Flamigo

:sv/flamigo:
type: flying / fighting
base stats: 82 hp / 115 atk / 74 def / 75 spatk / 64 spdef / 90 spe
abilities: scrappy / tangled feet / costar (H)
notabel moves:
brave bird
close combat
u turn
roost
taunt
swords dance
throat chop
substitute

pros of flamigo:
it is a decently fast pokemon with the ability to spam close combats without anything being immune which makes it a good choice item user!
its speed tier and spammable moves make it a decent speed control option with a choice scarf.
it doesnt take spikes damage .
it can use taunt to beat some physical walls more easily.
it has setup moves in swords dance and bulk up to potentially sweep (this works best on a sticky webs team i think)
it hits really hard with a choice band.
there arent very many fighting resists in the tier right now.
it doesnt get intimidated because of the scrappy ability.

cons of flamigo :<
its speed tier isnt the greatest without a choice scarf or sticky webs.
it struggles with flying and electric types like salamence, toxtricity and pawmot
it gets chipped down quite easily with its poor defensive stats.

potential tera types!!
i think the best tera type for flamigo is fighting for extra strong close combats to spam even more freely but there are also other options you could use defensively like ground or dark, ground to beat the electrics it struggles with and dark to surprise espathras and gengar with a potential ko

sets for flamigo!

Stewart (Flamigo) @ Choice Band / Choice Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Roost

this choiced set is my favourite flamigo set because of the aforementioned ability to freely spam close combat, i gave it roost to try and give it a bit more staying power because i dont think throat chop is too neccesary in general but it is an option you could go for.

Stewart @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Brave Bird

i think this set could be good on sticky webs teams especially because it may just 6-0 an unprepared team if it gets a swords dance while webs are up, in general i think this one is worse though.

Stewart @ Black Belt / leftovers / life orb
Jolly Nature
- Roost
- Taunt
- Close Combat
- Brave Bird

this last set is more of a stallbreaker, aiming to spam strong close combats and taunt any recovers or toxics that get sent your way whilst still having longevity with roost.

Last edited:

Mossy Sandwich

Gunning for the top
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
It's worth noting that Scrappy also gives Flamigo an Intimidate immunity on top of its primary value and there are quite a few Intimidate users going around right now. That leads to the banded sets being able to do things like 2hkoing Gyarados and Salamence >95% of the time (Or getting a straight up 1hko with Brave Bird) as well as dealing crazy high damage to Arcanine and Tauros-Paldea and you already know Krookodile is getting kicked into orbit.

One thing not mentionned in the post is Flamigo's competition, that being Staraptor and Hawlucha. Staraptor is faster and stronger with Reckless to boost Brave Bird, making it a much stronger choice for a choiced set. Flamigo does have notable advantages with its neutrality to Stealth Rock and its preferred STAB being Close Combat rather than Brave Bird. This means Flamigo gets chipped down much more slowly and can keep pressuring the opponent throughout a game unlike Staraptor which is likely already dead by the time it gets its second kill, if not its first. On the other hand, Hawlucha would likely outperform Swords Dance and Taunt sets due to its higher Speed and better abilities for this role. Maybe Flamigo's better Attack or bulk can make it better depending on your support?

Anyway, Flamigo is quite a fun mon, you can kind of just click Close Combat a majority of the time and get away with it, I didn't expect Scrappy to have as much of an impact as it does, but being able to spam that one move is incredible.

Flamingo isn't a bad pokemon, but it's speed really holds it back and the whole host of other flying types in the tier doesn't doesn't do it any favors. It still is a decent pokemon and can put a lot of work in with Brave Bird and Close Combat. I have been testing out a Tailwind set+Rock Tera Blast and it performs pretty well. Rock Tera allows it to take flying moves if needed, and doesn't cut its longevity down with the recoil or defense drops.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)