CaP Revision - Syclant: Part 3: Movepool Final Vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Previous thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47623

OK first of all I am incredibly sorry about how long this has been taking. I have a huge amount of schoolwork this quarter, and I hope you all don't mind me saying that pokemon takes a back seat to academics (If it makes you feel any better I'm doing well in my classes =P ). I'll probably have to ask Eric to take over on weekdays; he has been nothing but a huge help and a great sport. Thanks buddy.

Our new stat spread for Syclant is
70 / 116 / 70 / 114 / 65 / 115

OK in the last thread we discussed which moves should be potentially removed from Syclant. Here are your options:

Should these moves be removed from Syclant?

Focus Blast
Tail Glow
Stone Edge
Rock Slide
Swords Dance
Superpower
Brick Break

This will be a bold poll. Any option with more than 50% of the vote will be removed. I would encourage each voter to vote on each move, but if there is one you are truly indifferent about feel free to leave it off your list.

And please don't mention non-competitive moves...they will be pruned separately.

Keep in mind that a yes vote is a vote to drop the move!

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Focus Blast
Tail Glow
Stone Edge
Rock Slide
Swords Dance
Superpower
Brick Break

I do not think that any of these moves are too strong for Syclant now that its stat spread has been reduced, removing Focus Blast would let a whole bunch of things who previously could be beaten by it switch into the most common set (Tail Glow) without much fear. Blissey and Snorlax would be the main ones. I would be against this however now that Earth Power is a tutor move there is a viable replacement which threatens Tenta (so many of these on CaP...) Heatran (far too common generally.) and some random fire types.

I think that letting it lose Focus Blast but making Earth Power legal with Tail Glow would make it a much less luck based sweeper and be a slight reduction in power, this combined with the speed drop that has already been voted on should be enough to make Syclant more accepted in OU.

And I would have got this thread up sooner but could not get on the net for almost a week. I would be happy to put up threads if you are away TAY, next one is movepool submission? And only let in ones with flavour not competitive changes?

Focus Blast
Tail Glow
Stone Edge
Rock Slide
Swords Dance
Superpower
Brick Break

Stone Edge and Rock Slide add a little flavour whilst being overshadowed by STAB Ice attacks so I wouldn't call them competitive.

Swords Dance is extraneous and really if we are going to give it stat boosts on both side of the spectrum we would have to look at making it infernape-like offensively just for perceived balance.

Superpower is Pt tutor and doesn't really threaten most counters unless you split EVs and then you won't break Bronzong, Metagross etc so keep it would be fine.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Focus Blast
Tail Glow
Stone Edge
Rock Slide
Swords Dance

Superpower
Brick Break

Focus Blast
Tail Glow
Stone Edge
Rock Slide

Swords Dance
Superpower
Brick Break

I'm sort of iffy on Super Power. D:

While lately I'm not visiting the server at all (well, ANY server), I was very active up until just before Pyroak was introduced, so I think I can contribute with a meaningful vote:

Focus Blast
Tail Glow
Stone Edge
Rock Slide

Swords Dance
Superpower
Brick Break

Will still have Blizzard, Bug Buzz, Tail Glow and Earth Power to fare very well, but won't be able to be fully special and ruin Blissey after a TG, or have too good mixed options.

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Focus Blast
Tail Glow
Stone Edge
Rock Slide
Swords Dance
Superpower
Brick Break

Edit: It's been said that we ought to back up our vote with competitive reasoning, so I'll gladly do so now. I'm very iffy about Syclant having Fighting-type moves. Focus Blast is what makes the Tail Glow set so difficult to stop. The type coverage is ridiculous and having a 120 BP STAB move is already enough. Special Syclant can be reasonable without it, so I kept Tail Glow. On the physical side, having all of these extranneous moves seems really messy. Rock Slide doesn't seem that useful so I removed it. While Stone Edge is more powerful, it's also less reliable so I think it's reasonable. Superpower is its most powerful physical Fighting-type move and I don't think the Swords Dance set needs to be able to smash Steel-types, physical Ice's most reliable checks. Brick Break is significantly weaker and is more reasonable.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Focus Blast
Tail Glow
Stone Edge
Rock Slide
Swords Dance
Superpower

Brick Break

tennisace

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
How come I've only seen 6 voters (including me) on the server? This is supposed to be based on your playtesting. If you've never been on the server, you've never playtested it. I think we need to revise the revision process after this.

How come I've only seen 6 voters (including me) on the server? This is supposed to be based on your playtesting. If you've never been on the server, you've never playtested it. I think we need to revise the revision process after this.

I'm pretty sure you're not referring to me, but just in case, I made that little introduction before casting my vote because of what you say. I wouldn't even DARE to vote (whether it be bold or click) if/when a revision for Pyroak and Fidgit starts, because I've used Pyroak maybe 5 times, and I've never used Fidgit, sadly. But regarding Syclant and Reveneankh, I think I'm qualified enough to cast my vote. And frankly, whoever votes on this kind of threads should ask themselves if they've had enough experience with those pokémon. If they don't, they shouldn't vote.

tennisace

I'm pretty sure you're not referring to me, but just in case, I made that little introduction before casting my vote because of what you say. I wouldn't even DARE to vote (whether it be bold or click) if/when a revision for Pyroak and Fidgit starts, because I've used Pyroak maybe 5 times, and I've never used Fidgit, sadly. But regarding Syclant and Reveneankh, I think I'm qualified enough to cast my vote. And frankly, whoever votes on this kind of threads should ask themselves if they've had enough experience with those pokémon. If they don't, they shouldn't vote.
I wasn't, because you were modded for quite some time (also WB). I was referring to everyone else save EM, me, Beej, EtE, and Dixie (SBC).

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Focus Blast
Tail Glow
Stone Edge
Rock Slide
Swords Dance
Superpower

Brick Break

Frosty

=_=
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Focus Blast
Tail Glow

Stone Edge
Rock Slide
Swords Dance
Superpower

Brick Break

I used mostly all attacking sets with Ice Move/Bug Buzz/Fighting Move/Filler and I never found Syclant too good/broken/etc, aside from the great speed (which was reduced). Tail Glow and Swords Dance can boost its power to huge levels, maybe too big, and aren't needed to make Syclant a good poke and Brick Break is more than enough, with Superpower and Focus Blast being a bit too good IMO.

Focus Blast
Tail Glow
Stone Edge
Rock Slide
Swords Dance
Superpower
Brick Break

EDIT: Honestly, with Syclant checked to the infinite degree by Scizor/Heatran, how much reform of its moveset do we need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)