Dragonite's Rage

Hello, I'm Nickoopa and this is my first RMT on Smogon, the team was the combination of my favorite defensive and offensive cores.
The team's objective is to sweep with Dragonite, removing all of its counters and set up easily.

At a Glance

The Team

Defensive Core - The Defensive Core is very important to the team, I started the core with Heatran, as it is one of my favorite Special Walls, then I used Gyarados as it is very bulky with many handy resistances and it can phaze enemies while racking up damage from Heatran's Stealth Rock. The last one is Virizion, it is fast and bulky enough to set up screens.This core resists every single type despite each one has a 4x Weakness

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Impish Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Waterfall
- Roar
Gyarados, the physical wall, Roars enemies out of the way, it is good on what it does, that is phazing, with RestTalk it can heal and maybe Roar without negative priority! Waterfall does good damage, and the Flinching chance is helpful sometimes.
Coverage:
Electric

Rock

Heatran @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Roar
- Stealth Rock
Heatran, the special wall, Lava Plume may cripple physical attackers that try to switch, Protect is used to ease prediction, Roar is the phazing move that works well with Stealth Rock.
Coverage:
Ground

Fighting

Water

Virizion @ Light Clay
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Giga Drain
- Taunt

Virizion is fast and bulky and to complete the core, I used a Dual Screens set, I chose Giga Drain over Leaf Blade because of the healing and Taunt to cripple opposing walls.
Coverage:
Fire

Flying

Psychic

Offensive Core - The offensive core has decent synergy, and they work very well together. Dragonite is the sweeper and with the help of Virizion and Starmie it's easy to set up Dragon Dances, Magnezone removes the Steel-types that stop Dragonite, Starmie keeps the field clean to Dragonite enter.

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- ExtremeSpeed
Dragonite is a very threatening sweeper, can set up Dragon Dances easily if Multiscale is intact, Outrage can kill many things at +1, and if Magnezone did its job, I can use it freely, Fire Punch can hit Ferrothorn if I catch it on the switch in, ExtremeSpeed is used as the only priority on the team, used for revenge-killing.
Coverage:

Ice

Dragon

Rock

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Magnezone removes the Steels for Dragonite, it can Substitute with inpunity against many Steel-types, Flash Cannon and Thunderbolt are STABs and can hit hard, Hidden Power Fire works to kill Scizor, Forretress, Forretress and many other Steel-types hard.
Coverage:

Ground

Fire

Fighting

Starmie @ Life Orb
Trait: Analytic
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
Starmie is the spinner, keeps out Stealth Rocks to guarantee Dragonite's Multiscale intact and it hits very hard with Hydro Pump + BoltBeam coverage.
Coverage:

Bug

Grass

Dark

Electric

Ghost

Threat List
Dragons that use Earthquake like Garchomp, Flygon, Salamence and Haxorus are big threats, they are even bigger threats when they aren't locked in Outrage, the best thing I can do about them is setting up screens with Virizion or relying on Dragonite's Multiscale to revenge kill them.
Importable:
Gyarados @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Impish Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Waterfall
- Roar

Heatran @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Virizion @ Light Clay
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Giga Drain
- Taunt

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- ExtremeSpeed

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Starmie @ Life Orb
Trait: Analytic
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
So, that's it, hope you liked it, and now, rate it if you want :D

Possible changes:
  • Replacing Starmie's Thunderbolt for Hidden Power Fire
  • Replacing Magnezone for scarfed Magneton
  • Changing Gyarados' Moveset

Last edited:
*testing this team out :) but whats ur answer to a dd salamance? jw.. also doom desire jirachi(in rain) while uncommon are a bit iffy

Last edited:
*testing this team out :) but whats ur answer to a dd salamance? jw.. also doom desire jirachi(in rain) while uncommon are a bit iffy
Salamence is one of the true counters for the team, if it gets locked by Outrage, Magnezone has a chance to kill it, if it is using Dragon Claw, I have to hope on Virizion to set up Screens to try to kill them.

i did see that having virizion atleast get a lightscreen in helps, sala dd @ lum i see is a problem but alot is just predicting so not much u can do but will wait for someone to give u a rate before i add nething else :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)