Fists of Fury (A Gen 5 OU Sandstorm RMT)

Nearing the end of the BW2 era, the metagame has stabilized quite a lot, making countering threats much easier. Indeed, many of the popular sets used today have been worked out from long and arduous testing, making "gimmicks" for overused pokemon somewhat unusable. I figured that since X and Y is coming quite soon, I would try and go out of my comfort range, and try out a standard balance team. Unlike Hyper Offense, my main playstyle up to now, Balance requires a precise understanding of the meta and ways of dealing with opposing threats. This team is based on laying the grounds for a Terrakion sweep, since it is one of the most potent threats in the current metagame with its powerful STABs and high offensive stats. The next pokemon comes naturally, as Tyranitar's sandstorm heightens Terrakion's Special Defense, making it able to take some weak special attacks on route to setting up.

You may remember that I like to support my sweepers using a solid, offensive core. This particular one utilizes Rotom-Wash, Landorus-T and Jirachi to counter or check many potent threats. Their typing synergies well, having a resistance to every possible attack other than the rare Shadow Ball. However, these pokemon utilize U-Turn and Volt Switch to continuously make the opponent switch, while taking resisted attacks with ease. By this constant pressure, I am able to weaken the opposing team overall using entry hazards and attacks from my own. Inside the core, each pokemon has some use to also help Terrakion sweep. Rotom-W burns opponents, neutralizing physical attacks, as well as surprise KOing Scizor, which hampers Terrakion, using an unexpected HP Fire. Jirachi rounds off the offensive core by spreading paralysis to threats, which include Dragons as well as enemy Jirachi. Breloom was the final piece to the team, as it can absorb status as well as breaking down many a defensive team, including Ferrothorn, Jellicent, and Heatran. It can also put enemies to sleep, giving Terrakion a free setup, as well as put an important member of the opposing team out of commission.

Now that the introduction is done, here is the actual team!

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Lonely Nature
- Fire Blast
- Crunch
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit

Tyranitar is the ideal lead of this team because it performs multiple roles in helping the team. However, its real function is to make sure that no other weather will come into play to block my pokemon. Since Tyranitar is the slowest weather starter bar Hippowdon, it ensures that pressure will be put on the opponent the first few turns to bring their weather starter in, which I can hopefully paralyze it or put it to sleep with Breloom. Since this team gets swept easily by Venusaur or Sawsbuck, it is essential that Sandstorm remains dominant. Its high special defense allows it to also switch into opposing weather starters, taking little damage and hitting them hard with Pursuit as it switches out. Crunch will also damage opposing Politoed and Ninetails very hard, making it much easier to get rid of them. Indeed, in Ninetails' side, it puts pressure on the opponent to spin Stealth Rocks away, allowing me to pursue my main goal while the opponent gets sidetracked. Since this team fears Sun much more than Rain, Tyranitar's job is to damage them heavily, and possibly KO with a well timed Pursuit.

However, Tyranitar is also one of the most expendable pokemon on my team. Since its role is very circumstantial, once it gets rid of opposing weathers and keeps Stealth Rock on the field, it often does not last the whole of a victorious match. Indeed, in this case Tyranitar takes on a completely different role: to take special attacks from the likes of Latios and proceed to trap with Pursuit, utilizing its (in sandstorm) 100/150 defenses to its fullest. It also can break down spikers like Skarmory and Forretress, the former being especially dangerous because it can take a hit using Sturdy and can phaze it, along with its substitute, Salac and Swords Dance boost, and any hope of sweeping. Indeed, Toxic Spikes really don't hurt this team much, with four members immune, but it really hinders a Terrakion sweep, meaning that it needs to be kept off the field at all costs.

Terrakion @ Salac Berry
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

Terrakion is really the focal point of all team support. With Sandstorm support from Tyranitar, Terrakion's Special Defense is raised by 50%, meaning that it now is able to sponge weak Special attacks. On the other side, it can deal out damage to opposing Politoed, and simply KO Ninetails and the rare Abomasnow, easing Tyranitar's Job. Once you've tried this set, you'll find it very tempting to set up on some Forretress or similar wall early game. However, Salac Berry only activates once, meaning Terrakion only has one shot. Of course, Terrakion could still blow holes in the enemy team without the speed boost, meaning that it can take care of an opposing troublesome threats that the central core cannot take apart.

However, using it early-game reveals its set, meaning that the timing is highly conditional. If the opponent is very weak to Terrakion (which rarely occurs in medium to high level play), I'll bring it out with only a little prior support. However, oftentimes I'll keep it hidden and put pressure on the opponent, as Scarf and Band is common on Terrakion as well. Indeed, sometimes I'll reveal its set on purpose to make the opponent play very conservatively, as most players are aware of the destruction Terrakion can cause once it gets a Substitute. Adding to this threat, along with the Sandstorm boost, is paralysis from Jirachi, which gives it a free turn by a chance of 25%, burns from Rotom-W, weakening physical attackers, and Sleep from Breloom, essentially a free turn. The opponent must play while keeping those in mind, and so try to minimize risks, which gives me easy predictions. The psychological pressure, offense-weakening and incapitating status, as well as Special Defense boosts from Sandstorm allows the match to snowball in Terrakion's favor.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 196 HP / 92 SAtk / 220 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Rotom-Wash is an essential member of my core, since it is my strongest Water resist, which really helps out when I lose Tyranitar to a misplay or an untimely critical hit. This core, unlike some others, do not have any duties on one side of the spectrum. What I mean by this is that the pokemon are bulky on both defense and special defense, though some more than others, to counter weaknesses on both sides. For example, a specially defensive Rotom would mean I would get KOed by the first Breloom or Physical Attacker Celebi that comes along. Actually, scratch that; Rotom-W is a little off the orthodox road. To check and kill Scizors, Ferrothorns and Brelooms, which greatly hamper this team, Hidden Power Fire is a great asset. The EVs ensure that I will 1HKO 4HP Scizor after Stealth Rocks, as well as 2HKO Ferrothorn after Rocks, factoring in Leftovers. This makes keeping Rain off the field very important, since Ferrothorn is practically indestructible in said weather. This surprise factor too often results in a dead Scizor, since not many people run this set. It is indeed painful to lose Pain Split (excuse the pun), which is the reason I pumped in a whole lot of EVs in HP, to help it last longer.

Rotom-W is also tasked the job of spreading burns, which helps Terrakion take physical attacks better and minimize damage taken on the core as a whole. With this, Rotom-W is my main counter to Rain in a emergency, as Hydro Pump is powered up and Volt Switch hits many pokemon commonly seen on Rain teams, such as Tentacruel. Once again, though, it is optimal to have Rain off the field because many of my teammates will take a number from rain-boosted Scald. However, aside from giving rain a headache Rotom also performs important duties to support a Terrakion sweep. Though rare, Golurk, Nidoqueen, and Claydol can stop Terrakion's sweep short. Rotom-W takes care of them all. I don't like to use Landorus to get rid of them, as Nidoqueen and Claydol often carry Ice Beam, which can get close to KOing even without much offensive investment. As might be expected, Rotom-W is the backup answer to opposing bulky waters. Will o Wisp can wear them down, and Volt Switch can deal good damage and allow Breloom to switch in. Additionally, Rotom is one of my answers, albeit defensive, to Fire attacks and Sun teams in general.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance

Landorus-T is the main physical bulky attacker in the trio. Intimidate and its nice set of resistances allow it to lockdown game-breaking threats such as Terrakion and Garchomp, which otherwise severely threatens this team. This is my go to pokemon when I see a possibly leading Dragon in Team Preview, as I can lower its offensive potential and then switch to Jirachi to absorb the Outrage. This is also a very good counter to Lead Tyranitar, as a Earthquake can 1HKO most variants, preventing them from laying Stealth Rocks down. Since I do not have a spinner, it is essential that Rocks are kept off the field, as it can damage the team heavily over the course of the game. The key to using Landorus well is to use it conservatively; because it has no reliable recovery, it is often easily worn down with many switch-ins. You want to keep at least half his health for the end game, for an Intimidate can help a lot there. Landorus is best against Dragon Dancers and stat boosters. It will take a hefty amount of damage from an Intimidated Garchomp's Outrage, and such jobs are better for Jirachi, as it can paralyze it and essentially render it useless.

However, Landorus-T isn't just good for walling threats. It's massive base attack and good investment makes it hit hard even without a boosting item, which makes opponents play conservatively and not risk me Stone Edging as the set up. Because of this, Jirachi is an excellent partner, as it can take Outrages with ease, especially after an Attack drop. It's good coverage allow me to threaten a lot of pokemon in the current metagame. It is easy to rely on only its ability, but one must remember to attack as well, as it can dent most pokemon with the appropriate move. Often, it is good to use Intimidate early-game and make the opponent underestimate its power, then attack when the opponent's guard is lost. When playing with this core, a correct prediction of the opponent's phycho is critical, and can help put pressure on the opponent to make them make misplays or mistakes.

While on the subject of Intimidate, Landorus-T uses it perfectly to force threats out and set up using its two boosting moves, Rock Polish and Swords Dance. A early game mini-sweep is very likely when used at the proper time, and it greatly helps weakening the opponent's core, enabling Terrakion to sweep. However, Landorus-T does not always need the element of surprise to support the team. Once the opponent knows its set, they will try to, in a manner of speaking, stop the bleeding before it starts, and makes them reluctant to use pokemon like opposing Landorus-T and Terrakion. This forces the opponent to try and remove Landorus to give his sweepers breathing space, while I can pursue my original goals.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
- Wish
- U-Turn

This thing is often called the most annoying thing that happened to pokemon, and rightly so. Jirachi's main job is to spread paralysis throughout the opponent's team so Terrakion has an easier time sweeping. The other is to make sure that powerful special attacks such as Draco Meteors and Rain boosted Hydro Pumps do not harm this team as much. Since Specially Defensive Jirachi can take many hits without breaking a sweat, it is often a full counter to special attackers. Rain teams rarely do much harm to Jirachi without a boost, so it puts additional pressure on them to bring in their Politoed, which I can take advantage of. The only thing that would stop Jirachi from fully shutting down Rain teams is if they get multiple turns of hax where Jirachi cannot get a Wish up in time, which rarely occurs, since Jirachi is usually the one dealing out infuriating hax.

I use Body Slam over Thunder Wave for two reasons. First of all, it cannot be stopped by Taunt, which is always a plus when dealing with Stallbreakers, as well as doing damage. It also can paralyze Ground types as well, which incidentally many threats such as Garchomp and Landorus-T are categorized into. Because of the two Ground immunities in the core, it is often very risky for the opponent to fire off an Earthquake, especially if it is Choiced, meaning that too often an opponent will over predict and fire off a resisted move, while Jirachi paralyzes them and proceeds to flinch them to death. The steel fairy can also heal the other members of the core with Wish, drastically extending their longetivity and negates "wearing them down" as an option. This strengthens the core and allows it to survive and recover from misplays, along with powerful moves such as V-Create from Victini.

Breloom @ Lum Berry
Trait: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Swords Dance
- Spore

This slot member was really variable for the first few weeks of testing. I was very weak to defensive cores of Ferrothorn / Jellicent / Heatran, and none of my team really liked to take a Scald with its omnipresent burn. Though I have considered switching Landorus-T with Gliscor, Intimidate really makes a difference. Breloom, with Lum Berry can take status easily for the team while setting up against stall and getting good damage on them. This is especially useful for opposing Rotom-W, as Breloom outspeeds Specially Defensive variants, can take a Will o wisp, and then proceed to set it to sleep with Spore.

Breloom also acts as the team's utility. Though especially effective against stall, it can neutralize any threat with Spore, essentially giving Terrakion a free turn if brought in. If it can hit a member of an opposing core with it, the game could alter to your advantage very easily. It also is great against defensive Politoed, as Tyranitar may have some issues if it is burnt. Breloom can weather (pun not intended) an uninvested Ice Beam, put it to sleep, then proceed to KO it with a Swords Danced Seed Bomb. Breloom, once it has served its function, can heavily dent any revenge killer, as the current stat spread outspeeds most Scizor. Though Poison Heal and its double recovery is sorely missed, the ability to have a free Choice Band courtesy of Technician was needed too much for the team. Breloom is also good at pressuring the opponent, and make them take into account a worst case scenario of eternal sleep for whatever it switches in. Espeon is actually KOed with the combination of Bullet Seed and Mach Punch.

So there is my team! Rate, Comment, Like, I would very much appreciate your input! And of course, feel free to try this team out!

Importable

Code:
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 196 HP / 92 SAtk / 220 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
- Wish
- U-turn

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Lonely Nature
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit

Terrakion @ Salac Berry
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SDef
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

Breloom @ Lum Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Swords Dance
- Spore

Last edited:

MCBarrett

i love it when you call me big hoppa
Hey Lampent, pretty nice balanced sand team you have here! This team is pretty standard, however you do have a pretty large weakness to Sun Teams as you mentioned previously so I have a quick and easy suggestion that can hopefully help you out in that department.

In order to help combat sun teams, I recommend making the change from your current Landorus-T set to a DubDance Lando-T set. Landorus-T becomes a powerful sweeper with both Swords Dance and Rock Polish. After one, Rock Polish he can outsped everything on a Sun Team, including Venusaur, and threaten everything with huge damage from either Stone Edge or Earthquake. If you can set up a Rock Polish and a Swords Dance you win automatically against a cookie-cutter Sun Team provided you hit Stone Edge when needed. Also, this set does not only do well against sun, since Landorus-T's Intimidate forces so many switches you get plenty of set up opportunities giving you added win conditions during your match. For an EV spread I like to use max speed, max attack with an Adamant nature to outrun Adamant Lucario and Timid Heatran immediately, but you can also use an Adamant Nature with 48 HP and the rest in attack and speed for some extra bulk.

My only other suggestion would be on your Breloom. I find Technician to be too good of an ability to pass up so I would recommend switching your Toxic Orb to Lum Berry and your ability to Technician. Then you should change Seed Bomb to Bullet Seed since Bullet Seed is extremely powerful with a Technician boost. Having Lum Berry still gives you the ability to absorb status once for the battle which is usually all you need anyways, plus you have more immediate power provided you did not have the opportunity to set up.

Hopefully my suggestions helped! Let me know how it works and good luck with the team!

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey Lampent. Cool team you have here!

Your team seems to have a lot of trouble with setup sweepers. In particular, Dragonite and Salamence can be a huge problem for your team if they're allowed to set up to +1, since they can KO everything on your team at +1 with Earthquake or Outrage bar Landorus, but even that dies with only a tiny bit of prior damage due to the set you're running. Volcarona is in the same boat, since offensive versions can OHKO everything after a single boost if it has Giga Drain for Rotom-W (and a bit of prior damage on Tyranitar). This is most likely because you lack a Scarfed Pokémon, which means you don't really have a dedicated revenge killer to take care of things that can setup on you. Fortunately, these problems can be easily fixed by simply adding a Scarfed Pokémon.

The question is, which one? Well, based on the things that give you trouble, they seem to all be Pokémon weak to Rock types. An easy solution to this issue would simply be to replace your SubSalac Terrakion for a Scarfed one. Scarfed Terrakion can out-speed Dragonite, Salamence, and Volcarona at +1 and can revenge kill them with either Stone Edge or a safer Rock Slide. You can switch as they use either Dragon Dance or Quiver Dance , out-speed them, and KO. This eliminates a huge threat to your team. However, you may notice that your team lacks a real win condition (Breloom isn't really the best thing to rely on since lots of things resist its STAB). So I support MC Barrett's idea of using Double Dance Landorus-T. Double Dance Landorus-T is really good in this meta game, and really appreciates things like Lati@s (which it can't OHKO without a boost), Celebi, and Jellicent gone. It also appreciates Gliscor and opposing Landorus-T being taken out, and Rotom-W does a great job at eliminating those threats. Finally, I would switch Breloom's ability to Technician, give it Bullet Seed over Seed Bomb, and Life Orb over Toxic Orb. It's a minor change, but it makes Breloom its optimal set, and partners well with Landorus-T since they have the same counters and can wear them down easily as the match progresses.

Hope I was able to help! Good luck with the team!

Sets

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Rock Slide

Breloom @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Spore
- Swords Dance

Hello, and thank you for the advice! I would like to start off with some changes; as MCBarrett said, I am now utilizing Double Dancer Landorus-T. It has so many opportunities to set up that some opponents stop bringing in physical attackers altogether, which removes a lot of pressure on my core. Next, the aforesaid Breloom set is being used. I find the ability to break Substitutes very useful. However, I just cannot use Life Orb, as with Sandstorm and no recovery Breloom would be dead in a few turns. Lum Berry allows it to serve the previous functions that I wanted, while also having more power. It also is victorious against opposing Breloom, in the case that they are Jolly.

However, for the next version, I am considering Calm Mind Reuniclus as a stallbreaker. It can absorb status just as well, with the exception of sleep, and can set up all over stall teams, and often 6-0s them. It is currently being tested, and I will upload the changes when they are decided.

Thank you all, and any more advice would be greatly appreciated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)