college acceptances

I find it quite strange that you guys think Masters is good straight out of University for Engineering.

Here, Masters in Engineering is something you do after working for a few years. A Masters is nowhere near as much use as getting into the industry early.

I'm finding out my EA MIT decision in 26 hours and 15 minutes. I've also finished my Duke Application but didn't apply early. I still have 6+ applications to go in 3 weeks, so I'm kinda scared I'm not going to finish, but ideally I wont have to finish them. I'll find out tomorrow, I guess.

It looks like it's that time of the year again...

Okay so I actually did get into my dream college off a crapshoot ED to Cooper Union (if you're a senior right now and are considering this school should you have heard of it I highly suggest you apply since the tuition costs are still going to be covered) but yeah getting into your first-choice school is always an awesome feeling.

This being said, you definitely should NOT feel bad if you don't get into your first choice. This is why you apply to multiple colleges. You shouldn't be shooting too high since you'll tend to get your hopes up for a college you have no shot at, but at the same time you don't shoot too low so you don't sell yourself short.

I think that you should never feel too down about yourself if you don't get into the college of your dreams. You worked hard and you know it, so just being considered for a slot should be enough. You have to tell yourself, "I know I worked hard and I really wanted to go to college X, but just because I might not have gotten in doesn't mean that I won't have an awesome time at college Y".

To whomever it may concern, please realize that getting into your dream college isn't the end of the world for you and you should simply forget about it at your new college. I'm sure you're going to have just as much fun and forget about the colleges that didn't take you in.

Unless your username is V0x because he sucks j/s

Pernicious, you go to Stuy, don't you? :3

EDIT: I ask this because 1/9 of my graduating class (of engineers, that is) went to Stuy XD

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Come on kids (especially engineers and business nerds) apply to Lehigh it's a great workout for your calves. Not only that but we beat Duke in basketball heyyyy and I guess the academics are good too.

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
i'm a current freshman at cal as stathakis said, hopefully that 3.92 gpa comment will prove true as well but we'll find out in a few days

imo college acceptances are a good lesson for your future and stuff, b/c even if you're smart you're not guaranteed admission into the college you want. you gotta be motivated to actually do stuff with your life instead of wasting time (shown by clubs and jobs and shit) if you actually want to get into ivy league etc, and you really need to do the same if you want to be successful in your career.

i was kinda bummed and pissed off this time/march a year ago about not getting into any of the private schools i applied to (bunch of ivies, mit, caltech, etc), but honestly i fucked around all of hs and deserved it. so now i'm gonna try to be proactive and join clubs and shit and look for more jobs because while it may not have really mattered back in hs it's imperative as you get further along.

still f*ck affirmative action and athletic recruiting for DIII schools though. lol gayest shit ever

PS COME TO CAL

breh

強いだね
I've been deferred at Caltech (will probably be rejected in the end) and I'll find out about MIT in a few hours (though the result will likely be the same "defer to reject"). Good luck to everybody waiting for MIT EA!

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm in my third year and wow it feels like forever since I had to apply for university. I know for many at the end of highschool students feel like they know everything and they are so special so gosh they better get accepted. No student out of highschool knows everything and university is to learn just how much you don't know. Now this is mostly for art students, since really no fine art school ever does early acceptances really. Learn from auditions/interviews things where you showcase you as an artist. In terms of auditioning I applied to three places and did two auditions. I was accepted to a program that takes in 140 students then my 2nd year specialization accepts 32. Watch very carefully how people there treat you during the audition process. I won't lie in that every visual arts program gets people too narrow minded or just uninspiring, and way too many theatre schools find themselves with kids with stars in their eyes. But if they treat you all with respect and enthusiasm and you enjoyed the audition after your nerves calm down that is the place you want to go.

kalphiteman, Michigan is probably one of the top 3 best public unis out there. behind UC Berkeley and maybe UVA
I realize this, but it's still a hell of a lot easier to get into than caltech/MIT/etc. And when you're applying to all those crazy selective schools it sometimes gets hard to remember harder to get into doesn't always mean better.

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
Come on kids (especially engineers and business nerds) apply to Lehigh it's a great workout for your calves. Not only that but we beat Duke in basketball heyyyy and I guess the academics are good too.
I attend here as well.
I wonder if I'll ever get to meet this famous man.

P.S. Cute girls should apply to Lehigh

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I surely can't be the only one who didn't put a whole lot of effort into uni applications? For each of the three schools I applied to up here in Canada they just took my marks automatically without and supplementary requirements and I got into all no problem. Then again I was targetting Universities based on not requiring Calc as a pre-req.

Out of curiosity any Smogoners here at Carleton?

Applied to one uni last second and got accepted immediately. Had I applied to a second, I probably would have gone there instead.

I surely can't be the only one who didn't put a whole lot of effort into uni applications? For each of the three schools I applied to up here in Canada they just took my marks automatically without and supplementary requirements and I got into all no problem. Then again I was targetting Universities based on not requiring Calc as a pre-req.

Out of curiosity any Smogoners here at Carleton?
I applied to Carleton for next year, though I'm leaning towards going elsewhere :)

I just finished my first semester at the University of Alberta and am not enjoying it here, so I began applying to other schools for next year :)

I have a question about being a transfer student. I don't know anyone personally who has done it so i can't go to anyone. What are the odds of being accepted as a transfer student? my grades arent amazing but theyre not atrocious either

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Raseri, I transferred from SFU to UBC after my first year. It's a fairly straight forward process and it depends on how many credits you've taken and the program you're applying to. Most programs in Canada don't have that high of a requirement in terms of GPA but they'll probably want your high school record so have that handy.

Basically, you had a good enough record to get accepted to U of A; it's most likely you'll be successful in transferring almost anywhere in Canada provided your grades in university didn't take a huge slip.

Hit me up on irc if you need more info.

I've already shared my university experiences in another thread but basically boiled down to: applied to high tiered schools in America, wasn't accepted due to lack of competitive academic resume, applied to top schools in Canada, accepted into all with some financial support basically. Went to SFU for a year, transferred to UBC and completing degree.

Edit: Also good luck to whoever is waiting for responses and/or applying to schools this year. Application process is a very stressful experience but just remember that it's what you make of the opportunity given to you that shapes your educational and academic future, not which school you attend, especially in undergrad.

I've actually got a pretty good friend of mine going to Lehigh. One of my roommates also wanted to go there since he didn't think he'd get into Cooper and would get into Lehigh, but the opposite happened (somehow) and...yeah. Lehigh is a pretty damn good school for engineers and you also get the chance to meet Jimbo and Delta XD

Just got deferred by MIT. Not a big surprise, but it means I have to finish out all my other applications :(

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Got rejected by Stanford and it's pretty dissappointing considering my school is one of the top in the state and we had 0 accepted, 4 rejected.

The other 3 students have already been accepted other places, but I haven't yet and it's just frustrating. Doesn't help that my girlfriend has a full ride to a d1 school for volleyball either. Just seems like everybody has this figured out except me.

It's important for new students to know that the concept that "getting into a top ranking college is necessary to be taken seriously" is incredibly outlandish in this day and age. Really, it's all about getting what you put into it. I'm about to graduate from SMU with a bachelors, and I did it in two years not just because of the college but because of the work that has been put in. Just because you don't get into that "dream college" doesn't mean you can't be the best you.

by your sig i would have guessed you were going to apply to iowa
I am applying to Iowa, but its rolling admissions and I don't plan on worrying about its essays after all my other essays are complete. I also feel like MIT is a (slightly) better school than Iowa.

San_Pellegrino

the eternal dreamer
is a Team Rater Alumnus
haha, good one coolking

and to ray jay - let uragg be an example of undergraduate admissions being completely meaningless. it may matter for the rest of senior year, but once you go to a school, you'll find yourself doing better than/not caring anymore about those braggarts who went to harvard or, in your case, stanford. it's really in the person and not the school.

edit: arch said it better than I

Got rejected by Stanford and it's pretty dissappointing considering my school is one of the top in the state and we had 0 accepted, 4 rejected.

The other 3 students have already been accepted other places, but I haven't yet and it's just frustrating. Doesn't help that my girlfriend has a full ride to a d1 school for volleyball either. Just seems like everybody has this figured out except me.
Just chiming in to say I didn't have this whole college thing figured out until literally the beginning of May, almost after I graduated high school. Just deferred then rejected by MIT. Got waitlisted by Carnegie Mellon, Rice, and Columbia, and into all of my safety school. The first three I knew I had a pretty good shot at (but not set in stone), but getting three waitlists in a row was a bit disheartening.

I was all set to go to Tulane and even paid my deposit but then the first week of May, Rice called to offer me a spot off the waitlist. I don't think I'll ever forget that day. Turns out going to Rice is probably the best decision I've ever made. It was by no means my first choice but I can't imagine being happier anywhere else. Make the most out of whatever happens :) and don't forget that you still have more than 4 months before you should really know where you're going

getting my ATAR (australian tertiary admission rank) on thursday along with a few more smogoners, although it doesn't immediately tell me what university i'm going to end up at it will give me a pretty good idea (and it at least tells me what i'm guaranteed to be able to do) will update when i get it

Got my OP (Overall Position, queensland tertiary admission thing: 1 is the best, 25 is the worst) yesterday. I got a 6, which was better than I expected and it means that I'm pretty much guaranteed to get into my first preference: Bachelor of Journalism at University of Queensland. So I'm very happy :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)