CAP1 - Part 9.5 - (Pre-Evo Typing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the next installment of our first CAP pre-evo side project!

Pre-evo typing has a few special rules associated with it. Basically, the pre-evo must retain at least one type from the main CAP. This means that a Bug / Flying CAP could have a Bug / X or X / Flying pre-evo. It could also be a pure Bug-type CAP, a pure Flying-type CAP, or have the same typing as its evolution. The only requirement here is that at least one type is retained.

This will be a discussion thread that lasts for 24 hours, after which I will go through the thread and decide based on solid posts which typing combinations will move on to the poll. Notice that I said typing combinations. The pre-evo does not get main typing and secondary typing polls, it gets both decided at once. Also note that no matter what, the typing of the main CAP will appear in the slate. That means you don't really need to make any arguments for Flying/Fighting, since it'll be there anyway!

Please note that I am not looking for ridiculous pre-evo typings like Ghost/Fighting or Flying/Steel or something. Please try to keep the typings logical from a flavor perspective, and if you can justify your typing in a super cool way, that's great. I don't mind if a bit of competitive discussion snakes its way into the thread, though, since that's what CAP is about, but don't try turning the pre-evo into the most competitive beast ever heard of in LC! This is a purely flavor segment of the CAP; CAP1's pre-evos will be banned during playtest, so don't assume that anything decided here will change the playtest in any way.

Here's our CAP so far:
Cartoons! said:
Typing: Flying / Fighting
Base Stats: 105 HP / 60 Atk / 90 Def / 115 SpA / 80 SpD / 85 Spe
Abilities: Intimidate / Prankster
Pre-Evos: One

Normal/Flying

A chick/cub/whatever cannot fight well. In fact, many baby birds are born completely helpless (though I think larger ones make up most of the exceptions).

I've wanted a pure Flying pre-evo ever since Flying was selected as Type 1. Mainly, it alleviates the awkwardness that comes with a typing that's always Type 2 when paired, and to me, the low Atk stat on the evo seems to point to this as well. I think that this evo line should start with a weak first stage that gains aura power somehow to evolve.

The design of CAP 1 presents some small issues. Essentially, this pre-evo may be moving toward a "cub", which seems to make little sense with a pure Flying typing.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Fighting

On the contrary, the whole point of this Pokemon is to fool people into thinking its a hawk. So why not a fighting type cub that eventually earns its wings, and thereby its intimidation powers? Cubs are also seen as playful, so prankster works there.

Edit: also larvesta > volcarona the attack decreases so an attack stat of like 70-80 wouldn't be unheard of. This could also support evolution as a sign of maturity, hightening the aura powers and decreasing reliance on physical dominance etc

I'd love to see a Bagon/Salamence thing here.
Basically, it's a mono Fighting lion cub, that dreams of flying, and hunts down birds to collect their feathers in a hope to one day be able to fly away. The cubs with the most feathers are view by the tribe as the one that are closest to reaching maturity and take off to start soaring the sky alone, far away from the den.

Normal/Fighting

I changed my vote to Normal Fighting, makes alot more sense it exchange its primary normal for flying then just go from fighting to a new primary typing.

Fighting
I think that it should only fly as it matures, with Cartoons! saying its fur hardens into feather-like wings as it grows. I think the pre-evo should have little arms that aren't quite wings.

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
I really like Flying / Fighting as the pre-evo's typing. It just seems most natural; we do not really need to change types for the sake of changing types. A scrappy flying cub could be the most epic thing ever. I also like Flying / Normal as a typing. We are practically committed with Flying as the main type, and there is likely going to be something non-fighting-like about the pre-evo, whether it is too "inexperienced" or just not grown up yet. Remember. this is a prime cutemon opportunity!

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Fighting

I want my little mammal holding a hatchet, and the only way I can achieve that is with the Fighting-type.

the way cartoons described the way it's fur harden into quills/feathers leads me to believe that the prevo would be a ball of fluffiness that flies around like a jumpluff. a sample pokedex entry: this pokemon flies around with jumpluff, going where ever the wind will take it; they preform tribal rituals using jumpluff juice to make a glue that hardens their wild manes so they can evolve.

if the name ends up being tomohawk we can name the prevo tomofuzz

There really are only 3 options make that 4
Normal/Flying
Flying/Fighting
Fighting
I don't feel that pure flying is an option because that typing is just too special to give to something just because it has wings.
I also think people are giving the fact that the primary type is flying too much weight. I see it only as an artifact of the order we choose the types in and nothing more.

Edit: Normal/Fighting is a great option now that I think about it. Great idea Brammi.

Normal / Fighting

Obtaining the pelt to use as wings seems to be the crux of the design of CAP 1. Making its pre evo Normal / Fighting enhances this idea by bringing attention to the idea that obtaining the pelt is a large part of the Pokemon's development. The Fighting ties in with CAP1's type while the Normal part lends itself to the incompleteness of its aim in life so to speak.

Normal / Fighting

I like redundant move coverage. Also, what Brammi said about it. Normal is seen as the plainest type because it's nothing special, so CAP1's prevo wouldn't be seen as a threat until it evolves and gains its Flying type and intimidating features.

Normal / Fighting for all the reasons Brammi gave.

Originally I thought just mono-fighting, but is there a precedence for a mono-type pokemon evolving into a dual type, where the original type of the pre-evo becomes a secondary typing?

fighting -----> fighting/flying ; that's expected
fighting -----> flying/fighting; just seems weird for a primary type to be demoted to secondary

Which is why I'm wondering if there's another Pokemon that evolves that way. Not that having precedence is a requirement, since we are not bound by it. And I'd still support Normal / Fighting even if there is.

Fighting

On the contrary, the whole point of this Pokemon is to fool people into thinking its a hawk. So why not a fighting type cub that eventually earns its wings, and thereby its intimidation powers? Cubs are also seen as playful, so prankster works there.

Edit: also larvesta > volcarona the attack decreases so an attack stat of like 70-80 wouldn't be unheard of. This could also support evolution as a sign of maturity, hightening the aura powers and decreasing reliance on physical dominance etc
Absolutely second pure Fighting with nearly the same reasoning.
Evolution works like a spiritual enlughtenment, thus strengthening the little guy and becoming an agile warrior.

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Fighting/Flying

I do not feel that this Pokemon could be considered a Normal type.

Besides, it would be an excellent addition to LC. AT the very least, don't make this SR weak.

I've wanted a pure Flying pre-evo ever since Flying was selected as Type 1. Mainly, it alleviates the awkwardness that comes with a typing that's always Type 2 when paired, and to me, the low Atk stat on the evo seems to point to this as well. I think that this evo line should start with a weak first stage that gains aura power somehow to evolve.

The design of CAP 1 presents some small issues. Essentially, this pre-evo may be moving toward a "cub", which seems to make little sense with a pure Flying typing.
I was thinking the same thing. This CAP is primarily Flying-type; Flying should also be the primary type of its pre-evolution, which would fit best with a pure Flying pre-evolution.

It might be a bit tricky to make it make sense, but I think we can handle that.

I think Normal/Fighting is the way to go. We also have precedents whose primary typing changes with evolution (Onix/Steelix and Swablu/Altaria).

Hi.

Since without wings, this Pokemon is always on the ground, I think it would be cool to make the pre-evolution type Fighting/Ground.

Thanks, bye.

Fighting
Since he is mostly some sort of feline creature and not a bird, it makes since that the prevo would be before he gets the wings, or maybe has like a few feathers or something, and instead is a just pure fighting. Then he evolves and grows, or finds, the wings.

I think Normal/Fighting is the way to go. We also have precedents whose primary typing changes with evolution (Onix/Steelix and Swablu/Altaria).
That's a good point. It seems like both of those keep their secondary typing as their secondary typing, so while I would still prefer a pure Flying pre-evo, if it doesn't have Flying as a primary type for whatever reason, Normal/Fighting seems like the most fitting option.

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In case, FLying/FIghting doesn't go through, Normal/Fighting is good as well. It possesses a SR resistance, and lends itself to a variety of useful moves.

It's ok to talk about some competitive notions, and is by no means against the rules. So long as you don't push the limits and try to gun for Ghost/Fighting or some equally ridiculous typing based on competitive merit, there's no issue. It is primarily flavor, but I know more than a few people are interested in seeing what a pre-evo can do in LC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)