SV OU Balance team reached 1850

Balance has always been my favourite playstyle, and while I found moderate success with this team reaching 1850, I am looking for potential improvements I could make to improve matchups into generally popular pokemon and teams.

Kyurem @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Draco Meteor

Kyurem was the main starting point for my team, with it being such a threatening pokemon that can output high damage with very few switch ins. The heavy duty-boots moveset is my favourite as it gives kyurem more longevity, allowing in safely repeatedly, which is important as it is my main counter to ogerpon-w. The ability to change moves is great too, as I can pop gholdengo's air balloon on switch in, and then knock it out after with earth power and tera ground, which also picks up a 2 hit ko on slowking-galar.

Slowking-Galar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Future Sight
- Chilly Reception
- Sludge Bomb
- Thunder Wave

Slowking-galar was an obvious pick, a staple on balance team that can take on the majority of special attackers include dangerous fairy types such as iron valiant, enamorus and Primarina. Slowking-galar is Kyurem's best friend, setting up snow with chilly reception boosting kyurem's defence and bringing it in safely. Future sight is great too, countering stall by stacking powerful attacks at the same time. I opted for thunder wave as the fourth move to slow down and cripple pokemon who try to fodder slowking for setup like volcarona.

Ogerpon-Wellspring @ Wellspring Mask
Ability: Water Absorb
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ivy Cudgel
- Horn Leech
- U-turn
- Encore

Ogerpon-wellspring seemed like a good choice, due to it's natural offensive type synergy with kyurem, who can hit grass types and dragon types that try to resist ogerpons duel stab combinations. The pivot variant with u-turn is the one I went for, as it allows me to bring in kyurem safely. Ogerpon is one of the top offensive pokemon in the tier, so it is great at dealing damage and making progress on opposing balance teams. Encore is a great move too, locking pokemon like corviknight into recovery moves and stopping setup sweepers like kingambit and calm mind hatterene.

Kingambit @ Leftovers
Ability: Supreme Overlord
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Kowtow Cleave
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Kingambit is the cleaner or win condition for the team, who can easily win matches once opposing defensive cores have been weakened. I went with the HP invested EV spread as sucker punches priority often eliminates the need for speed investment and the ability to sponge hits from the likes of gholdengo and dragapult paired with the gradual recovery of leftovers allows kingambit to serve a defensive role early on in games too. Defensive tera fairy gives kingambit a much better matchup into zamazenta and great tusk, who are both 2 hit koed by iron head at +2 with 2 fainted allies.

Great Tusk @ Leftovers
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Body Press
- Rapid Spin

I decided to use great tusk as part of my defensive core, a staple in the meta who can keep hazards off reliably. The standard defensive set lets it serve as a great wall, who can sponge hits and retaliate with earthquake and body press, which is uncommon but I decided to try it out for the surprise knockouts on roaring moon and samurott-hisui. Great tusk comfortably takes on threatening pokemon like kingambit, iron boulder without zen headbutt, and cinderace. Great tusk also serves as the stealth rock setter for the team, and the speed evs allow it to be faster than max speed kingambit. Tera water allows it to more comfortably take on the likes of gouging fire and ogerpon-w's ivy cudgel.

Moltres @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- U-turn
- Roost

Moltres was one of my favourite pokemon in gen 8, due to it's great defensive capabilities. It naturally synergises well with great tusk, who can take on rock type coverage moves like stone edge on zamazenta and head smash on great tusk (which I have seen quite a few times). It also keeps stealth rock off which can be a big liability for moltres when it gets knocked off. Moltres is faster than max speed kingambit, and has will o wisp to permanently cripple physical attackers like roaring moon and kingambit. It has a naturally good matchup into gholdengo, and tera dragon allows it to take hits from ogerpon and retaliate with a burn.

Congrats on your climb.

Since you are looking for improvements, I’ll budge.

I think the team structure you have is really solid. Gking/Gambit/Tusk is a solid Balance core and Moltres is a nice glue.

However the team has some problems. The main one being that it is rather slow, even with the Kingambit. One matchup where this becomes a problem is with Darkrai who outspeeds and 2HKOs/OHKOs everything on the team. Your only way out is to Tera Wogre for the SpD boost. Having few ways to rkill Wogre is also rough, you either need to trade blows with Kingambit, Tera Dragon Molt, or swap to Kyurem and hope its not Play Rough.

Here’s a revamped version of the team and a description for the changes I made.

IMG_4377.png
IMG_5478.png
IMG_4647.png
IMG_5482.png
IMG_5481.png
IMG_4609.png

https://pokepast.es/1eb761f25241dff0

IMG_4377.png
Change: Draco Meteor > Body Press
Draco on Boots Kyurem is pretty mid. I considered Scale Shot or Rock Slide for Volc, but then I saw Body Press in the builder. This is wack asf, but it 3HKOs Blissey, 2HKOs Balloon Gambit, and OHKOs Weavile. I also added some extra dfse EVs and its speed tier sits at 311, right above max speed Lando.

IMG_5478.png
Change: Tera Fairy > Tera Water
Since I swapped out Wogre, I went with Tera Water so you don’t get swept by Wake.

IMG_8858.png
>
IMG_4647.png

Kyurem + Future Sight is good enough to force progress and break holes. The team needed extra speed, so I went with Dragapult who also improves your matchup into Wogre. Darkrai is still probably hell for this team, but you at least have a way to rkill it.

IMG_5481.png
Change: Body Press > Ice Spinner/Earthquake > Headlong Rush/Tera Water > Tera Poison/Defensive > More Offensive
Ice Spinnerless Tusk is terrible, and EQ + BP means Balloon Ghold always gets to spinblock you. Not to mention Gliscor and Lando come in for free. Always run Spinner on it. Tera Poison helps with the Wogre matchup while blocking Toxic from Glowking and Gliscor. I changed the Tusk spread to be more offensive with enough speed to outrun R-Bolt and 96 SpD letting it live a Make it Rain at full. That is also why I changed EQ to Headlong Rush.

Alternatively you can also run Zama over Pult which helps with both Wogre, Gambit, Samu, and Darkrai in the same slot.

Congrats on your climb.

Since you are looking for improvements, I’ll budge.

I think the team structure you have is really solid. Gking/Gambit/Tusk is a solid Balance core and Moltres is a nice glue.

However the team has some problems. The main one being that it is rather slow, even with the Kingambit. One matchup where this becomes a problem is with Darkrai who outspeeds and 2HKOs/OHKOs everything on the team. Your only way out is to Tera Wogre for the SpD boost. Having few ways to rkill Wogre is also rough, you either need to trade blows with Kingambit, Tera Dragon Molt, or swap to Kyurem and hope its not Play Rough.

Here’s a revamped version of the team and a description for the changes I made.

View attachment 627980View attachment 627981View attachment 627982View attachment 627983View attachment 627984View attachment 627985
https://pokepast.es/1eb761f25241dff0

View attachment 627986Change: Draco Meteor > Body Press
Draco on Boots Kyurem is pretty mid. I considered Scale Shot or Rock Slide for Volc, but then I saw Body Press in the builder. This is wack asf, but it 3HKOs Blissey, 2HKOs Balloon Gambit, and OHKOs Weavile. I also added some extra dfse EVs and its speed tier sits at 311, right above max speed Lando.

View attachment 627988Change: Tera Fairy > Tera Water
Since I swapped out Wogre, I went with Tera Water so you don’t get swept by Wake.

View attachment 627987> View attachment 627990
Kyurem + Future Sight is good enough to force progress and break holes. The team needed extra speed, so I went with Dragapult who also improves your matchup into Wogre. Darkrai is still probably hell for this team, but you at least have a way to rkill it.

View attachment 627991Change: Body Press > Ice Spinner/Earthquake > Headlong Rush/Tera Water > Tera Poison/Defensive > More Offensive
Ice Spinnerless Tusk is terrible, and EQ + BP means Balloon Ghold always gets to spinblock you. Not to mention Gliscor and Lando come in for free. Always run Spinner on it. Tera Poison helps with the Wogre matchup while blocking Toxic from Glowking and Gliscor. I changed the Tusk spread to be more offensive with enough speed to outrun R-Bolt and 96 SpD letting it live a Make it Rain at full. That is also why I changed EQ to Headlong Rush.

Alternatively you can also run Zama over Pult which helps with both Wogre, Gambit, Samu, and Darkrai in the same slot.
Hey man, thank you so much for these improvements and I will definetly try them out on the ladder soon!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)