move 4: Waterfall
item: Eviolite
ability: Water Veil
nature: Jolly
evs: 236 HP / 36 SpD / 236 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Buizel can run an effective baton pass set
  • It is the fastest baton passer which is useful for passing boosts
  • Agility increases Speed by +2 helping slower sweepers(like tirtouga) to sweep
  • Bulk up not only increases Attack but also Defense, making it less vulnerable to priority
  • Waterfall serves as a reliable STAB attack to deal damage and not be complete taunt bait
  • Water Veil is the superior ability here because Buizel abhors burns and the chance of your opponent running manual rain, to abuse Buizel's alternate ability in Swift Swim is virtually zero.
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • The given spread maximizes buizel's bulk to help it take common attacks like misdreavus' shadow ball and chinchou's thunderbolt better.
  • This set can baton pass boosts fast and reliably. Pokemon that can take advantage of this like Acrobatics Archen, Cranidos, Life Orb Mienfoo, etc make for good partners as they love the Speed boost and attack physically.
[Other options]
  • Buizel could utilize its alternate ability, swift swim, by using a rain dance set, however buizel's attacking movepool is shallow and leaves it rather easily walled. It is also too frail to set it up.
  • An all out attack set is possible, but it is too easily walled by common defensive pokemon like Porygon and Frillish.
  • Buizel can utilize a choice band to cripple walls with switcheroo, but a locked move is easy to take advantage of.
  • Quick attack can be used for priority but only hits certain things like Chinchou, Staryu and Lileep harder and it is better off using Return or the coverage move of choice.
  • Toxic can be used to cripple walls but Buizel is better off using Switcheroo to cripple them
[Checks and counters]
  • Chinchou isn't 2HKOed by any attacks and can ohko in return
  • Pokemon like Frillish, Porygon and Slowpoke can wall most sets
  • Bulky grass types like Lileep, Ferroseed and Foongus give most sets trouble
  • Mienfoo can easily wear it down with Fake Out+Drain Punch.
  • Pokemon like scarfkrow can revenge kill with sucker punch
  • Scarfed Snover changes the weather, outspeeds and ohkos with giga drain
  • Pokemon with prankster like cottonee and murkrow give the Baton Pass set a lot of trouble with encore and perish song or taunt, respectively. Taunt in general is a great way to deal with the Baton Pass set, with common pokemon like misdreavus utilizing it and preventing Buizel from setting up.
Edited the sets, please tell me if I should further edit anything before the QC checks.

Last edited:

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, you should probably familiarize yourself with these and these. In addition, there is literally no mention of Eviolite anywhere in the analysis, which is slightly more than a small problem.

Yeah, you should probably familiarize yourself with these and these. In addition, there is literally no mention of Eviolite anywhere in the analysis, which is slightly more than a small problem.
Well, I haven't added the BP set, which is the only set using eviolite. I didn't know grammar applied to the skeleton, sorry. Reading through the threads now.
EDIT- Ok, I've seen the rules and stuff, but I'm still having difficulty as to what I should change. Any help?
Second edit-Added the spaces between all slashes.
Also did a bunch of other stuff like updated the overview and removing short forms like LO or CB

Last edited:
Why aren't you including a BP set? Buizel is the fastest Baton Passer and can pass Bulk Up vs physical attackers. BP is probably the only reason I would use Buizel to be honest, and it can also pass Agility
also, the all-out-attacker set is pretty useless since Buizel has weak moves and can't really muscle through ANY defensive threats (Lileep, Porygon, Foongus, Misdreavus, or even Mienfoo). The only use of the Choice Band set is Switcheroo to cripple Lileep/Foongus/Porygon switchins, and LO can't even do that

Why aren't you including a BP set? Buizel is the fastest Baton Passer and can pass Bulk Up vs physical attackers. BP is probably the only reason I would use Buizel to be honest, and it can also pass Agility
also, the all-out-attacker set is pretty useless since Buizel has weak moves and can't really muscle through ANY defensive threats (Lileep, Porygon, Foongus, Misdreavus, or even Mienfoo). The only use of the Choice Band set is Switcheroo to cripple Lileep/Foongus/Porygon switchins, and LO can't even do that
Hmm.......ok. I will update this with the BP set. The all-out attacker set is on site. Though in retrospect, it kinda sucks.
So what I'm gonna put is:
  • The rain dance set
  • The CB set After discussion on IRC, it was decided this set will not be posted.
  • The BP set
Ok? Also can you please help me with the actual overview, checks and counters and stuff :3

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
[SET]
name: Baton passer
move 1: Baton pass
move 2: Agility
move 3: Bulk up
move 4: Waterfall
item: Eviolite
ability: Water Veil
evs: 76 HP / 196 SpDef / 236 Spe

• Buizel can run an effective baton pass set
  • It is the fastest baton passer which is useful for passing boosts
  • Agility increases Speed by +2 helping slower sweepers(like tirtouga) to sweep
  • Bulk up not only increases Attack but also Defense, making it less vulnerable to priority
  • Waterfall serves as a reliable STAB attack to deal damage and not be complete taunt bait
  • Water Veil is the superior ability here because Buizel abhors burns and manual rain is virtually nonexistent.
  • This set can baton pass boosts fast and reliably. Pokemon that can take advantage of this like Acrobatics Archen, Cranidos, Life Orb Mienfoo, etc make for good partners as they love the Speed boost and attack physically.
[SET]
name: Rain Dance
move 1: Rain Dance
move 2: Waterfall
move 3: Return
move 4: Aqua jet
item: Life Orb
ability: Swift Swim
evs: 76 HP / 236 Atk / 116 SpDef / 76 Spe
You might want to edit that sentence a bit.

You might want to edit that sentence a bit.
Huh? Which one? Water veil is the better ability for baton passer as it can attack on its own without being crippled by a burn. Do you mean I should add that it can't take advantage of swift swim?
Edit- Now I got it. I'll mention the chances of opposing team having rain dance is virtually zero. Also QC approval pls

I would like to see the BP set EV'd physically defensive as opposed to special; Buizel's SpD is already abysmal and the idea is to set up on physical attackers with Bulk Up, so you should make that as doable as you can. Other than that, make sure to abbreviate Special Defense as SpD in the EVs section
edit: actually, due to the way Buizel's EVs work, you're probably best off with a spread of 236 HP / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
there are some capitalization errors but I guess GP will fix that

QC Approved 1/3

I would like to see the BP set EV'd physically defensive as opposed to special; Buizel's SpD is already abysmal and the idea is to set up on physical attackers with Bulk Up, so you should make that as doable as you can. Other than that, make sure to abbreviate Special Defense as SpD in the EVs section
edit: actually, due to the way Buizel's EVs work, you're probably best off with a spread of 236 HP / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
there are some capitalization errors but I guess GP will fix that

QC Approved 1/3
Uh, ty for QC approval, but buizel needs the SpD imo. A 236 HP / 36 SpD / 236 Spe spread puts me at 19 speed, which I don't need with rain dance. Updating the OP with 1 QC approved check.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
One of your points says that Buizel can learn a variety of moves, but if that is the case why are you running the coverage-less Return on the Sweeper set?

One of your points says that Buizel can learn a variety of moves, but if that is the case why are you running the coverage-less Return on the Sweeper set?
Uh, it can learn a variety of moves, return provides the best coverage overall. The moves don't have to be GOOD.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
honestly while the stuff is good, the format is all wrong lol. i even went on #pokemon to make sure nothing changed, so im not going to formally qc check this until i see it have the usual [SET COMMENTS] [ADDITIONAL COMMENTS] because that makes a difference. set comments is commenting about move choices and stuff additional is evs and team mates and everything so yeah!

after thats changed link me again and ill rape your checks and counters sectionlol

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not a QC member any more but I was glancing over this thread and noticed that you could drastically improve / bolster the quality and content of your Checks and Counters section by including Prankster Pokemon like COTTONEE who can Encore the BP set to death or MURKROW whose occasional Perish Song throws the BP set off course. Don't forget to mention Taunt users in general as BP / RD sets both are quite useless unless they can set up successfully. Just my two cents.

honestly while the stuff is good, the format is all wrong lol. i even went on #pokemon to make sure nothing changed, so im not going to formally qc check this until i see it have the usual [SET COMMENTS] [ADDITIONAL COMMENTS] because that makes a difference. set comments is commenting about move choices and stuff additional is evs and team mates and everything so yeah!

after thats changed link me again and ill rape your checks and counters sectionlol
Shit, this just made me feel dumb af. Editing now.
I'm not a QC member any more but I was glancing over this thread and noticed that you could drastically improve / bolster the quality and content of your Checks and Counters section by including Prankster Pokemon like COTTONEE who can Encore the BP set to death or MURKROW whose occasional Perish Song throws the BP set off course. Don't forget to mention Taunt users in general as BP / RD sets both are quite useless unless they can set up successfully. Just my two cents.
Oh hey electrolyte! Glad to see you're not completely gone from smogon! Making the changes atm.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)