the anti-TR job better.

TR seems very overrated.

I am currently largely preferring helping hand and high power move combinations, It can be dangerous to double target or helping hand + target because of protect but its great at removing pokemon that often don't have protect/detect (cress, hitmontop).

For example leading with whimsicott can be so trollish as she is almost ALWAYS the target of any fake outs, but then you just helping hand your partner who can then go on to ohko the fake out user or their partner. (A note for those that didn't know, helping hand has priority higher than fake out)

For example Whimsi + Tornadus-I lead:

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
252Def/252Spd
0HP IV
Timid/Jolly
-Endeavour
-Helping Hand
-Anything
-Anything

Tornadus-I @ Flight Gem
Jolly
Trait: Defiant
-Acrobatics
-Heatwave
-Protect
-Superpower/u-turn

With the helping hand boost Tornadus-I ohkoes almost the entire tier with acrobatics (that fails to resist it). If you get lucky and they go with an intimidate lead, then it is even ohkoing some Cresselia!

I am also enjoying support Breloom! It's great at dealing with bulky waters and rain/sand teams in general with its resistances to discharge, surf, earthquake and rock slide. If you EV it right, it can also take a few non sun boosted heatwaves here and there. It can absorb the odd non STAB ice beam but won't take Blizzards well at all but thats what Metagross excels against! Breloom also baits double targeting like no other so use that to your advantage!

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Customised ev's
-Seed Bomb
-Helping Hand
-Spore
-Protect

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I have a question, sorry if it comes across as obvious... But why do people use imprison and trickroom to counter trickroom when using trickroom just reverses its effects? So why waste 2 slots for it when you could just use up one to reverse it?

Imprison also blocks up Protect and you would have to waste turns switching the Trick Room back. Also, they can play around you switching Trick Room back with prediction. Also, a fast Imprison makes them waste a turn completely with a failed Trick Room+probable Protect on the other Pokemon. Also, it stops them from even getting a single turn to abuse it.
But you're right, that is asking for quite a lot of moveslots. Cresselia/Chandelure can pull it off with Leftovers+Helping Hand/Heat Wave.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
The main advantage of Imprison is that its effect is permanent as long as that Pokémon stays in play, whereas reversing it only lasts for one turn. And as youngjake mentioned, reversing it gives them a free turn to abuse it, unless you try to change it on the same turn which has its own problems, such as what happened to me in one match in the recent Wi-Fi tournament - I was using a TR team, they led with Bronzong, I expected it to try to reverse my TR based on past experience with Bronzong, so I *didn't* use TR and they set it up for me (then they DC'd, but that's not a problem on Showdown).

I am curious what you guys think about one of my favorite Pokemon in this metagame:

Hydreigon (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Draco Meteor
- Protect

Overall I prefer Hydreigon over Latios for a couple of reasons. The first is that it is overall a much stronger attacker since it can use a Modest Nature. Hydreigon is particularly devastating on Sun, since it gives Flamethrower a Pseudo-STAB. I have never encountered a situation where I really missed the speed, since there are so many way to make yourself faster than the opponent (Tailwind, Thunder Wave, and Icy Wind particularly). Secondly, that Dark-STAB is incredibly helpful against Creeselia. Considering it holds the #2 spot in the metagame right now, Hydreigon doesn't miss out on actually using its Dark-STAB. It is also helpful against Trick Room, since most Trick Room users are weak to Dark.

sandman

Bum bum bum bum
I am curious what you guys think about one of my favorite Pokemon in this metagame:

Hydreigon (F) @ Life Orb
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Draco Meteor
- Protect

Overall I prefer Hydreigon over Latios for a couple of reasons. The first is that it is overall a much stronger attacker since it can use a Modest Nature. Hydreigon is particularly devastating on Sun, since it gives Flamethrower a Pseudo-STAB. I have never encountered a situation where I really missed the speed, since there are so many way to make yourself faster than the opponent (Tailwind, Thunder Wave, and Icy Wind particularly). Secondly, that Dark-STAB is incredibly helpful against Creeselia. Considering it holds the #2 spot in the metagame right now, Hydreigon doesn't miss out on actually using its Dark-STAB. It is also helpful against Trick Room, since most Trick Room users are weak to Dark.
One of if not the best dragons in VGC 12. Don't see any initial reasons why it still wouldn't be although time will tell what effect the 6 member party and lack of item clause will have on this meta. Dark stab and it synergizes well with two of the best pokemon in vgc cress and metagross.

One of if not the best dragons in VGC 12. Don't see any initial reasons why it still wouldn't be although time will tell what effect the 6 member party and lack of item clause will have on this meta. Dark stab and it synergizes well with two of the best pokemon in vgc cress and metagross.
You could pair it off with Scizor or Mamoswine, depending on if you're trying to hit Chomp or Lati@s too I think, who are faster and can really stop Hydregion.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm loving Harvest Exeggutor right now on my TR team, full Sp. Attack and then investing in his bulk and practically nothing KO's that you can't work around with Protect/partner deals with.

Under sun it's extremely potent and very demoralising for your opponent to see the berry used, harvested and then used again.

Another replay from my TrickSun team: http://www.pokemonshowdown.com/replay/smogondoubles9347756

I particularly liked my opponent's comments at the end.
Harvest Exeggutor can be very deadly under the right hands. Wolfe used it in his World's team last year, and he earned 2nd place. He said it was his MVP.

I'd recommend specially defensive Exeggutor over max SpA Exeggutor though. It will make it that much harder to KO. I recommend 252 HP / 36 SpA / 220 SpD +SpD nature so Exeggutor cannot be OHKOed by Timid Latios' Dragon Gem Draco Meteor. It also enables more perks like surviving Thundurus-I's Flying Gem Hidden Power Flying, and only taking 43.65 - 51.77% from Modest Max SpA Politoed's Ice Beam. Given how well it takes non-STAB Ice Beams, it becomes a monster against rain teams. The bulk warrants the SpA drop, and it still has a 87.5% chance to OHKO 252 / 4 SpD Politoed with Leaf Storm, 93.75% if it doesn't have 4 SpD.

Power Trick is also interesting on Harvest Exeggutor. After Leaf Storm, give your -2 SpA to a foe, restoring your SpA and making Exeggutor even harder to take down. Also useful for stealing boosts from Pokemon who try to set up on Exeggutor and, if being hit by Intimidate, giving that -1 Atk to the opposing Intimidator (be careful that you don't take Hitmontop's Close Combat defensive drops though). You should try it some time if you find you don't need TR.

Here's a replay of specially defensive Harvest Exeggutor causing havoc against a rain team. Note, I actually find it better against rain teams than Gastrodon, as few Pokemon on a rain team can reliably take it down (Hurricane Dragonite is the only common Pokemon I see on rain teams that can do so). http://www.pokemonshowdown.com/replay/smogondoubles8972353

canno

formerly The Reptile

Hydreigon (F) @ Life Orb
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Draco Meteor
- Protect

Another thing that Hydreigon has over Lati@s is that it has access to Taunt, which is great vs TR teams. It makes for an interesting mix of Darkrai and Lati@s. It has similar bulk to Darkrai (although it has noticeably more HP than Darkrai), but it is much slower than both (98 is nothing compared to 125 and 110). Again, Speed isn't that big of a deal in Doubles due to the many ways to lower opponent speed / increase your own speed, but it's still something to note. A physical set also looks viable, as it has both Earthquake and Rock Slide for spread moves and Dragon Claw / Outrage / Crunch for STAB. Notably Earthquake could be used on a mixed set.
He could also be rather powerful with a Choice Scarf

Harvest Exeggutor can be very deadly under the right hands.
Thanks for the tip and the replay, loved watching it take those Ice Beams like a boss. My current Exeggutor setup is:

Exeggutor @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Harvest
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- SolarBeam
- Psychic
- Protect
- Trick Room

Solarbeam as it's on my sun team and as half the teams I play against are prone to leaving their weather starter vulnerable I get to use it more than I should and it doesn't have Leaf Storms drawback.

I'll have to try specially defensive though, after watching the replay I can see the benefits.

I have been tinkering with a Sun team a bit. It seems rather standard and I think the only remarkable thing I have is using Sableye for Gravity support to be able to spam Will-O-Wisp and have a sure-hit Sleep Power. But from what I've played the team overall hasn't been able to pull it's weight, more specifically Hariyama and Heatran and sometimes Cresselia, although that's probably me not being able to use it's set properly.

I really like the Sableye/Ninetales/Venusaur thing I have going, and it has worked pretty well so far, but the other half of the team is so-so and I'd appreciate some advice on how to change my team for the better. I was thinking on trying at least one more Gravity user and more Pokemon with moves that mix well with it to be able to abuse it fully but I haven't gone too deep into it.

Ninetales (F) @ Iron Ball Trait: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SAtk
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Heat Wave
- Will-O-Wisp
- Energy Ball
- Protect

Hariyama (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Guts
EVs: 216 Atk / 100 Def / 100 SDef / 92 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Cross Chop
- Fake Out
- Rock Slide
- Wide Guard

Sableye (M) @ Lagging Tail
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sunny Day
- Gravity
- Taunt

Venusaur (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 68 HP / 252 SAtk / 188 Spd
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Psyshock
- Icy Wind
- Moonlight
- Calm Mind

Heatran (M) @ Shuca Berry
Trait: Flash Fire
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok, I'll leave the 3 mon core you have intact since you said that you've had success with it. Anyways, here are some changes I'm proposing:

Not sure what purpose Lagging Tail on Sableye serves without Trick, but unless there's a real reason for it you should use Mental Herb instead, seeing as with your current moveset you're complete Taunt bait and are forced to switch against anything else with priority Taunt. Mental Herb prevents you from being shut down by Taunt so you can still get off a Gravity/Sunny Day when you need to.
Currently, Dragons are a big problem for your team as the only thing you have to hit them super-effectively is Icy Wind from Cresselia, and they resist the vast majority of moves found on the team (Heatran and Venusaur can't scratch Dragons at all outside of Sleep Powder from Venusaur, and Ninetales and Sableye only accomplish it through W-o-W). Thus, I think you should take out Stealth Rock on Heatran for Hidden Power [ICE]. Since Heatran already is able to take Dragon type hits, now it can hit them back for super-effective damage, which takes the pressure off of Cresselia to do so. Also, give Heatran 4 HP EVs since you're missing 4 EVs from your spread.
Hariyama doesn't seem to be doing much for your team, so instead I'd like to suggest Hitmontop. It will do much of the same thing except it's noticably faster, has a priority move in Sucker Punch to pick off fast threats and Intimidate to help cushion your mons against physical attackers even further, which can be helpful when you don't want to have to use a W-o-W. It also helps even further against Dragons since it neuters the attacking power of the physical dragons and can hit the main special dragons super-effectively between its two moves.
Set:
Hitmontop @ Fighting Gem
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Sucker Punch
- Wide Guard

Good luck, and hope I helped.

Helping Hand is also a viable move choice for both Cresselia and Hitmontop (if you choose to use it) considering both Ninetales and Heatran will be using powerful spread moves under Sun and it can help the rest of your team turn 2HKO's into 1HKO's.

My other question is: How often do you find yourself using Sludge Bomb on Venusaur?

I prefer Heat Wave on Hydreigon and well.. most things. Under sun it is 225 total base power for Heat Wave and 142 for Flamethrower. Plus you don't have to worry about predicting Protects or switches to fire resists and you can finish something off+start damaging something else at the same time.
I could see running Fire Blast, the only real benefit to Flamethrower is not giving a second STAB to Heatran+Chandelure. The minute increase in accuracy and single-target damage isn't really worth it imo.

I have been tinkering with a Sun team a bit. It seems rather standard and I think the only remarkable thing I have is using Sableye for Gravity support to be able to spam Will-O-Wisp and have a sure-hit Sleep Power. But from what I've played the team overall hasn't been able to pull it's weight, more specifically Hariyama and Heatran and sometimes Cresselia, although that's probably me not being able to use it's set properly.

I really like the Sableye/Ninetales/Venusaur thing I have going, and it has worked pretty well so far, but the other half of the team is so-so and I'd appreciate some advice on how to change my team for the better. I was thinking on trying at least one more Gravity user and more Pokemon with moves that mix well with it to be able to abuse it fully but I haven't gone too deep into it.

Ninetales (F) @ Iron Ball Trait: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SAtk
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Heat Wave
- Will-O-Wisp
- Energy Ball
- Protect

Hariyama (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Guts
EVs: 216 Atk / 100 Def / 100 SDef / 92 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Cross Chop
- Fake Out
- Rock Slide
- Wide Guard

Sableye (M) @ Lagging Tail
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sunny Day
- Gravity
- Taunt

Venusaur (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 68 HP / 252 SAtk / 188 Spd
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Psyshock
- Icy Wind
- Moonlight
- Calm Mind

Heatran (M) @ Shuca Berry
Trait: Flash Fire
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
Try running Lilligant over Venusaur, with a spread of Modest 76 SpA, 252 Speed, and the rest in HP with Giga Drain/Sleep Powder/Quiver Dance(or Stun Spore)/Protect and give it a Lum Berry. It outspeeds Venusaur, and has a higher base Special Attack (110), and is almost as bulky.

is it worth running shadow ball over psychic on gardevoir?
I'm using a set with telepathy, and imprision/trick room/ helping hand/ attacking move. I use it to screw over Reuniclus, but is there other trick room mons worth hitting using Shadow Ball instead of Psychic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)