FURAIGON

Basicaly, I've been in love with the flying green dragon since I got first layed hands on him in Pokemon Colleseum. Unfortunately this guy has been power creeped to a much more niche role, forcing him to play the switch turn game or perform late game sweep up to be of real use in BW. Overall I've been terribly indecisive about this team, but I've put together a couple versions to see what happens. I'd like some input.

Aegis (Skarmory) @ Leftovers

Trait: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spd
Impish Nature
- Whirlwind
- Spikes
- Brave Bird
- Roost
Ferrothorn was a stroooong contender for this spot, and may find reason to jump in and steal it. I wanted a defensive pokemon who could stop dragons, and lay down stealth rock AND spikes. I also enjoy that Skarmory gives Flygon free switch-ins on electric moves. Of course it's weaknesses are also both resisted by rotom, and Chansey will take special attacks almost as well as Blissey.
(Has Whirlwind as of post 5)
Spirit (Flygon) @ Choice Band

Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- U-turn
As much as I wish Flygon was the star of the team.... Well, I've tried the scarfed variant and I by far prefer the power of the Choice Band. He now has the strength to leave U-Turn shaped dents in pokemon like Jirachi and Tyranitar, as well as having an earthquake/ Outrage capable of OHKOing super-effectives. And true to the initial description, his good speed allows him to Outrage ftw for endgame clean up. Being both U-turn scouting AND potential game ender, Flygon needs all the hazards he can get his hands on to make that happen. All said and done, he's not exactly the great offensive force I'd like him to be... probably due to the risk throwing out Outrage puts him in. Should I opt for Dragon Claw to keep versatility? It might be fine for clean up, though it can't OKHO a full health dragon who isn't Salamence.
As for Firepunch..... Purple Mantis fear, more than anything.

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf

Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick
Rotom used to be a Jolteon for a while, and it just may end up being one again later. A Voltswitcher seems like a nobrainer considering the U-turner and hazard layer. I like that he resists most hazards and has nice synergy with the team, though to be honest Gastrodon, along with other ground types have been giving him a lot of grief. Perhaps I need some grass?

Holly (Jellicent) (F) @ Leftovers

Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 Spd
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
(As of post 3, Chansey has been switched out for Jellicent.) Jelly helps keep the spikes in by... being a ghost, lol. The stall breaker set also prevents spinners from doing their own set up, or flinging toxic onto by Jellyfish. It resists fire for Skarmory, while Skarmory resists the rest of it's weaknesses... except for electric. I'm taking a bit of a gamble here, and supposing that my prediction skills can get Flygon or Rotom in there when electric moves are truly coming.

Forretress @ Leftovers

Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 200 HP / 56 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch
- Toxic Spikes
- Pain Split
More hazards you say? Indeed, and with a balanced defense spread, this guy can find plenty of chances to drop in and finish the spike layers. Being mixed also means that Pain split can get alot more usage against those bulky waters who keep thinking they can stop this guy. I opted for volt switch, seeing as it's sort of the theme here... and I didn't bother with other hazards, as rocks and spikes seems like enough, and I want all the other moves. Yes... I like the rapid spin. It seems natural to me that a team that focuses on switching would want hazards gone...
(Has less hp to abuse pain split, and toxic spikes for hazard coverage as of post 3)
Infernape @ Choice Scarf

Trait: Blaze
EVs: 108 Atk / 148 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Overheat
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
I can't fully justify him being on the team. I liked the idea of the coverage he could give, and that's about it. Fire fighting alone is a great combination, and keeps the army of Genesects at bay. Infernape sits in an experimental spot, and I really think there may be a better Pokemon to jump in and fit the slot. Regardless, he does help out the team with the aforementioned coverage to threaten quite the array of Pokemon. I guess he can switch in on Ice and Fire sometimes...
(Carries a scarf as of post 3)

My only condition here really is that I keep Flygon on the team. I already have a more effective team, so whether or not Salamence is a better dragon is none of my concern. And if someone suggests a change of moveset, or even switching out a pokemon, PLEASE SAY WHY. Don't just say "I would use Darkrai in that spot." and expect me to respect your opinion.

I agree with the jellicent in place on chancy. There is a great stall breaker set (I can't link on mobile device) that way, you'd have a spin blocker that can't be used as setup bait. With the fortress, toxic spikes might be preferred over regular. If soar, does it's job right, then y've waisted a move slot on another poke that could help force switches. When using pain split, you don't want to invest so heavily in hp, because then the difference in Heath will be lower, so maybe an ev spread with for defensive investment could be used.

With another cb user on the team, and to deal with gene sects more effectively, a scarf is an alternative over a choice band for infer ape, plus since y run overheat, it's not gaining any benefit from the choice band.

Oh a spin blocker... haha, I don't know why I forgot that function. I looked around and found what would appear to be the stall breaker set.
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Taunt
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
I'm supposing the speed investment is to allow it to out-speed other defensive pokemon. Should I pad out the defense stat like suggested though? I am tempted to buff the special defense instead for Skarmory's sake. I'm also afraid the new electric weakness will merit a change from Rotom to Jolteon, or Skarmory to Ferrothorn. We'll see how it turns out.

I suppose Forretress could stand to lose a little hp, but how much is safe? I only dropped 50 points for now just to check, and I'll work from there. As for the toxic spikes... I'll have to try it out, but in the past they have felt like a waste as they are the most resisted hazard, and a spinner isn't even needed to remove them.

K, I really don't care what happens to nape, lol. Maybe he'll be better.

Sweet use of Flygon, I dig it. I have a couple suggestions though.

My first suggestion deals with your hazard core, where currently Skarmory is pressured to do too much in the few amounts of turns it gets in a volt-turn metagame. With both Spikes and SR, you lose the ability to phaze bulky attackers like Dragonite, which can otherwise do quite a lot of damage. I therefore recommend switching SR to Whirlwind for Skarm, and replacing Toxic Spikes for Stealth Rock on Forretress. In a metagame full of Venusaur and Tentacruel, as well as Levitators and steel types galore, Toxic Spikes just aren't what they use to be. I would also like to optimize Skarms evs, so that after coming in on Stealth Rock, it can reactivate sturdy after two leftovers turns. (PS Sturdy is a much better ability than Keen Eye).

Here are those two sets:

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Def / 38 SDef/ 24 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Whirlwind
- Roost
- Spikes
- Brave Bird (Taunt is also a great move but that's your call)

Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 200 HP / 56 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch
- Rapid Spin
- Pain Split

I would also recommend switching the 4 HP EVs on Flygon and Rotom to Special Defense, as that way Genesect can only get an attack boost with Download.

I would also like to reinforce what Magnusmistro said, in that Scarf Infernape's sweet 108 speed tier gives him the speed tie with Scarf Terrakion, a pretty important threat in the metagame. You can now also revenge Tornadus-T and Thundurus-T with Stone Edge.

Well, I hope I helped, good luck!

The suggested changes work great, but now I'm noticing that Rotom-W and Infernape are the weak links on the team. I've suddenly remembered that Rotom doesn't ACTUALLY resist electric, and Infernape.... well he's just kind of there. I would happily change Rotom to Jolteon, but I'm stuck on Infernape's replacement. Perhaps I should go for weather support instead? Or a setup sweeper?
I could see Politoed doing well, as it lowers fire weakness and buff Jolteon's Thunder. Then again... more electric weakness...
Tyranitar on the other hand might work along side the Spikes by causing more residual damage.
Ninetales though... will simply compound fire weakness, and make it harder for Flygon and Jellicent to resist.
Thoughts?

EDIT: Playing a little more, Infernape isn't THAT out of place... and Jolteon is a massive improvement over Rotom. He eats electric moves (which come often), has stronger volt switches, and still has the threat of HP Ice.
Jolteon @ Choice Specs

Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)